IGNORED

The Bus is Back in the Car Park

Port Said Red

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

And I’ll again say until I’m blue in the face, that isn’t his fault. It’s how Lansdown and Tinnion have handled it. Had they positioned it as “Nige stabilised the club, we now need to look at the next long term appointment” etc as opposed to the bulk of “should be doing better with this squad” then the expectation on Liam wouldn’t be anywhere near as much. As it stands he’s been appointed that his merits are he could get more out of the squad than was being got out, so judging him on that is totally fair.

This, 1000x this. 

If handled correctly it didn't need to be like this, it was totally bungled they could have just moved them all on with a massive thankyou but we have decided to take a different route and then once you've brought in Manning you can clarify a bit further that we saw an opportunity to get a coach that we thought was the man to take us forward and even though the timining may seem a bit strange that why we made the move. 

Still would have been a difficult one to swallow but I think it would have alleviated most of the anger towards them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Spud21 said:

This, 1000x this. 

If handled correctly it didn't need to be like this, it was totally bungled they could have just moved them all on with a massive thankyou but we have decided to take a different route and then once you've brought in Manning you can clarify a bit further that we saw an opportunity to get a coach that we thought was the man to take us forward and even though the timining may seem a bit strange that why we made the move. 

Still would have been a difficult one to swallow but I think it would have alleviated most of the anger towards them. 

Totally agree. West Ham are in a similar predicament with David Moyes - contract up at the end of the season, realistically not going to renew, but I dare say they’ll manage it a lot better. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I really don't know what your issue is with fans having different opinions to your own. It's very bizarre and rather concerning.

I really don't know what your issue is with fans having different opinions to your own. It's very bizarre and rather concerning.

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Agree with a lot of that - I certainly think it’ll help nobody if every game we get a WWND comment. The “potential” future Nige would have given us is irrelevant now.

For me, the merits have to be that LM improves on where Nige was as opposed to where he may or may not have been going. By anybody’s money, that’s either an improvement in the squad playing style/trajectory (even if no improvement in results) or an improvement in points. I think that is really judging him on his own merits as we know where this squad were based on alternate management so, rightly or wrongly, he has to be better than that.

And I’ll again say until I’m blue in the face, that isn’t his fault. It’s how Lansdown and Tinnion have handled it. Had they positioned it as “Nige stabilised the club, we now need to look at the next long term appointment” etc as opposed to the bulk of “should be doing better with this squad” then the expectation on Liam wouldn’t be anywhere near as much. As it stands he’s been appointed that his merits are he could get more out of the squad than was being got out, so judging him on that is totally fair.

Make no mistake though - a win on Saturday would definitely help, and if he fails on those metrics, unless it’s cataclysmic, I won’t be calling for his head - I’ll be calling for those above him.

Spot on!

(what’s WWND?)

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

With such an unexpected change, it's hard to say isn't it.

If it proves to be a change for the worse, taking personalities out of it a natural reaction will be to critique the change...

There will be an element of NP did this, LM has stalled or taken us backward.

For me, I was really angered by the way NP was treated, but as discussed down the pub earlier, we really don't know who did what or who said what. I just didn't like how what he's achieved wasn't acknowledged. And I didn't like that they all had to go. Brutal.

I understand the comparison of league position, performances etc, but the way some are obsessing over NP on here is a bit weird (just saw one post saying " I miss Fleming" wtf is that about) ? 

The Robins uncut vid is revealing in some ways.

• Like 1

I do love the way that none of the (many) Pearson blow hards on here can’t possibly fathom that maybe despite doing a DECENT job under challenging (not impossible) circumstances there is no chance whatsoever that he could also have possibly been abit of an arse to work with and maybe a little too reactive to perceived slights or challenges to his majesty. Basically my way or the high way and I’m afraid if you don’t own the club it’s probably going to be not your way.

Also a little louder for those at the back, THE FOOTBALL HAS BEEN CRAP. THIS TEAM CAN DO BETTER. Will they? Time will tell but I’d rather watch something new now then watch city try and squeeze out another turgid, rock hard shite of a goal.

also I don’t see it talked about enough but the swing in popular opinion on tinns has been also wildly out of proportion and pretty gross

Edited by Fjmcity
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Fjmcity said:

I do love the way that none of the (many) Pearson blow hards on here can’t possibly fathom that maybe despite doing a DECENT job under challenging (not impossible) circumstances there is no chance whatsoever that he could also have possibly been abit of an arse to work with and maybe a little too reactive to perceived slights or challenges to his majesty. Basically my way or the high way and I’m afraid if you don’t own the club it’s probably going to be not your way.

while I’ve got a platform. THE FOOTBALL HAS BEEN CRAP. THIS TEAM CAN DO BETTER. Will they? Time will tell but I’d rather watch something new now then watch city try and squeeze out another turgid, rock hard shite of a goal.

also I don’t see it talked about enough but the swing in popular opinion on tinns has been also wildly out of proportion and pretty gross

Bang on right.

Trouble is that some very regular and seemingly influential posters  have appeared to basically bet their reputation on Nige and are really very desperate to protect their position after it all inevitably fell apart. They'll never forgive this and without doubt will state with authority if LM does well that it's all because  of NP and if he fails it was because it wasn't NP.

I sort of sympathise with them when some are setting themselves up as semi professional commentators who have basically been so polarised about NP being pretty much the  best manager that we could/ have/will ever have.

He did a good job, won nothing, got sacked , got replaced and we move on to someone who we'll also move on from one way or another but hopefully he'll manage to help us finish in the top 10 or perhaps even higher which NP didn't .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

27 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Also a little louder for those at the back, THE FOOTBALL HAS BEEN CRAP. THIS TEAM CAN DO BETTER. Will they? Time will tell but I’d rather watch something new now then watch city try and squeeze out another turgid, rock hard shite of a goal.

I think we all acknowledge he would be difficult - he’s well known for it; I get the impression his main supporters thought (you may disagree) that the C-Suite needed to hear some home truths. Clearly they got sick of it. Blame him or deaf ears is a choice  

I disagree on decent job. We agree on difficult circumstances but I give more credit for managing to keep us from flatlining like we did under Sean O Driscoll who came in under very similar circumstances all that time ago but couldn’t do what Nigel did. Nigel not only kept us up but sorted the finances. No mean feat. 

Agree the football quality was not as we’d have liked in ideal circumstances, but we were not in ideal circumstances. We were fighting to survive on a relative shoestring. And we did. What most of us lament was if Pearson could have kept us relatively danger free for most of his tenure whilst on a leash we wanted to see what he could do having been ‘unleashed’.  Now we will never know. But I fear mostly Liam Manning will be a relative fish out of water like McInnes was; that led to us having to go to SOD; or like LJ was which led to us having to go to Nigel (Holden inbetween). 

I fail to see why that’s hyperbole. 

As for Tinnion, I don’t think you or I would come to any agreement on that. With Nigel there are shades of grey, but on this front I think battle lines are drawn. 

Edited by 38MC
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Out of interest Nige’s role has been much more than football manager, and as a key driver of the football strategy beyond the default stuff we expect a manager to do (pick the team, coach the team, etc).  He’s been football “consultant” too.  And I can understand why having played a huge role is setting that strategy he might be pissy to deviation from it.  Those skills can no longer be provided by Nige.

Do you not get pissy in your job in similar / certain circumstances?

The hope / expectation is that those skills are present in other members of staff in the football club.  We are gonna find out.

+++++++

Your evaluation of how we play is your opinion, that’s fine. I have a different one.  I’ve written tonnes without repeating myself again, hope that’s ok?

+++++++

see other posts on Tins, e,g. From @Dave L.

+++++++

Does if help if you start a post with an insult? 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 38MC said:

I think we all acknowledge he would be difficult - he’s well known for it; I get the impression his main supporters thought (you may disagree) that the C-Suite needed to hear some home truths. Clearly they got sick of it. Blame him or deaf ears is a choice  

I disagree on decent job. We agree on difficult circumstances but I give more credit for managing to keep us from flatlining like we did under Sean O Driscoll who came in under very similar circumstances all that time ago but couldn’t do what Nigel did. Nigel not only kept us up but sorted the finances. No mean feat. 

Agree the football quality was not as we’d have liked in ideal circumstances, but we were not in ideal circumstances. We were fighting to survive on a relative shoestring. And we did. What most of us lament was if Pearson could have kept us relatively danger free for most of his tenure whilst on a leash we wanted to see what he could do having been ‘unleashed’.  Now we will never know. But I fear mostly Liam Manning will be a relative fish out of water like McInnes was; that led to us having to go to SOD; or like LJ was which led to us having to go to Nigel (Holden inbetween). 

I fail to see why that’s hyperbole. 

As for Tinnion, I don’t think we’ll come to any agreement on that. 

You raise some good points and appreciate the way they are put across.

I think you’ve got to consider the old “I say it like it is” type of person that perhaps nige is. While they don’t pull any punches, so uncomfortable things get said and that’s valuable often it is a very thinly veiled act for actually just being abit of a cock and probably not listening to anything in return. While I do not know, I feel that Pearson has more than a touch of this about him. And in some ways, why wouldn’t he? He’s got the t shirt and is widing down to retirement.

fact is the loudest voice in the room is not always the right one. We will never know what goes on behind closed doors and I’ll admit, a lot of the board actions seem clueless but football is such a ridiculous business I kind of get it? It’s all abit of a nonsense really, a mythical slice of capitalism cooked up to keep us entertained - so many different schools of thought and changing winds, again - I just get it how you can easily come across badly and find yourself drifting as an owner. I just don’t understand the hell bent entitled nature of some of our fans to get to the premier league at all costs, this is so completely at odds with the favour for nige who was never going to get us there

nige did a decent job, but I’ve not been inspired - not once and I don’t think anyone in the ground has been either and that shows in the lack of chemistry between the fans and team in my view. A change could be really really good

the Tinnion thing really is crap though, and people should be ashamed.
if you could explain that that would be great.

So far all I see the headline as is “club legend disgraces his status by continuing to want to do a job for the club he has worked for for nearly 30 years” 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest Nige’s role has been much more than football manager, and as a key driver of the football strategy beyond the default stuff we expect a manager to do (pick the team, coach the team, etc).  He’s been football “consultant” too.  And I can understand why having played a huge role is setting that strategy he might be pissy to deviation from it.  Those skills can no longer be provided by Nige.

The hope / expectation is that those skills are present in other members of staff in the football club.  We are gonna find out.

+++++++

Your evaluation of how we play is your opinion, that’s fine. I have a different one.  I’ve written tonnes without repeating myself again, hope that’s ok?

+++++++

+++++++

I mean, it’s hard not to describe the Pearson rhetoric like this is it? It’s not exactly been productive or balanced

blowhard
/ˈbləʊhɑːd/

noun
DEROGATORYINFORMAL
noun: blow-hard
  1. a boastful or pompous person.
    "the segregationist blowhards who would dominate the politics of my state for a generation"

Edited by Fjmcity

25 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Bang on right.

Trouble is that some very regular and seemingly influential posters  have appeared to basically bet their reputation on Nige and are really very desperate to protect their position after it all inevitably fell apart. They'll never forgive this and without doubt will state with authority if LM does well that it's all because  of NP and if he fails it was because it wasn't NP.

I sort of sympathise with them when some are setting themselves up as semi professional commentators who have basically been so polarised about NP being pretty much the  best manager that we could/ have/will ever have.

He did a good job, won nothing, got sacked , got replaced and we move on to someone who we'll also move on from one way or another but hopefully he'll manage to help us finish in the top 10 or perhaps even higher which NP didn't .

Agreed, surprised at some of the posters who went off the deep end with this one 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

For me, I was really angered by the way NP was treated, but as discussed down the pub earlier, we really don't know who did what or who said what. I just didn't like how what he's achieved wasn't acknowledged. And I didn't like that they all had to go. Brutal.

I understand the comparison of league position, performances etc, but the way some are obsessing over NP on here is a bit weird (just saw one post saying " I miss Fleming" wtf is that about) ? 

The Robins uncut vid is revealing in some ways.

That’s the thing it’s just very weird honestly think a lot of people in our fanbase (or on this forum) identify with nige in terms of gender/age/outlook and that’s why they are so hurt. some one suggested a round of chanting for Pearson on 60 Mins because that’s how old is he ffs - some people literally have lost their minds

although similarly the rounding on tinnion blasts that out the water, but I guess he is but a pawn for the devil incarnate so that’s maybe to be expected.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

I mean, it’s hard not to describe the Pearson rhetoric like this is it? It’s not exactly been productive or balanced

blowhard
/ˈbləʊhɑːd/

noun
DEROGATORYINFORMAL
    "the segregationist blowhards who would dominate the politics of my state for a generation"

I do feel that with one or two exceptions, there is a big exaggeration of the actual opinion of the Nige-supporter, and I think that exaggerated view is sometimes / often used to avoid presenting one’s own views of the opposite side of the argument….and that cult of Nige only see wonderful things, when itheur view is probably a bit more central than you think.

1 minute ago, Fjmcity said:

although similarly the rounding on tinnion blasts that out the water, but I guess he is but a pawn for the devil incarnate so that’s maybe to be expected.

Agree.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

+++++++

+++++++

+++++++

And yea, absolutely ok with me that you enjoyed Pearson ball. You do you. I guess the slow ponderous play makes analysis easier 

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I do feel that with one or two exceptions, there is a big exaggeration of the actual opinion of the Nige-supporter, and I think that exaggerated view is sometimes / often used to avoid presenting one’s own views of the opposite side of the argument….and that cult of Nige only see wonderful things, when itheur view is probably a bit more central than you think.

Agree.

I know this forum is not indicative of the fan base; it’s just a pain in the arse to try and read opinion on city without running into someone still crying their eyes out over him - and I don’t include you in that, obviously.

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree.

I'm not sure it's the opinion per se of the Nige supporter (******* hate that I am saying that as I am a Nige supporter for ***** sake) but the lengths to which a few are going, I am a paid agent for someone or something apparently (not sure where I need to write to JL to collect my pay, do I get extra as I've been on here for over 20 years?) I see people who are on the Nige was bang average side of this be accused of being part of some wierd Bristol Sport mission to do Im not sure what. 

We've had the professional integrity of our new head coach questioned as he must be a yes man and will do anything to get the job at city and can't possibly be his own man, as we only employ yes men apparently. 

Considering we broadly agree on how Pearson did here, our only difference is that I feel we were reaching a plateau of how far he could take us, (despite thinking Pearson earned a chance to prove otherwise) yet I've not noticed you being accused of being on Pearson's payroll, 🤣

So although I'm not sure I agree with opening with an insult I don't think blowhards is particularly harsh considering what has been thrown at others. 

36 minutes ago, Spud21 said:

I'm not sure it's the opinion per se of the Nige supporter (******* hate that I am saying that as I am a Nige supporter for ***** sake) but the lengths to which a few are going, I am a paid agent for someone or something apparently (not sure where I need to write to JL to collect my pay, do I get extra as I've been on here for over 20 years?) I see people who are on the Nige was bang average side of this be accused of being part of some wierd Bristol Sport mission to do Im not sure what. 

We've had the professional integrity of our new head coach questioned as he must be a yes man and will do anything to get the job at city and can't possibly be his own man, as we only employ yes men apparently. 

Considering we broadly agree on how Pearson did here, our only difference is that I feel we were reaching a plateau of how far he could take us, (despite thinking Pearson earned a chance to prove otherwise) yet I've not noticed you being accused of being on Pearson's payroll, 🤣

So although I'm not sure I agree with opening with an insult I don't think blowhards is particularly harsh considering what has been thrown at others. 

That’s probably two-fold, 1) because I haven’t accused anyone of being on the payroll to receive a response like that back and 2) I’’m not!

You will find that all I’ve done is explained why some of the accusations came about in the first place - and that is because the mods explained that people had signed up with personal details that could be traced back to BS, and some posters didn’t believe it to be true.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That’s probably two-fold, 1) because I haven’t accused anyone of being on the payroll to receive a response like that back and 2) I’’m not!

You will find that all I’ve done is explained why some of the accusations came about in the first place - and that is because the mods explained that people had signed up with personal details that could be traced back to BS, and some posters didn’t believe it to be true.

this and the above 12-13 posts is the best most reasoned debate ive read all week. still despise the nature of the sacking and honestly thought we are ready to push on now (with a few players) but my hopes have been dashed for the last time for a while, really hope LM can finish the job pearson started but still too downbeat to go and watch it in person and waste a load more money. time for a break for a little while. no doubt the itch to go will return one day, ive been going since 1969 and was finding it harder,it always gets me back somehow though , have fun everyone, 

10 hours ago, Spud21 said:

This, 1000x this. 

10 hours ago, 38MC said:

Totally agree. West Ham are in a similar predicament with David Moyes - contract up at the end of the season, realistically not going to renew, but I dare say they’ll manage it a lot better. 

I suspect that had NP stayed until the end of his contract and then been replaced it would have been much different.i.e. thanking NP for a good job in difficult circumstances.

As it was, for whatever reasons NP backed the club into a corner re offer of a new contract. My suspicion is that his belligerent personality became a problem, causing the quite obvious fallout we have witnessed.

We (fans)need to draw a line under this, otherwise LM won't be able to do right for doing wrong ( see GJ vs RR) as fans continue to look for evidence that Manning was a bad appointment because Pearson should still be here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

In a lot of ways, Mannings walking into a hiding to nothing.

- Performs at the same level as Pearson (so bobbing around 10th this season) - doesn’t meet the remit of kicking on

- Performs better than Pearson but is allowed to add players - board are seen as even more complicit in sabotaging Pearson and he gets little credit

- Performs worse than Pearson - nuff said

The only way Manning will get credit (and in turn justify JL and BTs decision) is to significantly outperform Pearson in results and performance with the same squad - and even then for some it’ll be tempered by the fact he’ll have injured players back.

I want him to do well, and am cautiously optimistic. But I also fear that the way the clowns in charge have handled things have left him in a position where he can’t win unless he does something spectacular.

Exactly this, also if he does really well it will be "because Pearson done all the groundwork" from many fans.

Everything points to the board wanting Pearson gone, and the way they handled it has been atrocious.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Neither to my knowledge have any of the people being accused of being Bristol Sport employees, but they seem to be getting accusations thrown at them. Had I had to set this new account up recently (not that it's hard to work out what my old account was that's been here since 2003 that I couldn't get back into was) I can 100% guarantee I'd be getting the same lazy insults as others. 

I don't believe I've seen anyone doubting the mods saying some people signed up that could be traced back to BS (happy to be corrected) , but I don't remember seeing any mods naming names(again happy to be corrected) so the fact is nobody knows who can and can't be traced back to BS, and even if they can so what? Are BS employees not allowed to be city fans? Or on this forum, I don't also know of the mods telling us why these accounts registered.

Like another poster said the Human factor plays a part some of the absolute vitriol thst has been fired the way of almost anyone connected with the club means that it's entirely plausible that some of these people registered because of the absolute barrage of abuse that was going the way of people they may work for, or just know and naturally take a contrary view. 

The timing could be indicative of something or it could also not be indicative of anything more than 1 BS employee who is already on here comments look at this shit show and abuse thst is flying around that's caused a flurry of others to sign up, as let's face it this place was not a vision of tranquility before NP was sacked was it? 

Correlation does not equal causation and what can be explained by some wierd nefarious conspiracy that makes no sense, that can also be explained by people being people I tend to start at the position that it's probably not time to get the tin foil hats out and accuse anyone who doesn't confirm to my specific view of a situation of being a paid actor. 

40 minutes ago, Spud21 said:

Neither to my knowledge have any of the people being accused of being Bristol Sport employees, but they seem to be getting accusations thrown at them. Had I had to set this new account up recently (not that it's hard to work out what my old account was that's been here since 2003 that I couldn't get back into was) I can 100% guarantee I'd be getting the same lazy insults as others. 

I don't believe I've seen anyone doubting the mods saying some people signed up that could be traced back to BS (happy to be corrected) , but I don't remember seeing any mods naming names(again happy to be corrected) so the fact is nobody knows who can and can't be traced back to BS, and even if they can so what? Are BS employees not allowed to be city fans? Or on this forum, I don't also know of the mods telling us why these accounts registered.

Like another poster said the Human factor plays a part some of the absolute vitriol thst has been fired the way of almost anyone connected with the club means that it's entirely plausible that some of these people registered because of the absolute barrage of abuse that was going the way of people they may work for, or just know and naturally take a contrary view. 

The timing could be indicative of something or it could also not be indicative of anything more than 1 BS employee who is already on here comments look at this shit show and abuse thst is flying around that's caused a flurry of others to sign up, as let's face it this place was not a vision of tranquility before NP was sacked was it? 

Correlation does not equal causation and what can be explained by some wierd nefarious conspiracy that makes no sense, that can also be explained by people being people I tend to start at the position that it's probably not time to get the tin foil hats out and accuse anyone who doesn't confirm to my specific view of a situation of being a paid actor. 

If you’re talking generally, I tend to agree, hence my stance on another thread about asking OTIBers to try to post in a nice way, debate the topic, not the poster in essence.

But if you’re aiming stuff at me, I’d like to know on what basis?

16 hours ago, Cristored said:

Manning doesn’t need to do any of this. 

So is Manning being given a “free pass” to be worse than the man he replaced, who was supposedly failing because those with the power to sack him decided that he couldn’t achieve “this season’s aim”?

Either the aim is promotion this season or it isn’t. And if it isn’t then, the reason for getting rid of Pearson was false, while it also suggests a major lack of ambition. And it doesn’t make Bristol Sport a more inviting option to buy, as the only way to make the finances better is making it to the Premier League, even if it’s only for one season, because of the nature of the parachute payments.

You can’t have it both ways. There is no such thing as Schrodinger’s promotion!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

blowhard
/ˈbləʊhɑːd/

noun
DEROGATORYINFORMAL

james bond cat GIF by Giffffr

Someone call me ? 

• Haha 1