IGNORED

What's happened to Tommy Conway

Clutton Caveman

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Yep.

I would never try to compare myself to TC but we’re similar in size & build & as you know, I played up front (at a standard about a million times lower).

I just thought he worked out what would be best for him & his first touch & layoff play improved, but only an opinion though, isn’t it?

Good to see you after the match, lovely to catch up & genuinely appreciate the support from all of you.

You "knew where the goal" was, Graham, let's have it right. You knew this because you were always hanging around, where the goal was (which never moved)

• Thanks 1

He could probably do with some gym work on the weights, to improve his upper body strength?   However he is just back from injury, and scored two outstanding goals at Rotherham.  A new coach will be good for him hopefully?  I can see Tommy kicking on in the second half of the season, as long as he plays in a 2...............and NOT as a lone striker.

13 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

You "knew where the goal" was, Graham, let's have it right. You knew this because you were always hanging around, where the goal was (which never moved)

TBf there was that time at Troopers Hill, or some such godforsaken place, and we only had 10, it was blowing a gale, backs to the wall etc.

He "tracked back" that day. 

Tbf.

Anyway, you didn't get anything out of Scott Murray this morning, I hear? Or could you just not understand a word he said?

You said "good morning" - he said "liam manning" - but you didn't hear right?  

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

TBf there was that time at Troopers Hill, or some such godforsaken place, and we only had 10, it was blowing a gale, backs to the wall etc.

He "tracked back" that day. 

Tbf.

Anyway, you didn't get anything out of Scott Murray this morning, I hear? Or could you just not understand a word he said?

You said "good morning" - he said "liam manning" - but you didn't hear right?  

I cannot reveal my source, my albeit unforthcoming source. I wouldn’t want to lose the confidence of a source, even a tight-lipped one.

Difficult place to go, Troopers Hill, tbf, so fair play GrahamC. I only jest, of course. 

2 hours ago, hinsleburg said:

By all accounts Manning likes playing 3 at the back which could be the Conway answer (but then limits Sykes and no Tanner who was excellent defensively Saturday...)

Yeah, let's go back to three CBs. We all remember how well that worked for us, right? Plus we have tons of cover at CB, so no worries there.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I did.

I said he’s like a young Shearer (at Southampton), both in terms of looks, physique, but also that bit of niggle about him, whilst being a good finisher.

I stand by it.

I didn’t say he’s as good as Shearer, I didn’t say he’ll be as good as Shearer, I just said he’s like “a young Shearer”.

I would say that’s a good comparison actually. He does seem to of last a yard of pace since coming back, hopefully that will come back. I also think he’s missed Wells  up top with him. Think the whole team misses Wells when he’s not available actually. COYR 

On 06/11/2023 at 14:14, Spreadsheet Boy said:

I did.

I said he’s like a young Shearer (at Southampton), both in terms of looks, physique, but also that bit of niggle about him, whilst being a good finisher.

I stand by it.

I didn’t say he’s as good as Shearer, I didn’t say he’ll be as good as Shearer, I just said he’s like “a young Shearer”.

Well Il say I totally disagree Dave.

Another nothing performance from Tommy playing in his wrong position

I was hoping he would stay on to drop back behind Cornick but it wasn't to be

15 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Got zero service.  What’s be meant to do?

Whats his position?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

As said previously maybe like Shearer he’s not cut out as a stand alone player. 

To say what’s wrong with Tommy is jumping the gun a bit, no one’s exactly playing brilliantly at the moment. 

15 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Needs to be in a front two with Wells, that's where he was at his best, he can't play the lone role

As heard in an interview he enjoys playing with Wells. Today in particular would have been a good day for the Conway/ Wells partnership. Hopefully Nahki is back soon.

Edited by E.G.Red
  • Like 1

Disappointed it doesn’t look like he can play the lone striker role which a lot of smaller players have found ways to do over the years. He is young but not young enough to not being able to compete from a strength standpoint. 

The things he is good at, we have not played in a way to get those good things out of him. Not sure there is a fix. He could play off the left but wasting him to an extent and he’d probably have similar problems to Bell in that he can’t really go past anyone 1v1. Most teams don’t really set up with two strikers unless with a 3 at the back. He could play behind Wells but then still missing a central creator. It is entirely possible that he isn’t quite the player we thought he was going to be.

Not that he is awful or can’t turn this around. We have seen players develop at different rates. Just we needed a big season from him and he hasn’t been able to deliver so far. 

52 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

A 10 , dropping off a 9 , linking play with midfield runners and wide men. Not stuck up front as a one totally isolated, looks like a little boy lost up there 

So you mean not playing alone basically, but playing as a pair where he can do a bit of both….because he has shown he has a good all round game.

I wouldn’t disagree.

The way we play a front three is not to my liking at all.  A lopsided front three like when Semenyo played Left-inside-forward was very different, as was TC and NW together.

• Like 1

Last two games has made it even clearer to me he’s heading straight for the nest egg, full steam ahead. His goals are drying up, the “saviour” arc & buzz that he had after Rotherham hasn’t continued at all, and he’s hardly impacting games. Certainly can’t do it solo anyway. 

Had interest in the summer, and those conversations are probably on a simmer ever since, and Alex going will only be turning his head more. Be truly amazed if he’s here this time next year, and wouldn’t even rule January out. 

• Like 1