IGNORED

What's happened to Tommy Conway

Clutton Caveman

Just now, Super said:

Our lack of goals is proving to be a real issue now. 16 goals in 16 games is really poor. We have zero creativity in midfield.

I blame the manager, he’s had 2 sessions with them, what more does he want! 

In all seriousness though, it’s a massive concern and lack of goals  was my biggest worry when we sold Scott and didn’t replace him - not that he scored many goals as such, but his ability to get us up the pitch, beak the lines, create in the final third etc

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Super said:

Our lack of goals is proving to be a real issue now. 16 goals in 16 games is really poor. We have zero creativity in midfield.

Especially considering 4 (well 3 first half) of those came against Plymouth reserves largely thanks to a bizarre decision by their manager to rotate 7 of their squad. I think the powers that be were thinking on TC to get 20 goals this season for their claim of top 6 to be in any way realistic because the rest of the front line will struggle to get into double figures individually, in the league.

• Like 1

The simple answer is that you have to pass the ball to your striker. Tommy Conway currently has to go looking for the ball ⚽️. At present we fail to cross the ball into the penalty in a timely manner. Another factor is that Wells is injured when he is alongside Conway is more affective. Hopefully after the international break things will be different. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

The simple answer is that you have to pass the ball to your striker. Tommy Conway currently has to go looking for the ball ⚽️. At present we fail to cross the ball into the penalty in a timely manner. Another factor is that Wells is injured when he is alongside Conway is more affective. Hopefully after the international break things will be different. 

Exactly this. It’s not a case of Conway missing chances but simply not getting the chances to miss.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

It would've helped if he could stay onside for the few occasions we did pass to him yesterday.

• Like 1

Playing manager head coach in my head. I'd be curious to see him as a wide forward on the left, where he'd potentially find space to cut in on his right or arrive at the back post. I feel the left side is a weak link anyway.

This would allow Cornick to do his best work centrally, keeping the centre halfs busy. Sykes on the right.

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Ultimately, I don't see TC as a lone striker. He needs a counterfoil. 

I think you can be a lone striker with conways play style, if you have the right team around you. You don’t necessarily need a strike partner, but if you’re in a possession heavy team with chance creators in there it would work fine. Sadly we lack any cutting edge in the final 3rd. Nahki with his effort and experience, and his obvious skill set, works well up top on his own.

On 06/11/2023 at 13:53, cidercity1987 said:

He's injured and playing out of position.

Whoever said Conway is like Shearer is off their head. Conway is not a Centre Forward , particularly not as a one.

He is a withdrawn striker, a number 10, needs one bloke ahead of him and also runners from midfield to link up with.

Play him there, he will get loads of goals and assists.

On 06/11/2023 at 14:14, Spreadsheet Boy said:

I did.

I said he’s like a young Shearer (at Southampton), both in terms of looks, physique, but also that bit of niggle about him, whilst being a good finisher.

I stand by it.

I didn’t say he’s as good as Shearer, I didn’t say he’ll be as good as Shearer, I just said he’s like “a young Shearer”.

I'm off my head as well as I said it as well, for all the reasons that Dav @Spreadsheet Boy has said.

Really like Tommy, always have, he'll come good again.

11 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

We need to find a way to get Tommy and Nakhi together. Sykes/Pring as wing backs. 

Well the answer to that conundrum is to get Nakhi fit.  He (especially) and Williams  are both big misses for us at the moment.   I've said it before, but a front three of Wells, Bell and Conway would be a defenders nightmare.

Tommy conway is not a lone striker you don't need a uefa pro licence to see that. Hopefully manning now realises this and he can start getting the best out if him as he is just because totally wasted at the moment it's unfair on the lad. We don't have a striker at the club who can play that role.

• Like 1

I think our strike force is poor for where we want to be (or where Jon Lansdown expects us to be).

Conway has great potential and looks a natural finisher, but I think too much is being loaded onto him and seems to have been rushed back from injury.

Wells will be 35 when is contract runs out in 2025 and has scored twice all season with zero assits, and Weimann who is also into his 30s hasn't scored in 10 games this season, meanwhile Cornick has scored 3 in 27 appearances.

That leaves Bell and Yeboah - one out of form, the other very raw.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AG City said:

Conway has great potential and looks a natural finisher, but I think too much is being loaded onto him

Nail on the head. A Championship side should not be relying on 1x 21 year old to score their goals.

Tommy needs decent & consistent service from a capable midfield, plus a strike partner to support/match/bounce off. Things which are totally lacking right now. 

My son got a pic with him after the game on Saturday, and when reflecting on the game and also looking at the picture on the train home, it really struck me the heavy  'ask' on Tommy's young shoulders right now.

Personally I think it would be a crying shame if anybody begins to start questioning his performances, let's get behind him and start demanding what he requires, not what we require from him. Then we can start to judge his capabilities.

IMG-0270.jpg

• Like 5
  • Robin 2

7 minutes ago, kmpowell said:

Nail on the head. A Championship side should not be relying on 1x 21 year old to score their goals.

Tommy needs decent & consistent service from a capable midfield, plus a strike partner to support/match/bounce off. Things which are totally lacking right now. 

My son got a pic with him after the game on Saturday, and when reflecting on the game and also looking at the picture on the train home, it really struck me the heavy  'ask' on Tommy's young shoulders right now.

Personally I think it would be a crying shame if anybody begins to start questioning his performances, let's get behind him and start demanding what he requires, not what we require from him. Then we can start to judge his capabilities.

IMG-0270.jpg

Agree with some of it, he's really got some talent and agree no1 should be on his back and he will come good I truly believe.

The age thing I dont agree with, for me 21 is old enough in football to have responsibility ( tammy was younger and took it in his stride) strikers know their role in a team as do every other position on the pitch. 

But yeah once he gets a goal I think his season will take a massive upturn 

Up the city 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

On 12/11/2023 at 12:41, bcfcape91 said:

Playing manager head coach in my head. I'd be curious to see him as a wide forward on the left, where he'd potentially find space to cut in on his right or arrive at the back post. I feel the left side is a weak link anyway.

This would allow Cornick to do his best work centrally, keeping the centre halfs busy. Sykes on the right.

I’ve watched him play there for the under 23s a couple of season ago and was very good. We don’t have a consistent left winter so could easily see that working 

2 hours ago, kmpowell said:

IMG-0270.jpg

I was thinking that, give him some support on social media, he’s probably feeling a bit low