IGNORED

The Bus is Back in the Car Park

Port Said Red

Just now, Cristored said:

You’re over estimating the love for Pearson, vast majority think harshly treated but move on. If you think the majority of fans will be thinking of NP in6 months then you’re deluded no offence.

It's not so much love for NP if we are being indifferent about it, it's more if we want to go down that road, a feeling that a replacement has been brought in, needlessly without tangible gain or perhaps even worse off.

As for Manning the way he will win fans over is to win games. Win games..that is broadly speaking how he will get everyone or most on board.

• Like 3

Nige has left us in a far better place than he found us. We have a squad with the right ATTITUDE and that can only help Manning. He doesn’t have to root out players hiding in the bogs up at the HPC or lads that can’t get out of bed in the morning. If Liam Manning wanted to go to a club in half decent shape, that needs a few quid investing in the squad and put his stamp on it then he’s made a pretty good choice tbf.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think the difference maker for Manning will be whether we see tactical, style and performance uplift, assuming the graft and running remain.

Kind of what I meant by “performance”. If it’s more entertaining football and the results are on a par with Nige and there is continued signs of upward trajectory then I’ll be content. But I will still retain issues with the board as that isn’t the remit he’s come in with. 

@italian dave I do get the point, however the nature of the game is to compare what is with what went before. As John Ward didn’t start with a poor squad so took Joe Jordan’s players up, as Sean O’Driscoll was left with a mess by McInnes so expectations were different so it is that Manning has been left with a very good base by Nige. On that basis it’s pretty unrealistic to judge him just on his own merits - he has to be better than what went before. And again, the circumstance isn’t his fault.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

And I might have added to my reply that NP didn't just bin people off. There are plenty of examples of his man management skills where someone was out of favour for a while while issues were addressed and came back to do very well - Atkinson, Wells, to name but two.

And look at what happened to Zac Vyner under NP. A lot of us would have thought he was heading for the door, but NP clearly backed him, encouraged and turned things around massively. Just look at him now!

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

That depends on where we are in 6 months time. 

Exactly Major.

There is an argument that Manning needs to maintain the baseline bare minimum, perhaps even push on a bit subject to injuries and transfer activity.

If he doesn't, perhaps fans will be querying the change and further faith lost in the hierarchy especially.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

I’d also not totally rule out that those being ignored were club (I.e Tinnion) decisions, not just manager. Maybe a combination of the two of them. 

Typically on a similar page to you PH as you talk a lot of sense. Not on this one though. Anyone out of the squad for whatever reason I’m sure, would be Pearson’s choice only. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Can't help feeling the addition of 17 year olds(that hadn't even played for the under 21s) on the bench for a number of games instead of players like Francois, OTC, Leeson etc was some sort of NP's  hostile message to the board about lack of players.

Certainly it would have annoyed Tinnion (in my view) that players from the Under 21s weren't getting a look in and NP was using the under 18s to make a point.

Was always going to be one winner there and it wasn't NP.

Re annoying Tinnion. 
For me I’d always take Pearsons decisions rather than Tinnion. 
Let’s face it he played consistently at a higher level, has huge experience of managing several clubs and numerous players ( including internationals) over many years, rather than managing for just a few months like Tinnion and unfortunately failing dramatically.

Pearson developed academy players and sold them for millions and integrated many academy players into the 1st team squad so surely his achievements associated to the academy and selection of young players are beyond criticism. 
Incredible that perhaps annoying Tinnion (and goodness knows how he managed to get the job of Technical Director) might have contributed to Pearson losing his job. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

3 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Nail squarely whacked on head!

We’ve been crying out for years for the passengers and wasters at this club to be kicked out.  We then get someone come in and attack the problem head-on and immediately the team spirit and workrate improves massively.

Amazing how this can then be turned round by someone as a criticism of Nige.  If a player wasn’t on the bench, even when there was a place available, you can bet they didn’t deserve to be there at that time.

I am not talking about when he first came here, of course comparatively experienced and well compensated players needed to be shown the door. I am talking about kids recently who surely would have benefitted more from an arm around them and a discussion about how to get back in the frame. Who benefits from picking two goalkeepers on the bench? Not even the goalkeepers surely?

The use of the youngsters recently has been scattergun at best, I don't see any benefit to anyone to the way they have been handled, not the kids, the Academy staff who have to pick up the pieces and not to the team.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Kind of what I meant by “performance”. If it’s more entertaining football and the results are on a par with Nige and there is continued signs of upward trajectory then I’ll be content. But I will still retain issues with the board as that isn’t the remit he’s come in with. 

@italian dave I do get the point, however the nature of the game is to compare what is with what went before. As John Ward didn’t start with a poor squad so took Joe Jordan’s players up, as Sean O’Driscoll was left with a mess by McInnes so expectations were different so it is that Manning has been left with a very good base by Nige. On that basis it’s pretty unrealistic to judge him just on his own merits - he has to be better than what went before. And again, the circumstance isn’t his fault.

And, likewise, get what you're saying SD. Certainly agree that Manning is in the fortunate position that he's taking over a sound base. That's probably an unusual situation for a new manager coming into any club. There's no crisis - apart, ironically, from the one that some on here are creating!

And, yes, of course you'd expect him, like any manager, to take the club forward - and there's more than one measure of that (eg performance) but clearly league position is the big one! But I'd still maintain that, given the starting point, he should still be judged on his own merits from here on in. Constantly harking back to what 'Nige' did isn't going to help. And conjecture about what NP might have done is going to be nothing more than that - conjecture.

A win on Saturday would be a good start though!!

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Nige has left us in a far better place than he found us. We have a squad with the right ATTITUDE and that can only help Manning. He doesn’t have to root out players hiding in the bogs up at the HPC or lads that can’t get out of bed in the morning. If Liam Manning wanted to go to a club in half decent shape, that needs a few quid investing in the squad and put his stamp on it then he’s made a pretty good choice tbf.

From yesterday:

image.thumb.png.93a6480424b2bf01f0da76db16fc0e22.png

• Like 4

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Nige always gave players another chance. If they applied themselves well etc then they could get back into the reckoning. 

We all know a lot about Mannings tactical and coaching abilities. 

What I haven't really come across much is his man management ability? Anyone have any information?

Yes. He's quite good.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If I'm objective I expect a lot of Academy players aren't ready yet, perhaps excessively fast tracked and NP was picking his squad accordingly.

Yeboah is clearly one who could be, the rest..hard to say.

Didn't quite get that.

Are you suggesting that NP had to play Academy players because they were being fast tracked by someone else and it wasn't his choice? 

Just asking for clarification please.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I am not talking about when he first came here, of course comparatively experienced and well compensated players needed to be shown the door. I am talking about kids recently who surely would have benefitted more from an arm around them and a discussion about how to get back in the frame. Who benefits from picking two goalkeepers on the bench? Not even the goalkeepers surely?

The use of the youngsters recently has been scattergun at best, I don't see any benefit to anyone to the way they have been handled, not the kids, the Academy staff who have to pick up the pieces and not to the team.

Fair enough.  I’ve got absolutely no insider knowledge of the club, but all I’ve heard is what a good man manager Nige is.  

The way I’ve looked at it is, maybe certain young players have got a little above themselves when they made the first team squad and needed a bit of a wake up call.  I’d much rather that than have a manager who tries to be mates with everyone, as you’ll always get some who’ll then take liberties.

In addition to the above, he also seems the sort of bloke who would avoid destroying the confidence of a young player who he felt wasn’t ready yet.

Tbh, some of Nige’s substitutions and team selections could be puzzling, but I certainly appreciated the fact that whover was picked appeared to play with pride and for the shirt and his team mates.  There would be no place for a Lee Tomlin type character in one of his sides and we were all the better for that.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Cristored said:

Pearson proved that he is at a point where going upstairs would be the best place for him - dis d great behind the scenes but not on the pitch .

Hi. New around here, aren’t you? Welcome (though you may find that some people are suspicious about your motives and background. Can’t imagine why.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Fair enough.  I’ve got absolutely no insider knowledge of the club, but all I’ve heard is what a good man manager Nige is.  

The way I’ve looked at it is, maybe certain young players have got a little above themselves when they made the first team squad and needed a bit of a wake up call.  I’d much rather that than have a manager who tries to be mates with everyone, as you’ll always get some who’ll then take liberties.

In addition to the above, he also seems the sort of bloke who would avoid destroying the confidence of a young player who he felt wasn’t ready yet.

Tbh, some of Nige’s substitutions and team selections could be puzzling, but I certainly appreciated the fact that whover was picked appeared to play with pride and for the shirt and his team mates.  There would be no place for a Lee Tomlin type character in one of his sides and we were all the better for that.

Absolutely  but only towards the end of his reign. There were plenty of threads which stated that virtually none of the players were fit to wear the shirt- it took NP almost 2 years to sort this out but sort it out he did. It just didn't translate into a consistently good team

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

In league one maybe. 

In the Championship, we will soon find out.

Sorry? You asked a question and I gave you an answer which you didn't like.

Is it possible that you have an agenda?

So if I had replied and said 'yes- a good man manager but only in L1'- would that have been ok?

So- yes LM is seen to be a good man manager in New York, Belgium, Under 23's and L1 BUT not anywhere else/ any other level that he hasn't yet managed in.

You’re over estimating the love for Pearson, vast majority think harshly treated but move on. If you think the majority of fans will be thinking of NP in6 months then you’re deluded no offence.

No offence back, but I think you’re deluded.

Look at how revered Steve Cotterill is here - 4 managers later. We still speak about how this current regime didn’t back him. 

Granted SC won trophies, but he’s respected for getting us out the …., just as Nigel is. And just as Nigel, Jason, Curtis and Dave will be in years to come. 

Christ some even still post that O’Driscoll who got us relegated and scrambling in League One set up a platform… so, no, you’re 100% deluded if you think he’ll be forgotten 

Edited by 38MC
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Absolutely  but only towards the end of his reign. There were plenty of threads which stated that virtually none of the players were fit to wear the shirt- it took NP almost 2 years to sort this out but sort it out he did. It just didn't translate into a consistently good team

Sorry? You asked a question and I gave you an answer which you didn't like.

Is it possible that you have an agenda?

So if I had replied and said 'yes- a good man manager but only in L1'- would that have been ok?

So- yes LM is seen to be a good man manager in New York, Belgium, Under 23's and L1 BUT not anywhere else/ any other level that he hasn't yet managed in.

Please don't patronise me by calling my genuine concerns an agenda. 

We have just appointed an inexperienced head coach that has not managed in this division. You may not be concerned by that, but I am. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

If this all goes tits up Jon, we'll all be calling for Pearson to return and you'll be so desperate you'll crawl over the Somerset levels to bring him back here. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

Can’t he just be judged by what he does, and by what he achieves - not by constant comparison with his predecessor?

Two different people, different personalities, different styles, different circumstances. 

That’s a bit of a rhetorical question, because I know the answer! But it’s not going to be helpful.

But in those terms, there’s another area where he could get credit. The comments I heard from fans on Saturday included several who weren’t that surprised by or sorry about NPs departure because they haven’t enjoyed the football served up at Ashton Gate over the past couple of years. 

Exactly.

If people want to be obsessive re NP, carry on, you'll be in the vast minority.

The vast majority of people won't be comparing what NP did and how LM compares imo.

And rightly so.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

25 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Hi. New around here, aren’t you? Welcome (though you may find that some people are suspicious about your motives and background. Can’t imagine why.)

Joined on Saturday “Red” in the username, as someone said to me on Saturday night, definitely a clear Bristol Sport employee.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Exactly.

If people want to be obsessive re NP, carry on, you'll be in the vast minority.

The vast majority of people won't be comparing what NP did and how LM compares imo.

And rightly so.

With such an unexpected change, it's hard to say isn't it.

If it proves to be a change for the worse, taking personalities out of it a natural reaction will be to critique the change...

There will be an element of NP did this, LM has stalled or taken us backward.

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

And, likewise, get what you're saying SD. Certainly agree that Manning is in the fortunate position that he's taking over a sound base. That's probably an unusual situation for a new manager coming into any club. There's no crisis - apart, ironically, from the one that some on here are creating!

And, yes, of course you'd expect him, like any manager, to take the club forward - and there's more than one measure of that (eg performance) but clearly league position is the big one! But I'd still maintain that, given the starting point, he should still be judged on his own merits from here on in. Constantly harking back to what 'Nige' did isn't going to help. And conjecture about what NP might have done is going to be nothing more than that - conjecture.

A win on Saturday would be a good start though!!

Agree with a lot of that - I certainly think it’ll help nobody if every game we get a WWND comment. The “potential” future Nige would have given us is irrelevant now.

For me, the merits have to be that LM improves on where Nige was as opposed to where he may or may not have been going. By anybody’s money, that’s either an improvement in the squad playing style/trajectory (even if no improvement in results) or an improvement in points. I think that is really judging him on his own merits as we know where this squad were based on alternate management so, rightly or wrongly, he has to be better than that.

And I’ll again say until I’m blue in the face, that isn’t his fault. It’s how Lansdown and Tinnion have handled it. Had they positioned it as “Nige stabilised the club, we now need to look at the next long term appointment” etc as opposed to the bulk of “should be doing better with this squad” then the expectation on Liam wouldn’t be anywhere near as much. As it stands he’s been appointed that his merits are he could get more out of the squad than was being got out, so judging him on that is totally fair.

Make no mistake though - a win on Saturday would definitely help, and if he fails on those metrics, unless it’s cataclysmic, I won’t be calling for his head - I’ll be calling for those above him.

• Flames 3

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Joined on Saturday “Red” in the username, as someone said to me on Saturday night, definitely a clear Bristol Sport employee.

I’m not exactly a frequent poster, though I have been much more active than usual during this extraordinary period. Nor am I anybody’s idea of a conspiracy theorist, but I’ve never seen so many members in such a short space of time - and nearly all of them with a similar agenda. It would make the most trusting individual sceptical.

if I have unjustly implied that any one person is guilty of something they’re not, I’ll be the first to apologise. But really? You’d have to be off the scale naive to think this is mere coincidence. It’s also another devious but hopelessly transparent attempt to manipulate supporter opinion and an insult to people’s intelligence.

It’s so ham fisted and self defeating. If’ it’s meant to swing opinion in favour of the ownership, it’s yet another bungled initiative and a classic own goal. Every time one of these posts appears it says to members that they’re taken for fools and makes even the most open minded fan angry and suspicious. 

I can’t imagine who within the club hierarchy would be so dim witted as to orchestrate this or think this could possibly help their cause. 

Oh, just a minute…

Edited by CliftonCliff
  • Like 1
  • Flames 2

20 minutes ago, 38MC said:

Jason, Curtis and Dave

I highly doubt it. They'll be forgotten within a couple of years and pretty much forever beyond a quiz question. As for Jason- he was here for 16 months and I really struggle to understand what he did to be the subject of years of being talked about? Dave had more injuries than an A&E ward so not quite sure how this works?

18 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Please don't patronise me by calling my genuine concerns an agenda. 

We have just appointed an inexperienced head coach that has not managed in this division. You may not be concerned by that, but I am. 

16 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If this all goes tits up Jon, we'll all be calling for Pearson to return and you'll be so desperate you'll crawl over the Somerset levels to bring him back here. 

Hahaha!  You just keep digging  yourself a deeper and deeper hole! 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I highly doubt it. They'll be forgotten within a couple of years and pretty much forever beyond a quiz question. As for Jason- he was here for 16 months and I really struggle to understand what he did to be the subject of years of being talked about? Dave had more injuries than an A&E ward so not quite sure how this works?

Hahaha!  You just keep digging  yourself a deeper and deeper hole! 

I really don't know what your issue is with fans having different opinions to your own. It's very bizarre and rather concerning.

5 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

You’ll have to do much better to land this fish - let’s get Andy Rolls back eh ? 🤣