IGNORED

Harry Cornick

Robbored

Made quite a difference when he can on today providing another option to worry the defence other than the shorter Bell and Conway. His height certainly bothered the Boro defenders more who struggled to stifle him quite a few times.

I wonder if he did enough to earn a start at Soton of Wednesday?

it wouldn’t be a surprise to me if he did start.

• Like 11

I thought he did well too- nice, albeit bumbly, run down the Lansdown side and won a few knocks ons. I wonder whether LM would consider having him and Conway playing together so someone could pick up on the scraps. 

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Deserves to start at Southampton. Conway is better playing with a partner up front.

Beat me to it

I felt like he ran and “pressed” without ever looking like he put any pressure on the Boro back line. Or got close to them. They just passed it round him and went forward again. 

With the ball going forward, did well. Should’ve put Mehmeti in on the left when he broke down the middle and did well down the line in front of Lansdown but when holding a lead, I’d want us to defend from the front better.

Edited by t_b
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Didn't Cornick play as part of a pair of sorts at Luton? Behind the striker maybe albeit in a 3-5-1-1 or similar.

He played alongside / off of Adebayo the season before last, then the signing of Morris turned him more into a squad player, occasionally all three played together.  Until he signed for us last January.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

Made quite a difference when he can on today providing another option to worry the defence other than the shorter Bell and Conway. His height certainly bothered the Boro defenders more who struggled to stifle him quite a few times.

I wonder if he did enough to earn a start at Soton of Wednesday?

it wouldn’t be a surprise to me if he did start.

Works his socks off and gives us something different for sure - but - is still not the answer to what we need

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

If cornick is the answer then I don’t know what the bloody question is 

The question could be "do we have a player who can keep the ball at the top end of the pitch when the game gets stretched?" Or "Do we have a player that tiring defenders don't want to see coming off the bench?"

To me he is a slightly more expensive (allowing for inflation) Matt Taylor, an annoying wasp of a player that works defenders at the point of the game they don't want to be worked.

• Like 13

35 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The question could be "do we have a player who can keep the ball at the top end of the pitch when the game gets stretched?" Or "Do we have a player that tiring defenders don't want to see coming off the bench?"

To me he is a slightly more expensive (allowing for inflation) Matt Taylor, an annoying wasp of a player that works defenders at the point of the game they don't want to be worked.

As with Taylor, limited but annoying - although Taylor's movement far better imo..

I don't think it's anything to do with height (isn't TC taller ?) , I think that Cornick is the perfect sub playing against a possession side like Boro. He looks scruffy, in possession, but he's a ratty annoying player chases everything and can nick the ball. Hard to shake off of it when he is in possession. Somehow always looks knackered  but made an important difference when he came on pushing us up the pitch.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I don't think it's anything to do with height (isn't TC taller ?) , I think that Cornick is the perfect sub playing against a possession side like Boro. He looks scruffy, in possession, but he's a ratty annoying player chases everything and can nick the ball. Hard to shake off of it when he is in possession. Somehow always looks knackered  but made an important difference when he came on pushing us up the pitch.

I do't know if it's his running style or what, but he does look like he's on his last legs!

He had a couple of mazy dribbles down on the right wing towards the end which were excellent.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Without checking I’m unsure whether Cornick is taller than Conway but he certainly looks as if he is. He was able to win several headers and flick-ons, something Conway rarely does.

He definitely impressed me with his cameo appearance yesterday.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, t_b said:

I felt like he ran and “pressed” without ever looking like he put any pressure on the Boro back line. Or got close to them. They just passed it round him and went forward again. 

With the ball going forward, did well. Should’ve put Mehmeti in on the left when he broke down the middle and did well down the line in front of Lansdown but when holding a lead, I’d want us to defend from the front better.

This.  His pressing his terrible,  just runs around for sake of running. Puts zero pressure on the ball, arrives at the player after they’ve already passed it.   Like a dog chasing after a stick!

Where he ran himself out of position randomly running knight had to go and press the furthest player but cornick didn’t think to cover knight, allowed them to play through us so easily.

when he actually gets the ball he ain’t to bad out of possession an absolute headless chicken

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, ZiderMeUp said:

This.  His pressing his terrible,  just runs around for sake of running. Puts zero pressure on the ball, arrives at the player after they’ve already passed it.   Like a dog chasing after a stick!

Where he ran himself out of position randomly running knight had to go and press the furthest player but cornick didn’t think to cover knight, allowed them to play through us so easily.

when he actually gets the ball he ain’t to bad out of possession an absolute headless chicken

I think you could’ve said the same about Knight (more so in the first half anyways). If only one player is pressing, it’s pretty easy to knock it around them. I thought we’d actually been tasked NOT to get drawn into a press, which is why there was so many stand-offs where their keeper had the ball and we all just stood there. Looked a bit weird at the time, suppose it all worked out in the end. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Without checking I’m unsure whether Cornick is taller than Conway but he certainly looks as if he is. He was able to win several headers and flick-ons, something Conway rarely does.

He definitely impressed me with his cameo appearance yesterday.

I think it's playing style. TC with his back to the defender early on, knows there is no one up with him, backs into the defender hoping to control the ball or let others pick up on a poor clearance. When Cornick came on we had pushed a few more forward and he tries to win the header, flick on . He does appear more physical , but it was also a different part of the game. I think he suits that later more open part of the game.

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Excellent description of HC

3 hours ago, grifty said:

I do't know if it's his running style or what, but he does look like he's on his last legs!

He had a couple of mazy dribbles down on the right wing towards the end which were excellent.

Reminds me of a dressage pony, seems to run on his top-toes…albeit nowhere near as elegant as a dressage pony. 😉

• Like 1