IGNORED

Nige

megansdad

3 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Looking at the positives and look forward to the future!! Well let's see how that plays out with Lansdown continuing at the helm. But of course he doesn't need to spend money on players because according to the Lansdowns our squad is good enough. 

You expect the chairman and/or owner to come out publicly and say our squad is poor and there’s no hope? 

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Him and Gould, team effort. Was a hard 18 month slog.

The question is why did we then stick with austerity and sack the manager who helped to oversee a very tricky period, working with hand tied behind his back.

Then potentially hand his hard work and some of a nest egg to a successor.

Maybe his health played a factor? Seeing as he could barely walk and it was getting worse.

To us it’s a football club, to them it’s a business. Business decisions were made I feel.

35 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Spend some money.

Why should that have not gone to NP?

Surely he more than earned the chance to be the one to do so.

Conversely, should the new manager get a bigger budget? I'd say no, only to rise in line with revenue increases. That maybe the summer with TV money, maybe it should be January 2025.

The new manager should be a clear upgrade on NP, or it is literally a pointless and perhaps counterproductive change.

The way I see it and I am guessing the Lansdowns did, that needed someone like NP to reset the club. He did that job and kept us up for a few years and a hell of a mess. That was what he was hired for. Not hired to then take the club forward in his vision(which seems far from the Lansdowns). 

Why can’t we say he did the job he was asked to do well? And that the job is now ready for someone younger, more hands on and different tactically than NP? Seems reasonable to me. I saw nothing in NP reign that he could get us promoted so why not change now when everything from 3rd-21st is so fluid? Let someone new assess over the last international break and get some backing in January. We know what we had from Pearson. A practical style for avoiding relegation.

This next appointment could send us down but it could also take us forward. I think it is okay to have that view point. Unfortunately you get met with vitriol on here with any opinion that isn’t pro NP. And this bit not aimed at you Mr P just added on. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

The way I see it and I am guessing the Lansdowns did, that needed someone like NP to reset the club. He did that job and kept us up for a few years and a hell of a mess. That was what he was hired for. Not hired to then take the club forward in his vision(which seems far from the Lansdowns). 

Why can’t we say he did the job he was asked to do well? And that the job is now ready for someone younger, more hands on and different tactically than NP? Seems reasonable to me. I saw nothing in NP reign that he could get us promoted so why not change now when everything from 3rd-21st is so fluid? Let someone new assess over the last international break and get some backing in January. We know what we had from Pearson. A practical style for avoiding relegation.

This next appointment could send us down but it could also take us forward. I think it is okay to have that view point. Unfortunately you get met with vitriol on here with any opinion that isn’t pro NP. And this bit not aimed at you Mr P just added on. 

You either conform or you work for bristol sport (apparently)

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, petehinton said:

They weren’t, two of the northern stars….. but it just kicks the can down the road for me. We then had to spend £5.5m on a replacement striker for Tammy after leaving, and leaving a huge hole up top, and to re-sign Kalas to fill the hole that he left cost us £9m.

What would have been the point in us signing Jake O’Brien on loan, where Pearson explains it would’ve been costing around £300k loan fee, and an additional £5k a week on top of paying his full weekly wages too? Because over the last 2 seasons, thats the sorts of areas and deals we’d be looking at.

We can’t be cutting our cloth, trimming the wage bill massively, and then out laying fees for 6 month/12 month loans that are more expensive than a lot of our permanent signings that we can a) spread the cost of over a 3 year contract and b) make a profit on from selling them thereafter!

I suppose the can that Tammy Abraham kicked down the road was the replacement of Kodjia's goals, and in doing so enabled us to be able to sell Kodjia at a very significant profit. So you could argue that the £5.5m was to replace Kodjia - and to give us time to do so. And in the meantime Tammy's goals probably kept us up - so all in all that seems to me to be the right use of loans.

Whilst for all the reasons you've given the signing of Jake O'Brien would not have been.

Which is all I'm suggesting really - that there's no absolute black and white with loan signings - there are good ones, there are bad, some make sense, some don't. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

I saw nothing in NP reign that he could get us promoted so why not change now when everything from 3rd-21st is so fluid? Let someone new assess over the last international break and get some backing in January. We know what we had from Pearson. A practical style for avoiding relegation.

Think the challenge is lots of folk, including me, disagree with this. Given the progress made in difficult circumstances and with sensible backing, I could see him getting us promoted. And not as he’s never done it before, unlike lots of up and coming managers. We’ll never know who was right/wrong as no control group, all about opinions, and that’s fair enough. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

At £8m (our record fee) & on around £25k a week I would certainly hope that Kalas wasn’t “too shabby”.

The reality sure is grey but I believe for every Josh Brownhill (probably LJ’s best VFM signing) there were sadly at least 2 Marley Watkins & Hakeeb Adelakun’s. That’s before you get to £3.5m for Kasey Palmer & a rumoured £20k a week & there are loads of others.

Pearson’s “worst” signing was possibly Simpson, a one year deal, low wage one who he binned off early. Kane Wilson cost a rumoured £200k, he clearly didn’t rate him, but again he didn’t hang around for years, as happened under LJ.

I do try to be balanced but some on here are suggesting Pearson had no part in slashing the wage bill, which is ridiculous.

Yes, of course that's a ridiculous suggestion. As is the suggestion that we can't move forward without him. Again - just making the point that everything's not black and white! And, incidentally, not suggesting for a moment that you don't try to be balanced - but there are some pretty extreme views being aired on here at the moment!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Think the challenge is lots of folk, including me, disagree with this. Given the progress made in difficult circumstances and with sensible backing, I could see him getting us promoted. And not as he’s never done it before, unlike lots of up and coming managers. We’ll never know who was right/wrong as no control group, all about opinions, and that’s fair enough. 

Promoted is also a hard one to say, promoted via top 2 seems a tough ask for anyone who isn't a Parachute club.

Playoffs surely the best bet.

6 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Yes but how you posted is not how my opinion often  gets a response. We disagree. I am fine with that. I do think it is probably closer to 50/50 than this forum represents. You hear lots of different things on the coaches to away games, walking through the ground home or away and in the pubs. 

I been around here a long time, I don’t mind arguments😂 not fair on genuine new people though with some posters borderline having a go at bullying just because they don’t think Pearson was amazing. Think we all want whats best for city in the end. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yes but how you posted is not how my opinion often  gets a response. We disagree. I am fine with that. I do think it is probably closer to 50/50 than this forum represents. You hear lots of different things on the coaches to away games, walking through the ground home or away and in the pubs. 

I been around here a long time, I don’t mind arguments😂 not fair on genuine new people though with some posters borderline having a go at bullying just because they don’t think Pearson was amazing. Think we all want whats best for city in the end. 

Fair that we should all be civil, sometimes folk, inc me, get carried away (on all sides of any given argument) and that probably isn’t a great look for any of us. I’m not convinced that there hasn’t been a decent effort by Bristol Sport to play their story into OTIB, but also get that it’s nonsense to claim that everyone who disagrees with a view is either an NP acolyte or a BS plant, mostly it’s just be the joy of different views. 

• Like 3

The cynic in me suggests the club knew of his upcoming hospital stay and how that would cause him to have a period of absence.

I think that may have played into their decision to sack him when they did. You can't sack someone who is in hospital. I'm thinking out loud but I guess they maybe thought if results did continue to not improve, sacking him whilst he's in hospital or on a period of absence would be nigh on impossible.

I think without his medical problems, he may have not been sacked and I'm very uncomfortable with that. 

Losing the two games gave them the perfect opportunity to sack him based on results, even tho we can all see through that.

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

The cynic in me suggests the club knew of his upcoming hospital stay and how that would cause him to have a period of absence.

I think that may have played into their decision to sack him when they did. You can't sack someone who is in hospital. I'm thinking out loud but I guess they maybe thought if results did continue to not improve, sacking him whilst he's in hospital or on a period of absence would be nigh on impossible.

I think without his medical problems, he may have not been sacked and I'm very uncomfortable with that. 

Losing the two games gave them the perfect opportunity to sack him based on results, even tho we can all see through that.

I can see what your saying from a decent human point of view but it's it's business with 100s of staff. If they didn't pull the trigger and god forbid get relegated while pearson was recovering, I'd be massively surprised if most in here wouldn't be going mental at the board for not sacking him before it got to that point.

2 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

I can see what your saying from a decent human point of view but it's it's business with 100s of staff. If they didn't pull the trigger and god forbid get relegated while pearson was recovering, I'd be massively surprised if most in here wouldn't be going mental at the board for not sacking him before it got to that point.

Yeah I agree, although if there had been more funds available earlier in the summer/season,him taking a break for his health probably wouldn’t have been such an issue as it seems now, as it might if he’d stayed in the current circumstances. 

9 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

I can see what you're saying too. 

But from a moral perspective it doesn’t sit right with me. I'd rather we be relegated than sack someone for health reasons. 

I think what makes it worse for me is that the club often like to do a lot of PR about the good they do. Giving out meals at away games for example. Whilst they like to frame ourselves as a caring club, all this shows is that all that is just done for PR.

55 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

You either conform or you work for bristol sport (apparently)

No, that’s not true.

But there have been some new posters join who used their own names / emails in creating accounts and were traced to being BS employees….hence why some posters are now dubious about some new accounts with a pro-Lansdown opinion.

Some new posters might be non-BS and support SL but there was a bit of an influx.

There is no “must conform” on OTIB.  There are posters, good and bad, highly opinionated on either side…and a bunch in the middle.  There is a swell of pro-Nige / anti-SL at the mo.  That changes through time.  A year ago it was different swell.

What you see is some posters go into hiding and come out when it suits them, whichever “side” they are on.

As long as debate remains civil, then that’s fine.  I’d prefer posters explain their view, rather than just posts he’s good, he’s bad, but that’s just my preference.

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

No, that’s not true.

But there have been some new posters join who used their own names / emails in creating accounts and were traced to being BS employees….hence why some posters are now dubious about some new accounts with a pro-Lansdown opinion.

Some new posters might be non-BS and support SL but there was a bit of an influx.

There is no “must conform” on OTIB.  There are posters, good and bad, highly opinionated on either side…and a bunch in the middle.  There is a swell of pro-Nige / anti-SL at the mo.  That changes through time.  A year ago it was different swell.

What you see is some posters go into hiding and come out when it suits them, whichever “side” they are on.

As long as debate remains civil, then that’s fine.  I’d prefer posters explain their view, rather than just posts he’s good, he’s bad, but that’s just my preference.

Some people are not as educated or articulate as others so I'd imagine going toe to toe with someone who writes actually paragraphs can be off putting 😂😂

The funny thing is that Bristol City/Sport wouldn’t know that a huge amount of supporters were so incensed unless they came here! (Or possibly the odd other site) 

So the idea that this site is not monitored and not going through extra monitoring right now is absurd.

The amount of new or rare posters around here is ridiculous. Particularly as the majority of those are bigging up the decisions made!

Still it’s fun to watch people I’ve never noticed before have their say (some on behalf of someone else!) 

If You are reading Jon, (or are reading on behalf of Jon) your a KNOB!

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, that’s not true.

Which when you think about it, just goes to show how much opinions on here count, when it comes to how much the media pick up on it and use opinions to reflect a ' public' opinion about the club. 

Personally I feel the forum gives a more robust opinion over the more apathetic majority of those who attend games. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The funny thing is that Bristol City/Sport wouldn’t know that a huge amount of supporters were so incensed unless they came here! (Or possibly the odd other site) 

So the idea that this site is not monitored and not going through extra monitoring right now is absurd.

The amount of new or rare posters around here is ridiculous. Particularly as the majority of those are bigging up the decisions made!

Still it’s fun to watch people I’ve never noticed before have their say (some on behalf of someone else!) 

If You are reading Jon, (or are reading on behalf of Jon) you’re a KNOB!

Seeing as you’ve gone through all my posts and put a laughing reaction I’m guessing this is partly aimed at me?

I’m just going to make a general statement, make of that what you will.

Supporting this club for many years then being told about it by a new friend, signing up, then posting once a big event happens for this club is ridiculous to you?

Unlike most of the pro-NP members, i think there is no reason to suggest whether the decision made would be bad for the club with such certainty. I also think that this decision has a chance to be a bad one, but time will tell and no matter what I’ll be down the gate giving my support.

Another thing, seeing how the pro-NP members communicate with the members that have different opinions than them is quite embarrassing, seeing as we’re supposed to be all supporting the same thing. Of course it goes the other way as well, but no where near as much.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

What did you see that makes you think he could gain promotion? 
we are the same inconsistent side we have been since he got here.

No chance he’d have got us up for me 

2 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

What did you see that makes you think he could gain promotion? 
we are the same inconsistent side we have been since he got here.

No chance he’d have got us up for me 

I saw a team on a massively lower budget, bringing youngsters through successfully, doing as well as previous iterations that had vast budgets with vast numbers of players. He also had a team that was organised and working hard, maybe that’s bare minimum, but it’s not common. Allied with the fact that he’d actually achieved promotion from the Championship to the Premier League, gave me confidence that he was a decent chance. Maybe someone else will achieve it, I’ll be surprised if they do it with the same financial constraints. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Swede said:

I am not "in the know "and there is much negativity aimed towards the board because of the timing and the health issues but I can't believe that this was of their choosing. 

I think it all points to NP telling them where to stick it and him walking out.   

Yes I could see that happening. NP has given hints that he expected some of the AS money to spend. And think he expected more than the ability to obtain OOC players. But I do feel we will never get the truth of the content of the final meeting with the suits and NP. I will be there cheering our boys on and quite prepared to make my voice heard at my misgivings with our current owner and his minions actions and lack of actions. 

COYR

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, UncleRed said:

Seeing as you’ve gone through all my posts and put a laughing reaction I’m guessing this is partly aimed at me?

I’m just going to make a general statement, make of that what you will.

Supporting this club for many years then being told about it by a new friend, signing up, then posting once a big event happens for this club is ridiculous to you?

Unlike most of the pro-NP members, i think there is no reason to suggest whether the decision made would be bad for the club with such certainty. I also think that this decision has a chance to be a bad one, but time will tell and no matter what I’ll be down the gate giving my support.

Another thing, seeing how the pro-NP members communicate with the members that have different opinions than them is quite embarrassing, seeing as we’re supposed to be all supporting the same thing. Of course it goes the other way as well, but no where near as much.

Gone through your posts. 😂

Think a lot of yourself don’t you!

If the cap fits wear it, if not don’t! 

Jon if you’re still there you are still a knob!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Gone through your posts. 😂

Think a lot of yourself don’t you!

If the cap fits wear it, if not don’t! 

Jon if you’re still there you are still a knob!

Not really, could say the same about you going through posts that you don’t agree with laughing at them.

point proven though thanks.

10 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Utter bullshit.

Matter of opinion I suppose jack, you may have found it exciting on the whole. Which I’m jealous of because at least it was money well spent for you.

But in my opinion we’ve not been playing attacking on the front foot football? Think the stats might back that up.

11 minutes ago, UncleRed said:

Not really, could say the same about you going through posts that you don’t agree with laughing at them.

point proven though thanks.

Matter of opinion I suppose jack, you may have found it exciting on the whole. Which I’m jealous of because at least it was money well spent for you.

But in my opinion we’ve not been playing attacking on the front foot football? Think the stats might back that up.

It’s only 5:15 here. Go to bed saddo!