IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday at home match thread

Welcome to the start (and quite possibly the end) of the CF era, our first game since Nigel was sacked and I’m very deliberately going to side-step that truly appalling decision and stick to our opponents and the game ahead.

CF presser: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/fleming-looks-ahead-to-owls-clash/

At one point last season Darren Moore's men (as they then were) looked on course for automatic promotion with a club-record 23-game unbeaten run.

In the end they were involved in the play-off come back of all time, having lost the first leg away at Peterborough (who finished 19 points behind them in the league) 4-0 they won the second leg 5-1 (making it 4-4 on aggregate in the 98 minute), they were 5-4 down in extra time and again equalised. They then won the penalty shoot out 5-3 with Jack Hunt scoring their last penalty!  A remarkable game and come back, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/65520006

Darren was quite emotional: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/65647001

The following night Barnsley edged a tight League One play-off semi-final second leg against Bolton winning 2-1 on aggregate to set up an all-South Yorkshire final against Sheffield Wednesday at Wembley.

Then On 29 May they won the play off final like this according to BBC sport …..120+3 mins GOAL: Barnsley 0-1 Sheff Wed, Josh Windass. ‘Josh Windass writes himself into a Sheffield Wednesday legend when he comes up with a diving header and what is surely the winner deep into extra time. We were seconds from going to a penalty shootout.’

The irony of this won’t be lost on City fans!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-65756376

In mid-June Moore left by mutual agreement, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65956639

He was replaced by former Watford boss Xisco Munoz. Munoz, 42, led Watford to the Premier League during his time in charge, before being sacked when the Hornets were 14th in the top flight. The Spaniard has also coached Dinamo Tbilisi in Georgia, Spanish side Huesca, and Cypriot club Anorthosis Famagusta.

In early October they sacked Xisco Munoz after he failed to win any of his 10 Championship games in charge. The Spaniard picked up just two points as Owls manager as the club made its worst ever start to a season.

They appointed former Germany assistant coach 34 year old Danny Rohl as their new manager. He had this to say pre-match: https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/videos/view-1996-live-danny-röhls-pre-bristol-city-press-conference/

They signed Chile international defender Juan Delgado from Portuguese club Pacos de Ferreira, with the terms of the deal undisclosed. The 30-year-old has 13 caps for his native country, and worked under new Owls boss Xisco Munoz at Spanish side Gimnastic de Tarragona.

They signed Watford striker Ashley Fletcher on a season-long loan. The 27-year-old, who came through Manchester United's academy, spent 2022-23 on loan in the second tier with Wigan Athletic.

They also signed Sporting Gijon defender Pol Valentin for an undisclosed fee. The 26-year-old Spaniard played alongside Owls boss Xisco Munoz at Gimnastic de Tarragona.

They signed Jamaica international defender Di'Shon Bernard following his release by Premier League side Manchester United. The 22-year-old came through Chelsea's academy before joining the Red Devils' youth setup when he was 16.

In early August they added defender Bambo Diaby from PNE and Monaco forward Anthony Musaba for undisclosed fees.

They also signed Portimonense midfielder Momo Diaby on a season-long loan deal. The 26-year-old Frenchman, who has spent his whole senior career to date in Portugal, became their ninth summer signing.

In mid August they signed Paris St-Germain forward Djeidi Gassama.

On deadline day they signed midfielders Jeff Hendrick and John Buckley on loan from Newcastle United and Blackburn Rovers respectively.

Head-to-head record, isn’t good!

Won: 18

Lost: 30

Drawn: 16

We hopefully will welcome back a trio of defenders into the squad as Zak Vyner, Kal Nasmith and George Tanner have all trained this week following extended injury lay-offs.

Zak pre-match: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/vyner-previews-sheffield-wednesday-clash/

They will be without Delgado and Diaby, Musaba has given the all-clear after an injury scare in the Rotherham game.

Officials

Referee: Lewis Smith. It's Smith's 16th match of the season as he's mainly been working in League Two, although his most recent fixture was Rotherham's 2-0 win over Coventry. Worth noting perhaps that he's issued three red cards in his last five games. He was promoted from the National League for this season so subsequently this will be his first time officiating at Ashton Gate and refereeing a City game.

Assistants: Shaun Hudson and Blake Antrobus
Fourth Official : Gavin Ward

Currently they are bottom on six points. Last Sunday they ended a 13-game winless run when they beat Rotherham 2-0.

Recently they were put under a registration embargo by the English Football League because of money owed to HM Revenue and Customs. It means Wednesday cannot register any players without prior written consent. Last month, owner Dejphon Chansiri said he would stop funding the club after "being treated unfairly" by some fans. Then on Tuesday he asked fans to raise £2m in the coming days to help the club pay the outstanding debt to HM Revenue and Customs and cover wages!

On 1 November Chansiri said they had paid their bill with HM Revenue and Customs and will come out of a transfer embargo.

View from one of their fans with thanks to Holmowl….

‘In terms of the football side, basically ignore our first 10 games and our league position. We were managed by an absolute excuse for a football manager and those performances have zero relevance on the side, shape, effort and coherence of what you’ll see on Saturday.

Our illustrious chairman got hoodwinked by a bloke with almost zero track record in football and appointed him manager. Think The Emporer’s New Clothes or Brexit - absolutely naked behind the rhetoric.

We’ll be highly organised and highly driven*. We’ve good pace, good power and a plan. Bannan is back pulling the strings in his best role. Rumour has it that our previous manager was going to try him in goal next. Our fitness is up week on week - expect a real challenge.

*As others are alluding to we fans are desperately and justifiably scared silly about our future under this lunatic of an owner. We thought we had a rich loony but it now transpires we have a nopotlefttopissin loony. So the question is can new wunderkind manager, Danny Rohl, use this to galvanise the players or will it demoralise? Personally for at least this Saturday I think Rohl will use it to his advantage, but it’ll get harder for him after that as the anger of no wages and no strategy kick in.’

Back to where I started. I can only imagine that the outrage and anger expressed among so many fans regarding the sacking of NP is even more intensely felt by his players and staff. Their reaction in this game will be interesting.

IMG_4319.jpeg

IMG_3667.jpeg

IMG_3671.jpeg

IMG_3670.jpeg

IMG_3669.jpeg

IMG_3674.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
43 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Good.

Surprised though.

Must be a load coming down from Sheffield (as usual tbf) as the home tickets aren't exactly flying out.

2,289 left in home ends according to a quick search, although dunno if they release certain areas in batches, sales dependent etc. Obviously the usual caveats of sold vs attending etc.

Sheffield Wednesday usually travel well but tomorrow dunno.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

From a Wednesday perspective I'm keen to see if we've finally started to turn the corner (even though it's too late in my opinion) or if Rotherham are just as bad as we are. We were arguably the better side for most of the game at Watford in Rohl's first game, and were excellent in the first half at Plymouth, but got nothing from those two. Dominated Rotherham last weekend, but sadly it's been another rough week due to the wally who owns the club.

Tricky week or so for yourselves of course, so very difficult to make a confident prediction. 

A couple of weeks ago it'd have looked a banker home win.

Going to sit on the fence a bit though and say 1-1.

• Like 8
15 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

From a Wednesday perspective I'm keen to see if we've finally started to turn the corner (even though it's too late in my opinion) or if Rotherham are just as bad as we are. We were arguably the better side for most of the game at Watford in Rohl's first game, and were excellent in the first half at Plymouth, but got nothing from those two. Dominated Rotherham last weekend, but sadly it's been another rough week due to the wally who owns the club.

Tricky week or so for yourselves of course, so very difficult to make a confident prediction. 

A couple of weeks ago it'd have looked a banker home win.

Going to sit on the fence a bit though and say 1-1.

If you are on the up, I hope so. Your fans are cracking.  Just not today please. 

I fully expect a home win today, but if you take the lead I can see things getting toxic very quickly. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Generally quite a lot are predicting Sheffield Wednesday to get something here which is a bit surprising given their away record.

Prutton predicts 2-1 to Sheffield Wednesday fwiw and a Football League side predicts 1-1, or both pundits do.

Sports Keeda predicts 2-0 us however.

Prutton  NEVER predicts a City win, he doesn't like us, 

19 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

2,289 left in home ends according to a quick search, although dunno if they release certain areas in batches, sales dependent etc. Obviously the usual caveats of sold vs attending etc.

Sheffield Wednesday usually travel well but tomorrow dunno.

Sheffield Wednesday sold about 2.5k

• Thanks 1

I’m psyching myself up for today’s big match. I usually wear lucky red socks but, today, as I’m in mourning for Nigel I’m wearing a darker shade. Also, in respect for Nigel, instead of the usual lucky sausage roll, I’m going to take a slice of Melton Mowbray pork pie. Forecast - a 2-2 draw, good support for the players and a few pro Pearson / anti Lansdown songs sung

• Haha 1

Afternoon all!   Well the first game since NP demise, I only hope the players will be up for it today and do their best, hopefully some back from injury. This will be another hard game especially without a full time manager and lets hope they will play well in respect for all NP's hard work. A draw is my predition, but hoping for a good win. So Come On You Red's.

First game without the peoples king, majority of fans in disarray with the senior stakeholders of the club, facing a Sheffield Wednesday side coming off their first win, with a beautiful up & coming progressive German coach who learned his trade under one of the most highly thought of managers in Europe. 

What could possibly go wrong. 

• Hmmm 1
  • Robin 1
1 minute ago, petehinton said:

First game without the peoples king, majority of fans in disarray with the senior stakeholders of the club, facing a Sheffield Wednesday side coming off their first win, with a beautiful up & coming progressive German coach who learned his trade under one of the most highly thought of managers in Europe. 

If we ship a few goals I can see it getting pretty toxic. And not against the players. 

2 minutes ago, One Team said:

If we ship a few goals I can see it getting pretty toxic. And not against the players. 

1-0 down after 10 minutes. Fans moaning. Stupid sexy Rohl barking his orders in broken English, whilst no doubt wearing a full tracksuit including snood. 

Never felt so anxious. 

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, petehinton said:

I have the greatest respect for Curtis but can’t see a win today, draw more likely.

Interested to see if anyone features in the squad who didn’t get a chance under Nige, so Sam Pearson, Francois or the lesser spotted OTC.

As last week we only named 8 subs & 2 were goalkeepers there might be a surprise & who knows if Tinnion has any input.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, winsaw said:

Really hoping we see a positive reaction from the players and they don't let all this week's issues get on top of them, Wednesday seam to be slowly improving so worried they are playing us at a good time, 

After all this week's issues I would take a draw 

That's all we want really - the team sticking together and getting on with it. It's just nice to be involved in an game, and be able to support the team and Flem, rather than stuck on otib losing my mind and posting sht. I'll probably look in on the MDT at half-time (BS wi-fi permitting) just to see how the usual stirrers are getting on. Hopefully they'll be quiet today.

Edited by Sleepy1968