IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

Why is there so much talk about him being young and progressive like its something weve never done before? LJ and Holden were young and progressive. LJ dismantled one of the best teams we have had in 40 years and left Holden a bloated squad that could easily have got us relegated. Now we get to do it all again.... it doesnt fill me with any kind of excitement. 

3 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Well bully for you

It's not the teams it's the method and results

He's improved all of them 

JL promised we’d be excited by the appointment, I really don’t see how he could make that assumption, he really isn’t an exciting appointment, if you think he is, fair enough I’ve obviously got higher standards.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

What's your point?

League 1 managers all know nothing about football and all "bullshit" their way into jobs?

Any manager who has been fired from a job is automatically a bad manager and we should assume they don't know what they're talking about?

Exactly he should know his  place , telling all the experts on here about football, bullshitting bastard 😤

if he’s reading this forum he will be feeling the love 

1 minute ago, BCFCGav said:

For anyone getting home from work and wanting to kill time to the announcement, have a look at the Manning thread on the Oxford forum. The switch from ‘if it happens, we’ll be fine!’, ‘he has so much integrity’, ‘he’s done fantastic whatever happens next!’ to sheer rage when the stories broke this morning is very funny. 

FWIW, I’m really pleased it’s him (I suppose I should still say ‘if’ really). Unsure at first but looking at his work so far in his fledging career, I think he has something. Here’s hoping Ashton Gate is where he really makes his name as he wins us the play-offs 😁🔴⚪

Not without an put and put striker he won’t

3 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

I meant more in his style of play, and approach. There were signs of a change approach in how he set up defensive blocks and space control, but not to the level that successful sides are showing.

Ipswich showed that in abundance just 2 weeks ago. 

Team was evolving under NP btw.

1) When he took over confidence was on the floor, injury hit..and you know bad apples or cycle at an end while trying out new players too. We were 4-4-2ish but not always.

2) Next phase came early 2021-22..The entrance of Scott and the return of Pring, initially as a LM. Sort of a 4-4-1-1 with shades of 4-3-3.

3) Switching a bit  between a back 3 and 4 but mainly the former, during 2021-22..this system remained in situ until Swansea at home 2nd half early 2023 in the Cup.

4) Since then we have been a broadly speaking 4-3-3 side..A thoroughly modern set-up, NP's Plan A in fact but he felt we lacked the players or the profile of player in September 2021.

Injuries have bitten but could go a step further if Naismith was a regular in midfield and switch between a back 3.and 4 during different phases of the game. Naismith can drop between the centre backs.

Chuckling at some of the posters on here. What has arrogance got to do with some showing disappointment in the potential appointment of Manning. We were advised it would be an exciting appointment. The coach of Oxford United doesn’t fill me with excitement. I feel hugely underwhelmed but not surprised. Hopefully he hits the ground running. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Is Branagan going to be the difference between promotion or not? I doubt it.

Would any of the other 9 clubs with a top 10 budget be looking to sign Branagan? I doubt it

If this is really what we got to look forward to the it’s worse than we thought!

I stated if it was anyone it would probably be Branagan, because he is generally acknowledged as their best player.  I didn't say WE WOULD be signing him?  Please do not create a story, where none exists, just because it suits your agenda?

1 minute ago, frenchred said:

How can it be a perfectly acceptable if not a very good choice for us. You talk in riddles and bullshit!

Nearly every team plays roughly the same way, Pass Pass pass to boredom, no keepers kick long and no one leaves anyone upfront when defending a corner

Thinking coaches are gone, they all have the badges that tell them how to coach and that's it, boring

Thanks for the constructive response. Not sure how I'm talking in 'riddles and bullshit' so feel free to elaborate.

I respect your opinion, but I would heavily challenge you about all teams playing the same, and how they work through attacking transitions with ball at feet and into defensive shapes. A good example of that yesterday was Forest v Villa. 2 very different playing sides. Forest tactically set-up and outplayed Villa, and had to work hard to execute it. 

Just because the coaches have the same badges means very little. 

The best teams reflect an identity of their manager, and play to a certain approach. This is what I reference about the game changing. If you genuinely want to know more, read Tim Rich's book about Bielsa. 

36 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

This thread has the makings of a OTIB classic.

Mark my words there will be some humble pie being served in 6-12 months time. Manning has a tough job but we as supporters are so out of touch with modern football coaching in the main - we are the WORST people to determine he is the wrong person for this club.

Speak to people in the game and read up about Manning and based on who we are, it's a perfectly acceptable if not a very good choice for us. 

Too many on here are blinkered by football manager and 'names' that they fail to see, the game of football has evolved massively in the last 24 months. At professional level, it's being played in a way and system not seen before and some clubs will get left behind. 

NP was stuck in the old school approach (nothing wrong with that, if your thing) but we've actually gone and got ourselves a progressive coach, that develops youth and yet posters are besides themselves at who is coming in. 

I understand what a forum is for, but some perspective wouldn't be a bad thing. 

Amongst some of the comments I disagree with on this thread this was well thought through and positioned and I read it with interest. 

I will quite happily eat some humble pie in 6 months time if he gets us promotion. If he doesn’t and he’s sacked will the people that think this is a good appointment do the same? 

Regarding developing youth players and giving them a chance no one has done that more than Pearson has done that in the last 10 years; out of necessity perhaps, but he still did it and those players appreciate it. 

43 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Exactly. There will be endless posts about "getting behind the team", "give the guy a chance", "go support the gas if you don't like it" ... the lansdowns have their own unpaid PR drones on here 

Yep, definitely.  

There’s supporting your club and there’s allowing yourself to be taken for mugs.  I think a sizeable percentage of our fanbase have allowed themselves to be conned into the latter group!

Just now, One Team said:

Amongst some of the comments I disagree with on this thread this was well thought through and positioned and I read it with interest. 

I will quite happily eat some humble pie in 6 months time if he gets us promotion. If he doesn’t and he’s sacked will the people that think this is a good appointment do the same? 

Regarding developing youth players and giving them a chance no one has done that more than Pearson has done that in the last 10 years; out of necessity perhaps, but he still did it and those players appreciate it. 

Pearson did a very good job. But I think the club felt he had hit a glass ceiling. 

Not taking anything away from what he did, we have MUCH to be thankful about during his era, this was about ensuring we now kick on again.

2 hours ago, TV Tom said:

McClaren has been in and out of Man U for donkeys years but has done **** all as a manager

That's not the point, the question was who has heard of McKenna I was just comparing CV's prior to being appointed and pointing out his experience in the premier league against Manning who has never coached above league 1.

1 minute ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Pearson did a very good job. But I think the club felt he had hit a glass ceiling. 

Not taking anything away from what he did, we have MUCH to be thankful about during his era, this was about ensuring we now kick on again.

Nice to have a debate with someone where our opinions don’t align but can do so in the right way. 👍

• Like 1

Would've been helpful if the person who said it at the time linked the tweet with it, only thing I can find from Tinnion on twitter from October 29th onwards is him replying to someone about Sound of the City (though Fevs raises a good point about twitter not being great about this stuff in the Musk era).

As for Manning, like another poster said, excited is a strong word but certainly intrigued at least to see what he can do here.

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I stated if it was anyone it would probably be Branagan, because he is generally acknowledged as their best player.  I didn't say WE WOULD be signing him?  Please do not create a story, where none exists, just because it suits your agenda?

I’m also not stating we would sign him, purely pointing out why we shouldn’t

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Why is there so much talk about him being young and progressive like its something weve never done before? LJ and Holden were young and progressive. LJ dismantled one of the best teams we have had in 40 years and left Holden a bloated squad that could easily have got us relegated. Now we get to do it all again.... it doesnt fill me with any kind of excitement. 

Slightly different in the fact that Manning has been a coach since he was 21, Been to lots of different countries, learnt lots of philosophies under lots of different coaches,  Holden.....well Holden will never be a Number 1 he's a good coach and a good assistant, but that is it, Manning has improved MK Dons and Oxford and plays the sort of football we want i think it is a good fit. He will need time to get his views across. Sadly though if he loses the 1st couple people will be on his back.

1 hour ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Whilst I agree on the coaching side, it could well be a good appointment. And I think it will be. My fear is the structure above him and is it strong and experienced enough to handle the non coaching side of things. Time will tell.

This will always be the case I am afraid. Have to hope they have either learned or get extremely lucky. Idk what to make of this Tinnion stuff. He seems to have an eye for young talent and progressing them. The other stuff remains to be seen though. 

• Like 2