IGNORED

Favourite Away ground you visited following City.

SomeRandomBristolian

Gigg Lane, Bury.

Great pub -The Bear And Rugged Staff. Always made welcome and they even served us free sandwiches after one visit.  

As for the ground, well it's not exactly Ashton Gate or Wembley but it has home fans with passion and they deserve to be back in the top 4 divisions asap. But if the Bear and Rugged Staff has closed...

• Like 2

Cambridge U- ground was pretty poor, but the walk across the water meadow and that little bridge over the stream…

Also Aldershot years ago- all the turnstiles were at one end and you could walk all the way around the ground.

Most memorable- bizarre: that extraordinary walk to the away end at Vicarage Rd/ Watford.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Griffin Park was the greatest away end in the league, although I do seem to remember they put us at the opposite end for a couple of years at some point?

Griffin Park was the away ground that I visited more than any. I remember getting soaked in the old open end several times. The pubs on each corner was one of the attractions. 

I liked the Ricoh where Coventry played - City always did well there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Griffin Park was the away ground that I visited more than any. I remember getting soaked in the old open end several times. The pubs on each corner was one of the attractions. 

I liked the Ricoh where Coventry played - City always did well there.

Always found the Ricoh completely soulless, a bit like AG is currently.

• Like 1

I agree with a fair few of the comments already. I think Leicester, Derby, Brentford in their old grounds were always good - probably due to our results rather than the grounds themselves

However, I also liked a few of these others (pre-development) where we had good results on the day, but stood on cold, crumbling, dilapidated terracing - but you could sense the history of the club, but due to low crowds when playing us, felt like the stadiums belonged in a bygone era: Barnsley, Blackpool, Wolves, Watford, Millwall, Portsmouth, Newcastle(Keegans first game as manager was brilliant) - but all would've been rocking when full to the brim.

I would've loved to have gone to Stokes, Huddersfield, Boltons, Charltons grounds when at the height of their full terracing. Unfortunately, I've only ever done their new builds 😞

Surprised it hasn’t been mentioned yet. But Meadow Lane is very good ground. Plenty of pubs nearby with a short walk from the centre to ground. 

Overall the ground is a perfect take on a rejuvenated old ground. 

Prefer it to the City Ground. Mainly because we’ve had more luck at County over Forest! 

Also enjoyed Carlisle, but that’s probably because of the journey up on the train more than anything else. :drunk2:

Third on my list is probably Bramall Lane, good atmosphere with that bloody Chip Butty song. Nice ground and we seem to always take a decent number there and seem to do okay there! 

3 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I agree with a fair few of the comments already. I think Leicester, Derby, Brentford in their old grounds were always good - probably due to our results rather than the grounds themselves

However, I also liked a few of these others (pre-development) where we had good results on the day, but stood on cold, crumbling, dilapidated terracing - but you could sense the history of the club, but due to low crowds when playing us, felt like the stadiums belonged in a bygone era: Barnsley, Blackpool, Wolves, Watford, Millwall, Portsmouth, Newcastle(Keegans first game as manager was brilliant) - but all would've been rocking when full to the brim.

I would've loved to have gone to Stokes, Huddersfield, Boltons, Charltons grounds when at the height of their full terracing. Unfortunately, I've only ever done their new builds 😞

I remember going to Huddersfield’s old Leeds Road ground in the Sixties and recall that the toilet consisted of a single wall painted black, open to view!

1 hour ago, Tony Tootle said:

I liked molineux when I went there in 2013. Nicely modernised historic ground. Tremendous atmosphere from the home fans in the second half where we capitulated after having taken the lead through one of the most hilarious own goals I’ve seen live.

Forgot Molyneux - The “Wooly Bully” chant for Steve Bull was deafening. 

36 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

I like to feel like I am in an old ground but I still want a decent view. 😁 Have been to less than half of championship grounds but I would say from those Hillsborough.

Recall going there one year, around the pulis era, think it was a fa cup game and ten minutes before the end it came on the tannoy due to all the buses being trashed, there is no transport back to the station, was freezing too

• Haha 1

For some reason, I have a fondness for grounds that are rooted in the community. The reverse is that I generally detest those out of town monstrosities like Cardiff Tescos, Reading Business Park, and Coventry somewhere random.

I like Wigan's old ground whose away end could be charitably described as a grass terrace but more accurately described as a "mud slope".  Great stuff.

One of my other favourites is Leyton Orient.  If I recall correctly, one side of the ground is a set of flats that directly overlook the pitch. I always wondered if those flats were cheaper or more expensive given they were looking at the Orient...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Recall going there one year, around the pulis era, think it was a fa cup game and ten minutes before the end it came on the tannoy due to all the buses being trashed, there is no transport back to the station, was freezing too

Even colder and "livelier" a few years after during wilson era.... 

There's something special about going to an old style English stadium.

Places like Millmoor, Rotherham's old ground surrounded by scrap dealers and pubs selling great tasting beer at ridiculously cheap prices.

The Baseball ground, Edgar street and the very much mentioned Griffin park were other favourites. 

I can't explain what it is about these, now quite rare, run down dumps that does it for me.

Eastville always had a similar feel with an added edge. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Chivs said:

One of my other favourites is Leyton Orient.  If I recall correctly, one side of the ground is a set of flats that directly overlook the pitch. I always wondered if those flats were cheaper or more expensive given they were looking at the Orient...

I remember from our last visit there that the flats are in the corners of the ground and have balconies that look out over the pitch. You could almost see what they were cooking!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oh Louie louie said:

There was a pub outside Rotherhams ground, think it was called the moor, or mill, it was like that pub in American werewolf in London when we walked in

Was it Millmoor that had a sort of Club/bar/disco attached to the ground?
Sure we went in before a game one year. 

Might be mixing it up with somewhere else.