IGNORED

Jay Dasilva called up to the Wales squad

• The title was changed to Jay Dasilva called up to the Wales squad
44 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Played for England in 6 different age groups. Probably qualified via a great great grandparent or some rubbish. Embarrassing.

IMG_6480.png

Not sure why it's 'embarrassing'. I'm English, and if I was a footballer my first choice would obviously be to represent England. However, if that wasn't an option, I'd be delighted to honour my grandparents' memories by representing their country as I know how proud they'd be. 

• Like 13
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

Sums them up ffs

Joke nation.

They’ll accept anyone English to try & bolster their squad.

Weird how when we play Cardiff & Swansea they go on about how they hate the English, yet their national team is full of pretend Welshman.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, I knew. A good opportunity for him.

Probably even fewer people know that Alex Scott is also eligible to play for Wales... 

Thought it was Northern Ireland?

Do Wales actually have eligibility rules?

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

And England steal the cream of the talent that qualifies for any of the others.

Exactly, Declan Rice being the most obvious recent example. Made 3 senior appearances for the ROI. 

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Because they're all joke nations.

Most sensible thing is to just have a UK team and be done with it.

I mean, that's a terrible idea!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

And England steal the cream of the talent that qualifies for any of the others.

Because they're all joke nations.

Most sensible thing is to just have a UK team and be done with it.

The example given below is Declan Rice,  who was born In Kingston-On-Thames.

So we “stole” a player who was actually born in England?

The only English player of recent times not born here is Raheem Stirling who moved to England when he was 5, went to school here, has lived his entire life here since.

Not exactly like trying to use some long often dead grandparent to play football for a country you have no connection with, is it?

Wales & the Republic (the latter far more in the past than now, TBF) make a mockery of international football by having a squad where the majority were born in another country, in many cases they have never visited their “home” country unless playing against Cardiff or Swansea.

Arsene Wenger once said all professional footballers should declare their nation when signing their first contract at 18 & never change it.
Wonder how many “Welsh” players that would leave?

• Thanks 1

Good luck to him. 

I do find it weird that lads who have supported England all their life, born and bred here suddenly play for another Country, especially a rival. I would also feel the same way if a Player selected England despite England not being their actual nationality. Sadly, it's more a career choice nowadays.

13 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Not sure why it's 'embarrassing'. I'm English, and if I was a footballer my first choice would obviously be to represent England. However, if that wasn't an option, I'd be delighted to honour my grandparents' memories by representing their country as I know how proud they'd be. 

Was thinking exactly the same, I'd absolutely represent my grandmother's country. England would be my first choice though

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I mean, that's a terrible idea!

I'm only replying once, I put this thread on ignore but apparently I still get notifications from an ignored thread. I've debated this topic before and I know I'm in a minority and I know "it won't happen". I've no interest in going over it again on here...although I'd love a debate on it in person over 1 to 7 pints as that would actually be fun.

Anyway, I am pro the pooling of the resources of the entire nation, unifying the fans, creating a national team that could play at Hampden, The Millennium Stadium, Wembley, and others, removing the unnecessary competition between parts of a whole and ending up with a team that actually represents a country rather than four that represent cultural regions. I don't see it as a terrible idea at all.

Difficult to implement in the face of stubborn and encouraged "nationalism", perhaps yes, but personally I think that doing away with invented antagonism between England/Scotland/Wales and NI would do an awful lot to improve the country as a whole.