IGNORED

Saints make changes ahead of City's visit

22A

https://www.southamptonfc.news/match-coverage/alcaraz-returns-25-year-old-dropped-southampton-predicted-xi-v-bristol-city/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

The visit of Bristol City is likely to present a very different test to the one Southampton faced in the long trip north on Saturday, the Robins themselves confident having got seven points from their last three games and coming off the back of a 3-2 win over Middlesbrough at the weekend.

Having failed to add to their opening goal on Saturday, and with Stewart unable to come in from the off, this could open the door for another attacking player to come in. That man could be Carlos Alcaraz, who has impressed this season playing as a false nine.

From the Saintsweb forum;

4 hours ago, JRM said:

Don't know much about Bristol City, results seem inconsistent, Pearson had them very well organised defensively (they've only conceded 18 goals in 17 games compared to us conceding 27 in the same time). 

However Pearson has been sacked and replaced by Liam Manning who had been doing an excellent job at Oxford with quite different tactics. 

Manning sounds similar to our Russ, favouring a possession style of play, having worked for City football group and also having a spell managing MK Dons. 

Christ on a bike, 90 mins of two teams passing around endlessly and aimlessly  in their own halves, waiting for the opportunity.  

There are few comments about the endless passing, could be a bit boring maybe ? I'd settle for 0-0 personally.

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

From the Saintsweb forum;

4 hours ago, JRM said:

Don't know much about Bristol City, results seem inconsistent, Pearson had them very well organised defensively (they've only conceded 18 goals in 17 games compared to us conceding 27 in the same time). 

However Pearson has been sacked and replaced by Liam Manning who had been doing an excellent job at Oxford with quite different tactics. 

Manning sounds similar to our Russ, favouring a possession style of play, having worked for City football group and also having a spell managing MK Dons. 

Christ on a bike, 90 mins of two teams passing around endlessly and aimlessly  in their own halves, waiting for the opportunity.  

There are few comments about the endless passing, could be a bit boring maybe ? I'd settle for 0-0 personally.

I’m thinking we’ll still have enough of our counter attacking play in the tank that we’ll be a threat on the break against them.

We always did pretty well against Martins Swansea as we were able to sit back and allow them to pass aimlessly and then attack quickly when we get the ball.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, grifty said:

I’m thinking we’ll still have enough of our counter attacking play in the tank that we’ll be a threat on the break against them.

We always did pretty well against Martins Swansea as we were able to sit back and allow them to pass aimlessly and then attack quickly when we get the ball.

Was gonna say the same, although Southampton have a bit more quality than Swansea!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, grifty said:

Southampton have won 6 and drawn 3 in the last 9 matches, scoring 16 and conceding 8.

I'm not sure its true that they pass endlessly or aimlessly despite what one of their fans says above.

But, they are due a defeat..

• Robin 1

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

In case anyone`s interested, the game is on the red button tomorrow according to the Sky site.

Sports-10 will have it on (done with RTV).

Not yet had any issues with that stream, good pic, no pop-ups, no buffering, no viruses - always a first time of course.

• Like 2

Here’s some data:

Image.thumb.jpeg.0484ca2f00fcc0df2de6618a5ca43c02.jpeg

Saints have a strong attack, defence under-performs, they patiently build-up, don’t play on the counter much (not much opportunity in fairness).  They press a lot, but aren’t very efficient at it.  Earlier this season we saw teams play through them quite easily.  They’ve improved a bit as the season has gone on.

Not sure that’s much that anyone didn’t already know tbh.

56 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Southampton have won 6 and drawn 3 in the last 9 matches, scoring 16 and conceding 8.

I'm not sure its true that they pass endlessly or aimlessly despite what one of their fans says above.

But, they are due a defeat..

I agree, I was more referring to Swansea who to me always passed it about but didn’t really have any cutting edge or quality up to. Piroe could put the ball in the back of the net but never seemed to be involved in the build up play too much.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Sports-10 will have it on (done with RTV).

Not yet had any issues with that stream, good pic, no pop-ups, no buffering, no viruses - always a first time of course.

I only found out about this site a few weeks ago when someone posted a link. As you say so far so good, but I just don't get it. It's free, no adverts, I have no idea who runs the domain and how they can stream so many games. Not complaining at all :) but just don't get the setup.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Here’s some data:

Image.thumb.jpeg.0484ca2f00fcc0df2de6618a5ca43c02.jpeg

Saints have a strong attack, defence under-performs, they patiently build-up, don’t play on the counter much (not much opportunity in fairness).  They press a lot, but aren’t very efficient at it.  Earlier this season we saw teams play through them quite easily.  They’ve improved a bit as the season has gone on.

Not sure that’s much that anyone didn’t already know tbh.

Yep, seems like they've improved over the last 9 games.

Before that they had lost 4 on the spin scoring 2 and conceding 12 (4 tough games tbf).

Hopefully, they'll revert back to that on Wednesday.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I only found out about this site a few weeks ago when someone posted a link. As you say so far so good, but I just don't get it. It's free, no adverts, I have no idea who runs the domain and how they can stream so many games. Not complaining at all :) but just don't get the setup.

The stream hypnotises you . They sneak into your place whilst you’re under the influence and nick all your stuff which they then sell on EBay. 
Or , at least , I think that’s how they fund it.

:dunno: