IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday at home match thread

32 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Maybe this forum just isn’t a true reflection of the overall fan base 

If you’re interested enough in City to contribute to the forum, then that probably makes you a bit more passionate about the club than your average supporter.

But I don’t think that means opinions here aren’t broadly representative. On the poll this week, there were 800 votes and over 90% thought the club were wrong to sack Pearson. That’s so extreme in one direction, I think we can reasonably assume a large majority of the fanbase did not want Pearson to go. But we probably have to concede that most people might not care as much as your average OTIBer.

I think the issue might also be that there’s no focal point for our frustrations today - it’s not like Steve Lansdown strolled across the centre circle.

Having said all that, I do think it’s a bit surprising and disappointing there hasn’t been more of a reaction.

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Robin101 said:

Dreadful atmosphere. Thought it might be feisty but no… flat, dull, as if no one cares. Barely any encouragement even if we nick the ball and have four on two!

Agree - it feels very flat, dispirited and we don’t look overly sharp. It feels like as opposed to feisty it’s reflective of the general disillusionment following the events of the last week. Saw S82 tweeting that they were getting behind the team (as opposed assumedly to getting at Lansdown or pro Pearson shouts), but I can’t help feel some of that “edge” may help things. 

Fact is the players probably don’t understand the decision so their heads are not totally there. I realise they’re pros but they’re also humans.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

I think we look a bit flat. Tommy struggling to get anything out of Diaby and Sykes needs to have a go getting to the byline, permanently going back slows us up....

Probably following AW’s constant two-handed directives to slow the game down 😔

Edited by Sturgess

I think our biggest issue in the game so far is Weimann is offering nothing and we keep trying to play long balls in behind despite them being a man down and so they are sitting back and setting up for that. 
If we want to have any success in this game we need to make the most of the extra player, move them about, play passes that create space, not lump it up and essentially waste the man advantage.

I know people don't want to hear this right now but this is where we need a manager who can identify that issue and make the changes, to speak to the players and tell them this, not to stick to the one plan they had before the game.

I actually think I'm even more frustrated than I was before the game watching this, to me this is football 101, you get a man advantage early enough in the game you don't play a style that doesn't work on a team who are sitting back, Sheffield Wednesday will see this situation as if they can take a point it's a good result, we on the other hand will see it as an utter failure, and rightfully so as we have the advantage, we're at home, we have a lot of players back, this team put out today is arguably our strongest line up if you put Bell in for Weimann. If this team can't beat a 10-man team who are bottom of the league at home then questions are really going to be raised, especially when the performance against Cardiff with a bare-bones starting line up had more teeth to it than this one has so far.

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Agree - it feels very flat, dispirited and we don’t look overly sharp. It feels like as opposed to feisty it’s reflective of the general disillusionment following the events of the last week. Saw S82 tweeting that they were getting behind the team (as opposed assumedly to getting at Lansdown or pro Pearson shouts), but I can’t help feel some of that “edge” may help things. 

Fact is the players probably don’t understand the decision so their heads are not totally there. I realise they’re pros but they’re also humans.

Disillusionment is a very good way of describing it I think. That’s probably the overriding feeling right now, rather than outright anger.