IGNORED

Costly exercise to change coaching staff

Major Isewater

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

If I recall correctly Ward did ask for help but wanted Mick Harford as his assistant. 
Benny was bought in without any consultation with JW. very much undermining his position. 
Another cock up by the club. 

It was Ray Harford that John Ward wanted.

Edit, autocorrect!

Edited by CodeRed
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Spud21 said:

See I remember it more that he asked for help, but would only accept Mick Harford and when it wasn't him spat his dummy out. 

Now why the club didn't want Harford god knows, but if you've come out and said that you need help and don't know what You are doing, I'm not sure you then retain the right to have a cry if the club don't go with your choice of help. 

As I replied to the Major, Ray Harford not Mick Harford

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Does anyone seriously think that the costs of changing managers and coaches are drawn from the same pool as the transfer and player wages budget?

Personally I think “playing” or “football” budget is one big pot, made up of lots of “ledgers”, like wages for players, non-players, amortisation, other costs, etc.

Its why I’ve never subscribed to the “war chest” notion, because you can buy a player for £4m and £20k p.w for 4 years and it cost you the same each year as a free transfer on £40k p.w.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Spreadsheet Boy said:

Personally I think “playing” or “football” budget is one big pot, made up of lots of “ledgers”, like wages for players, non-players, amortisation, other costs, etc.

Its why I’ve never subscribed to the “war chest” notion, because you can buy a player for £4m and £20k p.w for 4 years and it cost you the same each year as a free transfer on £40k p.w.

Alright spreadsheet boy, calm down with your fancy words.

I said "pools" and you've said "ledgers" because you're a spreadsheet boy and I'm a man of the common tongue.

What I am assuming - and it is an assumption - is that there's a ring-fenced contingency budget for management/coaching changes. If we operated without that, in an industry where senior key people change every 2 years or so, we'd be stupid.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Does anyone seriously think that the costs of changing managers and coaches are drawn from the same pool as the transfer and player wages budget?

Plus, what exactly would be the point in identifying the bloke you want to take over & then saying to him, you’ve now got to work with the previous bloke’s coaches?

Whether this works out or not, was right or wrong, it would have been completely ridiculous to try to do that.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Alright spreadsheet boy, calm down with your fancy words.

I said "pools" and you've said "ledgers" because you're a spreadsheet boy and I'm a man of the common tongue.

What I am assuming - and it is an assumption - is that there's a ring-fenced contingency budget for management/coaching changes. If we operated without that, in an industry where senior key people change every 2 years or so, we'd be stupid.

Hehe!!!

I guess you can’t fish in a ledger….pools it is! 😉

I think the contingency is about £20-25m 👀👀👀👀

• Haha 1

Not that I'm defending the board but their line in the summer was that we couldn't up the wage bill. You could argue this is different because manager pay-offs and compensation are not on-going costs. They'd come out of the budget this year but not increase our ongoing annual spending. (Indeed, as others have said, we might actually be spending less on coaching staff now)

• Like 1

There are some accomplished accountants on this forum, so i'll bow to their superior knowledge, but perhaps the club "provided" for reorganisation which would take the costs of sackings and new recruitment up front costs off balance sheet. Possibly no accident that the senior roles have changed in job title and remit, allowing the restructure costs to be allocated separately in the budget.

How that relates to FFP I have no idea, but when I had a corporate role and the company was in the shit, a vast amount of expenditure relating to what was deemed "onerous cost" was placed into a provision as it was no longer relevant to the business.

Formerly called FRS12 , and being an active budget presumably nobody has sight of it outside of senior club staff.

Sounds daft as its still cash going out the door, but it was seen by accountants as a budgetary life saver.

17 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

You always factor in a contingency to any budget.

Let's say Nige was doing a terrible job and was going to take us down, but the club said, "sorry, stuck with him, we did our money on players", there would be outcry.

Isn't that the situation with Torquay Utd at the moment with GJ?

I've heard that they basically can't afford to sack him, due to the contract that he has with them.

Very unlikely that they'll get out of Conference South this season, but are stuck with him, until he decides that he wants to leave or the contract runs out.

2 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Isn't that the situation with Torquay Utd at the moment with GJ?

I've heard that they basically can't afford to sack him, due to the contract that he has with them.

Very unlikely that they'll get out of Conference South this season, but are stuck with him, until he decides that he wants to leave or the contract runs out.

I heard that GJ was on 4k a week hence my comment a while back that I thought 100k / 150 as an average for a League 1 Manager seemed to be low. I live near Torquay and know season ticket holders and they think the 4k a week is correct. Can't be right for National League South can it? Mind you a ticket where varies between £19 and £22 at Plainmoor. Sounds bonkers to me!