IGNORED

Motivation of Fans

Port Said Red

Watching the U21's the other night I got into conversation with some family and friends of other players in the crowd.

I was surprised (I probably shouldn't have been really) to find that they didn't know who Rob Atkinson was other than "he's first team isn't he?". 

I realised that they didn't really have an interest in City, other than their sons or friends playing for us and in at least one case, had no interest in football. 

I know there have been a few people over the years who have stated that games are more a chance to get together with friends, than about the football, so I wondered if there are lots of people who have had an interest thrust upon them, rather than seeking out?

An interesting point.

I'm an irregular visitor to A.G. these days but what i have noticed over the last few seasons is just how many people sitting around me seem to be more interested in what is on their mobile phones and/or going down to the concourse for 'refreshments' a good 5+ minutes before half time and coming back a good 5 minutes after half time.

This might well be a reflection of the dire football match being played out on the pitch but i always think it rather strange that quite a lot of people pay good money to go to a football match and then seem more interested in everything but the football.

Albeit for a slightly different reason than you're suggesting, i came to the same sort of conclusion a good while back. 

• Like 8

When I lived in central London I was a member of Middlesex Cricket Club; this is very different from the MCC, it is open to anyone and us really cheap. I think £75 back then for the whole season of county games.

My main reason was that it was an oasis of quiet and greenery in a busy city and it was lovely to sit in the mostly empty stands on a warm sunny day sipping a beer.

I knew who Mike Gatting and Phil Tufnell were but couldn't have named another player, though did cheer or clap as appropriate.

The cricket was an excuse for spending the day drinking beer somewhere nice in the sunshine.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

An interesting point.

I'm an irregular visitor to A.G. these days but what i have noticed over the last few seasons is just how many people sitting around me seem to be more interested in what is on their mobile phones and/or going down to the concourse for 'refreshments' a good 5+ minutes before half time and coming back a good 5 minutes after half time.

This might well be a reflection of the dire football match being played out on the pitch but i always think it rather strange that quite a lot of people pay good money to go to a football match and then seem more interested in everything but the football.

Albeit for a slightly different reason than you're suggesting, i came to the same sort of conclusion a good while back. 

Bit of a tangent but Saturday was the first time ever watching a football match when I've nipped out to go to the toilet just before half-time rather than waiting until the end of the half. It was partly how bad the crowd movement gets at Loftus Road with so little space to move around but mostly how shite the actual game was. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Bit of a tangent but Saturday was the first time ever watching a football match when I've nipped out to go to the toilet just before half-time rather than waiting until the end of the half. It was partly how bad the crowd movement gets at Loftus Road with so little space to move around but mostly how shite the actual game was. 

I posted exactly the same thing on another thread.
I never leave with the game going on, but it being Loftus Rd and the state of the game I nipped out early. Virtually empty so grabbed a pis too. Last time it was a real struggle to reach the toile at HT.

8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I posted exactly the same thing on another thread.
I never leave with the game going on, but it being Loftus Rd and the state of the game I nipped out early. Virtually empty so grabbed a pis too. Last time it was a real struggle to reach the toile at HT.

To be honest, I should have gone two or three minutes earlier than as there were already a few people who had had the same idea as me queuing for food and drink so I didn't bother getting anything. Usually I'd never walk out during a game as I'd be worried I'd miss something but Saturday was the first time I've ever decided there was sod-all chance of anything interesting happening and carried on. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

To be honest, I should have gone two or three minutes earlier than as there were already a few people who had had the same idea as me queuing for food and drink so I didn't bother getting anything. Usually I'd never walk out during a game as I'd be worried I'd miss something but Saturday was the first time I've ever decided there was sod-all chance of anything interesting happening and carried on. 

Whenever you have loads leaving early from a sewn on nil-nil draw the scoreboard operators should wait until they have mostly gone and then put a big message "Everyone please give a huge cheer in 10, 9, 8...." in order to wind them.up.

• Haha 5
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Whenever you have loads leaving early from a sewn on nil-nil draw the scoreboard operators should wait until they have mostly gone and then put a big message "Everyone please give a huge cheer in 10, 9, 8...." in order to wind them.up.

With the screens showing the game in the concourse these days it wouldn't have the same effect unfortunately.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

When I lived in central London I was a member of Middlesex Cricket Club; this is very different from the MCC, it is open to anyone and us really cheap. I think £75 back then for the whole season of county games.

My main reason was that it was an oasis of quiet and greenery in a busy city and it was lovely to sit in the mostly empty stands on a warm sunny day sipping a beer.

I knew who Mike Gatting and Phil Tufnell were but couldn't have named another player, though did cheer or clap as appropriate.

The cricket was an excuse for spending the day drinking beer somewhere nice in the sunshine.

I took advantage of the Halloween game offer for City ST holders to see the Flyers for a £10. I enjoyed it, it was my first real live basketball game. My wife loved it though and since going we have watched two of their games online. I am so pleased to see her really taking interest in a sport that I am going to take her again, so it looks like I will be going to basketball regularly although I only have a passing knowledge of what's actually going on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

An interesting point.

I know the feeling. Several years ago I started taking my son and daughter to watch games.  After a while I realised that my daughter was only interested in buying a burger and wandering around, so I gave up taking her.  Luckily my son had an interest and still attends matches.

12 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I took advantage of the Halloween game offer for City ST holders to see the Flyers for a £10. I enjoyed it, it was my first real live basketball game. My wife loved it though and since going we have watched two of their games online. I am so pleased to see her really taking interest in a sport that I am going to take her again, so it looks like I will be going to basketball regularly although I only have a passing knowledge of what's actually going on.

I went to an ice hockey game in Aviemore when you there skiing decades ago, I enjoyed it as I have the sports I've watched in the US.

If it's got a good atmosphere and the players move about a lot then most sports are decent if you're actually there rather than watching it on the telly.

The prime example for me is horse racing, it's a fantastic day out but full as ditchwater when watching it on the telly unless you have a bet on as for the Grand National sweepstakes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

An interesting point.

This is a recent phenomenon & not remotely confined to Ashton Gate.

Go to the cricket (not just T20, even a Test) & people are seemingly unable to sit still, forever getting up & buying food & especially drink.

Gigs now are constantly punctuated by people filming them rather than actually watching.

It isn’t anything to do with the football on offer (good or bad) but what appears to be a cultural issue post pandemic that large numbers of people cannot concentrate & watch something for any significant time.

Don’t get it but have realised I’m now in the minority on this.

If I was going to spend a significant part of the game in the concourse drinking then I’d go to the pub instead.

As for the original point if you had a son who was a decent footballer but City weren’t your team then that makes far more sense.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Gigs now are constantly punctuated by people filming them rather than actually watching.

I have seen such and find it unbelievable.

I want to be there watching it and in the moment, I remember my best gigs very well without the need of recording.

Bands should have a "no filming" policy, I think Placebo does for one, with anyone breaching that ejected.

I also see this at reports of street protests, maybe 20% protesting and 80% filming.

It's bonkers: try living in the moment people. It's life and not a documentary.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

People pay their money, they can do what they like.

To some, city is a passion. To others, it’s a few hours out the house with mates and having a few beers.

I can’t understanding the judgement of others when people want to leave early, leave at half time or whatever. A couple of guys who I go with have to leave at 4:45pm as its the difference between getting home by 5:30/6pm or 7/7:30pm.

They are no less a fan for missing the last few minutes.

Personally I prefer the drinks and social as much as the football. A mate of mine is coming to the Sunderland game on the 16th December. We are going for a few drinks before and after the game. There is a very good chance we won’t be watching much of the football in between.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I bet it wasn’t Wetherspoons price beer , on the other hand I bet you weren’t around Wetherspoon type clientele 😂

New world I’m afraid , nothing to do with football or city . If you took peoples phones away I swear some people would end it all , even me at home and I’m well past 20 😂😂😂😂 hardly ever watch tv always on my iPad researching things , watching a vlog or arguing ( I mean debating ) with people on forums 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, redkev said:

I bet it wasn’t Wetherspoons price beer , on the other hand I bet you weren’t around Wetherspoon type clientele 😂

This was late 90s so beer generally wasn't something for which you asked the price because it wasn't going to be much.

Wetherspoons' clientele depends very much upon the pub, I am a regular at several very pleasant ones but tbf have been to two (Wimbledon and Mutley Plain, Plymouth) where I didn't even bother to sit down, let alone have a pint.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

This was late 90s so beer generally wasn't something for which you asked the price because it wasn't going to be much.

Wetherspoons' clientele depends very much upon the pub, I am a regular at several very pleasant ones but tbf have been to two (Wimbledon and Mutley Plain, Plymouth) where I didn't even bother to sit down, let alone have a pint.

Totally agree tbf there are some pretty decent ones , commercial rooms central Bristol is decent ( very different) been to a few in London aswell watching city and come across the full spectrum really good to shocking , talking of shocking Kingswood has to be right up there with the worst

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I've moved out of London now too, but amateur cricket grounds are honestly like a cheat code. You're essentially getting a massive beer garden (try getting a seat in a London beer garden on a sunny summer Saturday), with a bit of vague entertainment going on, and the pints are about £2 if not £3 cheaper than the closest pub. We got a round of drinks for free once because "you've already bought three rounds". Try getting that anywhere else in London (or, to be fair, the UK)!

• Like 1

@Eddie Hitler @redkev

I remember going to a Wetherspoons in Tunbridge Wells in late 2014 I think it was quite different.

Can vary. One in Tunbridge Wells is quite unique as far as Wetherspoons goes.

england-kent-tunbridge-wells-interior-vi

0229_new_bar02.jpg?w=855&crop=1&cropx=50

Was quite genteel on a Sunday afternoon. One day a year it does become an Opera so I was told at the time but dunno whether that is still a thing. People were reading books.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m somewhat amused when people leave England away games early or even half time 

I know sometimes the football is poor but surely you come all that way to leave early or stand in a concourse drinking shit larger seems a waste of money 

but they have paid there money so it’s there choice 

5 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

People pay their money, they can do what they like.

To some, city is a passion. To others, it’s a few hours out the house with mates and having a few beers.

I can’t understanding the judgement of others when people want to leave early, leave at half time or whatever. A couple of guys who I go with have to leave at 4:45pm as its the difference between getting home by 5:30/6pm or 7/7:30pm.

They are no less a fan for missing the last few minutes.

Personally I prefer the drinks and social as much as the football. A mate of mine is coming to the Sunderland game on the 16th December. We are going for a few drinks before and after the game. There is a very good chance we won’t be watching much of the football in between.

So why not just stay in the pub?

• Flames 1

8 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Watching the U21's the other night I got into conversation with some family and friends of other players in the crowd.

I was surprised (I probably shouldn't have been really) to find that they didn't know who Rob Atkinson was other than "he's first team isn't he?". 

I realised that they didn't really have an interest in City, other than their sons or friends playing for us and in at least one case, had no interest in football. 

I know there have been a few people over the years who have stated that games are more a chance to get together with friends, than about the football, so I wondered if there are lots of people who have had an interest thrust upon them, rather than seeking out?

I guess if my son/daughter played for the Gas at some level I’d go and watch them but would never become a fan of the club.

I must admit, unlike the 80s 90s when I’d know every player, I couldn’t name you more than 2 players at Rovers nowadays. 

• Like 1

It’s strange. Whether we’re playing badly or well, my OH and I have never left early. Somehow it doesn’t feel right. We’re there to support the team, so that’s exactly what we do. Even if it’s obvious we’re not getting anything from the game, the boys have usually put their all in to trying to win, so it’s showing that it’s appreciated  

I actually noticed during the only Curtis Fleming game significantly more people leaving before the end. Not seen that happen before, so I wondered if that was some sort of protest 🤔

Having said that there is Something also, about being in a football stadium that I love, no matter what the football is like, with everyone having a common friend and foe!

Edited by JP Hampton
  • Like 1

There’s a couple near us in the lower Lansdown that turn up about 15 minutes into the game almost every game.

TBF they don’t go out at half time and always stay to the end but rarely get there on time.

Maybe they’re busy beforehand, everyone there have their own stories and reasons for doing what they do. Good on everyone for just turning up I say. 

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

There’s a couple near us in the lower Lansdown that turn up about 15 minutes into the game almost every game.

TBF they don’t go out at half time and always stay to the end but rarely get there on time.

Maybe they’re busy beforehand, everyone there have their own stories and reasons for doing what they do. Good on everyone for just turning up I say. 

For some reason that reminds of a phone call to Danny Bakers show once. The chap ringing up was a Spurs season ticket holder and was really surprised that for the first part of the season the 2 seats next to him were empty. Until the first post Xmas game when two young lads turned up. 

They explained that their grandmother had been generous enough to buy them both season tickets for Xmas, but knowing nothing about football did the usual thing with Xmas presents and wrapped them up until the day. :facepalm: :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I guess if my son/daughter played for the Gas at some level I’d go and watch them but would never become a fan of the club.

I must admit, unlike the 80s 90s when I’d know every player, I couldn’t name you more than 2 players at Rovers nowadays. 

Martin & Hunt  that’s about it I think and Collins I believe

, like you back 8n the day  I could name you Randall , penrice , Devon fxxking white ( always scored against us ) Gary smart , Alexander , twentyman, Nigel Martyn , Holloway , Bater, Williams , god did I support Rovers there just rolling off the tongue here