IGNORED

Nige

megansdad

8 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

This visit to Kings College to ascertain a pathway for Nigels treatment would have been open, with a strong likelihood the Lansdownes were aware prior to the unfolding of recent events.

Yes, unlikely to have been arranged this week, post sacking. So we'd have been without him for the next 2 games anyway. Still kicking a man when he's down though!

But that's football. A lovely business. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Of course they were aware. They could have made this better for themselves and Nigel by saying he was going to take x weeks leave of absence to sort out his health. This could have led to them bringing in someone as an interim with Fleming & Euell reporting in or just leaving them to it.

I very much doubt Nige will be back to full fitness by the new year. Had he still been with us there would have been an even shorter period left on his contract and they could have dressed up his departure by saying they felt it was time to go in a new direction,  pay off the remainder and at the same time wish him well in his ongoing recovery.

He's gone because they don't like his forthright attitude, simple as that in my view. There was no plan in place to replace him.

Totally agree and also possibly ILLEGAL......

• Confused 2

34 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Of course they were aware. They could have made this better for themselves and Nigel by saying he was going to take x weeks leave of absence to sort out his health. This could have led to them bringing in someone as an interim with Fleming & Euell reporting in or just leaving them to it.

I very much doubt Nige will be back to full fitness by the new year. Had he still been with us there would have been an even shorter period left on his contract and they could have dressed up his departure by saying they felt it was time to go in a new direction,  pay off the remainder and at the same time wish him well in his ongoing recovery.

He's gone because they don't like his forthright attitude, simple as that in my view. There was no plan in place to replace him.

Or because he’s not fit enough to manage the football club and the performance of the team at the moment for them wasn’t good enough. 

Difficult to manage a team when you’re barely around. 

See no issue with their decision. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 8

Like a few others, I did wonder whether the club was taking the flack over removing NP to distract the focus from his ill-health, having come to a mutual acceptance with NP that he wasn't able to continue in the role for health reasons. It seems from the likes of the CF pre-match interview that I was seriously wrong in thinking the owners were anywhere near as noble as that!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Or because he’s not fit enough to manage the football club and the performance of the team at the moment for them wasn’t good enough. 

It’s not very different to Alex Ferguson’s style of management.  He wasn’t out on the training ground.  Nige’s structure had him in a more observational role anyway because he empowered his coaches.

• Like 10

No point in covering old ground but certainly more than possible that Nige moved any potential treatment forward once he was sacked.

Probably was going to do this post QPR otherwise.

As for his alleged absence from the training ground, he was a leader who empowered others.

Some will never understand or use it as a stick to beat him, but it is a widespread management technique.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, sunningdalered said:

Like a few others, I did wonder whether the club was taking the flack over removing NP to distract the focus from his ill-health, having come to a mutual acceptance with NP that he wasn't able to continue in the role for health reasons. It seems from the likes of the CF pre-match interview that I was seriously wrong in thinking the owners were anywhere near as noble as that!

That did cross my mind for a millisecond but there are better ways of doing that without taking down DR and JE as well! 

10 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Well you wouldn't, seeing as you've wanted him sacked for the last 2 years.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s not very different to Alex Ferguson’s style of management.  He wasn’t out on the training ground.  Nige’s structure had him in a more observational role anyway because he empowered his coaches.

Or Brian Clough's, back in the day - go for a game of squash and turn up at the end of training to give them a bollocking, then disappear until five to three on Saturday 😁

Worked a bloody treat.

(Nige a bit more compassionate I'd imagine and I've not heard that Cloughie was a tree-hugger, more's the pity)  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah I don’t disagree with that Fevs but unfortunately fact is. Results haven’t been good enough and the Lansdowns feel it’s not the sort of manager they want moving forward. 

The point I’m trying to make is they want someone more hands on. They want someone on the grass every day. 
The fact NP is of ill health shouldn’t affect that decision. 

29 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Well you wouldn't, seeing as you've wanted him sacked for the last 2 years.

I have and I’ve openly said that. Doesn’t mean I think it’s mighty harsh the way he’s been treated. 
But if the Lansdown feel this approach of manager isn’t what they want and results haven’t been brilliant. 
NP has done his job off the pitch and I applaud him for getting us into a much better situation. 
On the pitch for me, he hasn’t got enough out of this squad and personally I don’t see the decision being that shocking. 
Clearly I’m in the minority with that view, but I think it was the right decision. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

19 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Why?

From GOV.UK

Dismissing staff 

Dismissals due to illness 

Considering dismissing an employee

Dismissal is a last resort....

I repeat... DISMISSAL IS A LAST RESORT....

Dismisal is a last resort and you should consider as many ways as possible to help your employee including:

* Getting a medical report from their GP with the employees permission.

* Arranging a occupational health assessment.

* Make any reasonable adjustments to help them do their jobs.

I repeat ANY REASONABLE ADJUSTMENTS.

Now, who on here thinks ANY of the above were carried out?

The complete pillocks that now run our football club have, IMHO,  left themselves open to a strong case for illegal dismisal. It's also a terrible example for the club to set isn't it?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

From GOV.UK

Dismissing staff 

Dismisal is a last resort and you should consider as many ways as possible to help your employee including:

The complete pillocks that now run our football club have, IMHO,  left themselves open to a strong case for illegal dismisal. It's also a terrible example for the club to set isn't it?

6 out of a possible 18 points, 15th in the table, squad decimated and the managers refusal to utilise the loan and free agent market hampering us. 
Relationship between manager and owner not great. 

Manager not the type the owners want moving forward (want a head coach who is more hands on)

It really isn’t that mind boggling a decision. He’s done his job, thanks and move on.

• Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 5

22 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

6 out of a possible 18 points, 15th in the table, squad decimated and the managers refusal to utilise the loan and free agent market hampering us. 
Relationship between manager and owner not great. 

Manager not the type the owners want moving forward (want a head coach who is more hands on)

It really isn’t that mind boggling a decision. He’s done his job, thanks and move on.

Nige has made his position on loans clear from Day 1 and explained why too. Now, three years later, Tinnion and Crayon Boy have now decided they don’t like it. I might be very wide of the mark but something says to me this might all blow up in Tinnion’s face over the next 18 months………

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

24 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

From GOV.UK

Dismissing staff 

There’s so many assumptions and so much conjecture in this selective section from the complexity of employment law that it’s hard to know where to begin.

We have no idea what the actual reasons were, what the formal notifications etc will have said, whether or not the club did any of the above, what NPs contract said, no idea on any of that and a whole lot more.

And that’s before you get into the exceptionality of football managers ‘employment’ - just google ‘can football managers be unfairly dismissed’ and you’ll find any number of articles explaining why the ‘normal’ rules don’t apply.

The club will pay off his contract and that will be it.

I’m not arguing that NPs dismissal was the right thing to do, and I understand the views of those who think it was wrong, but there’s enough histrionics around it already without adding more! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, italian dave said:

There’s so many assumptions and so much conjecture in this selective section from the complexity of employment law that it’s hard to know where to begin.

We have no idea what the actual reasons were, what the formal notifications etc will have said, whether or not the club did any of the above, what NPs contract said, no idea on any of that and a whole lot more.

And that’s before you get into the exceptionality of football managers ‘employment’ - just google ‘can football managers be unfairly dismissed’ and you’ll find any number of articles explaining why the ‘normal’ rules don’t apply.

The club will pay off his contract and that will be it.

I’m not arguing that NPs dismissal was the right thing to do, and I understand the views of those who think it was wrong, but there’s enough histrionics around it already without adding more! 

Hang on, you asked me why?

Chapter and verse mate.....

Can't help if you don't like it, blame the government......

2 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Hang on, you asked me why?

Chapter and verse mate.....

Can't help if you don't like it, blame the government......

But you haven’t told me why. You’ve told me why, in certain circumstances, an employee might be dismissed unfairly. You haven’t told me, and I very much doubt you’ll be able to tell me, chapter and verse on why those are applicable in the particular circumstances of NP.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Comparing Nigel Pearson to THE Sir Alex Ferguson….. think Nige’s structure contributed to him getting the boot

• Like 1