IGNORED

FBC Podcast: QPR [A] the verdict .... let's no overreact after just one game

headhunter

Was all about results when Nige was in charge, now it's changed to just wanting to be entertained with fast attacking football, even if we lose.

Tbf though, they do bring people on who have quite differing opinions to how they see things, so credit to them for that.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Get behind the new manager and team absolutely.

Will be interesting to see what slack is cut should we falter under Manning by FBC. What are expectations, maybe for a future pod (apologies if already covered).

I think this is where people get confused. 

Undoubtedly we are all behind Manning and the team. 

However I doubt there are many people that are behind the powers that be at the club. 

What I saw yesterday isn't Mannings fault. It's the fault of the owners who have brought in a Head Coach that didn't fit the job description. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

However I doubt there are many people that are behind the powers that be at the club. 

What I saw yesterday isn't Mannings fault. It's the fault of the owners who have brought in a Head Coach that didn't fit the job description. 

What was the job description?

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

He does fit the job description, whether the job description is right is completely different 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, daored said:

He does fit the job description, whether the job description is right is completely different 

Apologies if I misunderstood that job description that the club said it was. Which was essentially to carry on how we have been playing, but better. 

Manning never fitted that style. That was obvious from the first link with him. 

• Flames 1

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Apologies if I misunderstood that job description that the club said it was. Which was essentially to carry on how we have been playing, but better. 

In my opinion we haven’t been playing front foot, attacking football.

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Front foot, pressing, attacking football wasn't it? 

After three days and one game you’ve come to the conclusion LM doesn’t fit that description? Fair enough.

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Personally disagree , how I see it is the club hierarchy see this squad as underachieving under Pearson and were effectively looking for a modern , on the grass coach. They were looking fir someone who could gain an extra percentage from the players with a little more quality. Not saying I agree with them or that manning is the right person but in terms of what they’ve stated he ticks a lot of boxes 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2015 said:

I'm sorry I have been a long term fan of the podcast, but I have disagreed with a lot of the stances over the last week. Ok be positive but at least be consistent.

Most of the guests on the pod were negative about NP from the moment he took over and now you're telling people not to overreact and support the new head coach. 

Wait till after the Boro game and if we lose the wisdom on that podcast will be saying wrong to sack Pearson , too inexperienced blah blah . The comment that should see an improvement in the next game is like Jesus turning water into wine 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, UncleRed said:

In my opinion we haven’t been playing front foot, attacking football.

After three days and one game you’ve come to the conclusion LM doesn’t fit that description? Fair enough.

Where as I felt when we had a fit squad, we were. 

I've come to the conclusion based on Mannings history and what I saw yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

Nailed their colours to the mast?

Sorry fella, but when is it wrong to wish a new manager well. We did the same with Pearson and Holden.

Do you want Manning to fail?

Good comment Mark.

FFS, I've read it all now from some on here suggesting we're now towing the party line!!!

There are comments at either end of the right/wrong spectrum regarding Nigel being fired and Manning being appointed.

The fact that this pod has created two pages of debate on a wet Sunday in November is testimony to it achieving its purpose of creating a platform for the expression of different views.

I have never professed to be a tactical expert akin to DaveFevs but when he's on as a guest I welcome his forensic analysis. I've yet to see a battery of criticism towards Neil Sutton's comments when he's been on. I think a lot of the antipathy towards Ian is not so much what he says but the "superior tone" of his delivery.

We must be doing something right as we're nudging 1500 downloads for some of our episodes - would be interested to know how that stacks up against 3Peaps and OSIB whose numbers don't appear to be in the public domain like ours,

• Like 5

Just my opinion, but having listened to some (but not all) of the various podcasts it strikes me that they have gone from being at times constructively critical (and sometimes off the wall crazy), to a position where in one instance they are little more than a mouthpiece for the club, and the others are employing hindsight as if it was foresight.

I accept they are all doing what they think is the right way to approach covering the club we all love and support, but can’t help thinking that a bit of self reflection might help gain rather than lose listeners.

Is there room for a fanzine type podcast, you know a bit of Micky taking, the odd joke, but an underlying concern for all things bristol city, and addressing fans genuine issues.

What they all need to take on board is that we are all (them included) amateurs, don’t take yourselves so seriously and do your best to involve as many fans as possible.

After all if your frightened to offend a guest from the club with a genuine concern or comment from a fan why invite them on?

10 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Good comment Mark.

FFS, I've read it all now from some on here suggesting we're now towing the party line!!!

There are comments at either end of the right/wrong spectrum regarding Nigel being fired and Manning being appointed.

The fact that this pod has created two pages of debate on a wet Sunday in November is testimony to it achieving its purpose of creating a platform for the expression of different views.

I have never professed to be a tactical expert akin to DaveFevs but when he's on as a guest I welcome his forensic analysis. I've yet to see a battery of criticism towards Neil Sutton's comments when he's been on. I think a lot of the antipathy towards Ian is not so much what he says but the "superior tone" of his delivery.

We must be doing something right as we're nudging 1500 downloads for some of our episodes - would be interested to know how that stacks up against 3Peaps and OSIB whose numbers don't appear to be in the public domain like ours,

I don’t think anyone could accuse FBC of being anything other than independent, Dave.

I think the discussions on non-football stuff, e.g. sackings, finances, ownership is where the guests have tonnes of experience of watching City but also bring their own real-world experiences are where it is at its best.

The football stuff will always create differences of opinion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Nailed their colours to the mast?

Sorry fella, but when is it wrong to wish a new manager well. We did the same with Pearson and Holden.

Do you want Manning to fail?

It was more than wishing him well. 

It was creaming over him. 

No I want Manning to be a roaring success because that means we're successful. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It was more than wishing him well. 

It was creaming over him. 

No I want Manning to be a roaring success because that means we're successful. 

Oh, I get it. We need to curb our enthusiasm! Why didn't you say so?

Perhaps you'd like to explain to the forum what you meant by 'creaming'?

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Creaming = can't contain excitement. 

Your enthusiasm has clouded your balanced view it seems. 

If I can't be overly enthusiastic occasionally about the football team I love then I may as well give up.

But thanks for the advice and keep watching our podcast.

• Like 1

Never bothered with 3 Peaps, as people have said it seems a bit too close to the club. 

I listened to OSIB for a couple of years, and really enjoyed it. The ‘Cider With’ episodes are excellent.

I wonder why the club are less willing to record any content with you boys now? @petehinton any ideas?

I can’t pinpoint the exact moment I moved across, but I started listening to FBC a while ago & never looked back. I find that they agree less on there with each other & whilst Ian frustrates me a lot of the time, I still enjoy listening to each side of the debate.

In regards to the Manning/Pearson stuff being mentioned, I feel like Manning will have a shorter period of grace from a lot of the fans because a lot of the fans didn’t want Pearson gone, and that’s a rarity when a football manager is sacked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Spot on.

In addition to your comment about Rob seeing every game whereas I only see home games in person these days, I’d also add it’s an opinion.

Not one I share but one he’s absolutely entitled to, especially considering his commitment to watching the club.

Also, without resorting to semantics, he’s said the most “clueless” we have looked, not “the worst performance” which could certainly be interpreted as meaning they don’t understand what they’re being asked to do, which after so little time with Manning is perhaps understandable.

Quote from @Olé   in response to me saying to another poster on Saturday that it wasn't the worst we've played. It was a very "popular post" in that almost 40 people agreed with him:

"Taking account of the opposition, today was the worst football we’ve played in 18 months and respectfully, I have been at every single one of the matches, freezing cold Tuesday nights in Huddersfield and all.

Birmingham and Reading away last season run it close but both were better teams than QPR who even objectively are one of the worst Championship teams I’ve ever seen and had absolutely nothing about them.

The game was there for us on a plate, QPR looked like a team waiting to lose again and yet we ‘suddenly’ managed to look confused and scared and that is solely as a result of the change the club decided to make.

Of course it is “far too early” to judge Manning, but if the owners choose to press the reset button mid season then it is never too early to judge that decision and on the basis of yesterday it is an act of self-sabotage."

Of course when @Olé pens one of his matchday summaries- some who have been to the same match see things differently. And definitely question his player ratings. Because football is all about opinions and how many times do we hear " you were watching  a different match".

I thought the performance against L1 Lincoln when we had the likes of Semenyo , Scott & Conway on the pitch but lost 3-1 at home was a worse performance than drawing 0-0 at QPR . If he is right that it was the "worst performance in 18 months" yet still resulted in a draw and with a clean sheet then one could argue that it bodes well if LM can get in a good performance. But that's probably Heresy for some who can't let Nige go.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Quote from @Olé   in response to me saying to another poster on Saturday that it wasn't the worst we've played. It was a very "popular post" in that almost 40 people agreed with him:

"Taking account of the opposition, today was the worst football we’ve played in 18 months and respectfully, I have been at every single one of the matches, freezing cold Tuesday nights in Huddersfield and all.

Birmingham and Reading away last season run it close but both were better teams than QPR who even objectively are one of the worst Championship teams I’ve ever seen and had absolutely nothing about them.

The game was there for us on a plate, QPR looked like a team waiting to lose again and yet we ‘suddenly’ managed to look confused and scared and that is solely as a result of the change the club decided to make.

Of course it is “far too early” to judge Manning, but if the owners choose to press the reset button mid season then it is never too early to judge that decision and on the basis of yesterday it is an act of self-sabotage."

Of course when @Olé pens one of his matchday summaries- some who have been to the same match see things differently. And definitely question his player ratings. Because football is all about opinions and how many times do we hear " you were watching  a different match".

I thought the performance against L1 Lincoln when we had the likes of Semenyo , Scott & Conway on the pitch but lost 3-1 at home was a worse performance than drawing 0-0 at QPR . If he is right that it was the "worst performance in 18 months" yet still resulted in a draw and with a clean sheet then one could argue that it bodes well if LM can get in a good performance. But that's probably Heresy for some who can't let Nige go.

Like you say, it’s all subjective.  I guess there’s quite a bit of scope between “the worst” and “one of the worst” too, and we all see things differently.  Also, with QPR being poor, it probably felt worse too.

Perversely, we got a “deserved” point.  Funny old game.

My worst game since I started going to watch again was City v Sheffield United in 13/14.  We lost 1-0 (Flint og summed that up).  Both sides were dreadful, the only bit of quality on the pitch was a young Harry Maguire.

I do like Ole’s post-match reports from away games, they do give a sense that you could’ve been there.

14 hours ago, headhunter said:

Good comment Mark.

I dont agree with much of what Ian says but I think he is great on the podcast - his superior tone as you described it makes him a bit like a pantomime villain, but I always enioy it. Most people I know support Man U or Liverpool so its great to have a choice of good podcasts that focus on Bristol City. Keep them coming and thanks to all for making them happen.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Never bothered with 3 Peaps, as people have said it seems a bit too close to the club. 

I listened to OSIB for a couple of years, and really enjoyed it. The ‘Cider With’ episodes are excellent.

I wonder why the club are less willing to record any content with you boys now? @petehinton any ideas?

I can’t pinpoint the exact moment I moved across, but I started listening to FBC a while ago & never looked back. I find that they agree less on there with each other & whilst Ian frustrates me a lot of the time, I still enjoy listening to each side of the debate.

In regards to the Manning/Pearson stuff being mentioned, I feel like Manning will have a shorter period of grace from a lot of the fans because a lot of the fans didn’t want Pearson gone, and that’s a rarity when a football manager is sacked. 

Never been given a reason as far as I’m aware. As a guess, would be because it might result in stuff being said/discussed that the club aren’t happy with or don’t want in the public domain.  

Again a total guess, but I’d imagine the Ashton interview with Twentyman was such a horrific car crash (and rightly so) that it put an end to anything that the club might feel slightly uneasy/uncomfortable with. 

Hopefully changes at some point as we (Stan) had some cool stuff in the pipeline/planned up that would’ve been great for fans to hear.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Never been given a reason as far as I’m aware. As a guess, would be because it might result in stuff being said/discussed that the club aren’t happy with or don’t want in the public domain.  

Again a total guess, but I’d imagine the Ashton interview with Twentyman was such a horrific car crash (and rightly so) that it put an end to anything that the club might feel slightly uneasy/uncomfortable with. 

Hopefully changes at some point as we (Stan) had some cool stuff in the pipeline/planned up that would’ve been great for fans to hear.  

Personally I like the fact you’re not aligned to the club in any way and retain the ability to be critical and objective about the club. Even if you did get interviews with them I’d like to think it’d be well balanced. 

I did enjoy @Shtanley’s appearance on RobinsTV that time though, was hilarious! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Isn't that exactly what we should be doing ?

It depends really on your stance and feelings with the club. I'm not shooting him down but I won't be at the gate, I won't be buying any merch etc and this isn't Mannings fault, it's the boards. 

Many fans want to make their feelings clear, Crayola Jon said the fans will be there regardless so he no longer cares how they feel so long as they are there doing as he wants them to do, paying money and filling seats. It's hardly a surprise if many of the fans don't want to back Manning because they feel like the board don't care about them and Manning is their choice, it's unfortunate but we only have the board to blame. 

I, like all of our fans, want to see us do well, however there comes a point where you make a stand or you accept the club as it is with all of its failures, the only failures being the board as everyone has been replaced for the most part. 

I'm not financially backing this club anymore, not until Jon is out of the picture and many other fans obviously feel the same which gives the impression that it's Mannings fault, which it isn't, but we can't back Manning fully without also backing the board. 

Classic Ian this ep.

Ian ‘ we can’t judge the guy on one game…gotta give him time..OTIB overreact’

Ian ‘If I don’t see a better performance against a Boro (twice the team of QPR) I’ll start asking questions’

Another myth that seems to be accepted as fact on the pod is that Naismith can’t play at the back as he’s beaten in the air too easily. I’m sure Naismith was top of duels won in the league at some point (maybe @Davefevs could confirm)

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

but we can't back Manning fully without also backing the board. 

Of course we can, and that’s exactly what many are doing. 

Football fans are so fickle. Do you really think that if we won our next 6 (we won’t have course, because we can’t score goals) that people would still be complaining about how Pearson was treated on here?

This place, and AG would be buzzing, and everyone would be loving Liam Manning. 

And knowing the type of person Nigel Pearson is, I suspect he’d be delighted to see all his hard work and progress continue. 

17 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be fair, I saw it from Rob - @Olé - on Twitter. His context was that although we may have played badly in other games - I have no desire to revisit Brum or Reading last season for example - this was against a very poor team in very poor form, and we were in a better place than those performances. So it was the combo of us expected to be better, and a weak opponent.

Rob is one that attends every game and he tends to give a well reasoned and balanced analysis post each away game. Also comes up from London for every home game. I’d imagine there is some colouring by the disillusionment with the club at present but inherently he’s quite a balanced guy.

Rob was bang on! It was dreadful against a side who hadn’t won at home all season and look set for the drop (they were poor). We couldn’t string a pass together for majority of the game, not one decent effort that came remotely close, defensively yes it was fine (more down to Nigel transforming that side) but it was clear we’ve brought in a manager to play a different way yet doesn’t have the players to do that, when the board actually had visions of him improving what we had to get play offs this season. Not gonna happen, I had an Arsenal mate watching with QPR fans, met him after and he was shocked at how poor both sides were, couldn’t believe we thought we had any chance of play offs. 

Give the pod a break as just fellow supporters having their opinions in their own time. 

It would be a dull place if we agreed about everything & you always have to right to not listen if it winds you up.  Some people have proper tantrums if their opinions  are different from theirs.  

• Like 4