IGNORED

Man U 50 years ago

22A

This evening on TNT sports 1 (was BT sports 1) there was a documentary "Too good to go down" looking at Man U in the post Matt Busby era. that resulted in relegation in 73/74. Players of that era were recalling that era.

"First game in the 2nd division we won 2-0 at Orient to get the ball rolling". 

"That's when the Red Army was born, we'd take a massive following to places like Blackpool and York and take over the town".

"Every team in the 2nd division was terrified of coming to Old Trafford which was a big advantage to us".

Now my memory may be playing tricks on me here, but; October 74, I don't recall the Mancunians taking over Bristol.  A few months later City's players didn't seem too scared at OT.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 22A said:

This evening on TNT sports 1 (was BT sports 1) there was a documentary "Too good to go down" looking at Man U in the post Matt Busby era. that resulted in relegation in 73/74. Players of that era were recalling that era.

"First game in the 2nd division we won 2-0 at Orient to get the ball rolling". 

"That's when the Red Army was born, we'd take a massive following to places like Blackpool and York and take over the town".

"Every team in the 2nd division was terrified of coming to Old Trafford which was a big advantage to us".

Now my memory may be playing tricks on me here, but; October 74, I don't recall the Mancunians taking over Bristol.  A few months later City's players didn't seem too scared at OT.

Was that the year they came and lost 1-0 then rioted down Coronation Road?

• Like 1

Just now, headhunter said:

Yes, 1-0, 9 November 74 with a goal at the East End by John Emanuel. Was there.

Won 1-0 at Old Trafford too, last minute winner by Gillies.

The riots along Coronation Road were worldwide news, my late sister who lived in New Zealand called us up to check we were ok after seeing places she knew on the NZ news. 

6 minutes ago, southside said:

After the game the East End lads went through North St and over the Gaol Ferry bridge and steamed into the Man U fans who were coming up Cumberland Rd to get to their coaches at Canons Marsh

Funnily enough I was talking about this game on Saturday.

I was 11 & it was the first large scale violence outside a ground I ever saw, always remember some Man U fan was getting a right kicking just by the tannery, this stuff became commonplace over the next few years but it was the first time I witnessed it.

I remember both those games well and a kid at school who was a Man Ure fan who would run in the opposite direction every time he saw me after we beat them at OT.

Read a book about their notorious following a few years back and how it became a commercial business for many. Book was called "Scum Airways" and is worthwhile a read.  Available on Amazon for under £1

After that documentary, the same channel broadcast live coverage of Man U's game at Copenhagen. I cheered when the winning goal went in; 4-3 to Copenhagen!

I developed a passing interest in Copenhagen when they were qualifying games in September. Away to an East European club, to show they are hard many Copenhagen fans took their shirts off. To my surprise three young ladies amongst them did the same and it was all shown live.