IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

13 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

This time last year Luton took on Rob Edwards and few thought he had the experience (Just 10 Championship games) to take them up with a hardworking but not especially talented squad. It can work !

We've copied Luton then and expect the same result.. what a risky thing to do if this back fires Lansdowns and tinnion will be on the chopping block!!

1 minute ago, Cristored said:

Pearson pulled your pants down, it’s not 2010 anymore, Manning will be an excellent appointment.

He may well be, but would be good to hear from someone close to his career (maybe it’s somewhere in this thread) with views on why he seems to have blown very hot (MK season 1 and Oxford) and very cold (MK season 2). Maybe MK season 2 will turn out to be his career blip, but would still be interesting to understand. If it was a blip, we’re doing very well to get him, just maybe lacking enough history to be confident yet. 

14 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Do we think the 'nest egg' or part of it will be available to our new HC?

You have to consider that part of it would have been used to pay off Pearson (ironic to think he actually got hold of some nest egg afterall 🙂). And some more to compensate Oxford no doubt.

• Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

So we rip up the template of the past 3 years and start all over again..... wonderful 

What..?

Alot of hard, dirty graft has been done by NP - an area of his role where he did a good job.

At no point to I ever think he developed the team to get the most out of them, by style, game plan or tactics.

We were terribly inconsistent & it took an age to address our defensive frailties.

As other posters have said - there's no doubt he did alot of good work - but mostly off the pitch & on it we frustratingly bang average, or worse, throughout the majority of his time in charge. 

• Flames 1

25 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I've had a look back through your previous posts, I can't see any point your trying to make, can you state your point please?

Really, because I made this point to someone else earlier.

You're argument seems to be that the next manager should be one who has a promotion from the Championship if that is our aim.

Thats very flawed reasoning.

If every team takes that approach, no manager without a previous promotion will ever have a realistic shot at getting a promotion because they'll be at a club that's in a relegation fight or expect to be around mid table.

So what happens then? How do managers show they're capable if they're not given the opportunity to do so?

Should Burnley have not kept Kompany?

What experience of qualifying for Champions League football did Arteta have? Or Howe?

What about the managers that have got a promotion from the Championship but failed to replicate it in the time since? Why should they take precedent over someone who has only ever had a good record at the clubs they've managed?

Should Huddersfield not have appointed Wagner, because he'd never won a promotion before then?

Cotterill had never been promoted from League 1 before we appointed him, but that worked out fairly well.

12 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He’s not slagging us off . He’s complementary about the ground & crowds , but he’s right . We’ve underperformed for years. Don’t be so precious 

'Always be a midtable Championship club'? I don't agree with that for a start.

Underperformed, certainly but who's to say we can't reach the Prem under Manning? 

As for 'precious', LOOL! ;)

29 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

That’s just being pig headed. If you think he’s going to implement his own style straight away then you’re deluded. It’s tinnion & crayon boy you should be venting at not manning. He’s 38 how much do you expect him to have achieved ? 
who seriously did expect us to bring in. We’re a midtable championship club with very little history of top flight football . 

And that's just being impolite. 

If he needs time to implement his style then he is not the guy for us. It's expected that a new Head Coach can come in and enhance the style we have already been playing. Not rip everything up and start again. 

He has to come in and hit the ground running if he's to meet the top 6 expectations that have been placed on him.

I think you have failed to understand what the club has said. He's not coming in where he will be given 2-3 years to implement a project. The expectations are that he has to have us at least challenging for promotion very quickly. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Fair enough. I'm looking for someone who knows how to get promoted out of this league, you sound like you are happy with someone who has a history of being competitive in league 1.

Everyone will be hit and miss, I agree, I would just prefer someone who has had a hit at the thing we are stating as a minimum requirement (getting promoted).

So not our stated goals then.

I get it. Understand the scepticism. 

Depends what you mean by ‘had a hit at the thing we are stating as a minimum requirement.’  I would say getting promoted from championship with parachute and without are very different achievements. And there aren’t that many managers who have got a non parachute team promoted in recent years. 

Last year, of the 3 managers that got promoted from championship - none of them had been promoted before. Two were with parachute teams. The one that wasn’t had a manager that had been very successful in lower leagues - and not even league one. 

In the five years before that, the only managers I can think of to have done same trick are Bielsa, Farke and Wilder. Only one of those has subsequently been appointed to a role to try and repeat the trick (Wilder to Boro) and it was a failure (although I would add I think he’s a very good manager). 

Edited by the1stknowle

3 minutes ago, One Team said:

I agree with a lot of your comments Stevie, I think it’s the critique of the ridiculous Lansdown decision making people are frustrated with. Maybe this is what they meant by the fans getting excited? 😀

Communication has been so poor from the club , it’s no wonder we’re really frustrated with them . Pearson’s sacking was the final straw for some . I was still fuming Saturday & didn’t go to the game because of it. However we have to move on & support the new bloke. If it doesn’t work then it’s all on tinnion & JL . Let’s hope they got this one right. Tinnion reputation has been tarnished a bit the last week . At least though it’s a football man making this decision & not that  of the lansdowns. This is tinnions appointment imo 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

What..?

Alot of hard, dirty graft has been done by NP - an area of his role where he did a good job.

At no point to I ever think he developed the team to get the most out of them, by style, game plan or tactics.

We were terribly inconsistent & it took an age to address our defensive frailties.

As other posters have said - there's no doubt he did alot of good work - but mostly off the pitch & on it we frustratingly bang average, or worse, throughout the majority of his time in charge. 

I disagree. Over the past year performances have been pretty consistent, just that results haven't been and that's probably due to all the injuries and Pearson being given the bare min to spend. 

You are somewhat dismissing how difficult it is to sort out defensive frailties. Its not just a tactical thing, it's a mentality thing. 

This season I felt we had taking a huge leap forward with that. We had players throwing their bodies on the line to prevent goals and that was without the likes of Atkinson and Vyner.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

I get it. Understand the scepticism. 

Depends what you mean by ‘had a hit at the thing we are stating as a minimum requirement.’  I would say getting promoted from championship with parachute and without are very different achievements. And there aren’t that many managers who have got a non parachute team promoted in recent years. 

Last year, of the 3 managers that got promoted from championship - none of them had been promoted before. Two were with parachute teams. The one that wasn’t had a manager that had been very successful in lower leagues - and not even league one. 

In the fiver years before that, the only managers I can think of to have done same trick are Bielsa, Farke and Wilder. Only one of those has subsequently been appointed to a role to try and repeat the trick (Wilder to Boro) and it was a failure (although I would add I think he’s a very good manager). 

🔥

7 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

No way I wanted Nige gone but Christ people calm the **** down , Lansdown Jnr said he expected Nige to get this squad into the play offs etc , and wrongly in my opinion got rid , the sacking was personal as we all know but you can’t put all this bile on to a new guy  who’s got nothing to do with it .

Anyone taking on a new job has to acclimatise and hopefully quickly but let’s hope he can get off to a good start, but just piling the Pearson anger on any new guy is pointless.

We are City fans first and foremost , but not sure you would think that reading this forum.

Not sure anyone has it in for the new guy. It was Lansdown that has set him up to fail. I just hope the anger and ire is directed at the Lansdown's and not the new head coach.

• Like 3

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

Communication has been so poor from the club , it’s no wonder we’re really frustrated with them . Pearson’s sacking was the final straw for some . I was still fuming Saturday & didn’t go to the game because of it. However we have to move on & support the new bloke. If it doesn’t work then it’s all on tinnion & JL . Let’s hope they got this one right. Tinnion reputation has been tarnished a bit the last week . At least though it’s a football man making this decision & not that  of the lansdowns. This is tinnions appointment imo 

Think a potential positive (/negative in terms of how we’ve arrived here) is struggle to see anyone with any hint of a decent reputation (which in fairness to him, LM does) taking the job on without some comfort that there’ll be at least some money to spend. Personally would have preferred NP to have had to access to that in the summer, but we are where we are. 

6 minutes ago, RedM said:

You have to consider that part of it would have been used to pay off Pearson (ironic to think he actually got hold of some nest egg afterall 🙂). And some more to compensate Oxford no doubt.

Not sure about that, Pearson will have got the remainder of his contract, which he was always getting.

Oxford yes though not sure managerial compensation will be all that much.

January is of far more interest, we expected TGH to be made permanent but any other expenditure definitely wasn’t going to be sanctioned with Nige in charge.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

And that's just being impolite. 

If he needs time to implement his style then he is not the guy for us. It's expected that a new Head Coach can come in and enhance the style we have already been playing. Not rip everything up and start again. 

He has to come in and hit the ground running if he's to meet the top 6 expectations that have been placed on him.

I think you have failed to understand what the club has said. He's not coming in where he will be given 2-3 years to implement a project. The expectations are that he has to have us at least challenging for promotion very quickly. 

You have to take with a pitch of salt what JL said , he’s a bumbling idiot. Manning will have different way of playing to nige . Of course it will take time for him to implement his style. It took pep a year to get Man City playing how he wanted . To expect him to hit the ground running is unreasonable . No one’s saying he’s going to rip it up , but it will be different. 

26 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Go and listen again. He said promotion with this squad of players this season 

Yes, the aim is promotion. He said that is what they want and what we should be going for. I'd be disappointed with anything less but he didn't say it is a failure if we don't go up. I'm pretty sure we won't she Manning, if he gets the job, get the sack if we don't as long as they are happy with what they see.

hee hee, this might be my most favourite OTIB thread ever.

as we all hide behind our alias usernames and hurl mud at everyone at BCFC and anyone's opinion.

Me, I am underwhelmed by it all. The sacking, the candidates and the potential Manning.

There's a slim chance that Steve has got it right. very slim.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

What..?

I totally agree with you bs3 , still a bit gutted how it all ended but personally Niges work off the field , getting rid of waste , getting a better sprit and feel good factor around the club ( mind you after the West Brom defeat last year a few wanted rid actually more than a few ) also bringing some of the kids through , had no choice sometimes , but generally we have been very inconsistent playing wise and not quite kicked on as a few of us would have thought , mind you I do think the board going on about promotion this season is a bit pie in the sky 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I disagree. Over the past year performances have been pretty consistent, just that results haven't been and that's probably due to all the injuries and Pearson being given the bare min to spend. 

You are somewhat dismissing how difficult it is to sort out defensive frailties. Its not just a tactical thing, it's a mentality thing. 

This season I felt we had taking a huge leap forward with that. We had players throwing their bodies on the line to prevent goals and that was without the likes of Atkinson and Vyner.

Absolutely this. At least 3, 1-0 wins are testament to it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You have to take with a pitch of salt what JL said , he’s a bumbling idiot. Manning will have different way of playing to nige . Of course it will take time for him to implement his style. It took pep a year to get Man City playing how he wanted . To expect him to hit the ground running is unreasonable . No one’s saying he’s going to rip it up , but it will be different. 

I hope this can you to understand where I'm coming from. 

We have a set club style. He has to fit into that. He doesn't get to change the style and have time to change it.

Screenshot_20231106_194948_Facebook.jpg

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Seems like this is done with an announcement tomorrow morning likely. 

I'm surprised so many are dismissing Manning. I think given the position we are in and what we are specifically looking for he's a very good fit. He's been coaching since he was 21 and has a decent amount of L1 experience.

Mousinho wasn't going to leave Pompey so Manning made next most sense.

People bemoaning lack of experience should take a look at who Millwall have just appointed. Gotta start somewhere...

It's City, and the structure behind him still gives me a lot of concern, but Manning is a good appointment I reckon and about as good as we could've hoped for. 

I’d rather who millwall just appointed tbf better pedigree, but we shall see!! 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Seems like this is done with an announcement tomorrow morning likely. 

I'm surprised so many are dismissing Manning. I think given the position we are in and what we are specifically looking for he's a very good fit. He's been coaching since he was 21 and has a decent amount of L1 experience.

Mousinho wasn't going to leave Pompey so Manning made next most sense.

People bemoaning lack of experience should take a look at who Millwall have just appointed. Gotta start somewhere...

It's City, and the structure behind him still gives me a lot of concern, but Manning is a good appointment I reckon and about as good as we could've hoped for. 

I have said on a couple of threads that I have concerns about the structure above him. But I have no doubts about LM's coaching.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Street red said:

I wish Pearson pulled your pants down he probs could have used one of his crutches and shoved it up your arse!! Sideways 😂

I probably would’ve enjoyed it to be fair.

2 minutes ago, Gratz260689 said:

I’d rather who millwall just appointed tbf better pedigree, but we shall see!! 

Better pedigree no chance