IGNORED

Tribute bands

weepywall

Following on from my fav gig thread, what are peoples thoughts on tribute acts ? I've only seen 3, Live Wire...AC/DC, very good, Bootleg Beatles they were also very good and an ABBA tribute( not through choice) and they were very good aswell. A mate of mine is in a Depeche Mode and Human League tribute band and they are incredibly busy.

• Like 1

Seen bootleg Beatles a few times at glasto and they were enjoyable 

watched Australian pink Floyd in bath recently and they were brilliant 

I don’t really tend to go looking for tribute bands , but did in these cases as not like I am ever gonna see either of these original acts live 

Didn’t they used to do a full tribute festival in keynsham each year. Prob a cracking singalong 

my sis went to watch an arctic monkeys and foo fighters one at fleece recently. Said both good . I think they have a decent number in the fleece 

• Like 1

I've seen some really good tribute acts over the years, not least the Complete Stone Roses, the Complete Clash and T Rexstasy.

A mate was in the excellent Deaf Dumb and Blondie some years ago, but my favourite local tribute band was probably the Rolling Clones, featuring Mick Haggard, Keith Riffhard, Ronnie Woodbine, Bill Why-aye-man and Charlie Whatsit.

The advent of so-called fake festivals and Butlins weekender type events, means there's actually a full time living to be made for the best of these acts. Better than getting a proper job!

Edited by City Rocker
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, internetjef said:

Seen bootleg Beatles a few times at glasto and they were enjoyable 

watched Australian pink Floyd in bath recently and they were brilliant 

I don’t really tend to go looking for tribute bands , but did in these cases as not like I am ever gonna see either of these original acts live 

Didn’t they used to do a full tribute festival in keynsham each year. Prob a cracking singalong 

my sis went to watch an arctic monkeys and foo fighters one at fleece recently. Said both good . I think they have a decent number in the fleece 

They have loads in the Fleece and yes Keynsham has a fake festival, hoping to see the Pink Floyd tribute sometime.

1 hour ago, weepywall said:

Following on from my fav gig thread, what are peoples thoughts on tribute acts ? I've only seen 3, Live Wire...AC/DC, very good, Bootleg Beatles they were also very good and an ABBA tribute( not through choice) and they were very good aswell. A mate of mine is in a Depeche Mode and Human League tribute band and they are incredibly busy.

I've seen Livewire a few times and they are very good. Also the Illegal Eagles are excellent as are the ELO experience.

Rumours of Fleetwood Mac are outstanding 👍

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Yeah they're pretty fun to watch. They're playing a couple of nights at the Fleece in December, one of them followed by Supersonic which is a really good club night if you're into 90s guitar stuff.

I was looking  at booking this exact thing. 28th and 29th December. You been before? 

On the whole I'm not normally a fan when the originals are still around, even then not my first choice.
That said , the Likes of the Bootleg Beatles ( brilliant when I saw them around '82 ) , T Rextasy ( saw their acoustic set ), Rumours of Fleetwood Mac ( cheaper to have a weekend away with tickets than 2 tickets for the real one's Wembley show ) are great in their own right. Specially as it's the only way to see the music played live.
I used to watch the Jamm ( I count From the Jam as a tribute really) or Who's next or one of the many others when they come out. I saw the Small Fakers at 100 Club this time last year, another band that doesn't make enough effort to look like the band they cover, which is a shame, they're good.
I've heard good things about London Calling and Australian Pink Floyd, but it's not my favourite choice for live music TBH. 

This time of year I have to mention Sladest, really enjoyable fun night out . They look nothing like Slade, "Noddy" had to have another guitarist playing his part and Dave was a fat bloke in a black Tee shirt. Great night all the same.

15 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

I'd go to see these

Terry Chambers had been on tour with his ExTC band.

What a great version of Mayor this is. 

For a minute I thought Andy P was on acoustic!

PS if Andy is reading this.... please forget the issues and past. Just reform even for a night or two ...and let us know first!  Thank you.

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

As a slight bonkers booze infused nights out go, these guys have always been great value for money.

Disco classic and various other songs reworked to a hard rock sound.

They played a small tent at Tramlines this year and were superb!

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

As someone who has never seen them I concur , ASAP please Andy :thumbsup:

That's got to do it, 1960man!

I only found out recently that their last UK gig was at the Top Rank in Cardiff.

We went by train. Big mistake! We had to leave half way through their set to catch the last train home.

They hadn't released English Settlement but were trying out certain tracks which were Snowman and 2 others (can't remember now).

• Like 1

On 18/11/2023 at 22:40, Ziderarmy said:

I was looking  at booking this exact thing. 28th and 29th December. You been before? 

Yeah Oas-Is are good fun, always a good atmosphere when they have so many well-known songs. I loved Supersonic last time I went but I'm a big fan of the Roses and some of the 90's Britpop stuff. It's been a few years though.

• Like 1

On 19/11/2023 at 12:40, Norn Iron said:

Terry Chambers had been on tour with his ExTC band.

What a great version of Mayor this is. 

For a minute I thought Andy P was on acoustic!

PS if Andy is reading this.... please forget the issues and past. Just reform even for a night or two ...and let us know first!  Thank you.

In October 2018 I saw Colin Moulding & Terry Chambers live in Swindon under the name TC & I when they played all of the XTC songs that the former wrote & sang, including of course “Making Plans for Nigel”.

Within a week of that gig Moulding said that he wasn’t touring ever again, no reason was given & he’s stuck by it.

I was hitchhiking in France in 1980 & they were on tour playing in a town that I passed, but because of the faff of what to do with all of my stuff, I never saw them. Huge regret, one of 3 bands (Talking Heads & Ian Dury & the Blockheads were the 2 others) that I never saw but wish that I did.

All of the 3 main players in XTC, Andy Partridge, Moulding & Dave Gregory have fallen out with each other at some point, occasionally all 3 of them all hate each other at the same time.

No chance that they will ever play or even record together again.

Edited by GrahamC

I saw the Aussie Pink Floyd many moons ago at The Colston Hall and they were spot on....

But I was blown away in a near empty Alma Vale Tavern maybe 15 years ago by an act called the "Millimeters" who 

are/were a tribute act to The Meters.  They were a seriously talented bunch and their act musically was pure class.