IGNORED

Transition

BCFC Rich

I just watched the highlights. Stuff to improve for sure.

Something I picked up on was the Tanner error that led to their second goal. If he is positive and goes on the outside, it's not a problem - he's already beaten the man and he's away. Just a poor decision from him; when he's turned inside their lad easily can nick the ball.

11 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

No disrespect meant & this isn’t personal. Whoever you chat or sit with then haven’t the foggiest on football matters. You just watch the 90 minutes & that’s it? . What Pearson did without us getting in to relegation trouble was pretty remarkable . When he came in, we had a complete squad who’d downed tools , a massive wage bill & about 30 players .a millwall goal keeper who said publicly that we are a soft touch . All this created by the Lansdown’s , not for the first time either .  2012/13 season when we finished bottom of the league with a whimper . Who was brought in at the start of that season  as a recruitment adviser . Mark Ashton . Brought in by Lansdown . He brought players like stern John etc . Over paid over the hill men who just wanted a final pay day . I don’t know if you or the people around you supported us in those days . We were unbalanced , not even a left back in the squad if I remember correctly . Shaun O’driscoll came in to sort the shit  out , which he did . Ashton Left & SOD laid the foundations for cotts to come in & win league one at a canter. Forward to cotts being sacked which was another summer of complete **** ups by the lansdowns . Who walks through the door again . Mark **** up ashton . Who did exactly the same as before but this time over five years. Signing 60+ players & spending £68m . So excuse me & large parts of our fanbase who haven’t got their heads stuck up sir Steve’s ass watching history repeat its self . 

Without going into detail of my liking of this post….i think it shows eloquence and understanding to completely debunk any ridiculous theory that you are Tony Wilkins! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I just watched the highlights. Stuff to improve for sure.

Something I picked up on was the Tanner error that led to their second goal. If he is positive and goes on the outside, it's not a problem - he's already beaten the man and he's away. Just a poor decision from him; when he's turned inside their lad easily can nick the ball.

If you are Sam Greenwood, the one thing you know is that George Tanner is highly unlikely to receive that type of pass, open his body up and try and do you on the outside! 🤣🤣🤣

In all seriousness it was perfect from Greenwood.  He anticipated the touch perfectly.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

No disrespect meant & this isn’t personal. Whoever you chat or sit with then haven’t the foggiest on football matters. You just watch the 90 minutes & that’s it? . What Pearson did without us getting in to relegation trouble was pretty remarkable . When he came in, we had a complete squad who’d downed tools , a massive wage bill & about 30 players .a millwall goal keeper who said publicly that we are a soft touch . All this created by the Lansdown’s , not for the first time either .  2012/13 season when we finished bottom of the league with a whimper . Who was brought in at the start of that season  as a recruitment adviser . Mark Ashton . Brought in by Lansdown . He brought players like stern John etc . Over paid over the hill men who just wanted a final pay day . I don’t know if you or the people around you supported us in those days . We were unbalanced , not even a left back in the squad if I remember correctly . Shaun O’driscoll came in to sort the shit  out , which he did . Ashton Left & SOD laid the foundations for cotts to come in & win league one at a canter. Forward to cotts being sacked which was another summer of complete **** ups by the lansdowns . Who walks through the door again . Mark **** up ashton . Who did exactly the same as before but this time over five years. Signing 60+ players & spending £68m . So excuse me & large parts of our fanbase who haven’t got their heads stuck up sir Steve’s ass watching history repeat its self . 

Attending games about 40 years, ST 27 years.

I think we all know that Lansdown's biggest mistake was giving Mark Ashton free rein over football matters off the pitch, and he has made other mistakes over the years, but the fact remains that Bristol City are competitive at a higher level than they have been at any time during my time supporting the club. The Lansdown's are far from clowns, although I will grant you they are far from perfect. Personally, I am happier with fans owning the club (And Jon being a fan is the only reason Steve got involved in the first place) than selling out to some corporate entity. Then you would really get to see what not caring looks like.

I don't think history is repeating itself here, we are not going to go splashing money on deadwood this time round.

All I am saying is that things are nowhere near as bad as the prevailing mood on this forum would suggest. It is not a mood shared by the majority of the fanbase either, in my experience.

Pearson did a decent job, very true, but his being replaced is not that surprising given the lack of progress seen this season. I know Alex Scott was sold from under him, but selling your best players is what all clubs at this level do, it's a fact of life.

I am not 100% sure that Manning was the right appointment, but wil give him time to prove himself. There was a lot to be positive about yesterday for sure and I am certainly not feeling the doom and gloom that you are.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I think we all know that Lansdown's biggest mistake was giving Mark Ashton free rein over football matters off the pitch, and he has made other mistakes over the years, but the fact remains that Bristol City are competitive at a higher level than they have been at any time during my time supporting the club. The Lansdown's are far from clowns, although I will grant you they are far from perfect. Personally, I am happier with fans owning the club (And Jon being a fan is the only reason Steve got involved in the first place) than selling out to some corporate entity. Then you would really get to see what not caring looks like.

I don't think history is repeating itself here, we are not going to go splashing money on deadwood this time round.

All I am saying is that things are nowhere near as bad as the prevailing mood on this forum would suggest. It is not a mood shared by the majority of the fanbase either, in my experience.

Pearson did a decent job, very true, but his being replaced is not that surprising given the lack of progress seen this season. I know Alex Scott was sold from under him, but selling your best players is what all clubs at this level do, it's a fact of life.

I am not 100% sure that Manning was the right appointment, but wil give him time to prove himself. There was a lot to be positive about yesterday for sure and I am certainly not feeling the doom and gloom that you are.

Don’t get me wrong . I’m not doom & gloom . I was very pissed off for a week , but there’s no point dwelling on it, it’s done now. I support Bristol city football club not the lansdowns . History has repeated itself 2013 then 2016 with Ashton that’s what concerns me . They don’t learn from mistakes. We all make them but most of us don’t repeat them. 
Im 100% behind manning now but the way Pearson was treated was poor at best. The way he turned the club around but then not given the chance to build on it & having the financial tap turned off was crap .  There are rumours that tinnion stabbed Pearson in the back . I don’t know if that’s true. The positive with having him in charge of the football side is he’ll be making the football decisions not Steve or Jon lansdown , who have as much knowledge about the game as I do Astro physics  

Edited by steviestevieneville
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Don’t get me wrong . I’m not doom & gloom . I was very pissed off for a week , but there’s no point dwelling on it, it’s done now. I support Bristol city football club not the lansdowns . History has repeated itself 2013 then 2016 with Ashton that’s what concerns me . They don’t learn from mistakes. We all make them but most of us don’t repeat them. 
Im 100% behind manning now but the way Pearson was treated was poor at best. The way he turned the club around but then not given the chance to build on it & having the financial tap turned off was crap .  There are rumours that tinnion stabbed Pearson in the back . I don’t know if that’s true. The positive with having him in charge of the football side is he’ll be making the football decisions not Steve or Jon lansdown , who have as much knowledge about the game as I do Astro physics  

And as I posted a couple of weeks back , it is , IMHO , the journey with the Lansdowns , and the flip flopping in plans , poor appointments , culminating in the treatment of Pearson and particularly the way it was done that has seriously, permanently  p***** a whole section of the fanbase , not just the NP situation.

I thought NP was a strange , for the Lansdowns , but excellent , appointment 

It was , ( and they used NP (IMHO) ) and ultimately , quelle surprise........... ‘they’ think they know better *

* Though according to Ian Gay, whilst appearing to chew a lemon , he can assure us , NP would still be in a job...... ‘if he hadn’t played up’

🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, BCFC Rich said:

It's a strange phase for the club. Normally win, lose, or draw there would be multiple threads about who was MOM, who was to blame, what tactics we got wrong etc. But right now it's just a little flat. I think that was reflected in the atmosphere for long periods of the game today, even when winning.

I think it's a general feeling of sourness at how NP left. Fans who didn't want that are not wanting to be too enthusiastic about a really good win. Fans who wanted the change are not wanting to be shouted down.  

Ultimately we should be singing the praises, Dickie was fantastic again, and apart from a crazy 10/15 in the second half, we are defensively really strong. That's something NP gave us. I love that 1st half we controlled possession and took our chances. I love that second half we did what so many clubs do to us - challenged Boro to break us down! And we stood strong and looked dangerous on the break. I also love that conceding corners is no longer a huge stress, we are so solid at defending set pieces. 

There are good signs of some of LM's influence and more importantly signs that we can build on what NP put 

I want to clarify that I'm not criticising or trying to provoke anyone as I've been accused of in the past.

I genuinely believe the situation appears straightforward because numerous individuals strongly supported Nigel, making it uncomfortable now that we're succeeding under Liam. Some are hesitant to acknowledge this success because it might mean admitting they were mistaken, and it could suggest that JL made the correct decision.

21 minutes ago, Spreadsheet Man said:

I want to clarify that I'm not criticising or trying to provoke anyone as I've been accused of in the past.

I genuinely believe the situation appears straightforward because numerous individuals strongly supported Nigel, making it uncomfortable now that we're succeeding under Liam. Some are hesitant to acknowledge this success because it might mean admitting they were mistaken, and it could suggest that JL made the correct decision.

Not provoking but posting a provocative text. We all support city so we all want manning to succeed . Saying he’s a success after two games  is a bit premature though . Stop trying so hard to be a troll though. You’ve already proved you’re over qualified . 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

That is all reasonable, though I would say that I don't think any mistakes have been repeated here, it was just a case of they felt NP had done his job and it was time to move on. It wasn't handled very well I agree, but I think that comes down to more of a clash of personalities and the Lansdown's not getting on particularly well with Nige.

I have met Brian Tinnion a few times, and whilst I will keep my thoughts private regards comments elsewhere about how bright he is, he is football through and through and has the best interests of this club at heart.

• Like 2

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

Not provoking but posting a provocative text. We all support city so we all want manning to succeed . Saying he’s a success after two games  is a bit premature though . Stop trying so hard to be a troll though. You’ve already proved you’re over qualified . 

Why was that considered provocative? Simply having a different or minority opinion doesn’t inherently make it provocative. Let’s not be overly sensitive.

He’s been successful (up to now); he hasn’t lost a single game. While I can’t predict the future, surely maintaining an undefeated record so far qualifies as a form of success, doesn’t it?

If he’d lost his first 2 games, it would be carnage on here and you know that. 

1 minute ago, Spreadsheet Man said:

Why was that considered provocative? Simply having a different or minority opinion doesn’t inherently make it provocative. Let’s not be overly sensitive.

He’s been successful (up to now); he hasn’t lost a single game. While I can’t predict the future, surely maintaining an undefeated record so far qualifies as a form of success, doesn’t it?

He has had a reasonable start, but wayyyy to early to describe the change to Manning as 'succeeding' which is what you did above.

1 minute ago, richwwtk said:

He has had a reasonable start, but wayyyy to early to describe the change to Manning as 'succeeding' which is what you did above.

My judgment is based on results, and up to this point, he hasn’t experienced any losses. Isn’t that a form of success? Admittedly, things could shift in the coming months, but I’m no fortune teller; my assessment relies solely on the results we’ve seen thus far.

19 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

No, I’d be the same . It’s a start , a decent one yes but just a start. If he’d lost both games it would be put down to transition . I’m far from over sensitive but if you can’t see how your post was provocative then I’m a bit lost for words . For once . 

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

No, I’d be the same . It’s a start , a decent one yes but just a start. If he’d lost both games it would be put down to transition . I’m far from over sensitive but if you can’t see how your post was provocative then I’m a bit lost for words . For once . 

I wasn’t intentionally trying to provoke. My writing tone might seem sharp, I admit that. Last week I was provocative with @Davefevs, but I don’t like him. Sometimes people clash, that’s just humans and life. 

8 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I wasn’t intentionally trying to provoke. My writing tone might seem sharp, I admit that. Last week I was provocative with @Davefevs, but I don’t like him. Sometimes people clash, that’s just humans and life. 

That’s true. However , now that you’ve said you don’t like Dave  I challenge you to a duel . I’ve metaphorically slapped you across the face with a dualling glove . 

Edited by steviestevieneville

27 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

My judgment is based on results, and up to this point, he hasn’t experienced any losses. Isn’t that a form of success? Admittedly, things could shift in the coming months, but I’m no fortune teller; my assessment relies solely on the results we’ve seen thus far.

So by your logic if we lose the next two games he would be a failure?

If we had lost his first two games I wouldn't be writing him off as it's far too soon to judge him a success or a failure.

Just now, chinapig said:

So by your logic if we lose the next two games he would be a failure?

If we had lost his first two games I wouldn't be writing him off as it's far too soon to judge him a success or a failure.

I mean, I’m being very literal with the word success as I’ve explained. But yeah. If you asked me the question at this very second, had the appointment of LM been a success, then I would answer yes. If you ask me the same question and we’ve then lost 5 in a row and won one and drawn one, my answer would clearly change with the facts. I would say, he’s failing at that moment.

By saying he’s been a success so far, doesn’t always mean that will be the case, and that’s the beauty about life and our opinions, things change as things evolve. But in forums like this, people tend to have an opinion on something and then feel like they can never change, like what we are seeing with NP and what you will see if we ever get to the Premier League. It will never be because of the Lansdowns as people won’t let their egos admit they were wrong.

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

And as I posted a couple of weeks back , it is , IMHO , the journey with the Lansdowns , and the flip flopping in plans , poor appointments , culminating in the treatment of Pearson and particularly the way it was done that has seriously, permanently  p***** a whole section of the fanbase , not just the NP situation.

I thought NP was a strange , for the Lansdowns , but excellent , appointment 

It was , ( and they used NP (IMHO) ) and ultimately , quelle surprise........... ‘they’ think they know better *

* Though according to Ian Gay, whilst appearing to chew a lemon , he can assure us , NP would still be in a job...... ‘if he hadn’t played up’

🤣

Also , I’m still in shock by it & it seems to have gone pretty much unnoticed is silver spoon jons quote . Now we have a style of play we want throughout the club. Well Jonny boy. That was the bloke you’ve sacked playing philosophy & also it’s taken over twenty years for you to find one.
After like you say , flip plopping from we want to be like Brighton then Brentford then Luton . The clubs in the bag utter bollocks from Johnson snr to junior . We finally found a philosophy under Kieth Burt & cotts but that was success that sir Steve didn’t appoint so he didn’t like it & pulled the rug from under his feet regarding signings that summer of 2015 . Trust me on tinnion oh no millen , oh no coppell oh no millen again . Guess what Steve . We don’t trust you . 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Appreciate your opinion Rich and what you see and hear from your perspective; however from mine it’s totally the other way. With the people I go with, those around me and all the City fans I know only one shares your views.

Most I would say are more so than myself and many on here. Where I stand in the singing section it was pretty toxic for the Sheffield Wednesday game and was the same again when it went 2 - 2 with anti Lansdown and pro Pearson chanting. This in itself started problems with a few who didn’t agree. 

Personally what I’ve tried to do is separate my disappointment and anger at Lansdown and look forward. 

If Manning continues to win games then everyone else will do the same, but perhaps this time they won’t forget. 

Edited by One Team

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

So, given the thread is about 'transition' and not another one bemoaning the fact Nige has gone, did anyone see any particular differences? I certainly thought we were more positive with the ball although it's very, very early to judge.

The main differences for me was that Dickie was given licence to bring the ball out and get us up the pitch and TGH was played in a position that got the best out of him. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, richwwtk said:

It's bizarre. All you see in here is browbeating about Pearson going, and comments about the Lansdowns being clowns, awful, finished at this club etc.

I have yet to find a single person, either sat around us in the SS or amongst friends, who isn't a regular on here, that feels even close to that.

The vast majority, so far as I can see, were maybe a little nonplussed at Pearson going but could see why, and quite enjoyed the most exciting game at the Gate for several seasons yesterday (first 30 minutes aside).

We're you all in the toilet when the SS was singing Jon Lansdown what a manual manipulator? And same again Vs Wednesday? 

Most exciting game for several seasons? 

What about Plymouth this season? Stoke this season? Oxford this season? And I can provide plenty from last season too if you want me to? 

Sorry but it seems you only want to see and hear things that suit your argument. 

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

We didn't have any consistent game plan or style under NP after 2.5 years - & you expect LM to have nailed everything over 2 weeks..?!

I think some people are determined not to want to see positives..!

We had more shots on target yesterday than the vast majority of games I can remember under NP & against a good team who are flying & beat Leicester, with a clean sheet, last time out.

Of course it wasn't perfect - but I thought there were tangible signs of difference in what we did or tried to do - which was impressive after only 2 weeks. 

We did. It's not my problem if you couldn't see it.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, richwwtk said:

What sort of progress were you expecting?  We were 8th a few days before he was sacked and were carrying a shed load of injuries.