IGNORED

Sam Bell starts for England Elite (U20s)

Simon bristol

15 minutes ago, cheese said:

Why oh why do some posters on here love to rubbish our own players?  We have one selected for England and immediately it's because there's no other talent available and the "conveyor belt" has dried up.  No doubt young players read the forum - they wouldn't be human if they didn't.  If someone, anyone, kept saying I was rubbish at my job it would undoubtedly affect my performance - even if I was able to dismiss them as not having a clue.

Maybe it's one of the reasons we are destined to be languishing in tiers 2,3 and sometimes 4.

Given the recent results of that age group, its perfectly reasonable to question the pool of players imo. That doesn't necessarily mean that there are no quality players available, just that the squad selected may be weak. Sometimes due to the over reliance on kids from Premier League teams with no real experience, or maybe the coaching. Maybe they should look into the EPL a bit more, there are some good players outside of the Premier League.

I think that the experience Bell now has in comparison to a lot of the U20 players is a major factor in his inclusion (nearly 70 first team games at a good level and four championship goals so far this season) as well as his talent of course, the best of luck to him and I hope he gets more caps.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I’m not sure the conveyor belt has dried up.

Off the top of my head, I can think of two players who would be eligible, but, unfortunately, will not be selected.

Rico Lewis, who currently has his own thread on here, is unavailable as he has been named in the full England squad, as was Jude Bellingham, before he pulled out due to injury.

I believe a certain Alex Scott might also have been eligible.

Exactly this, when we have young lads at BCFC in our first team the results of the U21’s suffer. When you have 18’s in the 21’s the 18’s get done 5-2 by Cribbs two days later. The best lads at the age group for England are either in the U21’s or like Lewis on the full squad. To say the talent has “dried up” is thoughtless.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Has he actually been called up cos I’ve noticed him in a few of the training videos over the past week

Great minds, just seen today’s tweet, and I’m sure that’s TC at the end scoring with his left peg.  Or are they all on holiday abd using old footage! 😉😉😉😉😉

(Conspiracy theory log #43267.1

Edited by Davefevs

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Great minds, just seen today’s tweet, and I’m sure that’s TC at the end scoring with his left peg.  Or are they all on holiday abd using old footage! 😉😉😉😉😉

I wonder if he’s decided to stay behind to get up to speed with Manning ball

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wasn't 100% sure he was called up until I saw the Scottish FA article I posted above.

Bit that stands out;

"The squad is boosted by the return of captain Josh Doig who missed the last camp through injury, and by the return of striker Tommy Conway. The Bristol City forward, who has also captained the Under-21s in the past, sat out the last two camps through injury."

(I don't think that is Tommy in the clip of training)

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

A very proud day for Sam, Mickey his father, his mother, City fans everywhere.

That is two City youngsters who have played at England under 20 level. Plus those who have been selected for Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

I know that the outlook for our club is not all bright and sunny at this moment but there are so many things that remind me of a time just over fifty years ago.

Quality youth in abundance and a young manager / coach who servedserved their apprenticeships with quality seniors teaching them.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/city-men-news/international-watch-november-2023/

Congratulations Sam 

Cant see anything on the OS about his call up.

Is it him? Going back to pre season i think it was, wasn't there another youngster who looked quite a bit like TC?

image.png.497f0ef250534d29645b5b4bd17a1040.png

Anyway, if he is playing the Belgium v Scot 21s is on the Scottish FA's YouTube tonight as an alternative to the England goal fest v Malta. KO 7pm so could at least get the first half in.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Is it him? Going back to pre season i think it was, wasn't there another youngster who looked quite a bit like TC?

Anyway, if he is playing the Belgium v Scot 21s is on the Scottish FA's YouTube tonight as an alternative to the England goal fest v Malta. KO 7pm so could at least get the first half in.

I mentally made a note that Tommy wasn’t included in the call-up tweet that went out, but then he was on the Scotland tweet….so…..🤷🏻‍♂️

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@bcfc01 who do you reckon it is btw?

Mystery. Maybe you are right :dunno:

Nothing from City on his call up and I originally didn't think he had the call.

Then I've seen reports which say he's with the squad, but nothing from the City OS whilst plenty on Bell.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I mentally made a note that Tommy wasn’t included in the call-up tweet that went out, but then he was on the Scotland tweet….so…..🤷🏻‍♂️

Tommy withdrew from the squad earlier this week;

"After Jude Smith and Emilio Lawrence withdrew from the squad last week, Tommy Conway, Max Johnston and Ben McPherson also withdrew prior to meeting up with the group this week."

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scotland-under-21s-back-in-action-with-belgium-test-in-roeselare/#:~:text=Scotland were unfortunate not to,as they game ended goalless.

So it was Tommy....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Tommy withdrew from the squad earlier this week;

"After Jude Smith and Emilio Lawrence withdrew from the squad last week, Tommy Conway, Max Johnston and Ben McPherson also withdrew prior to meeting up with the group this week."

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scotland-under-21s-back-in-action-with-belgium-test-in-roeselare/#:~:text=Scotland were unfortunate not to,as they game ended goalless.

So it was Tommy....

Assume having fairly recently returned from his hamstring injury, that club negotiated him not joining up?

On 17/11/2023 at 13:53, bcfc01 said:

I wasn't 100% sure he was called up until I saw the Scottish FA article I posted above.

Bit that stands out;

"The squad is boosted by the return of captain Josh Doig who missed the last camp through injury, and by the return of striker Tommy Conway. The Bristol City forward, who has also captained the Under-21s in the past, sat out the last two camps through injury."

(I don't think that is Tommy in the clip of training)

Rock On! Tommy!.............One for older viewers?   Ha!    STOP PRESS*** Tommy's withdrawn from squad, which i am actually pleased about.

Edited by maxjak

On 17/11/2023 at 15:07, Gazred said:

I suppose as City fans, scoring 2 qualifies as a "goal fest"! :whistle2:

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Absolutely delighted that TC has opted to stay with our first team squad, rather than play for Scotland.  Very smart and farsighted move by Tommy, that displays his loyalty and shows the new boss that he is a team player and not just after personal glory?   Hopefully the time he spends at the HPC  under the new coaches will prove beneficial for his game..............I believe that TC, in the future, can prove to be an outstanding striker for us..........just really hope that our new manager/coach goes down the two upfront route?

1 minute ago, View from the Dolman said:

Not sure what the Germans are using to cover this game but the coverage resembles something of a smudged oil painting. 

Is Bell in the team ? Can't find any info anywhere.

Just seen the line up, he's not starting.

Edited by bcfc01