IGNORED

Could our next coach be a woman?

Coombsy

I think - with the growing professionalisation of the women’s game - it is only a matter of time before a female manager gets a chance at a football league or premier league club but I think it will be one of the progressive/innovative clubs that goes first.

I could see a club like Brighton, Brentford or Forest Green doing it before too long but I think we are too risk averse a club to do it until a woman has succeeded elsewhere. 

The first few will start appearing in "serious" positions in the men's game sooner rather than later imo, and the game will be better for it as a result.

I'd be very surprised if it's initially at championship level though.  

Whoever the first few are they'll have more balls than a fair few of the posters on this thread by the looks of things that's for sure!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It's got to wash with the players first. If a woman coach came in and the players liked her methods they would let the fanbase know soon enough whereas if the woman concerned was a blagger who really shouldn't have been given the job.......they would let everyone know about that too, no different to a bloke.

100%. Dressing room politics,  the sole arbiter, if your a female coach or Jose Mauriniho it's the same ....

Edited by B1ackbird
  • Like 1

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

I think - with the growing professionalisation of the women’s game - it is only a matter of time before a female manager gets a chance at a football league or premier league club but I think it will be one of the progressive/innovative clubs that goes first.

I could see a club like Brighton, Brentford or Forest Green doing it before too long but I think we are too risk averse a club to do it until a woman has succeeded elsewhere. 

I think we would need a new Owner, Chairman and Director of Football or whatever Tinnion claims to be before we ever think about going down that road!! Imagine the Three Muskateers being asked by a "******* Woman of all people" what the **** she was meant to do with the squad they have just given her and not a pot to piss in..........

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It's got to wash with the players first. If a woman coach came in and the players liked her methods they would let the fanbase know soon enough whereas if the woman concerned was a blagger who really shouldn't have been given the job.......they would let everyone know about that too, no different to a bloke.

I think the thing is though that when they fail - and they will, because it does for almost all managers except an extremely elite few, it'll be because they're a woman in a lot of people's eyes rather than more objective reasons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Doesn't really have to wash with the players as they're employees of a football club the manager is whoever the chair etc deems fit too manage.

I get your point but disagree 

Plenty of men manage in women's football and no one has a hang up about that

There's a smattering of women managers in the men's game.

Decentish blog below 

https://footbalists.wordpress.com/2020/08/18/top-10-female-managers-of-mens-football-teams/

Players are just "employees" as you say BUT, and it happens with blokes, if the players don't like what they have been given it is very easy to play at 90% and get someone bombed out. We might see it at Ashton Gate of our management team get things wrong!! We've all seen it, and at bigger clubs than Bristol City too. As it happens I don't think the vast majority of male players will have a problem with a woman manager who is up to the job. They will have a problem with any manager of any sex that isn't up to the job though.

4 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I think the thing is though that when they fail - and they will, because it does for almost all managers except an extremely elite few, it'll be because they're a woman in a lot of people's eyes rather than more objective reasons.

That's up to the clubs who employ women managers to manage PROPERLY when they fire them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

100%. Dressing room politics,  the sole arbiter, if your a female coach or Jose Marineo it's the same ....

I'm not sure how my points are coming across but that's what I'm saying really - if the right woman is appointed the dressing room politics will be fine. If not, they won't....  

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Forest Green already appointed a female in temporary charge didn’t they, clearly a pr exercise.

If a female manager had had success at non-league level and then repeated that through Divisions 4 and 3 then absolutely we should consider them.

I'm sure that will come about in the nearish future but until the day when we're appointing a female manager on pure merit then no, it would be a mixture of an enormous gamble and a publicity stunt worthy of the Uri Geller / Michael Jackson era at Exeter.

3 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Skills are interchangeable here and there's ex men's players who are appointed with naff all experience and fail all the time 

I don't like that either!

Wayne Rooney, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard were appointed into top manager jobs despite having zero experience purely because they were famous footballers.

I agree that having played professional football is an advantage for a manager but there is no reason why being a great footballer should mean that you are a great or even a good manager.

Two words: Sol Campbell.

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

The first few will start appearing in "serious" positions in the men's game sooner rather than later imo, and the game will be better for it as a result.

I'd be very surprised if it's initially at championship level though.  

Whoever the first few are they'll have more balls than a fair few of the posters on this thread by the looks of things that's for sure!

out of interest, why will "the game be better for it as a result"?

• The title was changed to Could our next coach be a woman?
3 hours ago, Glen hump said:

Forest Green already appointed a female in temporary charge didn’t they, clearly a pr exercise.

I’m not so sure that was the real reason.  They’d got rid of the previous manager and his staff, and she was the next best qualified to take over pre-season training.  I’m not sure who else they could’ve chosen?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not so sure that was the real reason.  They’d got rid of the previous manager and his staff, and she was the next best qualified to take over pre-season training.  I’m not sure who else they could’ve chosen?

You don’t have to be qualified to take training , it certainly got them some media attention for a week or 2 , not heard a thing about her since 

2 hours ago, Red Cloud said:

out of interest, why will "the game be better for it as a result"?

Just because at the moment we're only ever looking at half the available/potential talent!

I also think lots of women will have had a different route into the game and likely a different perspective on how to approach management - the more different thoughts and approaches we can get it'll only be good for the game imo.

4 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

I’d love to see what Emma Haynes or Siena Wiegman could do for the rest of the season, but any success would be easily dismissed as “NP’s legacy” rather than a result of their ability, which we wouldn’t be able to prove or disprove either way.

🤦🏽‍♂️

I wouldn’t.

They are managing in a totally different game. A level which is far below national league level. 

2 hours ago, Riaz said:

🤦🏽‍♂️

I wouldn’t.

They are managing in a totally different game. A level which is far below national league level. 

I’m not saying it would be successful, in fact it might prove you exactly right. But I don’t think Pep Guardiola could get us out of this league with our current setup. Maybe we should let a random season ticket holder pick the team every week. Or let LJ do it over Skype.

35 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

Maybe we should let a random season ticket holder pick the team every week. 

That has sort of already been done. Ebbsfleet when they were owned by MyFC.com. The supporters so say were going to have some say in selection. Can't remember if it actually happened but the whole experiment didn't end well.

• Like 1