IGNORED

10 shots on target

And Its Smith

Flashscore says 10. BBC say 8.  Either way it’s the most we have had this season in one game. Up till today we have averaged around 4 per game. I think we can see a bit of how Liam wants us to play and I am sure that the longer he has with them the better it will get. Still very early days obviously.

A bit of criticism for the ‘boring’ first half. Bit harsh in my opinion but with a bit of time it will almost certainly be played with more confidence and familiarity, which will make it look less boring.  4 points from two games and Max hasn’t really been worked massively in either game. Certainly a good sign as well.  But I think the main take-away are those 8-10 shots on target.  Let’s hope that’s a feature going forward 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Flashscore says 10. BBC say 8.  Either way it’s the most we have had this season in one game. Up till today we have averaged around 4 per game. I think we can see a bit of how Liam wants us to play and I am sure that the longer he has with them the better it will get. Still very early days obviously.

A bit of criticism for the ‘boring’ first half. Bit harsh in my opinion but with a bit of time it will almost certainly be played with more confidence and familiarity, which will make it look less boring.  4 points from two games and Max hasn’t really been worked massively in either game. Certainly a good sign as well.  But I think the main take-away are those 8-10 shots on target.  Let’s hope that’s a feature going forward 

I wonder if Gardener-Hickman would have taken the shot from outside the box had Nige still been in charge?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Facepalm 7

10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I agree with most of what you say, but I’m not sure “Max not tested” counts too much if you’ve just conceded two at home!

2 minutes ago, Graham76 said:

I recall him trying a similar shot that was saved during the Nige era so thats not entirely true.  

I asked because none of us know what instructions/roles players are given by the manager.

I noticed today that James hardly ventured outside of the centre circle for long periods so maybe he’d been given that king pin role by Manning - similar to role that John Barnes played when at Liverpool. When James did venture forward he won the penalty

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I asked because none of us know what instructions/roles players are given by the manager.

I noticed today that James hardly ventured outside of the centre circle for long periods so maybe he’d been given that king pin role by Manning - similar to role that John Barnes played when at Liverpool. When James did venture forward he won the penalty

Yeah, I spotted that too. I think the James TGH combo worked really well. I would actually be tempted to play AM from the start on Wednesday, he looked like he was growing with confidence by the minute. 

1 hour ago, Spreadsheet Man said:

Yeah, I spotted that too. I think the James TGH combo worked really well. I would actually be tempted to play AM from the start on Wednesday, he looked like he was growing with confidence by the minute. 

Mehmetti has taken a bit of stick in the media lately on Bells current form he can do no worse i think the kids got something frightened that defender to death when he burst in the box his only downfall is he doesnt track back .

8 shots on target (10 shots total). xG of 1.95.

One was the penalty. That is responsible for 0.79 of the xG.

So it's 7 on target from 9 open play or other set piece shots, for xG of 1.21, or 0.17 xG per non-penalty shot on target.

It's not bad really, and is above our seasonal average. A decent attacking display when measured by quality, although quantity is a little lacking if we're still managing only 9 non-penalty shots.

Good, but there's always room for improvement.

12 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

averaged around 4 per game

So nearer 3 per game.

Edited by ExiledAjax

21 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Or..if the crowd hadn't got on his back a couple of minutes earlier for going backwards, yet again. Nothing to do NP.

I was thinking of what individual instructions players are given, what job is expected of them by the manager etc etc…..obviously none of us are privy to such information.

13 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I agree with most of what you say, but I’m not sure “Max not tested” counts too much if you’ve just conceded two at home!

Two goals conceded, two saves, two scrambles at the near post, and crosses and corners. He was definitely tested.

4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

8 shots on target (10 shots total). xG of 1.95.

One was the penalty. That is responsible for 0.79 of the xG.

So it's 7 on target from 9 open play or other set piece shots, for xG of 1.21, or 0.17 xG per non-penalty shot on target.

It's not bad really, and is above our seasonal average. A decent attacking display when measured by quality, although quantity is a little lacking if we're still managing only 9 non-penalty shots.

Good, but there's always room for improvement.

So nearer 3 per game.

IMG_9092.jpeg

IMG_9093.jpeg

2 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I can't remember the last time we scored from a shot from outside the box, sure there must be others this season, but seems a rare beast

I think it was mentioned in another thread. I believe it was toward the end of last season when Andi Weinmen scored at the South Stand end.

• Admin
3 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Or..if the crowd hadn't got on his back a couple of minutes earlier for going backwards, yet again. Nothing to do NP.

I was wondering at the time if the players had worked out they could create a little space in that pocket that TGH received the ball as Knight had had similar time and space a couple of minutes earlier in near enough the same spot.

6 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I was wondering at the time if the players had worked out they could create a little space in that pocket that TGH received the ball as Knight had had similar time and space a couple of minutes earlier in near enough the same spot.

Think these are the things we will need to look out for going forwards, those rotations in shape to try to find that bit of space or the opportunity to get numerical advantage.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I think it was mentioned in another thread. I believe it was toward the end of last season when Andi Weinmen scored at the South Stand end.

We've been shot shy from outside the box for a very long time. For the last three seasons we've been 23rd, 24th, and then 23rd for "number of shots outside of the box". We're 18th so far this season.

It's been a long term thing. We've just tried to work it into the box, get lots of "entries", and then take high xG shots from close range.

It's not without sense tbh. We all know it takes a special shot to go in from 20 yards. Goals like yesterday's are rare, and with midfielders like Pack, Williams, K. Smith, and even Scott, we've not really had a howitzer in our CM ranks for a long time. With those players I think it did make some sense to use possession in the final third more conservatively rather than peppering the goal with speculative shots.

But if TGH and Knight have that in their arsenal then by all means we should look to unleash it.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2