IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

11 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

I for one can't wait for the announcement so some can move on from pearson it's getting abit out of hand now 

The only thing that makes a good chunk move on is if the new man is a clear upgrade on the incumbent IMO.

Unsure Manning if it's him will get much of a honeymoon period. It's a shame, not his fault but there will be an expectant audience, perhaps with some scepticism too.

All he can do is win games and hit the ground running and maybe get some momentum.

That's all he can do- he will get a chance but patience with this change isn't very strong.

Doesn't change the fact that NP was stitched good and proper though.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

When city fans say we've gone for the "cheap option" 🤬🤦‍♂️ Such a dumb thing to say

There is no such thing!

A bad manager will cost a club millions in the long run

And I’d say a cheap option is someone without a club, not someone who we’re paying a 6 figure sum to get out of their current job. 

• Like 4

Looks like the type of appointment we have been crying out for. Young manager plucked from the league below like many of our players. Has worked hard to move up through academy coaching to coaching abroad and lower league with pretty good success at all 3 clubs. What LJ was supposed to be but come here for the wrong reasons. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, italian dave said:

And, out of interest, do you think he should be given money to spend? And did you think Pearson should have been given money to spend?

Because this is another example where people seem to be holding decisions made by other people and a previous regime against someone who was nothing to do with those decisions. Not saying that with you in mind, hence my question.

If we need to spend money to strengthen the squad then we need to spend money. If it was the wrong decision under Pearson, then it doesn't suddenly make it the right decision under his successor. And it's certainly not something to use as a stick to beat that successor with.

The club have stated that they believe that we have a squad that should be challenging. 

So with that in mind then any investment into the playing side should be minimal? And along the lines of what Pearson was likely to have recieved in the next window. 

My concern is that this guys system doesn't fit with what we've currently got and therefore hes going to need lots of money in order to get in the players that fit his system. 

Thats not the route I thought we were going down. I was under the impression that we'd ve bringing in someone who could work with the players and system that we already have. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

When city fans say we've gone for the "cheap option" 🤬🤦‍♂️ Such a dumb thing to say

There is no such thing!

In fairness the internal promotion of Holden was genuinely the cheap option at the time, not the case here though 

Much like Holden, I won’t blame Manning for taking the job. It was only this time last year he was sacked by MK Dons in League Two! Yet here were are 12 months on willing to pay a six-figure sum to bring him here. I thought we had no cash?! 

At MK Dons, he had Twine and Darling sold above his head so he’ll be used to losing his best players and not having them replaced with sufficient (or better) quality, so he should be happy to do the same here all in the name of the owner’s nest egg.

I imagine another attractive tick in the box for the board, or shall I say Tinnion, is he’s happy to put up with interference and deferring on recruitment. 

I can’t wait for the press conference when Manning blows smoke up the Lansdowns’ arses, tells us all how we’re a PL club in waiting, and talks about our vast potential. All that without managing a single game at this level and not knowing that he’s walking into a shit show. 

JL said this is the best squad he’s ever seen, that we have a top-10 budget, and the top six is the goal. So best of luck, Liam. You will need bucket loads of it. 

Lansdowns out.

Edited by tin
  • Like 13

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

The club have stated that they believe that we have a squad that should be challenging. 

So with that in mind then any investment into the playing side should be minimal? And along the lines of what Pearson was likely to have recieved in the next window. 

My concern is that this guys system doesn't fit with what we've currently got and therefore hes going to need lots of money in order to get in the players that fit his system. 

Thats not the route I thought we were going down. I was under the impression that we'd ve bringing in someone who could work with the players and system that we already have. 

Well, maybe BT/JL have been playing Bullshit Bingo ?

8 minutes ago, Riaz said:

There is no such thing!

You say that as if we didn't make that mistake with LJ.

Or Holden.

Or Millen.

Or Tinnion.

21 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I still don’t understand why Nige is not here

1. They don't like criticism.

2. Tinnion convinced them he knows more about training and fitness etc than Pearson and Rennie. 

3. They wanted to go in a different direction with a younger, more hands-on coach.

4. Nige was never going to be renewed, so why wait until the summer because plans for player recruitment need to be put in place now.

But why they couldn't just explain that, instead of lying or talking bollox, is beyond me.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, tin said:

Much like Holden, I won’t blame Manning for taking the job. It was only this time last year he was sacked by MK Dons in League Two! Yet here were are 12 months on willing to pay a six-figure sum to bring him here. I thought we had no cash?! 

At MK Dons, he had Twine and Darling sold above his head so he’ll be used to losing his best players and not having them replaced with sufficient (or better) quality, so he should be happy to do the same here all in the name of the owner’s nest egg.

I imagine another attractive tick in the box for the board, or shall I say Tinnion, is he’s happy to put up with interference and deferring on recruitment. 

I can’t wait for the press conference when Manning blows smoke up the Lansdowns’ arses, tells us all how we’re a PL club in waiting, and talks about our vast potential. All that without managing a single game at this level and not knowing that he’s walking into a shit show. 

JL said this is the best squad he’s ever seen, that we have a top-10 budget, and the top six is the goal. So best of luck, Liam. You will need bucket loads of it. 

Lansdowns out.

I'm sticking £20 on hearing the phrase "Sleeping Giant" sometime soon

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Looks like the type of appointment we have been crying out for. Young manager plucked from the league below like many of our players. Has worked hard to move up through academy coaching to coaching abroad and lower league with pretty good success at all 3 clubs. What LJ was supposed to be but come here for the wrong reasons. 

Whilst I agree on the coaching side, it could well be a good appointment. And I think it will be. My fear is the structure above him and is it strong and experienced enough to handle the non coaching side of things. Time will tell.

39 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

No offence to the bloke at all and I wish him the absolute best, but whatever happens this is still one of the most ridiculous, unnecessary and stupid decisions in the whole tenure of the Lansdown's.

Whichever way you look at it, to sack a manager who had been doing pretty well, a manager with a proven record of promotion from League One AND the Championship and with a history of building good teams, to then decide that what would be an upgrade is a manager who has done not much more than turn around MK Dons to an extent and have a good start to the season with Oxford.... it's a totally stupid and unnecessary risk and defies all logic whichever perspective you take.

A completely unnecessary and ridiculous appointment, but that isn't Manning's fault. He has a good win % and there are reasons for optimism, and he'll get my full backing. But he is anything but an upgrade on Pearson, and we shouldn't be anywhere near this place of having to consider him in the first place.

This is how I feel, he might be ok, (in league 1, for a quarter of a season so far) but he is by all measures a downgrade on what we had just over a week ago.

This is the biggest gamble they have taken and shows that they would rather have a unknown who will not question their authority than a proven quantity that didn't completely toe the line. 

• Like 1

Just now, NewquayRed said:

What excites me about this is that he obviously sees plenty of potential in this squad to make what is a pretty high risk move for him, ballsy decision when he's plane sailing at Oxford presently.  Get's my vote that 

If he's actually joining us ⬇️

1 minute ago, Ian M said:

He took training today too.

Source: Carey6 whose mate plays for Oxford 😅

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

What system does he emply that won't suit our players? always difficult to tell from highlights but I've been watching some and they seem to get a good few goals by moving from back to front very quickly with 2-3 passes to move the ball from defenders to forwards, which could easily be made to suit our players I think. 

They also look like they can retain possession and dominate teams when necessary, so from what I have seen he looks to be exactly the type of manager we want.

As I've said many times I think the timing of all this is a massive risk and bloody stupid but that doesn't mean I think someone like Manning is anywhere near a bad appointment and I am actually quite excited to see qyt he can do but at the same time concerned that he might be on a hiding to nothing because of the boards decisions.