IGNORED

Gary Johnson ands Steve Coterill

BS3_RED

Just now, Randy Marsh II said:

But then I also didn't want Lee Johnson, Dean Holden, McWinless or Brian Tinnion. 

I did want GJ though at the time. 

Fair enough, but would you not say Manning already has a more accomplished CV than all of those at the time of their appointment?

• Like 3

Just now, Ron W said:

Fair enough, but would you not say Manning already has a more accomplished CV than all of those at the time of their appointment?

I think my point was it's more luck than judgement really in these appointments. Two only out of god knows how many have paid off. 

But to your point yes definitely, except McWinless. He had taken St Johnstone to the top league and did well there with them. 

14 minutes ago, Ron W said:

When you look at it that way, what about Cott’s record in our double winning season?  Didn’t transfer to the Championship very well did it, though admittedly like Nige, he was hung out to dry by Guernsey.

Wishing LM all the best, but imho, it’s a hell of a punt and I really hope his skills at League 1 level are transferable to the Championship.  It proved too much for Cott’s so let’s hope LM has a bit more in the tank🤞

• Like 1

I wanted both of Johnson and Coterill

I didn’t want L Johnson Holden Millen Tinion McInness or SoD

Delighted at Pearson 

No I didn’t want this bloke as, as with the overwhelming majority thought  Pearson was still the best placed bloke for an injury hit squad moving forward

This fella is on a hiding to nothing!

The decision had been made that Pearson would not get a new contract which is obvious. Pearson wanted to know so he could get his op done and forced the issue . All that is blazing my obvious. 

So no we go back down the LJ McInness Holden road with a track suit guy that has no experience managing in this division  

What was that about the definition of madness?

I wish the fella well of course as I am the net beneficiary of his success but fear he is just the new model of the old failed way!

Has this bloke got anymore experience of spending “nest eggs” than McIness LJ et al  of course not!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Flames 7

I'm underwhelmed.

Best of luck to Liam. Poisoned chalice though isn't it.

I'm expecting a top 6 finish.

I'm also expecting him to do this with no new players, as our squad is good enough.

I'm also expecting him to be fired before his 3.5 year contract is over.

And all of that is football under the Lansdowns.

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, DaveInSA said:

I'm underwhelmed.

Best of luck to Liam. Poisoned chalice though isn't it.

I'm expecting a top 6 finish.

I'm also expecting him to do this with no new players, as our squad is good enough.

I'm also expecting him to be fired before his 3.5 year contract is over.

And all of that is football under the Lansdowns.

As above!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

Neither were wanted and neither were deemed good enough but both gave us our best seasons since the 70's. Steve Coppell, Tony Pullis, SOD great record and yet fecked us up.

Give up with this underwhelmed crap i keep seeing posted ffs. 

Liam Manning Welcome to the club.

GJ and SC weren’t fan fares I will give you that, but both took over from managers who had to go and had promotion experience on their CVs.

I've seen a lot of this narrative about Gary Johnson on here recently, and my memory must be completely wrong as I remember him being a very popular appointment. The Brentford game after he was announced, but before he'd taken full charge, already had people singing his name.

Fair play, he had became slightly less popular after losing 10 of his first 13 games..

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

The whole "Gary Johnson wasn't wanted" seems to be people re-writing history for their own arguments, or people who are simply too young to remember him being appointed - he was a very highly rated manager when we appointed him. Sure, discontent grew a few months after he took over during the 9 match losing streak, but i don't remember people being disappointed when he first arrived.....particularly as anyone was better than Tinnion back then!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

When you look at it that way, what about Cott’s record in our double winning season?  Didn’t transfer to the Championship very well did it, though admittedly like Nige, he was hung out to dry by Guernsey.

Wishing LM all the best, but imho, it’s a hell of a punt and I really hope his skills at League 1 level are transferable to the Championship.  It proved too much for Cott’s so let’s hope LM has a bit more in the tank🤞

It didn’t transfer well that’s for sure, as you said though he was hung out to dry, we’ll never know how it would’ve gone if instead he’d been backed in the way LJ was. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ashtongreight said:

It didn’t transfer well that’s for sure, as you said though he was hung out to dry, we’ll never know how it would’ve gone if instead he’d been backed in the way LJ was. 

Absolutely and I’m sure we’ll still be speculating the same thing about Nige in years to come.

This club (owner) makes you want to tear your hair out at times 😡

1 hour ago, BS3_RED said:

Neither were wanted and neither were deemed good enough but both gave us our best seasons since the 70's. Steve Coppell, Tony Pullis, SOD great record and yet fecked us up.

Give up with this underwhelmed crap i keep seeing posted ffs. 

Liam Manning Welcome to the club.

Er, I wanted both GJ and Cotts.

• Like 1

That is insane. Both GJ and SC were wanted. I was excited by both appointments, but I am not excited about LJ Mk2. He is a perfect fit for JL but not the right person for the club in my view. Lets hope I am wrong. 

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The difference is they were managers in the traditional sense. 

Isn't it telling that we never have success with Head Coaches? 

Agreed. 

33 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I've seen a lot of this narrative about Gary Johnson on here recently, and my memory must be completely wrong as I remember him being a very popular appointment. The Brentford game after he was announced, but before he'd taken full charge, already had people singing his name.

Fair play, he had became slightly less popular after losing 10 of his first 13 games..

There were shirts "Johnson's, no more tears" at his first home game if I remember rightly.

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

You’re right.

A certain person very prominent on a podcast was extremely vocal on here that we should sack him after only about 9 games in.

He might pretend he didn’t say that but he definitely did.

That opinion turned out well, eh?

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You’re right.

A certain person very prominent on a podcast was extremely vocal on here that we should sack him after only about 9 games in.

He might pretend he didn’t say that but he definitely did.

That opinion turned out well, eh?

It's preserved for posterity in the Classics section of the forum.

He got very upset when he was reminded of it a couple of years later.

• Haha 1

Yes of coarse I’d like Manning to be successful, but history shows our club underspends on managers, and that’s reflected in the sheer number of mediocre managers we’ve had - you would think money men would have grasped by now - this is the one position you pay top dollar, cheap doesn’t get success. 

Only once in 30 years have we paid the going rate for a top level manager - and just as he was turning the club around they sacked him, essentially because he hurt there feelings - just wierd.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

I’m discussed with the club, it appears inadequate corporate governance, but worse than that crass behaviour - everything we might have thought was wrong with other clubs, and suddenly there we are, our owners dig a new low! - they must know how they have behaved is discussing?

Edited by BarneyCity

Just on the thread title.

I remember some doubts and scepticism about Cotts- fears of a long ball and attritional football type scenario.

Was anything but! Brilliant to watch, a double albeit the Lower division double but a Double all the same.

In respect of GJ, I remember a certain amount of optimism in respect of his appointment. His work at Yeovil was clearly impressive, he had quite an adventurous style of play with them and some good Cup runs too.

Both were very good appointments. NP another.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1