IGNORED

Training session - perhaps TC didn’t get the memo

Jerseybean

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I honestly don’t know either way because I don’t know much about Manning.

I’m annoyed Pearson was sacked but am prepared to give Manning a fair go. Surely that’s how most people feel? 

For me, based on his lack of Champ experience and the lack of any success in his managerial career, its a big risk. 

I think a lot of people have fallen for the "best young coach in England" PR. 

If people want to sing his name, that's fine but for me the proof will be in the pudding. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

For me, based on his lack of Champ experience and the lack of any success in his managerial career, its a big risk. 

If people want to sing his name, that's fine but for me the proof will be in the pudding. 

How much longer are you going to whine about his appointment? Get over it FFS. You are so negative and like a broken record. Jesus

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don’t think anyone has fallen for anything tbh, but there is excitement over something new, even if people like me are still angry that Nige has been sacked.

Why does have he have to win you over, why not go into this with an open-mind?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spreadsheet Boy said:

I don’t think anyone has fallen for anything tbh, but there is excitement over something new, even if people like me are still angry that Nige has been sacked.

Why does have he have to win you over, why not go into this with an open-mind?

It seems quite a few are fully paid up members to the Liam Manning fan club (which is fair enough) and they have disdain for anyone who isn't yet signed up which isn't fair. We all see things and interpreted things differently. 

For me the bare minimum is to the same PPG as Pearson this season but because of the reasons why he now finds himself in this job I also think there does need to be an improvement. 

My issue isn't with Manning, just like how I didn't have an issue with Tinnion, Millen, Holden, LJ, my concern is with the club selecting the right person. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It seems quite a few are fully paid up members to the Liam Manning fan club (which is fair enough) and they have disdain for anyone who isn't yet signed up which isn't fair. We all see things and interpreted things differently. 

For me the bare minimum is to the same PPG as Pearson this season but because of the reasons why he now finds himself in this job I also think there does need to be an improvement. 

My issue isn't with Manning, just like how I didn't have an issue with Tinnion, Millen, Holden, LJ, my concern is with the club selecting the right person. 

It’s completely fine to have the expectations you do, I don’t think many will disagree with your simple measure of;

- needing to be better than Nige’s PPG as a bare minimum (the board have set that haven’t they, not that failure means sacking)

I think it’s more that it feels that you’ve decided his fate already and are finding things to be down on him when there’s little evidence to support that…nor is there much / anything to support it’s all gonna be fine either.

It’s all a big unknown.  And by ten to five later today, we won’t know either.  There will undoubtedly be reaction whichever way which is likely to be a bit OTT.  I’m not sure whether otib is gonna be fun later! 😬😬😬

58 minutes ago, Spreadsheet Boy said:

It’s completely fine to have the expectations you do, I don’t think many will disagree with your simple measure of;

- needing to be better than Nige’s PPG as a bare minimum (the board have set that haven’t they, not that failure means sacking)

I think it’s more that it feels that you’ve decided his fate already and are finding things to be down on him when there’s little evidence to support that…nor is there much / anything to support it’s all gonna be fine either.

It’s all a big unknown.  And by ten to five later today, we won’t know either.  There will undoubtedly be reaction whichever way which is likely to be a bit OTT.  I’m not sure whether otib is gonna be fun later! 😬😬😬

I suppose at my age now, I'm more cautious than optimistic. 

We were doing fine with Nige and making continued progression (however slow) 

I remember when McCarthy was at Ipswich. People didn't realise what a good job he was doing until he left and they then fell into League One for the next 4 seasons. When Mick came in it looked like they might go down iirc. He kept them up and got them in and challenging for the play offs. I think he spent a lot less than what he brought in? I think there was some issues with the owner too? 

So quite a few similarities with what Nige was doing here but maybe slightly different circumstances.

Birmingham are a recent example of the risk involved in replacing a popular manager.

I guess what I'm trying to say is we have gambled stability and slow progression to have a go at promotion. It's fantastic if others are excited and believe the gamble will pay off. 

But for me, I'm the type of guy that doesn't leave the house without a fully charged power bank. I'm quite cautious so that's where my scepticism comes from. 

I'd be expecting 3 points from 2moros game whoever was in charge. 

I do feel sorry for Manning in that whatever he does for the foreseeable, he will be compared to Nige. But I suppose he knew that when taking the job. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

'd be expecting 3 points from 2moros game whoever was in charge. 

I do feel sorry for Manning in that whatever he does for the foreseeable, he will be compared to Nige. But I suppose he knew that when taking the job. 

W-S-M Seagull potential reactions of a City loss at QPR :

1) With Nige: "injuries cost us the game against an improving side"

2) With Liam: "Inexperienced  coach out of his depth. Would never have happened against a relegation team if Nige was still here."

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Not a question of being a fully paid fan of anyone, more of a case of not looking to denigrate the man based on one's own assumptions and some video and photographs.

I agree, especially as he will hopefully benefit from the returning players like Atkinson, Benarous, Wells etc.

Well that's not how it comes across so far, very few of your posts have mentioned your issues with the board/owners, it's been exclusively about Manning and his background.

Other comments above.

We can't really discuss the difference in coaching styles because Pearson didn't really coach, but I agree it will be interesting to see a different style of man management, one I expect to be more inclusive than before and what that might bring.

30 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Other comments above.

We can't really discuss the difference in coaching styles because Pearson didn't really coach, but I agree it will be interesting to see a different style of man management, one I expect to be more inclusive than before and what that might bring.

On the coaching side of things, I think what needs to be considered is that we should really be comparing Manning and staff to Fleming and Euell…in terms of the actual sessions.  I think some fans throw in the “we look poorly coached” because they incorrectly think that because Nige doesn’t do it, that the players aren’t coached.  Which we both know is BS.

Actually, scrap that, we shouldn’t be comparing at all.  All we have is some edited videos to go on. 😉

Manning himself said:

image.thumb.png.20bd248875a9ecd7bee74f242cc16fa8.png

Thought that was a brilliant point to make. 👍🏻

• Like 1

• Admin
41 minutes ago, Spreadsheet Boy said:

On the coaching side of things, I think what needs to be considered is that we should really be comparing Manning and staff to Fleming and Euell…in terms of the actual sessions.  I think some fans throw in the “we look poorly coached” because they incorrectly think that because Nige doesn’t do it, that the players aren’t coached.  Which we both know is BS.

Actually, scrap that, we shouldn’t be comparing at all.  All we have is some edited videos to go on. 😉

Manning himself said:

image.thumb.png.20bd248875a9ecd7bee74f242cc16fa8.png

Thought that was a brilliant point to make. 👍🏻

The last accusation you can throw at the previous management team is that the players look poorly coached as evidenced by our improving GD the longer they were here. We were increasingly a well-drilled team, something that opposing coaches and fans commented on also. But we did still lack the ability/creativity to break down similarly well-drilled teams, especially at home. Often that is more to do with decision making in scenarios and could hopefully be fixed by differently coaching.

• Like 2

On 09/11/2023 at 18:37, The Coach said:

Does look very odd not seeing Nige, Fleming and Euell taking training.

No offence to Manning and his assistant. But it genuinely looks like we’ve given the job to the work experience boys.

Have a bad feeling about this. 

As opposed to the coaches who took us from 14th ….to 15th in 2 and a half years 

Legends!

• Facepalm 1

10 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It seems quite a few are fully paid up members to the Liam Manning fan club (which is fair enough) and they have disdain for anyone who isn't yet signed up which isn't fair.

What do you mean, “paid up members to LM fan club?”. Another OTT statement

I feel the majority are still gutted NP has gone, deeply pissed off at the clubs owners but are moving on. You have to look forward and that means giving Manning a chance. Very far from being a fanboy and just supporting the team, which is what we should all be doing.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

We're currently in the grace period where Andy and others of his ilk are right behind the new boss. Previous experience suggests this will last no more than about 6 weeks before they're at the front of the queue demanding his immediate sacking.

I thought you were going to say "6 minutes into his first game"

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

We're currently in the grace period where Andy and others of his ilk are right behind the new boss. Previous experience suggests this will last no more than about 6 weeks before they're at the front of the queue demanding his immediate sacking.

Already half way through painting my bed sheet ….

• Haha 1