IGNORED

O’Leary

formerly known as ivan

1 hour ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Does anyone actually watch other keepers, Sheffield's keeper's was 10 times worse than Max

Yes but Wednesday's keeper has been in and out of the side on the basis of him being error prone. Today he totally messed up the game for them from a dominant position, with a poor pass equal to a similar bad pass from O'Leary a few minutes prior. Context is everything. 

Edited by mozo

1 minute ago, aa_bcfc said:

So Mehmeti is awful, Bell misses an absolute sitter, Weinman had another shocker and frankly looks finished, Tanner is probably league 1 and fans pile in on O’Leary. 

I'm not a massive fan of Tanner particularly his attacking game but, say what you like, we do look a lot more balanced with him in the side. Bell missed a sitter but still made several great runs not spotted by our midfield generals and I think you are being harsh on Mehmeti........as for Weimann I'm sad to say I'm inclined to agree with you based on recent outings.

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

It wasn’t a dig but the save was pure luck as you well no it

FWIW I think if a keeper is committed to saving the free-kick, and it gets a touch 4 yards in front of him, and he sticks up his “wrong hand” and it hit that and rebounds to safety, I think that’s more than luck.  If he waits for the touch and it doesn’t get one, he might be too late.

Good goalkeeping imho.

Haven’t see the header back early in the second half.  Looked decent too?

Kicking early on, terrible.

Overall, well done Max.

On an aside I had a little bit of twitter DM back and forth with a Wednesday fan / fanalyst during the week.

IMG_8930.thumb.jpeg.968cc2890945fdcb150c011c3cf531fa.jpeg

Can I claim any credit?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Problem is it was pure luck,had it been a proper touch it would of been a goal but we will take it 

It's a decent touch, Max deliberately puts his arm out to save it, it's a great reaction save. If he was stood stock still and the ball hits hem, yeah , that would be lucky. It was a good save.

Thought he was good again today, the only thing is I do wonder if he could come to punch some of those crossed on the 6 yard box. That said , when he claims balls on the edge of the 18 yard box that is not just a catch, that stops an attack and either starts our attack or like today, takes time out of the game.  

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

FWIW I think if a keeper is committed to saving the free-kick, and it gets a touch 4 yards in front of him, and he sticks up his “wrong hand” and it hit that and rebounds to safety, I think that’s more than luck.  If he waits for the touch and it doesn’t get one, he might be too late.

Good goalkeeping imho.

Haven’t see the header back early in the second half.  Looked decent too?

Kicking early on, terrible.

Overall, well done Max.

On an aside I had a little bit of twitter DM back and forth with a Wednesday fan / fanalyst during the week.

IMG_8930.thumb.jpeg.968cc2890945fdcb150c011c3cf531fa.jpeg

Can I claim any credit?

Have watched it many times just to make sure I wasn’t talking nonsense as per normal 😉and I still stand by he didn’t know where the ball was going,if people want to call it a great save or a bit of luck it really doesn’t matter but let’s not make out it was let’s say a Banks save 

15 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It's a decent touch, Max deliberately puts his arm out to save it, it's a great reaction save. If he was stood stock still and the ball hits hem, yeah , that would be lucky. It was a good save.

Thought he was good again today, the only thing is I do wonder if he could come to punch some of those crossed on the 6 yard box. That said , when he claims balls on the edge of the 18 yard box that is not just a catch, that stops an attack and either starts our attack or like today, takes time out of the game.  

It was a brilliant save. Wtf is wrong with some people. That stop earned us two points!

• Like 3

It's not just the initial save, what you can't appreciate from the clip above is he still had the presence of mind to stick his leg out to stop the Wednesday player getting the rebound.

Atkinson was also complimentary in his commentary about how well Max helps them defend crosses.

Perhaps he needs some more established competition, but I still think it would cost a lot of money to get a significant upgrade, whether it's transfer fees or salary.

5 minutes ago, Red from afar said:

It's not just the initial save, what you can't appreciate from the clip above is he still had the presence of mind to stick his leg out to stop the Wednesday player getting the rebound.

Atkinson was also complimentary in his commentary about how well Max helps them defend crosses.

Perhaps he needs some more established competition, but I still think it would cost a lot of money to get a significant upgrade, whether it's transfer fees or salary.

Which would be money well spent, IMO.

2 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

The reality is we got rid of Bentley because he was on huge wages and a decent shot stopper, but his distribution was terrible. The thought was that Max had better distribution skills but that doesn’t seem to be the case. He’s not a bad keeper but he does have mistakes that cost goals and points (e.g. the winning goal for Ipswich) and he wouldn’t be first choice in a team vying for promotion. Just ax we would need more threat up front for that we would also need a better keeper.

I think the biggest difference is that Max would look for a quick release - people forget that Bents rarely did so, as he usually would fail to spot the run, and he'd never kick it into the channels.

Secondly, Max with the cross today and the aerial claims - whereas Bents would stay glued to his line. Its the one area of Max's game which has improved massively since becoming number one.

• Like 3

It’s an excellent save. And he is definitely capable of excellent saves.

However, pretty much every professional keeper is capable of making excellent saves. Some will be better than shot stoppers than others, but really that difference is pretty marginal. You can see keepers at all professional levels make really outstanding stops.

It tends to be other aspects of goalkeeping that determine if a keeper is merely average, good, or one of the very best; for example, the error rate, the command of the box, the decision making and - especially in the modern game - the quality and consistency of distribution and the ability with the ball at feet.

For me Max is a broadly decent keeper. But there are some clear areas for improvement and I do think his error rate  in particular feels a little high. One excellent save today doesn’t change any of that.

Personally, I’m still not convinced he is the goalkeeper we need for a top six finish.

Agreed, there are some areas he could improve in, but unless JL decides to turn the money taps on, I can't look past the fact that only 3 teams have let in fewer goals so far this season, whereas only 5 have scored fewer. If there's limited funds, they can probably be better spent elsewhere.

Edited by Red from afar
  • Like 1

Max is a good goalkeeper commands his area and defenders know he will come for a cross and most occasions take it cleanly in the air ( unlike Bentley flapping at it ). He gives confidence to the defence and is always willing receive the ball ⚽️. His distribution could be better on occasions but most of the time it is okay. Let’s face it the statistics show he is one of the best goalkeepers in the championship. 
The other thing is he has worked hard at our academy stuck to at it  done his loans etc. Now he is our No 1 one of our own give the lad a break 

• Like 2

Problem with Max, is that goalkeepers really are expected to be as capable on the ball as the rest of defence these days, and it does sometimes highlight a weakness, however we’re seeing this with elite players as well so it’s not just him. 

Could we do better? Probably not worth it within a limited budget. Sure he’s let in a couple of soft goals recently, but I don’t buy into the view that he regularly costs points.

When you’re in a position where there’s nowhere to hide, anything less than perfect every game is probably going to cost a goal, and that’s an incredibly high bar to maintain. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Problem with Max, is that goalkeepers really are expected to be as capable on the ball as the rest of defence these days, and it does sometimes highlight a weakness, however we’re seeing this with elite players as well so it’s not just him. 

Could we do better? Probably not worth it within a limited budget. Sure he’s let in a couple of soft goals recently, but I don’t buy into the view that he regularly costs points.

When you’re in a position where there’s nowhere to hide, anything less than perfect every game is probably going to cost a goal, and that’s an incredibly high bar to maintain. 

Agree, but think a lot of his crap kicking is self inflicted by the way we play in possession, we are slow to move the ball around in defence and midfield which invites pressure so often both our center backs often recieved the ball under pressure and the same is the case with max he often gets the ball with an opposition player closing him down hard leading to rushed distribution which leads to errors. 

Maybe if we move the ball around more quickly at the back thst enables max to offload the ball quicker and shorter which may see an improvement? 

He does need to work on his non instinctive shot stopping for me, he's cost us goals against both Leeds and Ipswich which have likely cost us points. 

I don't think Max is anywhere near as bad as some people make out and if he can improve his shot stopping from range then I think he's a good keeper at this level. 

• Like 2

The one thing that really annoys me about Max kicking is he always goes long and 9 times out of 10 the ball goes straight to the other team , we set up for him to play it short at the back and let the defenders get the ball moving up the pitch in a more controlled way but he just will not do it, as long as he keeps kicking it long he's just putting pressure straight back on us and never giving us the chance to be creative, this is his biggest problem for me 

On 04/11/2023 at 19:48, aa_bcfc said:

So Mehmeti is awful, Bell misses an absolute sitter, Weinman had another shocker and frankly looks finished, Tanner is probably league 1 and fans pile in on O’Leary. 

Good job we won then

The knifes would have came out had we lost 

God bless otib 

On 04/11/2023 at 19:48, aa_bcfc said:

Good job we won then

The knifes would have came out had we lost 

God bless otib