IGNORED

First impressions post Nige

Randy Marsh II

On 11/11/2023 at 18:37, Bat Fastard said:

In his post match interview he spent most of the time looking down and not looking at the interviewer.  To my mind that looks a bit "shifty".  Maybe he is just not very confident - not ideal for someone in his position. Early days and he will have to spend the next two weeks of the international break without his international players - hard to coach his new ideas when so many senior players are absent.  This may be a long, hard winter. 

Yes obviously the sign of a bad manager, noticed on MOTD Ange Postecoglou and Eddie Howe do the same, guess they are shifty and not confident either

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

My own view is that it felt as if NP had stabilised the team, without us actually playing particularly well at times. We spent the whole of last season roughly in the bottom half of the table, without ever being in real danger of being dragged into a relegation battle. This year in a lot of ways feels exactly the same and on that basis it felt as if the club as a whole was drifting somewhat.

The whole budget situation, the lack of direction of the senior management team (particularly after Alexander decided to go early doors, not to be replaced), the absence of communication. It all felt like a marriage that had run it's course and was playing out until the end of the season, where there would be a parting of the ways.

The board to their credit, have decided to make the change mid season (probably forced on them as they were starting to look like complete muppets) and it will take time for LM and his coaching team to get the squad playing in the way that they want them to play. In the meantime, he has two weeks now to get the team playing what in a lot of ways will be a new system, with a new mindset. A difficult thing to do mid season.

What I saw on Saturday was two teams that seemed to be trying to play the way their new respective coaches had in their short time in their role instructed them to play. Both teams looked ineffective and disjointed at times, the way in which if can appear at pre-season friendlies. It wasn't pretty by City, but we looked defensively strong and if Bell had put that last chance away, things might have been viewed differently.

The injuries played a part in NP's team's results over the last 4-6 weeks. But there was some baffling selection decisions as well. Going with 3 keepers, playing 17 and 18 year olds that hadn't even played for the under 21s. Some players like Francois and OTC completely out in the wilderness (yes, I'm aware of the pre season rumours of those two). The over use of Yeboah, as if he would in someway have an epiphany  moment and turn into the next Semenyo, when he looks what he is at the moment, a very raw 17 year old that is still learning how to play football effectively. The fact remained that we have scored 16 goals in 15 games (last season 55 in 46 games) and 2 in the last 5 (both by a CB). The forwards at the club for the second year running aren't producing what we need them to do, it's as simple as that really

This international break has probably come at the best time for LM and the squad. Let's see what the next month brings. There will be some horror shows of that I've no doubt, but we have to give LM time (and hopefully resources) to rebuild a side that plays in the way he wants them to. The appointment feels like a gamble (though not of the Lennartson type), fingers crossed it works out.

Out of interest - Why are you suggesting a rebuild or am I reading it out of context?  That’s not what Tins and JL are suggesting at all.  They are suggesting the players are good enough, just that Nige wasn’t getting enough out of them.

• Like 3

On 11/11/2023 at 20:12, IAmNick said:

I just wish the idiot club just hadn't made that top 6 comment, they've made a rod for their own back there and put unnecessary pressure on Manning and given easy ammo to his detractors.

Generally I see managers as earning their keep if they're getting the squad performing at or preferably above their expected level - so our side (hah!), a top 6 side finishing in the top 6 is just par, it's not even impressive... it's expected. That's clearly pretty ridiculous as we all know, but that's what they've laid out. I feel for the bloke.

Wasn't going to take much away from this game but he's clearly got his work cut out - but it'll be evolution rather than revolution and compromises will have to be made on the playing style he wants I suspect.

The performance was poor but it's still an away point and could have been much worse. In the circumstance it was a bit of a banana skin game if anything... nobody would have been impressed if we won, disaster if we lost.

A couple of weeks now to get some of his processes and behaviours in place. Fingers crossed!

I just wish we, if sacking Person was on the cards anyway, had sorted all this in the summer.

Not mid way through the season in pure delusion.

Nothing against Manning, but the the sheer lack of strategic thinking by JL and BT is utterly staggering.

It's idiotic.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Fuber said:

I just wish we, if sacking Person was on the cards anyway, had sorted all this in the summer.

Not mid way through the season in pure delusion.

Nothing against Manning, but the the sheer lack of strategic thinking by JL and BT is utterly staggering.

It's idiotic.

Maybe Nige's unplanned health situation moved things along a bit.

Maybe the plan was to look where we were around Easter and decide then.

Who knows, but it's not necessarily idiotic. Events, dear boy, events...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

There was very little that could be taken from our past half a dozen games, or indeed from much of the season as a whole, to justify such optimism that we would have "100%" beaten QPR.

For starters, we haven't won back-to-back games in 32 attempts - all under Nige, in case you'd forgotten. But you are "100%" sure that after struggling to beat 10 man bottom-of-the-table Sheff Wed, we'd have comfortably secured another win? 

I mean it's just nonsense. Same as your comment earlier in the thread that Nige would have had us "challenging for the play-offs". Again, there was no evidence in performances so far this season that that was going to happen. Yes, the division is quite tight at the moment so it looks like we're within touching distance of them, but I haven't come across a single City fan who thinks we're a top 6 side based on performances so far this season. Not one. We're miles off it. 

I wish I could like this post a thousand times. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Undoubtedly the case. 

Yup, it's a pity though - I thought he was on the right lines and deserved more support than he got.  Very unlucky with the timing of his health problems. Hope it turns out well for him.

Not that I imagine that Nige was the easiest man for JL and BT to manage.

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not for me, no. I haven't seen any kind of material improvement in terms of overall performances this season versus last. We look better defensively, but worse going forward. Two goals scored in five games now; both from a central defender.

Nige was doing a decent job in tricky circumstances, let's not rewrite history and try and claim he was on the verge of some grand run of form that would have fired us into a promotion challenge. 

It was the right time for a change. As you say - he has done a decent job but change doesn’t always have to be once things go so far south you find yourself with a new manager having to rebuild 

I can remember a few years back - and excuse me if my memory is not to good - but Southampton getting rid of Nigel Adkins and appointing Poch at a time when they were doing relatively well. There was uproar at the time as Adkins was very well liked - but Poch developed Saints quite a lot and took the club forward 

Now I’m not saying Manning is like Pochettino - I’m simply saying now was the time to try something different to try and take us up a notch 

As you have said - I seen nothing in the performances so far to indicate we would have kicked on under Pearson this year 

• Like 1

Oxford fan here. I've been reading your comments with interest, just as some of you have been reading ours. I'm disappointed that Manning has gone to you as it looked like he was building something successful at Oxford. Of course we'll never know how the rest of the season would have gone. I thought I'd put you in the picture about the time he joined us last season. Karl Robinson had done a decent job for the most part and almost got us promoted in the Covid season, but for various reasons he lost interest or got distracted, and combined with some poor transfer windows he left us in the lurch. He should really have been sacked earlier than he was but we're not a sacking club. We gave Liam Manning a chance, but with an option for either party to cancel the contract if we were relegated. He and Chris Hogg immediately set to work in training, making sure that each player knew exactly what their job and position was, and what to do out of possession. He made us hard to beat although we didn't look like scoring, which resulted in several draws, some against the top teams. These points kept us just above the relegation places. Then we had a couple of crunch fixtures against teams in the bottom four, and we absolutely outplayed them and won them comfortably.

For this season, even with the same core of the team in terms of defence and midfield, he got us playing some decent football and, after the first week of losing to Cambridge and then you when we started to have our doubts, the results and performances came together. His teams like to play out from the back, including the keeper, and this can result in a lot of passing between defence and midfield, but generally this has the result of moving opposition players around and opening up space for a midfielder to turn and attack. We initially struggled against the sides who sat deep and defended with 10 men behind the ball, such as at Cambridge, but we worked out how to play against those sides. Against the sides who also like to retain possession (Barnsley, Derby, even Bristol Rovers) we didn't have that much of the ball but we pressed high up and we were very quick and incisive with the counter-attack.

I'd expect your first few games to be quite tight with an emphasis on defence and not giving the ball away too cheaply. You probably saw that against QPR. I think he'll set you up for the counter-attack against the better sides. Over time (at least 10 games) you'll likely start to see more of his style of playing. Be prepared to get frustrated if you think the ball should go up the pitch at the earliest opportunity, as that's not how his sides play. Even at second in the league and winning most games, some of our home fans were moaning about the ball being pinged around at the back.

It'll be interesting to see how he does. It's a big risk for him and for Bristol City, but it's one that could pay off. I just think that if he gets you into the play-off positions and a PL club needs a new manager, he will jump ship just as quickly as he did with us.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 10

Already providing division and some revision around Pearson’s last few months in charge it seems, interesting. I really hope to god we get good results and play good, ‘different’ football in the next batch of games after this break or it’s going to get a bit ugly, and damn right deflating imo. 

Tanner & Hogg today rebutting/refuting talks of pushing for promotion, Tinnion et al being clear that Pearson & co went because we’re expecting to be pushing for too 6, fans clearly seeing the squad is not equipped for that. No money gonna be available in Jan. Can’t personally see there being any reality where Conway signs a new deal this season. 

Interesting, and concerning/exciting in equal measure, times ahead. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Already providing division and some revision around Pearson’s last few months in charge it seems, interesting. I really hope to god we get good results and play good, ‘different’ football in the next batch of games after this break or it’s going to get a bit ugly, and damn right deflating imo. 

Tanner & Hogg today rebutting/refuting talks of pushing for promotion, Tinnion et al being clear that Pearson & co went because we’re expecting to be pushing for too 6, fans clearly seeing the squad is not equipped for that. No money gonna be available in Jan. Can’t personally see there being any reality where Conway signs a new deal this season. 

Also think the loss of Alex Scott, whether known or not, whether inured or not, was a big impact / consideration on playing style.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I hope for different football as well and positive results to come with it. But I think it’s going to take longer than a few games to get their message and play style across. Hopefully sooner rather than later though.

A couple of bad results shouldn’t result in things getting ugly, after a few weeks. Think this is going to take some time if it works out and patience is needed.

Hopefully Conway can see the potential in this football club more than its fans 😂

6 hours ago, Kibs said:

Let’s remember who we are playing??? 🤣

You talk as if we are prime Man City!!

Saturday was crap. No doubt. Don’t disagree but that’s football. 

QPR are sooooo bad that they nearly took points off Leicester in their last home game. Despite playing the last 35 minutes with 10 men, losing 1-2 to a late goal. 

I fully expect QPR looked at it and thought, bang average Bristol City next, what a great chance to get a win under the new manager.

Sorry to disappoint you but we are an average championship side, with players injured, players coming back to fitness, players out of form, a team out of form, not full of confidence and we’ve struggled to score goals all season……so how can you be so sure we win that with NP in charge?  

You can’t. Absolute nonsense. We have no divine right to beat anybody.

There is so much more to it which you refuse to acknowledge because it doesn’t suit your agenda and your view of football is so simplistic. 

I'm sorry that you consider someone having an opinion as them having an agenda. 

You're talking as if we played prime Man City!! Reality check for you, we played a team that has one of the worst defensive records in the league. We barely troubled them! 

We've one of the best in the league for goal conceded so please excuse me if I'm not jumping for joy about looking solid defensively against QPR.

Sounds like you're just using a lot of excuses. We had a team more than good enough to beat QPR and I'd be making these same comments if Pearson was in charge and we failed to beat QPR.

My concern which you label an agenda is that we had a settled team, settled way of playing. Play like we did against Swansea, Hull, Plymouth etc and it's an easy 3 points against QPR. 

My concern is that we have players saying there has been lots of changes since Manning came in, we have the management saying its going to take time blah blah blah. It feels like we have gone backwards to gamble on going forwards and that its now possible this season is another write off as we once again rebuild, when we didn't need to rebuild. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, UncleRed said:

I hope for different football as well and positive results to come with it. But I think it’s going to take longer than a few games to get their message and play style across. Hopefully sooner rather than later though.

A couple of bad results shouldn’t result in things getting ugly, after a few weeks. Think this is going to take some time if it works out and patience is needed.

Hopefully Conway can see the potential in this football club more than its fans 😂

I think Tommy will see the potential in the £££ from the clubs sniffing around him more clearly than the club potential/fan views!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, UncleRed said:

If you're hoping for different style of football you've not been listening. The club have set the system and LM, or anyone else, has to work within that. He needs to adapt to us while getting top 6 this season. 

Tinnion and JL have told us that. 

Just now, Randy Marsh II said:

If you're hoping for different style of football you've not been listening. The club have set the system and LM, or anyone else, has to work within that. He needs to adapt to us while getting top 6 this season. 

If you think NP has been playing the system BT has been saying then you’ve not been watching. They may have tried to play it, but have failed. 90% of the time it’s sitting back and countering with are apparent bundles of pace. This has worked some times and I can see why. But it isn’t going to get you up the table much if they kept playing like that.

LM was hired and apparently (I don’t know much about LM) his playstyle fits what the board wants the team to play.

5 minutes ago, Randy Marsh II said:

I seem to recall Tinnion talking about philosophy, not systems - basically being front footed, playing forward and attacking…..which is what every wants isn’t it? 

1 minute ago, Kibs said:

I seem to recall Tinnion talking about philosophy, not systems - basically being front footed, playing forward and attacking…..which is what every wants isn’t it? 

I thought so, and we haven’t been witnessing it yet. Not consistently enough anyway I don’t think.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

My concern is that we have players saying there has been lots of changes since Manning came in, we have the management saying its going to take time blah blah blah. It feels like we have gone backwards to gamble on going forwards and that its now possible this season is another write off as we once again rebuild, when we didn't need to rebuild. 

It certainly is a gamble..

Sometimes you do have to go backwards to go forwards.  But there are some interesting points being made in support of Manning allowing him to go backwards to go forward that weren’t deemed acceptable when Nige was having to do likewise.

A bit of consistency wouldn’t go amiss.

My view is we have to give it time though, just like I gave Nige time….they are very different scenarios though.  But I do agree it shouldn’t be a rebuild.  I really don’t get where that is coming from.  It’s been positioned very differently by JL and Tins.  They’ve positioned it as continuation.

I guess our first real look-back will be at the end of the Jan window.

I’m open-minded with a hint of positiveness because of how JL and Tins positioned it.  Think it was @Sheltons Army who coined the phrase “he’s been handpicked”, so I’m going with that it’s onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BucksOx said:

Oxford fan here. I've been reading your comments with interest, just as some of you have been reading ours. I'm disappointed that Manning has gone to you as it looked like he was building something successful at Oxford. Of course we'll never know how the rest of the season would have gone. I thought I'd put you in the picture about the time he joined us last season. Karl Robinson had done a decent job for the most part and almost got us promoted in the Covid season, but for various reasons he lost interest or got distracted, and combined with some poor transfer windows he left us in the lurch. He should really have been sacked earlier than he was but we're not a sacking club. We gave Liam Manning a chance, but with an option for either party to cancel the contract if we were relegated. He and Chris Hogg immediately set to work in training, making sure that each player knew exactly what their job and position was, and what to do out of possession. He made us hard to beat although we didn't look like scoring, which resulted in several draws, some against the top teams. These points kept us just above the relegation places. Then we had a couple of crunch fixtures against teams in the bottom four, and we absolutely outplayed them and won them comfortably.

For this season, even with the same core of the team in terms of defence and midfield, he got us playing some decent football and, after the first week of losing to Cambridge and then you when we started to have our doubts, the results and performances came together. His teams like to play out from the back, including the keeper, and this can result in a lot of passing between defence and midfield, but generally this has the result of moving opposition players around and opening up space for a midfielder to turn and attack. We initially struggled against the sides who sat deep and defended with 10 men behind the ball, such as at Cambridge, but we worked out how to play against those sides. Against the sides who also like to retain possession (Barnsley, Derby, even Bristol Rovers) we didn't have that much of the ball but we pressed high up and we were very quick and incisive with the counter-attack.

I'd expect your first few games to be quite tight with an emphasis on defence and not giving the ball away too cheaply. You probably saw that against QPR. I think he'll set you up for the counter-attack against the better sides. Over time (at least 10 games) you'll likely start to see more of his style of playing. Be prepared to get frustrated if you think the ball should go up the pitch at the earliest opportunity, as that's not how his sides play. Even at second in the league and winning most games, some of our home fans were moaning about the ball being pinged around at the back.

It'll be interesting to see how he does. It's a big risk for him and for Bristol City, but it's one that could pay off. I just think that if he gets you into the play-off positions and a PL club needs a new manager, he will jump ship just as quickly as he did with us.

One thing that does concern me is his commitment I've heard this off a few people, Now you say if a premier League come in he will be gone,Ok that's understandable people want to progress but us fans at Bristol city are getting a little fed up of Bristol city being a stepping stone for a player mostly to progress and move on let alone a coach to use it as a platform further his career. We will still be a sitting duck just swimming around mid table in the championship knowing every season a quality youngster will gone etc etc It's getting very tedious and now Hogg and players stepping back the promotion talk 🤔 Good luck for the season because it's going to be interesting at BS3 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You're talking as if we played prime Man City!! Reality check for you, we played a team that has one of the worst defensive records in the league. We barely troubled them! 

We've one of the best in the league for goal conceded so please excuse me if I'm not jumping for joy about looking solid defensively against QPR.

Sounds like you're just using a lot of excuses. We had a team more than good enough to beat QPR and I'd be making these same comments if Pearson was in charge and we failed to beat QPR.

My concern which you label an agenda is that we had a settled team, settled way of playing. Play like we did against Swansea, Hull, Plymouth etc and it's an easy 3 points against QPR. 

Well, I don’t agree with much you say, but I can see why you view it as a gamble WSM 😁 I do agree here, it is a big gamble, and not one that I would have taken, or felt was needed.  

Unfortunately, we can’t change that now, it’s done, he’s gone, so I might as well support the new man 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest - Why are you suggesting a rebuild or am I reading it out of context?  That’s not what Tins and JL are suggesting at all.  They are suggesting the players are good enough, just that Nige wasn’t getting enough out of them.

Yet the manager played a completely different game on Sat which meant the players looked lost. I’m not convinced at all, by interviews, or what I saw as first impressions. But good luck to all. 

41 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Situation summed up perfectly. 

I have replied rather than 'thanking' you. 😉

But thank you. 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BucksOx said:

With regard to the last paragraph, I don't doubt he would like to jump ship at the first sight of an opportunity in the league above. I don't necessary see a path though where a PL team take on a decent manager from the Champ quite in the same way that Champ would from L1. Maybe Rangers/Celtic a la Beale.

• Like 1