IGNORED

Costly exercise to change coaching staff

Major Isewater

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If the budget is the budget for Football Operations, then that covers players and football staff alike no? Well maybe not but it seems oddly flexible.

Was one of the Qs I asked JL to clarify.  Nothing against JL, I wasn’t actually expecting him to respond, but I wanted to raise the question.  Ed Hadwin did a good job on this at the end of SOTC.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If the budget is the budget for Football Operations, then that covers players and football staff alike no? Well maybe not but it seems oddly flexible.

You always factor in a contingency to any budget.

Let's say Nige was doing a terrible job and was going to take us down, but the club said, "sorry, stuck with him, we did our money on players", there would be outcry.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Let's say Nige was doing a terrible job and was going to take us down, but the club said, "sorry, stuck with him, we did our money on players", there would be outcry.

Unless you're in a strict EFL signed off FFP Business Plan of course, tend to agree.

Yes initially we have to pay off outgoing staff for the short remainder of their existing contract and compensation for new staff from Oxford. However, you're not factoring in the money we would have spent on renewing Nige, Fleming and Rennie in the coming months. I guarantee they were on a much larger financial package than Manning and co are. Perhaps we've taken a hit now but over the longer term the finances even out.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It is bizarre that Pearson was told that the budget was maxed out even after selling Scott.

Then suddenly we find money to pay off Pearson, Fleming, Euell and Rennie.

We then found even more money to pay compo to Oxford for Manning and his staff and any possible signing on fees. 

Id argue that money could have been used to bring in the 2 players we needed in the summer

Redundancy / compensation payments are accounted differently, so as not to effect (for example) existing wage budgets.

20 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

He'd signed a contract that needed to be paid to the end of the season in any case. 

Now of course we don't know the terms of his contract but it's likely he'll just have had his contract paid up. 

Spending money on compensation for Manning etc wouldn't have been in a contingency I doubt. 

Could have just hired someone out of work.

There was always money available, just not for Nige.

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It is bizarre that Pearson was told that the budget was maxed out even after selling Scott.

Then suddenly we find money to pay off Pearson, Fleming, Euell and Rennie.

We then found even more money to pay compo to Oxford for Manning and his staff and any possible signing on fees. 

Id argue that money could have been used to bring in the 2 players we needed in the summer

It's not bizarre mate. (as I am aware you know).

Lying ****s. The lot of them.

SELL UP AND **** OFF.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Fammyfan said:

The outlay won’t be huge until the end of the season but the thing that surprises me is the 3 and a half year contract given to LM, very few clubs stick with the manager for that long.

Likely means that if he does fairly well and someone else wants to employ him, we'll get strong compo.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

But we have no idea what the compensation was, so to speculate that the money could have been used to bring in a couple of players suggests we shelled out loads.

We know for Manning it was £600k, and if we assuming Pearson's contract was circa £15kpw over 36 weeks, so circa £450k-550k.

Add staff (Assume £6kpw for Assistant, Medical. Coach at £4kpw) for further another circa £500k.

You'd probably be talking around £1m for NP, Rennie, Fleming, Euell.

For Manning, Hogg, Krause, probably £900k (longer contracts).

Include agent fees, it's probably circa £2m. Could have bought a another decent midfielder for that, which I'd of preferred. But we're here now with no NP. So...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fuber said:

We know for Manning it was £600k, and if we assuming Pearson's contract was circa £15kpw over 36 weeks, so circa £450k-550k.

Add staff (Assume £6kpw for Assistant, Medical. Coach at £4kpw) for further another circa £500k.

Include agent fees, it's probably circa £2m. Could have bought an another decent midfielder for that, which I'd of preferred. But we're here now with no NP. So...

Guess the “sacked 4” were already in the budget, so just the new guys are “extra spending”.

13 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Include agent fees, it's probably circa £2m. Could have bought a another decent midfielder for that, which I'd of preferred. But we're here now with no NP. So...

Not saying you are wrong, but where did the 600k compensation number come from?

• Like 2

Yea it seems a lot, there was a report where a number of clubs surveyed that got leaked and think reported by the daily mail, and from that the average league 1 manager salary seemed to work out at about 150k so if we assume that Manning was on around that 600k seems way off the mark, especially when you consider where Oxford were when appointed and it seems common knowledge that Oxford had a break clause out in so Manning insisted on his own clause and wouldn't expect that to have been much more than a years Salary. 

So although it could be 600k that seems very high. 

1 hour ago, Superjack said:

It's not bizarre mate. (as I am aware you know).

Lying ****s. The lot of them.

SELL UP AND **** OFF.

Give it a rest and move on  they obviously  didn't have confidence in Nigel Pearson to progress the team beyond mid-table and given the performances and results over the last 3 years that's not an outlandish conclusion.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Facepalm 2

23 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Give it a rest and move on  they obviously  didn't have confidence in Nigel Pearson to progress the team beyond mid-table and given the performances and results over the last 3 years that's not an outlandish conclusion.

The results will prove or disprove the wisdom of the decision.

I suspect fans could turn if things go badly.

Big decision for the hierarchy this. Patience might be in short supply.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The results will prove or disprove the wisdom of the decision.

I suspect fans could turn if things go badly.

Do you not think if that were the case it would have happened previously? 

I really think that the fan base at larges opinion on this is being massively skewed by the representation on here. There is a section that is angry but I don't think that anger is spread outside of a relatively small group, if huge swathes of people really were as angry I think it would have shown far more on Saturday which was let's face it another absolute rotter of a performance against a shit side with 10 men. 

The only time I can remember the fan base "turning" in my time supporting City was Pulis, and let's be real we have been in far worse places than we are now in the time I have been going (mid 90s)

Not saying it's beyond the realms of possibility but the non forum people I speak to or stand near in S24 were largely disappointed and dint like the way it was done but in the grand scheme of things not in any way angry about it. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Spud21 said:

Do you not think if that were the case it would have happened previously? 

I really think that the fan base at larges opinion on this is being massively skewed by the representation on here. There is a section that is angry but I don't think that anger is spread outside of a relatively small group, if huge swathes of people really were as angry I think it would have shown far more on Saturday which was let's face it another absolute rotter of a performance against a shit side with 10 men. 

The only time I can remember the fan base "turning" in my time supporting City was Pulis, and let's be real we have been in far worse places than we are now in the time I have been going (mid 90s)

Not saying it's beyond the realms of possibility but the non forum people I speak to or stand near in S24 were largely disappointed and dint like the way it was done but in the grand scheme of things not in any way angry about it. 

Surely a change for the worse would lead it downhill, or you think it would just be looked at apathetically then? "Oh well, here we go again". If we change and it gets worse a natural reaction would be to turn a bit yeah. Perhaps you are right on this, time will tell.

We are in interesting times. Even then I remember arguments between fans in the Atyeo maybe 3 months in, pro and Anti Pulis.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous