IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

13 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

The questions were weak and JL looked terrified. 

Didn’t he just. JL’s articulation matched his appearance. 

What I so wanted was a double camera view on JL and LM’s faces when JL attempted to answer the question about funds for signings in January! 🍿

Edited by Sturgess

2 hours ago, GrumpyGit said:

Unless he had a clause inserted in his contract, like other managers do.

It's been very well publicised that he had a buy out clause inserted in his   Oxford contract.     He appears to be  an individual who knows he has the knowledge, ambition and ability 'to move on up, while using Oxford as a stepping stone to a better job.  That's the way football works, and all clubs outside the Prem, and even in it,  are aware of  it?

Edited by maxjak

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Just watching now.  Any ideas who was asking the first set of questions. He’s quite direct almost sounds a bit cheesed off. Bet he wasn’t like that with Nige! Is it Piercy?

Piercy up first and to be fair he was always good and pretty direct with Nige even if he didn't get the desired response!

The questions went downhill after him unfortunately, two others asking the exact same question about style of play... 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, !james said:

Piercy up first and to be fair he was always good and pretty direct with Nige even if he didn't get the desired response!

The questions went downhill after him unfortunately, two others asking the exact same question about style of play... 

agree that they were a bit “playskool” after James.

31 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think what will help Manning is that he inherits a highly motivated, hard working squad, with a lot of ambitious young players. 

Typically a new manager inherits a mess but he's not at all. It's just a squad that hasn't been invested in enough.

Totally agree and for that reason it's a actually a massively important appointment.

This is quite possibly the best time to take this job in recent times. We are stable, well placed and like some mythical quest, the allure of getting 'the biggest side not have made the Prem' has attracted a young, progressive coach with a lot of self belief.

If it clicks, I think he'll get us in the promotion mix.

Just now, !james said:

Thanks - I don’t listen to them usually (obsess enough on here!) so I was keen to know.   It’s a good conversation - Piercy doesn’t hold back and Manning doesn’t seem phased and answers well. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, George Rs said:

What questions would you have asked LM? 

And we all know JL isn’t the best public speaker, especially live. One of his better interviews personally. 

"You stated that you sacked NP because you felt we had a squad that should be competing at the top, what makes you believe that LM can deliver those immediate goals?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Had one of our championship rivals appointed Manning, how many of those underwhelmed and sceptical fans would be saying that this is just the sort of young, forward thinking coach was should be after?

Possibly.

I was relatively keen on Evatt for some reason, but that aside I just am not sure whether a change now was required, believe should have got longer.

Will watch the Press Conference later and see what I think then. Rightly or wrongly what might assuage some of those fans is a clear and obvious upgrade but hope Manning does well.

Having watched the press conference I thought LM did OK after his rabbit in headlights interview earlier. 

Looked nervous still, and didn’t give me much in the way of confidence but what he actually said was reasonable. He says “you know” more than Christian Roberts though and I had LJ vibes when he used “philosophy”. Quite liked Lansdown’s face when he said he liked our players and how we’ve played in some of our games.

Lansdown on the other hand was a bumbling charlatan. Yes, we know he’s not great at interviewing but even by his standards he was appalling. His answers were poor but then the questions weren’t great either. 

Good luck Liam. 

Edited by One Team

38 minutes ago, One Team said:

Having watched the press conference I thought LM did OK after his rabbit in headlights interview earlier. 

Looked nervous still, and didn’t give me much in the way of confidence but what he actually said was reasonable. He says “you know” more than Christian Roberts though and I had LJ vibes when he used “philosophy”.

Lansdown on the other hand was a bumbling charlatan. Yes, we know he’s not great at interviewing but even by his standards he was appalling. His answers were poor but then the questions weren’t great either. 

Good luck Liam. 

Blimey.  Tough audience!  He’s basically just spent 30 mins answering some pretty involved questions in front of his new boss and the local and National media.   Thought he did really well with lots of detail and adapted to the different types of questions.   

Edited by lenred
  • Like 6
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Do we? Individually surely we can have our own expectations for our new manager. Regardless of what JL says. I'll give him the same expectations as Nige. Better than last year. Top 10 would be good, top 6 would be excellent. Promotion would be unbelievable.

Top ten might be “good” but it is clearly not good enough for a team that we have been assured is good enough for a promotion challenge. Should that promotion challenge not happen, it has to be on Jon Lansdown to explain exactly where the club got the managerial appointment wrong and to take full responsibility for any error.

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

7th -20th will be perfectly acceptable. I'm of the opinion Pearson was sacked because they don't like him not because of the team performance. 

I doubt Liam Manning will be under any immediate pressure to be challenging. 

Of course. I think Lansdown knows as much as the fans does that the squad is good but that we are out-resourced by other teams in the league.

I actually think Manning is potentially a good appointment and I think taking calculated punts on managers a division below is the route we should be taking. However the past two weeks have left a sour taste in my mouth - not because Pearson was sacked but because of the bullshit senior figures have spouted about the reasons.

I would agree it was a personality clash and expectations will be lower for the new manager but I don’t like liars and I don’t like the Chair taking fans for fools. I feel Lansdown should be pressed and pressed and pressed on his reasoning if a supposedly promotion ready squad is given a lower target under a new manager.

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 6

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not at all, just a desire to judge by the same standards and metrics I assume.

Absolutely. 

And holding the ownership to account for the things they have said. 

For me that looks like the expectation that we get in the play offs this season.

The expectation from me is that Manning has to deliver with the squad he has got. 

Money will be made available in January but in my opinion it should be of the similar amount as Nige would have recieved. 

In my opinion there is no money available to bring in players to fit the formation and style Manning may wish to play. Manning needs to adapt to what we have got.

I'd be absolutely pissed off if Manning suddenly allowed to sign 5 players in January when most thought that Pearson needed at least two players in the summer which would have seen us compete more.

Those are the things the club stated so I will hold them to that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

Shows how much you know about football and that's probably  why you support Oxford United

Don’t expect him to hit the ground running, his success at Oxford came this season after the board went all out to back him and 10 new players came in. 
He left us in 2nd place, some of the football was good, but a lot of it was tippy side to side shit. 
If he does do well, a sniff from a team above and he’ll be off.  Loyalty is not something he believes in.  Probably why he didn’t get a thank you from the Oxford board. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4ad018a41c2742b036d601f2d2fe51c8.jpeg

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

Blimey.  Tough audience!  He’s basically just spent 30 mins asking some pretty involved questions in front of his new boss and the local and National media.   Thought he did really well with lots of detail and adapted to the different types of questions.   

That's what he has signed up for! This isn't league one or academy football anymore. Pressure is on and the pressure is high at this level.

Liam Manning deserves to be given a proper chance, and he'll get that from me, but I remain concerned not just about the player team building but the coaching and fitness team. We haven't just lost Nigel but an impressive coaching set up and a class fitness coach. Often the best signings a manager makes are his backroom staff and if we're to progress as a club the backroom staff needs to gel as quickly as the players. Let us hope so. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Text corrrection
  • Like 1

Well it’s time to move on after a horrible week and back him. 

All the best Liam. Best to not take to much notice of the three buffoons above you and do what you do best. Excited to see what you can bring to the table starting Saturday. 

Lansdowns feel free to **** off still. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Top ten might be “good” but it is clearly not good enough for a team that we have been assured is good enough for a promotion challenge. Should that promotion challenge not happen, it has to be on Jon Lansdown to explain exactly where the club got the managerial appointment wrong and to take full responsibility for any error.

Of course. I think Lansdown knows as much as the fans does that the squad is good but that we are out-resourced by other teams in the league.

I actually think Manning is potentially a good appointment and I think taking calculated punts on managers a division below is the route we should be taking. However the past two weeks have left a sour taste in my mouth - not because Pearson was sacked but because of the bullshit senior figures have spouted about the reasons.

I would agree it was a personality clash and expectations will be lower for the new manager but I don’t like liars and feel Lansdown should be pressed and pressed and pressed on his reasoning if a supposedly promotion ready squad is given a lower target under a new manager.

Someone gave a very valid answer to this earlier.

If the goal was promotion/playoffs, fine, but LM isn't starting from an equal ground with the other clubs from the start of the season.

He's coming in with 1/3 of the season gone and 5 points to make up over those in the playoffs.

So to achieve them now he'd have to outperform his remit over the remaining 2/3s of a season.

If this had all happened over the summer with the same course of events then your argument would be stronger.

Just now, GrumpyGit said:

Don’t expect him to hit the ground running, his success at Oxford came this season after the board went all out to back him and 10 new players came in. 
He left us in 2nd place, some of the football was good, but a lot of it was tippy side to side shit. 
If he does do well, a sniff from a team above and he’ll be off.  Loyalty is not something he believes in.  Probably why he didn’t get a thank you from the Oxford board. 

That's what a lot of our fans are overlooking. He was backed heavily at Oxford.

We have a good squad. We don't need to bring in many players and if Manning thinks we do, he's not the right guy for us. He needs to work with what he has got.

The expectation here is that he won't recieve that sort of backing.

Our fans won't put up with the tippy tippy side to side shit. 

It worries me that he's said "if the other side don't have the ball, they can't score" 

4 minutes ago, GrumpyGit said:

Aw, you added a selfie this time!

Please Mods, let me keep him

• Haha 1