IGNORED

This situation is entirely self-inflicted.

Redland

3 minutes ago, Redland said:

Under Nigel Pearson after many difficult years I was genuinely enjoying going to watch City again.

The team and fans seemed united. The players were committed and fighting for the cause and I felt we were moving forward. For the first season in years I was not worried about relegation and felt that with a couple of quality additions we could be aiming for the top six.

I was genuinely shocked when Pearson was sacked and I am sad to say that after 60 years a lot of my enthusiasm for the club drained out of me. Pearson was one of the few managers we have had who has a proven track record including promotion from the Championship. The board then choose to throw it all away and have appointed an inexperienced manager with no Championship experience and already the consequences are plain to see.

For me the tragic thing is that this situation was unnecessary and entirely self-inflicted. Sorry if this is going over some old ground but felt it only fair to let LM have the benefit of his “new manager bounce” before commenting.

I think “bounce” is putting it a bit strongly. All the bounce of a punctured beach ball!

And the atmosphere in the ground is terrible because for many fans their heart isn’t in it at the moment. Both the players and supporters seem to be going through the motions, which often happens after a major shock. 

We have a coach who has achieved nothing tangible and has never coached at this level before. Clearly he has quite fixed ways about how he wants the team to play (the “Pep way” -but hardly surprising as he had time at one of their feeder clubs) but he had a paper thin squad, the quality of which is debatable and certainly not amongst the 6 best in this division, whatever the owners might say. 

So this is the biggest challenge he has ever faced, and a large proportion of the fans never really wanted him anyway. It has all the echoes of a previous appointment that went sour and from which the club took a number of years to recover under our previous manager. Until of course the owners decided to rinse and repeat and here we are!

• Like 6

What situation? Beating boro? Pushing a relegated prem team close in their ground? Dominating another pp team and losing unluckily? 

This forum is embarrassing. Like the great love of your life is gone. Pearson was bang average and never taking us anywhere. Don’t like it get couple hundred million together and buy the club. Baffling the support he got for finishing 14th. With Weimann’s best ever season. A 12m quid striker and a 25m midfielder as well. We will see what NP next job is but it won’t be better than city. He is on the way out of the game. Why would he get a new deal? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 3
  • Facepalm 13

7 minutes ago, glynriley said:

That old chestnut. If you don’t like it, buy the club 🤣

What a *****. 

Tired of the moaning about a bloke on the way out of the game who was bang average. You lot still show up every week. Stay home you don’t like the way it is being run. Nope everyone still showing up. No one organising protests. NOTHING! All talk no action. You lot are only happy when you are unhappy. Try embracing the change and appreciate the better football. You lot have Holden more patience. Embarrassing

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 9

32 minutes ago, glynriley said:

The brutal truth is Steve has lost interest, and handed the reigns to his idiot son. 

Jon has then handed the keys to the kingdom to Brian, a failure as as a manager, but a legend as a player, which is why JL probably loves him. 

They have an ideology of what the perfect football manager looks like, and have gone all in on someone they think can replicate the the job the geezer at Ipswich has done. 

In my opinion we’ve dropped a massive bollock. Slow and steady under Nige would win the race, but JL has gone all in with 7,2 here. 

This 

I live a little distance away and have three kids, so don’t often get the chance to watch the games.

Have listened to every match religiously on the City app, though. Until today. Have completely lost interest and faith in the people that run the club. I’ll carry on supporting the team, but the people running the show are just not up to the job.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Tired of the moaning about a bloke on the way out of the game who was bang average. You lot still show up every week. Stay home you don’t like the way it is being run. Nope everyone still showing up. No one organising protests. NOTHING! All talk no action. You lot are only happy when you are unhappy. Try embracing the change and appreciate the better football. You lot have Holden more patience. Embarrassing

Your an interesting poster but you have let yourself down there. Nigel Pearson's Managerial CV is not bang average.

Better is your perception and your opinion. That is all that is. In four games you couldn't evidence base your better.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

We played 20 minutes of good football today, the rest was bollocks. Thirty three passes starting with your back four and ending with your back four giving it away is not an improvement. Not saying we wont get that sustained football in games but we ain’t there just yet.

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I suspect you are about to discover fairly quickly, that our new HC is somewhat out of his depth. 

Our paper thin squad will always struggle in such a relentless league and this is not a good mix for a hugely inexperienced coach.

As for appreciating the better football! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

That bloke is a grade A fanny, cant handle the heat so he’s scurrying away. Bitch ass ******

Certainly not come across great the last few weeks. He has no qualifications to be in the job he is in and looked like a rabbit in headlights in any media duties he’s had since the sacking of NP. Looked completely lost at Hen and Chicken the other night. 

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, Redland said:

Under Nigel Pearson after many difficult years I was genuinely enjoying going to watch City again.

The team and fans seemed united. The players were committed and fighting for the cause and I felt we were moving forward. For the first season in years I was not worried about relegation and felt that with a couple of quality additions we could be aiming for the top six.

I was genuinely shocked when Pearson was sacked and I am sad to say that after 60 years a lot of my enthusiasm for the club drained out of me. Pearson was one of the few managers we have had who has a proven track record including promotion from the Championship. The board then choose to throw it all away and have appointed an inexperienced manager with no Championship experience and already the consequences are plain to see.

For me the tragic thing is that this situation was unnecessary and entirely self-inflicted. Sorry if this is going over some old ground but felt it only fair to let LM have the benefit of his “new manager bounce” before commenting.

“New manager bounce” was never applicable to this situation.

Pearson was already getting about as much as you could reasonably expect from the squad - particularly given the injuries he was contending with towards the end - and there were no problems with morale in the squad. So there was no reason to think the new guy was suddenly going to do a lot better.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, petehinton said:

maybe they’re starting to realise 

Mr ‘course I’ve got the balls to go on the radio’. What a tosser.

The way he acted like an arrogant ****, constantly rolling his eyes and making sarcastic comments at the fans forum, proved to me he doesn’t give a shit about the fan base.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I suspect you are about to discover fairly quickly, that our new HC is somewhat out of his depth. 

Our paper thin squad will always struggle in such a relentless league and this is not a good mix for a hugely inexperienced coach.

As for appreciating the better football! 

I don’t get that impression in the slightest. Everyone looks motivated and ready to go to me. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

What situation? Beating boro? Pushing a relegated prem team close in their ground? Dominating another pp team and losing unluckily? 

This forum is embarrassing. Like the great love of your life is gone. Pearson was bang average and never taking us anywhere. Don’t like it get couple hundred million together and buy the club. Baffling the support he got for finishing 14th. With Weimann’s best ever season. A 12m quid striker and a 25m midfielder as well. We will see what NP next job is but it won’t be better than city. He is on the way out of the game. Why would he get a new deal? 

"Beating boro? Pushing a relegated prem team close in their ground? Dominating another pp team and losing unluckily?"  = 3 points out of a possible nine.

Add the QPR game to that equation and its four points from a possible twelve.

If Pearson was "bang average" what does that make Manning based on his points tally since taking over? I don't imagine the Lansdowns are giving each other high fives at the moment.

I don't think this forum is embarrassing.

I like reading points of view/arguments from all sides.

Don't agree with some, fully support others, but all have the right to have their say and be heard.

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

You’re making yourself look a *** again. 

Yes. I Show up every week, because I’m a Bristol City fan. 

No, I won’t stay home, because I was here before the Lansdowns or Tinnion. 

And as far as patience goes, I’ve shown it for 40 odd years, it’s a shame the owners couldn’t show it for Nigel Pearson. 

Enjoy your new messiah, I fear you won’t have long. 

• Like 12
  • Flames 5
  • Robin 2

To be honest LM has taken over a squad with the identical problems that NP was contending with...... same players,same injuries and being massively inconsistent. We have the occasional game where we build our hopes up only to be dashed the following week. It's a mess that changing the manager was not going to solve anything.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

I think most City fans realise the club is in a mess. NP did at least give stability. Manning has no credentials at this level, no experience and will not challenge the Lansdownes. The sooner the Lansdownes go, the better. Shambles. End of….

The irony is I actually don’t think the club is in a mess - or at least nowhere near the mess it was in either our last relegation season of 2012-2013 or when Pearson took over in 2021.

Pearson and Gould (and I suspect Tinnion) did a good job of stabilising the club, streamlining the wage bill, improving the culture and putting us in much better shape off the pitch. The Scott sale without investment is disappointing and it feels as though SL has lost interest but I actually think there is a better platform for success at the club now than at any point I can remember. 

But such platforms can easily be squandered by bad decisions and that is the risk. I think Manning could prove a good appointment but the timing, communication and failure to read the fans mood has created a perception of a crisis that has made the atmosphere around his start much tougher than it needs to be and - whilst I’ve not heard it - it sounds like he’s been quite rash in the post-match interview and criticised aspects of the club’s culture and mentality that only seem to have become a problem since Pearson was sacked.

I honestly think pretty much every decision made over the past four months could have been understood and appreciated - even if not fully agreed with - by fans if the club had shown a bit more understanding of the need to communicate with fans and understand potential reactions  before doing things

But not investing the Scott funds without anticipating some fans might have hoped those funds would be spent, losing the CEO without establishing a clear narrative for the change, sacking the manager without realising his level of popularity across the fanbase and appointing a replacement who lacks experience without sufficiently selling his positive attributes to the fanbase have all created an impression of crisis where none needs to exist. So much of it could be avoided by understanding the need to communicate with fans and preparing an explanation for inevitable questions before those questions are asked.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

You can't of been to ashton gate then, they look like rabbits in headlights confused and not knowing what to do

I was there. If they look like rabbits in headlights dominating games I can’t wait for when he gets some players back. 

3 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

"Beating boro? Pushing a relegated prem team close in their ground? Dominating another pp team and losing unluckily?"  = 3 points out of a possible nine.

Add the QPR game to that equation and its four points from a possible twelve.

If Pearson was "bang average" what does that make Manning based on his points tally since taking over? I don't imagine the Lansdowns are giving each other high fives at the moment.

I don't think this forum is embarrassing.

I like reading points of view/arguments from all sides.

Don't agree with some, fully support others, but all have the right to have their say and be heard.

He has had 4 games to implement a style. Something we did not have under NP. Writing him off after 4 tough games just shows this is an emotional response from you. QPR had new manager bounce and Manning had 2 training sessions. Boro have been flying up the table. Southampton also flying up the table with probably 4-5 times the wage budget and took a wonder strike to beat us. Today we dominated the game and individual errors cost us. Something NP bemoaned plenty in his time here and didn’t really cut out either. 

4 minutes ago, glynriley said:

You’re making yourself look a *** again. 

Yes. I Show up every week, because I’m a Bristol City fan. 

No, I won’t stay home, because I was here before the Lansdowns or Tinnion. 

And as far as patience goes, I’ve shown it for 40 odd years, it’s a shame the owners couldn’t show it for Nigel Pearson. 

Enjoy your new messiah, I fear you won’t have long. 

Why because I am not with all you withered dinosaurs? NP had patience. He rewarded us with consecutive bottom half finishes. Cheers nige. Bloke couldn’t be bothered to go to training Monday through Wednesday but let’s give him a new deal. Oh he isn’t a coach he is a manager. What did he do then? Didn’t implement a style, didn’t coach anyone, said he don’t deal with agents so what good was he? Then wanted cause discourse throughout the club because he couldn’t work through the contract he had. Had to be a stubborn old man and be given something he didn't deserve

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 3

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

The irony is I actually don’t think the club is in a mess - or at least nowhere near the mess it was in either our last relegation season of 2012-2013 or when Pearson took over in 2021.

Pearson and Gould (and I suspect Tinnion) did a good job of stabilising the club, streamlining the wage bill, improving the culture and putting us in much better shape off the pitch. The Scott sale without investment is disappointing and it feels as though SL has lost interest but I actually think there is a better platform for success at the club now than at any point I can remember. 

But such platforms can easily be squandered by bad decisions and that is the risk. I think Manning could prove a good appointment but the timing, communication and failure to read the fans mood has created a perception of a crisis that has made the atmosphere around his start much tougher than it needs to be and - whilst I’ve not heard it - it sounds like he’s been quite rash in the post-match interview and criticised aspects of the club’s culture and mentality that only seem to have become a problem since Pearson was sacked.

I honestly think pretty much every decision made over the past four months could have been understood and appreciated - even if not fully agreed with - by fans if the club had shown a bit more understanding of the need to communicate with fans and understand potential reactions  before doing things

But not investing the Scott funds without anticipating some fans might have hoped those funds would be spent, losing the CEO without establishing a clear narrative for the change, sacking the manager without realising his level of popularity across the fanbase and appointing a replacement who lacks experience without sufficiently selling his positive attributes to the fanbase have all created an impression of crisis where none needs to exist. So much of it could be avoided by understanding the need to communicate with fans and preparing an explanation for inevitable questions before those questions are asked.

Well your last paragraph, sums it up nicely - Shambles.

I could add loads more but cant be arsed as most know the “list”.