IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

You would have said the same when Eddie Howe was appointed as head coach at Bournemouth in League 2..

Personally i would be less optimistic if we appointed a bigger name - because if they were all that, they wouldnt end up here.

Give me a fairly unknown manager that has shown some ability, all day long

Eddie Howe a bit of an exceptional case isn't it.

For every Eddie Howe there a multitude of ones that have no success. We have had a number ourselves. Are we and when I say we, I mean the hierarchy just going to hope that one of these appointments works for once. 

If so, is that is more hope than expectation.

• Like 2

Just now, supercidered said:

Eddie Howe a bit of an exceptional case isn't it.

For every Eddie Howe there a multitude of ones that have no success. We have had a number ourselves. Are we and when I say we, I mean the hierarchy just going to hope that one of these appointments works for once. 

If so, is that is more hope than expectation.

Is he?

EVERY manager started somewhere!

Just now, italian dave said:

I know……but that wasn’t my question to WSM

Think thats what he was alluding to

Of course we all wish him every success (if confirmed) but you cannot blame people for having serious reservations about bringing in such a greenhorn after showing a popular manager with a solid track record the door. Especially as NP was still mopping up from the last time the Lansdowns smeared the place in their own excrement.

We all hoped against hope that Holden would do the business, but hardly anyone thought it would be anything other than an unmitigated disaster in all honesty.

It is, at best, an almighty gamble. Based on previous appointments by the Lansdowns, particularly of the “young, up-and-coming manager” variety I am deeply pessimistic. LM isn’t going to have much of a honeymoon period with the fans.

• Like 1

43 years since we were last in the top flight.

18 years since judge me on Tinnion.

7 years ago since Lee Johnson was at the helm and given millions.

Been taking my 28 year old daughter to the Gate for 25 years and she has not seen top flight football 

I have been going myself regularly for 40 years and never seen it.

Yet all I am seeing now is the normal, take it up the wrong ‘un City fan acceptance and the “give it time” type posts as we endure the latest Lansdown managed “reset”.

I feel I have given it quite enough time and I pray that the Lansdowns (and Tinnion) are out of this club very, very soon.

Back when I was 13 I would have laughed at suggestions I may not see top flight football in my lifetime but as we bounce around from one “give it a couple of years”  to the next reset I do wonder ….. !!

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

No offence to the bloke at all and I wish him the absolute best, but whatever happens this is still one of the most ridiculous, unnecessary and stupid decisions in the whole tenure of the Lansdown's.

Whichever way you look at it, to sack a manager who had been doing pretty well, a manager with a proven record of promotion from League One AND the Championship and with a history of building good teams, to then decide that what would be an upgrade is a manager who has done not much more than turn around MK Dons to an extent and have a good start to the season with Oxford.... it's a totally stupid and unnecessary risk and defies all logic whichever perspective you take.

A completely unnecessary and ridiculous appointment, but that isn't Manning's fault. He has a good win % and there are reasons for optimism, and he'll get my full backing. But he is anything but an upgrade on Pearson, and we shouldn't be anywhere near this place of having to consider him in the first place.

Its like swapping a Rolls Royce for a Ford Focus. Absolutely ridiculous decision. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

Lots of the stuff Lee talked about was very valid imo, he just didn't have a good way of explaining/communicating it and relied too much on little quips and phrases that just sounded... naff. The annoyance for me was that he overindulged himself on those aspects, not that he talked about them in the first place.

However, just because another manager views the game in a similar way doesn't mean we should dismiss it out of hand. Even if lots of managers - Pearson even, wouldn't use those words, I'm absolutely sure he thinks about the same things and likely in the same rough terms.

Give the bloke a chance ffs.

I agree about LJ.  Football is a game of tiny margins, so any little thing (whether it's the length of the grass, knowledge of how the NHS deal with crises or whatever) that increases your chances is worth pursuing.  Wenger was considered radical when he tried to get his players eating better food.  LJ's problem was that he wasn't good enough at the fundamentals, so all these little boosts weren't enough to compensate for his more significant shortcomings

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

These stats against them fills be with so much confidence. Rovers had 10 men for a third of the game.

Screenshot_20231106_142933_Samsung Internet.jpg

I watched that game, and Oxford played them off the park. Really well worked goal, and missed 2 absolute sitters that should’ve made it 3 or 4-1. 

You’ve obviously already made your mind up on him, fair enough, but just try and look at the positive sides too - it might help!

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

No offence to the bloke at all and I wish him the absolute best, but whatever happens this is still one of the most ridiculous, unnecessary and stupid decisions in the whole tenure of the Lansdown's.

Whichever way you look at it, to sack a manager who had been doing pretty well, a manager with a proven record of promotion from League One AND the Championship and with a history of building good teams, to then decide that what would be an upgrade is a manager who has done not much more than turn around MK Dons to an extent and have a good start to the season with Oxford.... it's a totally stupid and unnecessary risk and defies all logic whichever perspective you take.

A completely unnecessary and ridiculous appointment, but that isn't Manning's fault. He has a good win % and there are reasons for optimism, and he'll get my full backing. But he is anything but an upgrade on Pearson, and we shouldn't be anywhere near this place of having to consider him in the first place.

This for me suggests 100% that it’s Tinnion’s show now, and he heavily influenced the decision to get rid of Nige. Not a chance in hell Steve or Jon are thinking ‘hmmm….Liam Manning at Oxford looks good…’

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Spot on.

We inevitably get sucked in to the “Will he / won’t he be a success?” debate but it is incredibly infuriating we even find ourselves in this position. Just goes back to the point that the Lansdowns keep making hiring and firing decisions that appear to show a laughable lack of judgement, but somehow those they bring in always carry the can while they have zero accountability and keep on making these ropey decisions with impunity.

If Manning turns out to be another Dean H their position would be untenable considering there was next to no serious clamour for Nige to fall on his proverbial sword.

• Like 1

A few points kept brief:

1. I didn't want Pearson sacked so I'm not going to be "happy" per se with any appointment for the simple reason that I don't think we should be appointing a new manager at this moment of time.
  2. Given we are making an appointment, I ultimately want the right man for the club. I don't think any particular background "proves" a manager will be a success and you can spin an appointment any which way you like. Manning has never managed at this level before but that doesn't mean he can't succeed in doing so any more than someone with a track record definitely will. Steve Bruce, Mark Hughes and Tony Pulis are all far more experienced managers that I'd not necessarily back to do better than Manning. 
  3. It was pretty clear from Tinnion's, Lansdown's and Marshall's interviews what sort of manager we were after and personally I'm glad that the club have at least made the type of appointment they've said they were going to make and will succeed or fail on their own terms.
  4. I do think what has been missing from this discussion is the fact that the Lansdowns evidently have a long-standing desire to be credited for "discovering" a talented manager nobody else has previously given an opportunity to at this level and I think that aspect has been largely overlooked in terms of what's gone wrong with Cotterill and Pearson. I don't necessarily think it is a case of whether the Landsdowns got on with those managers so much as whether they'd get the publicity they wanted if those managers succeeded.
  5. I do get a bit frustrated with the idea that an inexperienced manager is automatically a "yes man". I disagree that those two things follow on. 
Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 10
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

Is he?

EVERY manager started somewhere!

Think thats what he was alluding to

I know. But I asked him to explain what he meant when he refereed to Liam Manning’s “bullshit bingo”. And his reply was to make reference to us getting promoted this season. Something Liam Manning has never said.

My point is that JL and/or BT have said something that @W-S-M Seagull thinks is ridiculous - as do many of us. Yet the person he’s holding to account for it is the one person who’s never expressed a view on it at all!

And, the only example of “bullshit bingo” he’s given me is something that two other people said.

Like I said, just give the guy a chance. He manages our club. I wish him all the best. I hope he gets us promoted this season. I think it’s unlikely. If he doesn’t, I hope he gets us promoted next season. And as long as he’s with us,

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

A few points kept brief:

1. I didn't want Pearson sacked so I'm not going to be "happy" per se with any appointment for the simple reason that I don't think we should be appointing a new manager at this moment of time.
  2. Given we are making appointment, I ultimately want the right man for the club. I don't think any particular background "proves" a manager will be a success and you can spin an appointment any which way you like. Manning has never managed at this level before but that doesn't mean he can't succeed in doing so any more than someone with a track record definitely will. Steve Bruce, Mark Hughes and Tony Pulis are all far more experienced managers that I'd not necessarily back to do better than Manning. 
  3. It was pretty clear from Tinnion's, Lansdown's and Marshall's interviews what sort of manager we were after and personally I'm glad that the club have at least made the type of appointment they've said they were going to make and will succeed or fail on their own terms.
  4. I do think what has been missing from this discussion is the fact that the Lansdowns evidently have a long-standing desire to be credited for "discovering" a talented manager nobody else has previously given an opportunity to at this level and I think that aspect has been largely overlooked in terms of what's gone wrong with Cotterill and Pearson. I don't necessarily think it is a case of whether the Landsdowns got on with those managers so much as whether they'd get the publicity they wanted if those managers succeeded.
  5. I do get a bit frustrated with the idea that an inexperienced manager is automatically a "yes man". I disagree that those two things follow on. 

Kept brief he says 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

If Manning turns out to be another Dean H their position would be untenable considering there was next to no serious clamour for Nige to fall on his proverbial sword.

How is your position untenable if you own the club (SL), and you are employed by your Dad (JL)? 

If Manning fails, they will throw BT under the bus. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

A few points kept brief:

2. Given we are making appointment, I ultimately want the right man for the club. I don't think any particular background "proves" a manager will be a success and you can spin an appointment any which way you like. Manning has never managed at this level before but that doesn't mean he can't succeed in doing so any more than someone with a track record definitely will. Steve Bruce, Mark Hughes and Tony Pulis are all far more experienced managers that I'd not necessarily back to do better than Manning. 

Summed up pretty much how I feel about it on almost every point.

• Like 1

It just seems a very Bristol City appointment going for a cheap option from a lower league 

We had the chance to try something different not necessarily appointing a big name but looking in leagues we don’t usually look in. Instead we’ve reverted to type and if you keep doing the same things normally the end result is the same 

Nothing against Manning but i fully expect the cycle to go round again just like it has while SL has been our owner 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I know. But I asked him to explain what he meant when he refereed to Liam Manning’s “bullshit bingo”. And his reply was to make reference to us getting promoted this season. Something Liam Manning has never said.

My point is that JL and/or BT have said something that @W-S-M Seagull thinks is ridiculous - as do many of us. Yet the person he’s holding to account for it is the one person who’s never expressed a view on it at all!

And, the only example of “bullshit bingo” he’s given me is something that two other people said.

Like I said, just give the guy a chance. He manages our club. I wish him all the best. I hope he gets us promoted this season. I think it’s unlikely. If he doesn’t, I hope he gets us promoted next season. And as long as he’s with us,

No I watched some seminar and the similarities with LJ was all to similar. 

Football is a simple game. Trying to over complicate things with experienced pros like Matty James isn't going to work. James will tell his to shove his rectangles up where the son doesn't shine.

His record isn't too much better than LJs either. 

This is just another failed project about to happen by the Lansdowns. We've been here too many times before. 

• Facepalm 2

8 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

NOBODY FROM THE CLUB SAID IT WAS GOING TO BE AN EXCITING APPOINTMENT. 

HOW MANY MORE TIMES???????

Yes I for one would like the club to announce Manning and make it very clear "WE DID NOT SAY YOU WOULD BE EXCITED". That should help get fans back on board.

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

1 minute ago, East Londoner said:

It just seems a very Bristol City appointment going for a cheap option from a lower league 

We had the chance to try something different not necessarily appointing a big name but looking in leagues we don’t usually look in. Instead we’ve reverted to type and if you keep doing the same things normally the end result is the same 

Nothing against Manning but i fully expect the cycle to go round again just like it has while SL has been our owner 

I fully expect us to give this guy some big backing because he is their guy and they will do all that needs to be done to prove their decision was the right one. 

It's possible that we're going to need Pearson back here to clean up the mess when yet another project fails.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

No I watched some seminar and the similarities with LJ was all to similar. 

Football is a simple game. Trying to over complicate things with experienced pros like Matty James isn't going to work. James will tell his to shove his rectangles up where the son doesn't shine.

His record isn't too much better than LJs either. 

This is just another failed project about to happen by the Lansdowns. We've been here too many times before. 

I've said my bit. I think he should be given the chance and judged by what he does at Ashton Gate. And as long as he's here I'll support him in trying to achieve success. You've clearly decided otherwise. 

Didn’t want Pearson to go, but I’m okay with this appointment as a decision in isolation.

So much happier with this than a Rowett, or a Jones etc. 

If you listen to some of his interviews, it’s very clear that culture and character are high on his agenda when signing players and building a squad - much like Pearson. 

Good luck to him. 

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Why wouldn't he ?

Tinion/someone questioning playing King above an academy player seems to have been what brought this to a final head. 

As someone above says they think there is a chance he will be taking a hike. Either way I’m interested to see how it plays out.