IGNORED

What's happened to Tommy Conway

Clutton Caveman

I know that Tommy prefers to play up front with a partner and holding the ball to bring others into the game is not his thing, but in recent games where he has found himself in some space one on one, his pace seems to be gone. Could be that he is afraid to pull the hammy again but with pace such a part of his game it is worrying to see the way he is playing at the moment.

9 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I know that Tommy prefers to play up front with a partner and holding the ball to bring others into the game is not his thing, but in recent games where he has found himself in some space one on one, his pace seems to be gone. Could be that he is afraid to pull the hammy again but with pace such a part of his game it is worrying to see the way he is playing at the moment.

To be fair, Sheff Weds CB's are VERY quick.

• Like 5

Just now, Selred said:

To be fair, Sheff Weds CB's are VERY quick.

Twice as strong as him as well. Think a lot of people forget Conway is an academy player still learning his trade. Has his good games but then goes missing for 3-5 as well. A striker is desperately needed either in Jan or the summer. Our attacking options are extremely poor. Can’t see any of Wells, Bell, Conway, Mehmeti, Weimann and Cornick getting double figures in the league. 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

10 minutes ago, Negan said:

Twice as strong as him as well. Think a lot of people forget Conway is an academy player still learning his trade. Has his good games but then goes missing for 3-5 as well. A striker is desperately needed either in Jan or the summer. Our attacking options are extremely poor. Can’t see any of Wells, Bell, Conway, Mehmeti, Weimann and Cornick getting double figures in the league. 

Rob Dickie on the other hand....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

Definitely in the first half, Tommy looked off the pace and as if he wasn't ready to be back out there yet. However there was a point where something seemed to click and he suddenly started making more decisive runs and movement. He may well have been carrying a subconscious fear into the game but the deeper into the game he got the better and more like himself he looked.

As a still young player he's going to have good and bad days, especially coming back from injury but I suspect bad days will become fewer and far between  

Probably didn’t help that the ref let one of their centre backs go right through him early on without even a word.

I actually thought he improved as the game went on, the shot that hit the post (& Sam Bell inexplicably missed the follow up) was really excellent play by him, sorted his feet out quickly & got a shot off early.

If you can’t beat your opponent for speed (he was never doing so for strength) it was exactly what you need to do.

He doesn’t worry me at all.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 3

His game relies on movement, little runs and through balls, ideally with a player in close proximity to allow him to benefit working as a tandem, our wide front 3 with him in the centre means that invariably he is acting as the hold up player or dropping deeper to get the ball. TC operates best in and around the penalty box.

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Probably didn’t help that the ref let one of their centre backs go right through him early on without even a word.

On the Grandstand touchline?

That was an appalling challenge - out of control, feet up, from behind. Not even a free kick.

Not sure Tommy got better though - he always struggles against quick physical defenders, needs to improve there. And failing to shoot into an open goal, with the opposition goalkeeper yards behind him, wasn't his finest hour. Can't help thinking he'd be better in a two but it's early days for him, we'll see.

He battled gamely but Cornick again looked sharper when replacing him, for me.  

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

That was an appalling challenge - out of control, feet up, from behind. Not even a free kick.

Not sure Tommy got better though - he always struggles against quick physical defenders, needs to improve there. And failing to shoot into an open goal, with the opposition goalkeeper yards behind you, wasn't his finest hour. Can't help thinking he'd be better in a two but it's early days for him, we'll see.

Yep.

I would never try to compare myself to TC but we’re similar in size & build & as you know, I played up front (at a standard about a million times lower).

I just thought he worked out what would be best for him & his first touch & layoff play improved, but only an opinion though, isn’t it?

Good to see you after the match, lovely to catch up & genuinely appreciate the support from all of you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Maybe a bit Robbie Turner/Super Bob old school for 2023, but quite like the idea of Cornick alongside Conway/Wells. Cornick’s not huge, but gives defenders an awkward time and think that’s a massive help to those around him. Chris Martin helping Semenyo thrive as another example. 

• Like 2

I actually thought he had a decent game Saturday against two very powerful CB's. When the ball was played into feet he held it up well and won fouls (when the ref had his eyes open) or laid off for teammates.

Definitely tired near the end but still produced that bit of magic on the edge of the area which Bell should have scored from after! 

I do think he needs somebody playing closer to him but not sure what the answer is with our current players. The obvious right now is Weimann playing as a '10' like a couple of seasons ago but then you need to lose one from James, Knight and TGH in the middle of midfield...

By all accounts Manning likes playing 3 at the back which could be the Conway answer (but then limits Sykes and no Tanner who was excellent defensively Saturday...)

Vyner        Dickie          Naismith

Sykes                                                     Pring

James

Knight              TGH

Weimann

Conway

16 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Not sure Tommy got better though - he always struggles against quick physical defenders, needs to improve there. And failing to shoot into an open goal, with the opposition goalkeeper yards behind him, wasn't his finest hour. Can't help thinking he'd be better in a two but it's early days for him, we'll see.

Doesnt look match fit to me. I think he was rushed back and with Wells getting injured has probably had a lot more game time than planned.  Its a very young age to be playing the amount of football he does. 

Edited by BS3_RED
  • Like 1

He's injured and playing out of position.

Whoever said Conway is like Shearer is off their head. Conway is not a Centre Forward , particularly not as a one.

He is a withdrawn striker, a number 10, needs one bloke ahead of him and also runners from midfield to link up with.

Play him there, he will get loads of goals and assists.

18 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

He's injured and playing out of position.

Whoever said Conway is like Shearer is off their head. Conway is not a Centre Forward , particularly not as a one.

He is a withdrawn striker, a number 10, needs one bloke ahead of him and also runners from midfield to link up with.

Play him there, he will get loads of goals and assists.

I did.

I said he’s like a young Shearer (at Southampton), both in terms of looks, physique, but also that bit of niggle about him, whilst being a good finisher.

I stand by it.

I didn’t say he’s as good as Shearer, I didn’t say he’ll be as good as Shearer, I just said he’s like “a young Shearer”.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Think our strikers are a bit powder puff against a physical backline one instance when the big centre back clattered sam Bell  he then got up and shookthd defenders hand .

There's not much the lad can do about it but Sam Bell just looks too nice. Absolutely asking for a bit of roughhouse treatment!

Mind you, he did well on one occasion - chasing a pass to the corner, he gave the centre back and good nudge before reaching the ball, buying himself time to control it properly in the process. That extra yard of pace, compared to Conway going for a ball in behind, made all the difference. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels