IGNORED

Transition

BCFC Rich

It's a strange phase for the club. Normally win, lose, or draw there would be multiple threads about who was MOM, who was to blame, what tactics we got wrong etc. But right now it's just a little flat. I think that was reflected in the atmosphere for long periods of the game today, even when winning.

I think it's a general feeling of sourness at how NP left. Fans who didn't want that are not wanting to be too enthusiastic about a really good win. Fans who wanted the change are not wanting to be shouted down.  

Ultimately we should be singing the praises, Dickie was fantastic again, and apart from a crazy 10/15 in the second half, we are defensively really strong. That's something NP gave us. I love that 1st half we controlled possession and took our chances. I love that second half we did what so many clubs do to us - challenged Boro to break us down! And we stood strong and looked dangerous on the break. I also love that conceding corners is no longer a huge stress, we are so solid at defending set pieces. 

There are good signs of some of LM's influence and more importantly signs that we can build on what NP put in place.

• Like 18

9 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

It's a strange phase for the club. Normally win, lose, or draw there would be multiple threads about who was MOM, who was to blame, what tactics we got wrong etc. But right now it's just a little flat. I think that was reflected in the atmosphere for long periods of the game today, even when winning.

I think it's a general feeling of sourness at how NP left. Fans who didn't want that are not wanting to be too enthusiastic about a really good win. Fans who wanted the change are not wanting to be shouted down.  

Ultimately we should be singing the praises, Dickie was fantastic again, and apart from a crazy 10/15 in the second half, we are defensively really strong. That's something NP gave us. I love that 1st half we controlled possession and took our chances. I love that second half we did what so many clubs do to us - challenged Boro to break us down! And we stood strong and looked dangerous on the break. I also love that conceding corners is no longer a huge stress, we are so solid at defending set pieces. 

There are good signs of some of LM's influence and more importantly signs that we can build on what NP put in place.

I think you’re over thinking this feeling of ‘sourness’. Apart from a few acting like heart broke teenagers on here - people are moving on 

I just think the football has been shit for so long - and so has the atmosphere. Let’s be completely honest, the atmosphere at Ashton Gate 95% of the time is absolutely dire . Completely flat - and a lot of that is driven by the dull football that’s been dished up consistently for the last 5-6 years 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

It’s been the strangest month for me since I’ve supported City. I felt so powerless when Nige was sacked by what feels a little bit like a Lansdown dictatorship. That win today helps. Hopefully Manning can be the man to build on the massive progress Pearson made with the club. Onwards and upwards 🔴⚪

• Like 15

Just now, Andy082005 said:

I think you’re over thinking this feeling of ‘sourness’. Apart from a few acting like heart broke teenagers on here - people are moving on 

I just think the football has been shit for so long - and so has the atmosphere. Let’s be completely honest, the atmosphere at Ashton Gate 95% of the time is absolutely dire . Completely flat - and a lot of that is driven by the dull football that’s been dished up consistently for the last 5-6 years 

You may be right. I just can't remember the last time we won a game and there weren't multiple threads immediately after the game. "Thought player X deserved his own thread" etc. It just feels a bit muted to me. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Mehmeti needs to start, bell was v poor today. Positive 3 points against a good team

Out of possession it was noticeable that Mehmeti was chasing shadows. It made it much easier for boro to attack down their right.

He did look better than belly going forward, but by that time the game was open and ragged.

I'd sooner start Bell, but I'm not really convinced by either of them at the moment.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Out of possession it was noticeable that Mehmeti was chasing shadows. It made it much easier for boro to attack down their right.

He did look better than belly going forward, but by that time the game was open and ragged.

I'd sooner start Bell, but I'm not really convinced by either of them at the moment.

I think Bell is underrated, he's very disciplined and drops in + covers run to cut off options for the opposition. 

In my opinion, his lack of effect recently actually has more to do with Pring (by the standards he was setting last season) being off-form. All the defenders need to do is show him the outside and even if he beats his man for pace his left-foot crossing is not the best. If Pring can get up on the overlap more Bell is more likely to be able to cut inside or just use Pring. 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

52 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Nah. Today was like a pre season friendly atmosphere. 

50 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

It’s been the strangest month for me since I’ve supported City. I felt so powerless when Nige was sacked by what feels a little bit like a Lansdown dictatorship. That win today helps. Hopefully Manning can be the man to build on the massive progress Pearson made with the club. Onwards and upwards 🔴⚪

Agree. I was chatting to mates I haven’t seen in person since Nige left . We all felt the same , pissed off nige wasn’t given the chance to build on his success of turning around the shit show he inherited created by the lansdowns .
Now though time to get behind manning because he’s our manager & we support the club , not the clowns in charge . There was a genuine shift in how fans are a bit resentful towards our overlords now. 
we all know how football works . If we start to play entertaining football & win games , it’ll be forgotten by many . Plenty of us won’t though. The lansdowns are done imo , I detest them . 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

thought first half until the goals was very boring. Annoying how safe Tanner is. Seems all he wants to do is just play it sideways or back. But I guess this is what will happen more often with a more possession based style of play. Mehmeti needs to start, bell was v poor today. Positive 3 points against a good team

Mehmeti is such a conundrum, he was an absolute liability defensively, twice he lost his man & then completely switched off at a corner letting his opponent through on goal.

However once he went on that mazy run which was well saved by Dieng he looked a completely different player, taking opponents on & pushing us much further up the pitch.

Put it this way I wouldn’t put him on to hold on to a lead but he did offer more than Bell today who was too passive.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Mehmeti is such a conundrum, he was an absolute liability defensively, twice he lost his man & then completely switched off at a corner letting his opponent through on goal.

However once he went on that mazy run which was well saved by Dieng he looked a completely different player, taking opponents on & pushing us much further up the pitch.

Put it this way I wouldn’t put him on to hold on to a lead but he did offer more than Bell today who was too passive.

I don't understand why at corners we don't leave Mehmeti on the half way line which means Boro have to leave two back with him 

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Difficult time to come on, game stretched, Boro had just gone attack-heavy on their right side, taking off Van Der Berg and suddenly they had Silvera at RW and Jones at RB…not an easy proposition to defend against.  And as you say the game was ragged, and that makes it harder to settle in too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Difficult time to come on, game stretched, Boro had just gone attack-heavy on their right side, taking off Van Der Berg and suddenly they had Silvera at RW and Jones at RB…not an easy proposition to defend against.  And as you say the game was ragged, and that makes it harder to settle in too.

I know that they offer different attributes and skills etc. but when he came on Harry immediately got stuck in and made a significant and worthwhile contribution. Anis barely got involved until he made a great run almost resulting in a goal. Needs to offer more all round and especially defensively.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BCFC Rich said:

I think Bell is underrated, he's very disciplined and drops in + covers run to cut off options for the opposition. 

In my opinion, his lack of effect recently actually has more to do with Pring (by the standards he was setting last season) being off-form. All the defenders need to do is show him the outside and even if he beats his man for pace his left-foot crossing is not the best. If Pring can get up on the overlap more Bell is more likely to be able to cut inside or just use Pring. 

I think clubs have done there homework on pring after last season where he was our main source of attacks .

9 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Are you trying to say that today was no different to most weeks? 

Yes mate I am. The atmosphere at the Gate is absolutely flat 

The south stand - which I believe sold out to season tickets? - is half empty most weeks 

The atmosphere is a product of what has been on show for so long. The football the last 5-6 years has been terrible 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fanjita said:

Yet another thread where NP is mentioned.

He’s gone, get over it, some supporters treating him like he was the Messiah 

It's bizarre. All you see in here is browbeating about Pearson going, and comments about the Lansdowns being clowns, awful, finished at this club etc.

I have yet to find a single person, either sat around us in the SS or amongst friends, who isn't a regular on here, that feels even close to that.

The vast majority, so far as I can see, were maybe a little nonplussed at Pearson going but could see why, and quite enjoyed the most exciting game at the Gate for several seasons yesterday (first 30 minutes aside).

Edited by richwwtk
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Hmmm 3
  • Facepalm 3

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

It's bizarre. All you see in here is browbeating about Pearson going, and comments about the Lansdowns being clowns, awful, finished at this club etc.

I have yet to find a single person, either sat around us in the SS or amongst friends, who isn't a regular on here, that feels even close to that.

The vast majority, so far as I can see, were maybe a little nonplussed at Pearson going but could see why, and quite enjoyed the most exciting game at the Gate for several seasons yesterday (first 30 minutes aside).

Not sure I would agree that it was the most exciting game seen for years. We were shockingly poor for 35 minutes and not much better in the second half. Gone back to years gone by just standing off watching the player in possession pick any pass he likes.

Thought Boro were as poor as us. Terrible game imo 

• Like 2

Well I beg to differ.

Lots of supporters I know are still livid he was sacked, the way and the timing of it.

And the LIES that were used to justify it.

I know of three longterm supporters, myself included (62 years), who will NOT renew season tickets next year.

Ask yourself, why did Phil Alexander leave? I understand it was because money promised to PA for NP from the Scott transfer was suddenly stopped. PA resigned as a point of principle.

Crayon boy runs the club like a play thing without principles.

Just ask yourself, what experience or qualifications does a man whose never done a ******* day's work in his life have to run a football club? Daddy's money?

I have no interest in supporting a leadership with JL and BT involved.

Lastly, what sort of organisation gets it's employees to sign up to a social media site to peddle their lies and cast negativity on a manager who dragged the club up by its bootlace's, got rid of many overpaid players who should never have been bought, oversaw our club become the top club in the top 2 divisions for playing home grown talent.

Nah, I'm done.....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Not sure I would agree that it was the most exciting game seen for years. We were shockingly poor for 35 minutes and not much better in the second half. Gone back to years gone by just standing off watching the player in possession pick any pass he likes.

I didn't say we played amazingly well, I said it was an exciting game, first 30 minutes aside, and I stand by that. Cannot think of a better one in that respect. There were obviously games we played better, had easier wins etc., but that match was more exciting than anything I can recall recently. 20 shots on target split between both sides, woodwork being hit, a penalty for a change, snatching a winner after letting a two goal lead slip....what's not to like?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Well I beg to differ.

Lots of supporters I know are still livid he was sacked, the way and the timing of it.

And the LIES that were used to justify it.

I know of three longterm supporters, myself included (62 years), who will NOT renew season tickets next year.

Ask yourself, why did Phil Alexander leave? I understand it was because money promised to PA for NP from the Scott transfer was suddenly stopped. PA resigned as a point of principle.

Crayon boy runs the club like a play thing without principles.

Just ask yourself, what experience or qualifications does a man whose never done a ******* day's work in his life have to run a football club? Daddy's money?

I have no interest in supporting a leadership with JL and BT involved.

Lastly, what sort of organisation gets it's employees to sign up to a social media site to peddle their lies and cast negativity on a manager who dragged the club up by its bootlace's, got rid of many overpaid players who should never have been bought, oversaw our club become the top club in the top 2 divisions for playing home grown talent.

Nah, I'm done.....

More than welcome to your opinion (as am I), but I think you will find yourself in a minority. Not the required groupthink in here I know, but the vast majority of supporters have had a collective shrug of their shoulders and moved on.

Edited by richwwtk
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Absolutely this.

Not for the first time, you'd get totally the wrong impression of what it was like at the ground, by reading things on here.

Read this forum & you'd expect the majority of the crowd to be dressed in black, mourning the passing of a legendary manager......

The reality is, in my limited mingling with others at the ground - that nobody has any issue with NP being replaced & believe that we've not progressed in 2.5 years (despite acknowledging he did a good job in other aspects) the football was generally dour & he didn't get the best, or any consistency out of the majority of the players or as a team.

People seem genuinely refreshed by the change, if not a little unsure of whether it will push us forward.

Early signs are encouraging & it was notable at the final whistle, how refreshing it was to have enjoyed a day at football again..!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

All perspective and I'd be somewhere in the middle.

I thought they were good, much too good for us in passing and movement for 20 minutes. Then it was slow and ponderous with us getting much more possession. I thought we needed that to take the sting out of them and get some possession of our own, even if it was deep.

Then we stepped up and created a few chances , the goal helped, the fact it was a cracker even more so.
2 mistakes and and more dominance for them and we struggled, then we switched and although we were more counter attack, we created the better chances and worried them in possession. From memory they had 2 decent efforts that only caused problems through aa deflection.

I'd say we did a good job for an hour through the game, they were the better side while we had the better chances. 
Long spells of attrition interspersed with excitement and nerves .

• Like 2

I didn't say we played amazingly well, I said it was an exciting game, first 30 minutes aside, and I stand by that. Cannot think of a better one in that respect. There were obviously games we played better, had easier wins etc., but that match was more exciting than anything I can recall recently. 20 shots on target split between both sides, woodwork being hit, a penalty for a change, snatching a winner after letting a two goal lead slip....what's not to like?

What's not to like ? The total dirge of the first 35 minutes, Max's continuous poor kicking (finally resulting in us conceding a goal), unable to find a team mate with a simple pass, lack of movement to create space and give the man on the ball options, Vyners two howlers (got lucky first half). Shots on target included the 3 goals, mehmetis tame effort after a long run, Conway's miss, not exactly edge of the seat stuff. Complete lack of pressing (except Knight, who left a massive hole behind him each time), standing off watching them pick any pass they wanted, us not picking up runners etc. We all see it differently but I thought it was a poor performance/ game and was at least expecting to see a set game plan and more inventiveness after 2 weeks doing nothing else 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, richwwtk said:

No disrespect meant & this isn’t personal. Whoever you chat or sit with then haven’t the foggiest on football matters. You just watch the 90 minutes & that’s it? . What Pearson did without us getting in to relegation trouble was pretty remarkable . When he came in, we had a complete squad who’d downed tools , a massive wage bill & about 30 players .a millwall goal keeper who said publicly that we are a soft touch . All this created by the Lansdown’s , not for the first time either .  2012/13 season when we finished bottom of the league with a whimper . Who was brought in at the start of that season  as a recruitment adviser . Mark Ashton . Brought in by Lansdown . He brought players like stern John etc . Over paid over the hill men who just wanted a final pay day . I don’t know if you or the people around you supported us in those days . We were unbalanced , not even a left back in the squad if I remember correctly . Shaun O’driscoll came in to sort the shit  out , which he did . Ashton Left & SOD laid the foundations for cotts to come in & win league one at a canter. Forward to cotts being sacked which was another summer of complete **** ups by the lansdowns . Who walks through the door again . Mark **** up ashton . Who did exactly the same as before but this time over five years. Signing 60+ players & spending £68m . So excuse me & large parts of our fanbase who haven’t got their heads stuck up sir Steve’s ass watching history repeat its self . 

• Like 1
  • Flames 8

34 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

What's not to like ? The total dirge of the first 35 minutes, Max's continuous poor kicking (finally resulting in us conceding a goal), unable to find a team mate with a simple pass, lack of movement to create space and give the man on the ball options, Vyners two howlers (got lucky first half). Shots on target included the 3 goals, mehmetis tame effort after a long run, Conway's miss, not exactly edge of the seat stuff. Complete lack of pressing (except Knight, who left a massive hole behind him each time), standing off watching them pick any pass they wanted, us not picking up runners etc. We all see it differently but I thought it was a poor performance/ game and was at least expecting to see a set game plan and more inventiveness after 2 weeks doing nothing else 

We didn't have any consistent game plan or style under NP after 2.5 years - & you expect LM to have nailed everything over 2 weeks..?!

I think some people are determined not to want to see positives..!

We had more shots on target yesterday than the vast majority of games I can remember under NP & against a good team who are flying & beat Leicester, with a clean sheet, last time out.

Of course it wasn't perfect - but I thought there were tangible signs of difference in what we did or tried to do - which was impressive after only 2 weeks. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1