IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

16 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This is my concern. That everything gets ripped up and we start again. That's not what we need. 

It was stated that whoever we brought in would need to fit into this structure and I have my concerns that this may not be the case with Manning. 

We have been through 3-4 years of absolute crap to get our squad to where it is now. I'd say this is one of the best squads we've ever had in terms of quality and mentality. 

We don't need revolution, we don't even need evolution. We just need enhancement. 

My worry is that Manning is going to recieve LJ levels of support and then we are back to where we started. 

You can hear the excuses already about him not having the right players to play his system and that alone shows this could be the wrong appointment.

We don't need to recruit and give him time to recruit for his preferred system. He needs to work with what he has got.

This has the potential to go very wrong very quickly and that concerns me.

Time will tell. But I agree. Which is why the Lansdownes need to sell up asap.
How many more mistakes will they make? My patience wore out ages ago. 

There track record is quite honestly pretty crap. Hope this is not another one to add to the long list.

• Flames 1

Well after reading and watching a lot of stuff on him, reading varying opinions on here and the Oxford forum, I've got a good feeling about this appointment.

He's an interesting guy to learn about. Get used to hearing the word principles a lot.

Welcome and good luck Liam.

If this works- and it may- I think it’s fair to say we’ll be very happy and, honestly, a bit surprised.

If this doesn’t work- and our history suggests it may well not- I won’t be particularly surprised and, honestly, pretty resigned to disappointment. 
Such is the reality of the last ten years or so.

Just now, bartolona said:

The Lansdowns won’t allow this to fail. I’m expecting the wallet to come out in January.

And that's my concern. 

If he doesn't start off well and the pressure is on in Jan, he'll recieve LJ levels of support because we have that "nest egg" 

If those players are on the level of LJ signings then we then have 2-3 years of trying to get rid of them and getting the squad back to the current shape it is in.

• Like 1

Good luck to him, I suspect he’ll need it as he enters a difficult situation, mainly due to fan reaction.

2 minutes ago, bartolona said:

The Lansdowns won’t allow this to fail. I’m expecting the wallet to come out in January.

I suspect this too, which will feel like an extra slap in the face to Pearson.

He may end up an excellent head coach for us, and I of course hope he does, but I’d suggest he also kind of needs to succeed now (by which I mean immediately) or the whole end of the Pearson era and the reasoning for it will hang over him.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Philly The Kid said:

I'm sure I heard on Talksport a while ago that the standard was one year's salary on termination. Obviously this can probably vary in an upward direction but I'm sure some bloke from the LMA said it was a years money.

The LMA themselves state that there is no standard manager contract “template”.  And I’m probably being pedantic re your use of the word “standard”, when it might be better to say it’s “often” 1 year.  Not that I’m great with words! 👍🏻

• Like 1

Although I do think getting rid of Pearson was the wrong decision, as I really thought we were making good solid progress under him, with him working in very difficult circumstances with regards to budget, FFP and player sales. I do hope the gamble to appoint Liam Manning Pays off. Only time will tell I guess, lets see what happens. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

The LMA themselves state that there is no standard manager contract “template”.  And I’m probably being pedantic re your use of the word “standard”, when it might be better to say it’s “often” 1 year.  Not that I’m great with words! 👍🏻

Sorry Fevs, don’t understand what you are trying to say 😀

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This is my concern. That everything gets ripped up and we start again. That's not what we need. 

It was stated that whoever we brought in would need to fit into this structure and I have my concerns that this may not be the case with Manning. 

We have been through 3-4 years of absolute crap to get our squad to where it is now. I'd say this is one of the best squads we've ever had in terms of quality and mentality. 

We don't need revolution, we don't even need evolution. We just need enhancement. 

My worry is that Manning is going to recieve LJ levels of support and then we are back to where we started. 

You can hear the excuses already about him not having the right players to play his system and that alone shows this could be the wrong appointment.

We don't need to recruit and give him time to recruit for his preferred system. He needs to work with what he has got.

This has the potential to go very wrong very quickly and that concerns me.

He's not LJ, MA isnt here, SL's purse string won't be as open as they were in the bad old days.

He's clearly got decent coaching ability, and his no 2 is a trusted experienced pro, so can you give them a break, and just see what happens, eh?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

And that's my concern. 

If he doesn't start off well and the pressure is on in Jan, he'll recieve LJ levels of support because we have that "nest egg" 

If those players are on the level of LJ signings then we then have 2-3 years of trying to get rid of them and getting the squad back to the current shape it is in.

Can we stop comparing managers to LJ, it’s really weird. 
Judge people on their own merits rather than being lazy and comparing them to previous managers. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

People are somewhat underwhelmed and sceptical would perhaps be a reason why.

Had one of our championship rivals appointed Manning, how many of those underwhelmed and sceptical fans would be saying that this is just the sort of young, forward thinking coach was should be after?

• Like 6

Just now, downendcity said:

Had one of our championship rivals appointed Manning, how many of those underwhelmed and sceptical fans would be saying that this is just the sort of young, forward thinking coach was should be 

I don't think many football fans have heard of him

• Like 1

I make that my 23rd appointed full time, not caretaker/interim manager as an attending City fan.

If you started supporting City between Oct 1967 and September 1980 you’ll have the same number as me, such was the longevity of Alan Dicks.

The first man on that list took us to the top, good luck Liam, here’s hoping you become the next. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Can we stop comparing managers to LJ, it’s really weird. 
Judge people on their own merits rather than being lazy and comparing them to previous managers. 

It's not weird. It's weird that you think it's weird. 

It's not comparing him to LJ, it's comparing a head coach appointment vs another head coach appointment. The head coach vanity project that has failed on multiple occasions. 

Maybe this time it will be different. History tells me it won't be tho.

• Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

And that's my concern. 

Why are you making up negative scenarios? Try and be positive about things 

• Like 3

His interview is pretty good. I can see why he appealed, lots of buzzwords JL etc would’ve liked. It’s not LJ style waffle, but will take some adjusting after Pearson’s media handling which I think most people enjoyed.

Pretty much everything he says in interview covers what JL claimed we wanted - so it’s reassuring that it aligns.. I think. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 2