IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

5 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Pearson did a very good job. But I think the club felt he had hit a glass ceiling. 

Not taking anything away from what he did, we have MUCH to be thankful about during his era, this was about ensuring we now kick on again.

Where as quite a lot of us thought we were now at the stage where we were about to take big steps forward. There had definitely been a change since last season.

Take away the above usual injuries and I believe we'd be in the play offs now. If he was given a bit of the Alex Scott money then these injury problems wouldn't have been so much of a problem.

Pearson has been there and done it. We showed signs we were going in the right direction. 

Nothing about Manning suggests we will kick on under him. It's a huge risk. 

I respect others opinions that we may be able to kick on under him, however those who have concerns should also be respected.

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 11

6 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

Oxford forum saying the club have released an iFollow video or something, and it's Manning who has done it. Saying it's been recorded today. 

Updated comment - seems it’s on their site too.

Edited by BCFCGav

9 minutes ago, Zuni said:

Absolutely.

Watch it back in detail, think of team instead of the individual. Look at his positioning, anticipation and unselfish runs for others.

Then also look at the times he has the ball.

You can't pick someone based simply what they do without the ball. 

I agree he does all the things you describe. But he is not a midfielder. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 22A said:

Yet on the official club site news page; Liam is preparing for Oxford's next game v Chelsea u21s.

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/

That's the iFollow post / video I was on about. So, he is clearly still at Oxford today, preparing for a game, and talking about a game. Not what you would expect about a manager about to leave.

5 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Pearson did a very good job. But I think the club felt he had hit a glass ceiling. 

Not taking anything away from what he did, we have MUCH to be thankful about during his era, this was about ensuring we now kick on again.

They didn’t think he had hit any sort of ceiling and I wish they’d be more open about his departure. Really think they’ve shot themselves in the foot with this ridiculous line.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Evs said:

That's not the point, the question was who has heard of McKenna I was just comparing CV's prior to being appointed and pointing out his experience in the premier league against Manning who has never coached above league 1.

Half of McKenna's experience in the Premier league was equivalent to what Manning was doing there.

McKenna did u18s, Manning did u23s.

The only difference there is McKenna also moved up to coach the Man Utd senior squad.

Manning left West Ham to go to New York City, and the City group don't just appoint any old mug.

He left them to transition from coaching to management and took a side that were previously bottom and got them to finish 3rd.

1 minute ago, robinforlife2 said:

That's the iFollow post / video I was on about. So, he is clearly still at Oxford today, preparing for a game, and talking about a game. Not what you would expect about a manager about to leave.

I believe the Manning rumour is a smokescreen. He and his family are settled and he's building a good side at Oxford

• Admin
14 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

According to Sky it is gonna be 'finalised in the next 48 hours'. So to save replacing my F5 key I will have to give this thread a miss until Wednesday.

But if you do that how will you find out that Manning was fired by MK just 12 months ago?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Ashtongreight said:

JL promised we’d be excited by the appointment, I really don’t see how he could make that assumption, he really isn’t an exciting appointment, if you think he is, fair enough I’ve obviously got higher standards.

I detest the Lansdowns and their treatment of NP. But on a standalone basis , if it happens,  I think this seems to be a good appointment, by their standards. 

12 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Why is there so much talk about him being young and progressive like its something weve never done before? LJ and Holden were young and progressive. LJ dismantled one of the best teams we have had in 40 years and left Holden a bloated squad that could easily have got us relegated. Now we get to do it all again.... it doesnt fill me with any kind of excitement. 

A good and balanced point. 

When you also add in Simpson and Downing and their constant youth experience (especially at England level) it should have worked.

You answer your own conundrum if I can say, Holden inherited a mess and his lack of experience to remove it, coupled with a COVID era where football and supporting was a very different experience, ultimately cost him his job. 

I'm not surprised to see Simpson doing so well with Carlisle and Holden will achieve more in the game. 

For us too much expected, too soon and something the Lansdown's have never taken responsibility or accountability for. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

They didn’t think he had hit any sort of ceiling and I wish they’d be more open about his departure. Really think they’ve shot themselves in the foot with this ridiculous line.

What really happened or the real reasons perhaps we'll never know, but from JL's interview, it as least the party line... For now. 

55 minutes ago, Homer Simpson said:

Well when we got relegated from the top flight, I said to my dad (god rest his soul). "At least we won't have to wait another 65 years like last time". I'm not wrong yet.

Haha.  Yes, you’re good for the moment, but we’re getting uncomfortably close to a half century wait now.

I’m certainly starting to question whether it will happen within my lifetime, which is a pretty depressing thought.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Then also look at the times he has the ball.

You can't pick someone based simply what they do without the ball. 

I agree he does all the things you describe. But he is not a midfielder. 

No you are right he is a forward (number 10 for me) but needs must with all of the injuries.

5 minutes ago, Magicseason said:

I believe the Manning rumour is a smokescreen. He and his family are settled and he's building a good side at Oxford

Funny you say that, this actually popped up on my Twitter not long ago. Anyone know if this bloke is on here at all? Imagine it's all BS but thought it's worth posting.

IMG_9740.jpg

Just now, Sandhurst Red said:

What really happened or the real reasons perhaps we'll never know, but from JL's interview, it as least the party line... For now. 

And that party line is what we will hold them to account on. 

Manning will not get a period of grace. He has to deliver immediate results or there will be dissenting voices.

Maybe that's not fair on Manning but he's choosing to accept a job where the party line is that promotion is an expectation, this season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cityred2000 said:

Funny you say that, this actually popped up on my Twitter not long ago. Anyone know if this bloke is on here at all? Imagine it's all BS but thought it's worth posting.

IMG_9740.jpg

Is it a bloke that just got off the number 75 at Cribbs Causeway ?

• Haha 3

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Well, if it’s good enough for @BendSinister86 it’s good enough for me - who could it be!

The weird thing is, even in a total fantasy, I cannot think of a candidate that I'd find exciting??!

Keegan, Dalglish, umm, Pep? Can't think of any others

Unless it's a player manager, like Ronaldo !

11 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Where as quite a lot of us thought we were now at the stage where we were about to take big steps forward. There had definitely been a change since last season.

Take away the above usual injuries and I believe we'd be in the play offs now. If he was given a bit of the Alex Scott money then these injury problems wouldn't have been so much of a problem.

Pearson has been there and done it. We showed signs we were going in the right direction. 

Nothing about Manning suggests we will kick on under him. It's a huge risk. 

I respect others opinions that we may be able to kick on under him, however those who have concerns should also be respected.

Completely understandable and logic based on resume and prior results, would suggest NP was better placed to deliver success again.

It's right we have concerns and he will not be a Messiah and will definitely get things wrong, but I'm hopeful and optimistic about what he will do, and we can progress forward. We'll never know what may have happened under NP, but as a fan base, we owe it to the new manager to get behind him and not be as dismissive, as some are. 

Dave,

As you know I have struggled to understand your flipchart presentations! Today is a milestone. I get it!

What you've done is go to the BBC weather app and superimpose the heavy rain diagram (in yellow) onto a football pitch. This means that Sam Bell likes to flood the area with crosses from here! 

Screenshot_20231106_170358_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8f302d71c78b560dea41c2a14cfdf94e.jpg

• Haha 4

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Can everyone slow down? Every time I think I have reached the end of this thread a message pops up at the bottom of the screen say "10 more posts have been added" :facepalm:

Manning cannot be appointed until his thread overtakes the Lampard one. Sorry.

• Haha 3