IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

Just now, Lew-T said:

I’ve missed the press conference, I’m hoping they’ll show it in full later?

You can scrub back from live on youtube

Just now, Shauntaylor85 said:

Weak Press Conference, average questions asked. Didn’t put JL under enough pressure. He was struggled live it has to be said. LJ used to talk a good game, let’s hope Manning delivers on it because Johnson didn’t. 

I thought he was excellent.  Liam that is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Shauntaylor85 said:

Weak Press Conference, average questions asked. Didn’t put JL under enough pressure. He was struggled live it has to be said. LJ used to talk a good game, let’s hope Manning delivers on it because Johnson didn’t. 

Didn’t think it was the time and place to grill JL.

Thought LM came across well, he can certainly talk the talk.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Not Banksy said:

Reminds me of Eddie Howe.. how he speaks.. his demeanour.. even the look of him lets face it.

Spoke well and lots of similarities but let’s see what happens. I hope he goes well and accelerates us forward but a lot of pressure thanks to the board and those crazy objectives set last week. To sack Nigel for Manning and get rid of a whole backroom team really is last chance saloon for many fans with this board. Good luck. 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree we need Jon Lansdown to clarify that. He set the expectation so I would expect him to lay out the test of whether the manager he appointed succeeds or fails. Hopefully JL will update the fans in the coming weeks as to whether 7th is good enough or not.

To be fair it would be a hard thing to clarify. 7th can be achieved in many ways. Suppose we are playing scrappy football, scrapping draws and the wins here and there and finish several points adrift of 6th in 7th place. That is very different from, having a bad start whilst the team adapts and then finding it's footing/understanding his tactics and winning most games on the run-in whilst playing exciting football and missing out on 6th by a 1 point. Either of those could happen and anything in between, it's a difficult one to explain upfront. 

49 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

His interview is pretty good. I can see why he appealed, lots of buzzwords JL etc would’ve liked. It’s not LJ style waffle, but will take some adjusting after Pearson’s media handling which I think most people enjoyed.

Pretty much everything he says in interview covers what JL claimed we wanted - so it’s reassuring that it aligns.. I think. 

I can see why people are making the comparisons with LJ, but I think Manning seems like a coach who has a style of play that he doesn't tinker with all the time.

I actually think LJ is a good coach and was good at managing us up until he started to believe his own hype (for me that was after Man U win) - then it was an ego trip for him,  he started talking about outwitting the other manager more and more. He lost sight of having a defined system and style and made it about his ego and his battle with the other manager, rather than about the team. 

Manning has (from what I have been reading) a set style and whilst he can be a little flexible with the overall formation that style and identity doesn't change. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

29 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Amazingly @ralphindevon there were only four managers in my first thirty one years beginning in 1950. Pat Beasley, promotion, Peter Doherty, responsible for relegation but sacked before it happened. Fred Ford promotion and AD with promotion to Div One and also partly responsible for three relegations in a row even if he'd gone after first drop.

Eight up and seven down. Will Manning be responsible for a return to top tier before they screw the lid down?

Incredible! Imagine that nowadays.

He comes across very well and intelligent in the press conference must admit I got more from that than the club interview.

Time will tell moving forward I just hope they don't treat him like they did with Nige.All we can do is back him but like we all say it's easy to talk the talk. Good luck to him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

Just started watching the press conference, maybe another reason we got Manning is that he brought his own mike stand and we could stop having someone holding a microphone in front of the manager by hand! 😂 

Got a link ? I'm just getting "this event has concluded".

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Seemed to roll back on the idea that promotion is an immediate target and instead it's another 3 year project to get there.

Not a surprise but undoes his own argument for sacking Pearson. 

Not watched the live press conference yet but pleasing to hear he faired better there as he looked scared shitless in the club interview. 

9 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

I can see why people are making the comparisons with LJ, but I think Manning seems like a coach who has a style of play that he doesn't tinker with all the time.

I actually think LJ is a good coach and was good at managing us up until he started to believe his own hype (for me that was after Man U win) - then it was an ego trip for him,  he started talking about outwitting the other manager more and more. He lost sight of having a defined system and style and made it about his ego and his battle with the other manager, rather than about the team. 

Agree with the first part and to a degree the second part, but for me it all started to go wrong for LJ after that Sunderland game where 3-0 up at half time he went absolutely madly gung ho to try and absolutely batter them instead of just controlling the game and winng 4 or 5 we end up drawing and from then on he seemed to start second guessing himself almost as if he'd lost all his confidence. 

• Like 1