IGNORED

An outsiders views on Bristol City’s strategies , and the appointment of Liam Manning

Sheltons Army

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think where my concerns lay is that he did well at MK, after taken on the team that Russell Martin built. Credit to him for getting to the play offs but they did lose to Wycombe. 

The next season, when able to make his own stamp on the team, he built a team that ended up getting relegated. It would be nieve to think he had no input to the recruitment process. 

Here he will also lose his best players over the course of his time here. Our recruitment has been good here recently so hopefully that will continue.

I can see why he has left Oxford but I can also see how Oxford fans feel a bit sour leaving after only 7 months and having recieved significant funds to build the squad he wanted.

Depends how you want to frame it. The flip side is he went into MK with no pre-season with none of his own players and he put his stamp on it and got them playing dominant, winning football straight away. Will never know how Martin would have done but suspect his team would have been all fart and no poo as his sides always are. 

Do get why you might have reservations about the season that followed. Not sure how much involvement he had in the recruitment. I do think clubs like MK and Oxford are up against it though. They suffer from often doing a lot right in terms of recruitment and the reward for that is being pillaged if you don't make the most of having a decent team together for one season. Only so many times you can be spot on with your recruitment and picking up the right loans. Plymouth would have been victims of that had they not got promoted last season as well. 

6 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

One of my favourite days ever, getting that ****** out of our club!

Beat me to it. I remember being stood in the top tier of that old stand at Griffin Park, I think it was Boxing Day, chanting “Pulis for Portsmouth”. I hope we hound the current ******* out of our club in the near future, too. 

3 hours ago, Ian M said:

Is he definitely disinterested or just didn't like Pearson and knew he'd likely not renew his contract?

It could be that with a HC that he likes, he might loosen the purse strings slightly again, though hopefully not to LJ/MA levels.

With my theory it's akin to knowing your relationship is not likely to last much longer so not spending a huge amount on them even though you can afford it. It doesn't mean you then won't spend on your next partner.

Very true. It’s hard to know the root cause of his detachment and whether that’s now gone. But you can guarantee if we have a successful season he’ll be in the centre circle at the end of it.

Personally I think he has owner’s fatigue.

What concerns me most - even more than purse strings - is direction comes from the top, if SL doesn’t come back from the fray, then it’s down to Tinnion and Jon who I have zero trust and faith in. 

People speak of Pearson steadying the ship and now we can kick on; I think there was still more work to do before we were to go it with a promising coach. But if he was - as it turned out - available now, and foreseeably not in 9 months time, I can see why we gambled… I don’t think it’s the right bet at all (in these current circumstances), but hopefully hindsight proves me wrong. 

Edited by 38MC
  • Like 1