IGNORED

10 shots on target

And Its Smith

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I wonder why so much emphasis is put on ‘shots on target’. I appreciate that it says team has been creating opportunities but anything else?……..…:dunno:

I know I'm going to regret this but **** it.

In essence a shot on target is an often crucial part of scoring a goal.

Kicking the ball at the goal means that a goal will be scored unless something or someone blocks it. 

Now, here comes the science.

Regardless of where a team is in the table  early on in the season, by the time we get to May there's normally a strong correlation between teams that have a high number of shots on target and teams that do well in the table. There's an even better correlation when you also account for shots on target against and then when you filter it through xG.

So looking at average shots on target per game (plus xG) in November can help us understand if a team is below or above their "par" position in the table, and so we can speculate in an informed way about where we might likely finish in May.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s exactly why I asked whether TGH would have taken the shot had Nige still been in charge.

Difficult to say - but it does feel like in the last 10 years or so long range goals have become more of a rarity, especially higher up the pyramid. I imagine this is probably due to the emphasis on pressing etc

You wouldn’t see this frequency of long range goals anymore 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Difficult to say - but it does feel like in the last 10 years or so long range goals have become more of a rarity, especially higher up the pyramid. I imagine this is probably due to the emphasis on pressing etc

You wouldn’t see this frequency of long range goals anymore 

I hope Drogba’s won it

21 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Lies, damn lies and statistics....

Looked up the match stats on the BBC for our recent home game v Sheffield Wednesday.

Shots - 17

On target - 7

Now if you take into account 2 of the shots off target actually hit the post....

The answer to the op is, not that long ago.....

What question are you answering?  Maybe you are confused and think I wrote something that I didn’t 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Haha 1

On 25/11/2023 at 19:10, Fordy62 said:

I agree with most of what you say, but I’m not sure “Max not tested” counts too much if you’ve just conceded two at home!

😆 Not a chance in hell with either. 

A back header that Vyner was still reliving at full time as he walked off the field and a bloke left unmarked just to belt the ball home. 

It happens it’s football. 

upside of course we scored a worldy, got a Peno and got on the end of second ball after winning a header from a dead ball in their area. 

Edited by REDOXO

54 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

What question are you answering?  Maybe you are confused and think I wrote something that I didn’t 

The bbc show 8 shots on target, they Show 10 in all 

Bbc says 17 in all for the Wednesday game (I'm pretty sure 17 is more than 10?).

Bbc says 7 on target.... but as I said 2 of the off target hit the post.

I understand 8 is bigger than 7 but is that really enough to say that you could see what Manning is trying to do?

I less shot on target, but we didn't hit the woodwork, 7 less shots overall... 

You do the maths....

11 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

The bbc show 8 shots on target, they Show 10 in all 

Bbc says 17 in all for the Wednesday game (I'm pretty sure 17 is more than 10?).

Bbc says 7 on target.... but as I said 2 of the off target hit the post.

I understand 8 is bigger than 7 but is that really enough to say that you could see what Manning is trying to do?

I less shot on target, but we didn't hit the woodwork, 7 less shots overall... 

You do the maths....

Thanks for confirming you are confused! 

• Facepalm 1

I didn't catch it very clearly on the radio as there was chatter in the car, but when LM was asked about TGH strike, he didn't seem overly enthused, and almost seemed to change the subject to it being a team game and being about principles rather than talk much about the goal\TGH.

Did I get that wrong? Like I say, I didn't hear it too clearly.

Most sites seem to say we had 10 shots overall and 8 were on target.

Happy to be corrected.

Don't get me wrong that's still impressive 8 on target, absolutely. 10 overall, that's sort of lower midtable levels, typical conversion rate of a side is maybe 10-15%.

Of shots not shots on target that conversion rate. Own goals and penalties maybe count differently.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous