Attendance

phantom

11 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

It’s 30 minutes to kick off, It’s 30 minutes to kick off 

sponsored by Bath Watches…

It’s 15 minutes to kick off, It’s 15 minutes to kick off 

sponsored by Bath Watches…

Angry Inside Out GIF by Disney Pixar

I guess they pay a lot of money for someone to say that.

• Facepalm 1

Does anyone else think that the Women's team are starting to eat into our attendances?

Another game today where they will get over 10k, it's a lot to ask for people to buy tickets for both events especially with Xmas approaching. 

While they are in Prem and playing the kind of opposition people want to see, they are going to get good crowds.

The Gas should be getting worried too.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Does anyone else think that the Women's team are starting to eat into our attendances?

Another game today where they will get over 10k, it's a lot to ask for people to buy tickets for both events especially with Xmas approaching. 

While they are in Prem and playing the kind of opposition people want to see, they are going to get good crowds.

Honestly I don’t.

I think the crossover in support for the 2 teams is relatively low, you only have to look at any threads on here about them to see that it is a relatively low level of interest.

There are some very keen fans of both sides but with regards to attending I think it is a small number & the large gates for the women’s games tend to be against the massive clubs (Arsenal, Man U) and/or when the opposition has England stars.

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Honestly I don’t.

I think the crossover in support for the 2 teams is relatively low, you only have to look at any threads on here about them to see that it is a relatively low level of interest.

There are some very keen fans of both sides but with regards to attending I think it is a small number & the large gates for the women’s games tend to be against the massive clubs (Arsenal, Man U) and/or when the opposition has England stars.

Would you agree though that the women's game is more popular with families? The atmosphere seems to suit people who want to take kids more, so the next generation may start taking a bit of hit?

Just now, Port Said Red said:

Would you agree though that the women's game is more popular with families? The atmosphere seems to suit people who want to take kids more, so the next generation may start taking a bit of hit?

Yep, possibly.

However as even staying up is going to be a challenge I can’t see those type of supporters being remotely interested in second tier women’s football, which could well be the prospect in 24/25.

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, possibly.

However as even staying up is going to be a challenge I can’t see those type of supporters being remotely interested in second tier women’s football, which could well be the prospect in 24/25.

True, but they could be a yo-yo team for a few years. 

I think that, what with their success, the Flyers (which is a really fun atmosphere and could be very attractive for kids) potentially moving into a more convenient and suitable venue, and the rugby, the marketing people are going to need to be very creative about how they price things to allow them all to prosper and for Bristol Sport to get the maximum income. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

No, not in the slightest.  I know a few girls whose parents take them, who wouldn’t go and watch a City men’s game , so if anything it might actually be a way for people to start supporting their local club, having previously been a distant prem fan. 

It’s annoying that the WSL clashes with the Bristol Girls league though. That probably stops a large % of the potential interest from attending. 

14 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Bizarrely JL got rid of Pearson because of him not performing well in his role. 

However Downsy has never performed well here in his role yet continues to be employed by us. Very strange.

I suppose arguable that Pearson's role has a direct impact on the progress of the club. Downseys does not. Well not much really unless he's affecting attendances by keeping people away!

Having said that, nothing personal against him but I'm tired of this guy. The announcer is the voice of the club, sets the tone and to a degree the ambience within the stadium. 

For me, he has continually set the wrong tone befitting this (or any) football club with his 'Disney' vibes, lack of football knowledge and makes us a laughing stock with his inability to grasp his content in a professional manner.

Given his gaffe-laden history he appears unsackable, so the wait for a more erudite football type may be a while yet... until the day comes when he decides to hang up his mic. Which may be....never.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I don’t think they realise just how annoying announcements can be. Obviously they just want the cash 💰😖

Every penny coming in is good news, but I wonder how big a commercial masterstroke Watches of Bath is to us.

I believe it might’ve been another commercial deal done behind the back of the bloke who was brought in from the PL and has now left to improve some of our commercial capability.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Every penny coming in is good news, but I wonder how big a commercial masterstroke Watches of Bath is to us.

I believe it might’ve been another commercial deal done behind the back of the bloke who was brought in from the PL and has now left to improve some of our commercial capability.

Would be interesting , I was thinking the same , and commercially yes , but it’s a shame that what would be not even a drop in the ocean of annual turnover creep in

I realise its ‘progress’ with all the commercial and razzmatazz presented choreographed pre match , especially in the Prem , but for fans it’s actually a real shame (IMHO) .

I know I’m going back ! but the natural atmosphere , often tension, and chat and noise , that used to build pre match , especially on night games, and the focus on , and appearance of players to take the stage was something really special.

In fairness , due to age demographic , there’s probably many / most that won’t ever have witnessed it due to the changes over the years

It was part of why live football was special 

The incredible rise in live football on TV and everything that goes with it has also IMHOhad a significant impact on match day crowds and experiences 

I guess you could say our sport has become ‘Americanised’ in some ways , 

Ahhh well , we aren’t going back ! 🤣

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I guess the timing of its inclusion was more ironic because it came a week after I contacted supporter services to raise issues about the whole pre match thing. 😂

*I only contacted them because another poster challenged me to do so after all my moaning about the nonsense spouted over the mic (and the volume of it) pre match. I didn't get a reply, and I didn't expect any 

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

I guess the timing of its inclusion was more ironic because it came a week after I contacted supporter services to raise issues about the whole pre match thing😂

*I only contacted them because another poster challenged me to do so after all my moaning about the nonsense spouted over the mic (and the volume of it) pre match. I didn't get a reply, and I didn't expect any 

Fair play 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Red Billy said:

Reminds of the days of pay on the gate when I was a kid. In the old open end and they announced the crowd and it was ridiculously lower than what was there! Tax fiddled back in the day me thinks! 

There was an audible laugh at least at one game in the 80s.

That was in the days when a few of the gatemen got nicked for being bent. They must have had very large pockets given some of those obvious discrepancies.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Would be interesting , I was thinking the same , and commercially yes , but it’s a shame that what would be not even a drop in the ocean of annual turnover creep in

I realise its ‘progress’ with all the commercial and razzmatazz presented choreographed pre match , especially in the Prem , but for fans it’s actually a real shame (IMHO) .

I know I’m going back ! but the natural atmosphere , often tension, and chat and noise , that used to build pre match , especially on night games, and the focus on , and appearance of players to take the stage was something really special.

In fairness , due to age demographic , there’s probably many / most that won’t ever have witnessed it due to the changes over the years

It was part of why live football was special 

The incredible rise in live football on TV and everything that goes with it has also IMHOhad a significant impact on match day crowds and experiences 

I guess you could say our sport has become ‘Americanised’ in some ways , 

Ahhh well , we aren’t going back ! 🤣

The music pre-game is too loud.  It blocks the atmosphere building.

Go back to any game where there is a minutes silence, or the AG8 stuff (last year v Boro) and you get a more natural build-up of noise because of the quiet beforehand.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I don’t think they realise just how annoying announcements can be. Obviously they just want the cash 💰😖

I agree with you, they are annoying and I don't like it either. I remember years ago going to Coventry and they had a Sky Blues Corner sponsor which was grating. I was just pointing out that if a company is going to offer sponsorship money the clubs ( City, Bears, Flyers) are going to take it, no matter how annoying it is for fans ☹️

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I agree with you, they are annoying and I don't like it either. I remember years ago going to Coventry and they had a Sky Blues Corner sponsor which was grating. I was just pointing out that if a company is going to offer sponsorship money the clubs ( City, Bears, Flyers) are going to take it, no matter how annoying it is for fans ☹️

yes I know, I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was just reiterating that fact. I think it's just made all the more annoying for the fans by the rest of the prematch shite 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

yes I know, I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was just reiterating that fact. I think it's just made all the more annoying for the fans by the rest of the prematch shite 

TBF, the club has it spot on outside the stadium on match days and the sports bar (or whatever its called this week) is also more than good. Concourses are equally good, but when in the actual stadium it tends to drop a bit. I don't know what the answer is but less noise, being able to hear what is being said in the Dolman (and I understand the Atyeo as well) would help. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

TBF, the club has it spot on outside the stadium on match days and the sports bar (or whatever its called this week) is also more than good. Concourses are equally good, but when in the actual stadium it tends to drop a bit. I don't know what the answer is but less noise, being able to hear what is being said in the Dolman (and I understand the Atyeo as well) would help. 

yes, all points I raised with the supporters services. It was fine when DL did the pre-match. There's too much chat on the mic. I don't think anyone needs to know that kick off is next, or that its our boys in red and white. It feels more like a radio show. (I know D is a DJ). It's too loud, I can't hear the bloke behind me. The rest, as you say, outside the main arena is fine. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Lower Lansdown too. The music is so loud that I can’t have a proper conversation with the guys next to me. Background music is fine but it’s like being in a nightclub.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The music is too loud, the music is too frequent.

Downsy and his build-up, well it's clearly club led in fairness but it feels unnecessary or overdone anyway.

Albeit a reflection of how the game evolving, although I reckon rugby worse for it and Women's Football too.

There used to be 'Red n White night' or something, what about a 'Shut the **** up night' where Downsy shuts the **** up and there's no blaring music no-one goes to Ashton Gate to hear anyway? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

There used to be 'Red n White night' or something, what about a 'Shut the **** up night' where Downsy shuts the **** up and there's no blaring music no-one goes to Ashton Gate to hear anyway? 

Apparently that's a goer if we can collect a ton of rocking horse sh** by the New Year.