IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

2 minutes ago, WorldWideRed said:

Who are you hiring then out of interest? No premier league managers that can beat premier League teams would come to us. The championship quality managers that have, with mixed success, beaten championship teams are quite uninspiring. At least here we are getting a forward thinking, yes untested, but attacking manager.

Don't play into it you will hear the dreaded...

we already had a manager in nigel pearson

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WorldWideRed said:

Replying to Liam Manning beating the teams around him (in league 1). Have all your thousands of posts been angry or do some of them involve positive engagements with your peers and fellow reds?

So it is still irrelevant isn't it? It can't be that hard for you to grasp?

As far as my posts over the years are concerned, you can check them out for yourself. 

3 minutes ago, supercidered said:

So it is still irrelevant isn't it? It can't be that hard for you to grasp?

As far as my posts over the years are concerned, you can check them out for yourself.

Not trying to get into an online argument, that's why these threads end up 100s of pages. I get what you're saying but all we have to judge him by is his performance in L1 which have been impressive. There is cause for optimism.

18 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If it is Manning, its difficult to see him being appointed this side of Wednesday. 

It's quite tinpot that we could potentially be waiting for a EFL trophy game to be out of the way before bringing the guy in. 

We have our own prep to do for the weekend. 

If he was planning to come here, Oxford and City wouldn't want him managing the cup game for Oxford, as it would be sour for Oxford knowing the man leading the team is leaving, and I would imagine, if he comes here, City would not want him to manage them for that game. If he comes, it will be before the cup game for sure. 

What did the Lansdown see in the way Nigel teams beat Liams team a few months ago 4-1 and 5-1. That makes the believe he is the man to take us to the play offs. It beggers belief.

I saw another comment that they spoke to FL but he could not understand what job they were asking him to do.

That times like this i try and keep away from social medium, but i can not.

Edited by Roadrunner

15 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Spot on. Very well written and accurate post. 

Why is it accurate? Accurate to support your opinion maybe. But accurate? It is as one-sided as you want to make it, much like some of the other stuff. But as you will then know, if the real truth came out, then the story would be quite different.

You do seem to have come alive Sandhurst Red. Got your tank out. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

The relationship between Nigel and the owners (AND senior management) have been strained for quite a while (hence absence of a new contract). As we know, Nigel is a forthright character, who called it as it is (rightly most of the time), but he didn’t always toe the line.

As an employer, it’s great to get ‘constructive’ criticism from employees, especially those with Nigel’s experience. But there’s a point where criticism ceases to be constructive and becomes divisive. Nigel often crossed that line in THEIR view, hence the breakdown in relations.

How do I know this… I have contacts, but here’s some recent points that caused ‘friction’.

1. Scott money. Nigel was instrumental in the development of the summer strategy (recruit early, knowing Scott was going). So he knew the budget and knew he wouldn’t get more once the sell went through. He went along with this for a while, but then gave interviews that were PERCEIVED to undermine the owners (who stuck to the strategy).

2. Loan physio. Yes, that was (on the face of it) a random appointment, but Nigel’s recital of the situation didn’t go down well, again giving the perception that the owners didn’t know what they were doing. He may well of been right, of course, but the public airing and presentation of the same weren’t well received.

3. Contract situation. Nigel gave the impression that no one had contacted him about a contract. The feeling was that Nigel knew the full situation, but was selective in what he chose to publicly disclose, again painting management in a poor light. 

I’m old enough to know that listening to one side of a story can be misleading. I don’t know what really went on, but I know enough to say that Nigel wasn’t dismissed for football reasons alone - that would be crazy, hence my original comment.

I'm old enough to know if your only told one side of the story that's all you have to go on

Lansdown's out!

1 minute ago, Roadrunner said:

What did the Lansdown see in the way Nigel teams beat Liams team a few months ago 4-1 and 5-1. That makes the believe he is the man to take us to the play offs. It beggers belief.

I saw another comment that they spoke to FL but he could not understand what job they were asking him to do.

That times like this i ntry and keep away from social medium, but i can not.

Said it on a previous page that Score line massively flattered us.

I have been busy all day so late to this thread.

If it is Manning, he certainly didn’t get off to a good start with me when he said on Saturday that he has 'not heard anything' from Bristol City,’ starting with a lie doesn’t bode well. However, if he gets us promoted / competing at the top of the table 😀 as he’s required to,  I might just forgive him.

I know little first-hand about him so my brief desktop research unearthed this….

Style of play

Manning favours a high possession, high pressing style of football. He has a reputation for developing young players, having spent much of his early coaching career working with the academy sides of West Ham United, Ipswich Town and New York City FC. Manning is credited as having contributed to the development of England international Declan Rice.

Early coaching career

Manning worked as an academy coach at Ipswich Town before joining Premier League side West Ham United in 2015 as head coach of the club's U23s.

In 2019 he left to join City Football Group, initially as Director of Coaching with Major League Soccer side New York City FC before later progressing to the role of Academy Director.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/west-ham-news-declan-rice-liam-manning-leaves-nycfc-a8914651.html

On 13 August 2021, Manning joined League One club Milton Keynes Dons. On 8 October 2021, after just eleven league games in charge, Manning was named EFL League One Manager of the Month for September 2021, a month in which he led the club to an unbeaten run of five league games achieving eleven points. He repeated the achievement just four months later, being named League One Manager of the Month for January 2022 after a similarly successful period.

At the end of his first season, Manning had led the club to a third-place finish with 89 points and play-off qualification, having missed out on automatic promotion by a single point. The club however later failed to gain promotion via the play-offs, losing out to Wycome Wanderers over two semi-final legs.

Following an awful start to the season that found his side in the relegation zone, Manning was sacked on 11 December 2022 having accumulated just fifteen points from twenty matches, six points from safety and only off the bottom on goal difference.

On 11 March 2023, Manning was appointed Head Coach of League One side Oxford United. An impressive start to the season saw him lead his new club to four wins from five matches, he was named League One Manager of the Month.

At both MK Dons and Oxford United he had a 48% win percentage.

Playing history

As a player Manning played for the academy of his local side Norwich City before joining Ipswich Town in 2002, where he spent a year as a professional before being released in 2005. Following his release from Ipswich, Manning dropped into non-league, playing for Bishop's Stortford, Long Melford and Leiston, before enjoying a brief spell playing in Iceland for Selfoss.

Upon his return from Iceland, Manning re-signed for Leiston, playing for the club between 2006 and 2008. Manning later returned to Woodbridge, followed by spells with Wroxham, Melton St Audrey and Ipswich Wanderers, before retiring from football to concentrate on coaching.

Here’s a bit more about him as a coach.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/liam-manning-mk-dons-how-beat-medium-block/

According to this ‘he’s always learning’ aren’t we all? https://archive.ph/OaKFT

11 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

You know who had a good league one manager who had never managed in the Championship? Ipswich. 

Are they With the advantage of coming up with the side they built.

And for every example there is the equivalent Barnsley that had Lee Johnson.

32 minutes ago, WorldWideRed said:

Replying to Liam Manning beating the teams around him (in league 1). Have all your thousands of posts been angry or do some of them involve positive engagements with your peers and fellow reds?

You ask this after 6 yes SIX posts?

I'm sure it'll all be worth it come pay day....

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

I wonder what Birmingham fans thought when they brought in Rowett

He hadn't managed above league 2 at that point so clearly didn't deserve a chance at managing in the Championship. 

Probably that they had had enough of Lee Clarke and they wanted someone with experience of getting promoted from this division?