IGNORED

This situation is entirely self-inflicted.

Redland

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I was there. If they look like rabbits in headlights dominating games I can’t wait for when he gets some players back. 

He has had 4 games to implement a style. Something we did not have under NP. Writing him off after 4 tough games just shows this is an emotional response from you. QPR had new manager bounce and Manning had 2 training sessions. Boro have been flying up the table. Southampton also flying up the table with probably 4-5 times the wage budget and took a wonder strike to beat us. Today we dominated the game and individual errors cost us. Something NP bemoaned plenty in his time here and didn’t really cut out either. 

Why because I am not with all you withered dinosaurs? NP had patience. He rewarded us with consecutive bottom half finishes. Cheers nige. Bloke couldn’t be bothered to go to training Monday through Wednesday but let’s give him a new deal. Oh he isn’t a coach he is a manager. What did he do then? Didn’t implement a style, didn’t coach anyone, said he don’t deal with agents so what good was he? Then wanted cause discourse throughout the club because he couldn’t work through the contract he had. Had to be a stubborn old man and be given something he didn't deserve

You’re making yourself look like a complete and utter nause with comments like this.   And you had the nerve to call someone out earlier saying you come on here for ‘grown up conversation’ (or something like that). Take your own advice.  

Edited by lenred
  • Like 11

33 minutes ago, petehinton said:

maybe they’re starting to realise 

Either he’s been told to leave it by JL or it is his choice.

Whichever it doesn’t look good to me, he was more than happy enough to be a prime mover in the removal of the last manager but seemingly now doesn’t want to stick around to defend the new appointment he was a big part of.

His elevation into a role that if you believe JL combines part of Phil Alexander’s old one & Director of Football has to be the worst example of over promotion since Liz Truss became Prime Minister.

• Like 7
  • Flames 4

Just now, GrahamC said:

Either he’s been told to leave it by JL or it is his choice.

Whichever it doesn’t look good to me, he was more than happy enough to be a prime mover in the removal of the last manager but seemingly now doesn’t want to stick around to defend the new appointment he was a big part of.

His elevation into a role that if you believe JL combines part of Phil Alexander’s old one & Director of Football has to be the worst example of over promotion since Liz Truss became Prime Minister.

It’ll be his choice I’d say, I don’t think someone at that level would be told what to do. Players can be told by management (and ironically, Tinnion), but I can’t see how Tinns would be told to do something like this for the level he’s at. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

I was there. If they look like rabbits in headlights dominating games I can’t wait for when he gets some players back. 

He has had 4 games to implement a style. Something we did not have under NP. Writing him off after 4 tough games just shows this is an emotional response from you. QPR had new manager bounce and Manning had 2 training sessions. Boro have been flying up the table. Southampton also flying up the table with probably 4-5 times the wage budget and took a wonder strike to beat us. Today we dominated the game and individual errors cost us. Something NP bemoaned plenty in his time here and didn’t really cut out either. 

Why because I am not with all you withered dinosaurs? NP had patience. He rewarded us with consecutive bottom half finishes. Cheers nige. Bloke couldn’t be bothered to go to training Monday through Wednesday but let’s give him a new deal. Oh he isn’t a coach he is a manager. What did he do then? Didn’t implement a style, didn’t coach anyone, said he don’t deal with agents so what good was he? Then wanted cause discourse throughout the club because he couldn’t work through the contract he had. Had to be a stubborn old man and be given something he didn't deserve

I think, somewhere within your posts, there is the kernel of a good point, in the sense that it is easy to look at Pearson’s reign with rose-tinted spectacles but we struggled for consistency and results weren’t great. I’d caveat that by pointing out that there were obvious mitigating factors. We can disagree on the extent they should mitigate but I don’t think anyone can deny the backdrop Pearson worked under.

However I think you are badly undermining your credibility by massively overstating Pearson’s flaws whilst ignoring the very obvious positives. And accusing someone with a very public undiagnosed health condition that is obviously badly impacting him of “not  being bothered” to turn up to training makes you sound like a callous arsehole.

From your other posts, I suspect you really aren’t a callous arsehole at all but I think you might be letting frustration get to you a bit.

• Like 5
  • Flames 4

35 minutes ago, One Team said:

Without doubt Pete. You could see it on their faces at the fans forum. 

And they were frightened to death about the questions :laughcont:

And the round of applause for the Lansdowns and the applause at the end really shook them..

Edited by bcfc01

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think, somewhere within your posts, there is the kernel of a good point, in the sense that it is easy to look at Pearson’s reign with rose-tinted spectacles but we struggled for consistency and results weren’t great. I’d caveat that by pointing out that there were obvious mitigating factors. We can disagree on the extent they should mitigate but I don’t think anyone can deny the backdrop Pearson worked under.

However I think you are badly undermining your credibility by massively overstating Pearson’s flaws whilst ignoring the very obvious positives. And accusing someone with a very public undiagnosed health condition that is obviously badly impacting him of “not  being bothered” to turn up to training makes you sound like a callous arsehole.

From your other posts, I suspect you really aren’t a callous arsehole at all but I think you might be letting frustration get to you a bit.

No I am an arsehole 🤣 and this was what I had heard before the back stuff. I have always said NP was fine at a lot of things. I think he was appointed for the sole purpose of stabilising the club. He did his job but I don’t think there was ever the intention to get sorted out and give him a new deal and money to spend.

He never convinced me on a match day and gets far too much credit imo for the wage budget and playing youth. Those were absolutely necessary whether it was Dean Holden, Lee Johnson, Nigel Pearson or Pep Guardiola. 

I am honestly not frustrated. Today was enjoyable while being frustrated we lost a game we were convincingly better in. Yet the NP bias is still so rampant we can’t get a glimmer of positivity. 

As far as credibility and all that, I really don’t care. I have my opinions and will argue them. This place used to be good for that but is awfully cliquy now. You have to follow others for “credibility” 

1 hour ago, Redland said:

Under Nigel Pearson after many difficult years I was genuinely enjoying going to watch City again.

The team and fans seemed united. The players were committed and fighting for the cause and I felt we were moving forward. For the first season in years I was not worried about relegation and felt that with a couple of quality additions we could be aiming for the top six.

I was genuinely shocked when Pearson was sacked and I am sad to say that after 60 years a lot of my enthusiasm for the club drained out of me. Pearson was one of the few managers we have had who has a proven track record including promotion from the Championship. The board then choose to throw it all away and have appointed an inexperienced manager with no Championship experience and already the consequences are plain to see.

For me the tragic thing is that this situation was unnecessary and entirely self-inflicted. Sorry if this is going over some old ground but felt it only fair to let LM have the benefit of his “new manager bounce” before commenting.

We are about the same age. And I feel exactly the same way. 

This is truly horrifying! 

12 minutes ago, tin said:

Still early days for Manning, obviously, but the change is an avoidable setback. I suspect we’d have got more from today and at QPR if the change hadn’t been made but here we are.

Yes but could be a case of one step back to take two steps forward. How I see it anyway. The powers at the top do not help whatsoever though. Putting the pressure of top 6 on either NP or Manning was unfair. 

However, I see enough to be top half and I feel better about that with Manning than NP. The base is there. However, it is goals that make you successful. We are 14th but have a better defensive record than about 10 of those sides. However, we are bottom 6 in terms of goals. What Manning brings is more shots, more chances and eventually(hopefully) more goals. Wells returning will help massively. Him fit we may be talking about these last 4 games very differently. We should recruit someone who can play in the front 3 as well. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yes but could be a case of one step back to take two steps forward. How I see it anyway. The powers at the top do not help whatsoever though. Putting the pressure of top 6 on either NP or Manning was unfair. 

However, I see enough to be top half and I feel better about that with Manning than NP. The base is there. However, it is goals that make you successful. We are 14th but have a better defensive record than about 10 of those sides. However, we are bottom 6 in terms of goals. What Manning brings is more shots, more chances and eventually(hopefully) more goals. Wells returning will help massively. Him fit we may be talking about these last 4 games very differently. We should recruit someone who can play in the front 3 as well. 

The only thing I agree with you here is you saying “the powers at the top do not help matters whatsoever”. No shit, Sherlock! They are wholly culpable for whatever happens - good or, more likely, bad. 

I don’t share your view that binning proven PL-winning experience for another hopeful inexperienced punt will pay off, but that’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. Nothing against Manning, this ain’t on him. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tin said:

The only thing I agree with you here is you saying “the powers at the top do not help matters whatsoever”. No shit, Sherlock! They are wholly culpable for whatever happens - good or, more likely, bad. 

I don’t share your view that binning proven PL-winning experience for another hopeful inexperienced punt will pay off, but that’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. Nothing against Manning, this ain’t on him. 

NP hasn’t done anything for about 10 years. He wasn’t exactly successful in the premier league either. I just don’t think it was crazy to get rid and get in an up and coming coach with a more hands on approach. I just don’t see all the doom and gloom of the decision. 

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

NP hasn’t done anything for about 10 years. He wasn’t exactly successful in the premier league either. I just don’t think it was crazy to get rid and get in an up and coming coach with a more hands on approach. I just don’t see all the doom and gloom of the decision. 

Like JL and Tins, you believe the root cause was Nige being old and not hands-on.

You may well be right, it’s not doom and gloom, but it’s a leap of faith at the mo’ that was the reason and that’s the change that was required to remedy.

If you get the root cause wrong, you choose the wrong solution.

My view, fwiw, is that the biggest problem was lack of investment in the players / playing squad, regardless of who is in charge.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Like JL and Tins, you believe the root cause was Nige being old and not hands-on.

You may well be right, it’s not doom and gloom, but it’s a leap of faith at the mo’ that was the reason and that’s the change that was required to remedy.

If you get the root cause wrong, you choose the wrong solution.

My view, fwiw, is that the biggest problem was lack of investment in the players / playing squad, regardless of who is in charge.

That is fair as I thought we needed one more. Which NP was part of that problem too. Think it looks pretty clear they did not want to invest too much under NP, rightly or wrongly. Think it looks like he was never going to be extended. Appointed to get us through the FFP tight years. Whether you agree or not, it is a normal football decision to make. Even if they go about plans completely the wrong way. 

I do think the football under LM will help attract different players. My opinion of course but we are recruiting lads in their late teens and early 20s. They want a pathway. They want coaching. They want to play nice slick football. I do think homework gets done on teams. Finishing 14th with a turgid style of playing for set pieces or 14th starting to move the ball around quick and creating chances are two different things for a 21 year old making a big decision on how to progress his career. Imo

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

That is fair as I thought we needed one more. Which NP was part of that problem too. Think it looks pretty clear they did not want to invest too much under NP, rightly or wrongly. Think it looks like he was never going to be extended. Appointed to get us through the FFP tight years. Whether you agree or not, it is a normal football decision to make. Even if they go about plans completely the wrong way. 

I do think the football under LM will help attract different players. My opinion of course but we are recruiting lads in their late teens and early 20s. They want a pathway. They want coaching. They want to play nice slick football. I do think homework gets done on teams. Finishing 14th with a turgid style of playing for set pieces or 14th starting to move the ball around quick and creating chances are two different things for a 21 year old making a big decision on how to progress his career. Imo

Why would any player be happy in 14th when we’ve got a top 6 squad? 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

Why would any player be happy in 14th when we’ve got a top 6 squad? 

We are close I think. Wouldn’t say a favourite but the margins are so fine from spots 4-21. Conway firing like he did last season then it looks a lot different. Something you can’t really account for, a drop of form that drastic. What I’ll say is he is getting more chances under LM than he did the last few with NP. Still need another to play across the front 3 imo but the return of Wells will also help

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Whether he was gonna be extended or not, should’ve had no bearing on playing squad investment.  Playing squad investment should’ve happened regardless.  So there shouldn’t be a “rightly or wrongly” about it.  And if that was the case, they should’ve acted in the summer.  Because they’ve left their new man in no-man’s land for 11 games until the window opens.  He might get some in early, but likelihood is most activity will be late in the window, so we will have played 14 games (29 in total) by the time any new players are in and possibly longer until they are embedded.

Sacking football managers is a normal football decision.

Bringing managers in to do a specific role, e.g. save from relegation, sort out a mess, and then moving them on is a normal football decision.

Sacking Nige WHEN they did (ignoring the reasons) is NOT a normal football decision.  They should’ve done it in the summer, or next summer, I don’t care which.  I’m not tied to who the Bristol City manager is, but I expect sensible football decisions.  This one stank the house out in cluelessness.  I’m right behind Liam Manning though, like I was Nige.

I think your second paragraph is just trying to fit a narrative (my opinion on your opinion), because if you look at the recruitment facts, it didn’t stop Jason Knight (22), Haydon Roberts (21) or TGH (21) signing did it?  They were all keen to join “turgid” City.  There are others before them too.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Roe said:

Not saying you're saying this, but the idea that our players weren't being "coached" before Manning came in is absurd

Glad you said that.

I guess much depends on what you want to believe doesn’t it.

If you want to buy “we want an on the grass coach” as the players weren’t being coached by Fleming and Euell, then fine.  But it’s just spin from JL and Tins imho to make the sacking of Nige seem more “right”.

WTF were the Robins Uncut videos?  Fake?

When opposing managers say we are well coached under Nige, I take that as a sign that we are - well coached.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think your second paragraph is just trying to fit a narrative (my opinion on your opinion), because if you look at the recruitment facts, it didn’t stop Jason Knight (22), Haydon Roberts (21) or TGH (21) signing did it?  They were all keen to join “turgid” City.  There are others before them too.

Yeah that bit is patently nonsense. A young player would have seen the facts of Pearsons reign as being the club that gave academy prospects the most minutes and progressed Semenyo and Scott to premier league moves and would not unreasonably conclude that it was good place to develop. They may meet Liam Manning and like him and want to be coached by him but the prior factors under Pearson (which may remain under Manning) would be a far bigger pull factor.

• Like 1

The players and the fans being united was our best chance of getting out of this division. That's how Sheffield Utd and Luton got out of it. Its how Coventry got to the play off final. Obviously they had some good players too but for example Sheffield Utd didnt really play too well, they just had that team spirit. 

It's all well and good having processes and all that but unity is a massive ingredient in a successful team. Mix that with some decent players and you're onto a winner. 

We didn't get to the play off final previously by playing fantastic attacking football. We got there because of that unity we had. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Whether he was gonna be extended or not, should’ve had no bearing on playing squad investment.  Playing squad investment should’ve happened regardless.  So there shouldn’t be a “rightly or wrongly” about it.  And if that was the case, they should’ve acted in the summer.  Because they’ve left their new man in no-man’s land for 11 games until the window opens.  He might get some in early, but likelihood is most activity will be late in the window, so we will have played 14 games (29 in total) by the time any new players are in and possibly longer until they are embedded.

Bringing managers in to do a specific role, e.g. save from relegation, sort out a mess, and then moving them on is a normal football decision.

Sacking Nige WHEN they did (ignoring the reasons) is NOT a normal football decision.  They should’ve done it in the summer, or next summer, I don’t care which.  I’m not tied to who the Bristol City manager is, but I expect sensible football decisions.  This one stank the house out in cluelessness.  I’m right behind Liam Manning though, like I was Nige.

I think Dickie as well, has arguably been our player of the season.

I think the boos yesterday, were more around the manner in which we lost in the 95 mins. The game itself was playing out as two mid table teams playing out the game. Norwich knew they had stolen it due to some piss poor defending by Vyner at the end.

I can see what Manning is working to achieve, he's just being let down unfortunately by a few players, who either are low on confidence or making errors due to lack of application and concentration. The like of which we didn't really see for the last 12 months under NP.

I was angry after the game and then on the Forever Bristol City podcast. Not by the way the team played, but by the manner we once again for the second home game running gave up those 2 goals.

I feel for Manning though, the resentment felt by many for the manner of NP's departure and subsequent comments by the SLT is being transposed onto him. The patient build up is so removed from our previous way of playing, that it is going to take time to adjust. Not helped by playing right footers on the left, causing an imbalance. Certainly without the introduction of a number of players in Jan (unlikely of course) i can't see us being anything other than mid table this season.

Who knows what goes on in the dressing room after a game like that. But I'd like to think some strong words need to be said about our intensity in defending from the 1st minute to the 95th. When we have the ball, a number of players for me switch off. The 95 min wasn't the first time Vyner was caught out yesterday (twice on our right side and then the ball over the top that Barnes should have done better with).

I think NP was a father figure to a number of the young players and as such seen as a guiding light at times. They need to move on now and start to demonstrate the same level of application in Manning's team.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I think the boos yesterday, were more around the manner in which we lost in the 95 mins. The game itself was playing out as two mid table teams playing out the game. Norwich knew they had stolen it due to some piss poor defending by Vyner at the end.

I can see what Manning is working to achieve, he's just being let down unfortunately by a few players, who either are low on confidence or making errors due to lack of application and concentration. The like of which we didn't really see for the last 12 months under NP.

I was angry after the game and then on the Forever Bristol City podcast. Not by the way the team played, but by the manner we once again for the second home game running gave up those 2 goals.

I feel for Manning though, the resentment felt by many for the manner of NP's departure and subsequent comments by the SLT is being transposed onto him. The patient build up is so removed from our previous way of playing, that it is going to take time to adjust. Not helped by playing right footers on the left, causing an imbalance. Certainly without the introduction of a number of players in Jan (unlikely of course) i can't see us being anything other than mid table this season.

Who knows what goes on in the dressing room after a game like that. But I'd like to think some strong words need to be said about our intensity in defending from the 1st minute to the 95th. When we have the ball, a number of players for me switch off. The 95 min wasn't the first time Vyner was caught out yesterday (twice on our right side and then the ball over the top that Barnes should have done better with).

I think NP was a father figure to a number of the young players and as such seen as a guiding light at times. They need to move on now and start to demonstrate the same level of application in Manning's team.

I think the boos were because we had just watched 100 minutes of utter total dross. 

They need to move on? Maybe Manning himself needs to find a way of connecting with these players and getting the best out of them, just like how Nige did. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t disagree about when they should have sacked him. I said it myself end of last season, extend him or sack him. It was never a good decision to let him manage into his last year. I don’t need to argue that. It was handled poorly. They have handled LM start poorly insisting we should be top 6. No, we should push it like everyone else and not fade. Our performances should be more consistent. We should be more of a threat from open play. Things like that. The board is the board. They haven’t handled many things elegantly in the 10 season I have been going down. That is something we need to live with. Just doesn’t seem like this forum wants to get behind the team or new man and I don’t think that is productive at all. 

Who were their suitors? I think Knight was a good get for sure. Roberts I think regretted the decision early doors. TGH seemed like a last minute no plan and he wanted to play. Outside looking in that one was fortuitous. We haven’t really recruited a young highly rated attacker in years. I’m not saying we weren’t attractive to young players. I am arguing a more attacking and pressing style will attract even more and possible better calibre. I have no narratives I have opinions and I believe in them. So yes I’ll argue them.  

19 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

So are you saying that all the “differences” aren’t positive differences then?

I’m being facetious, because I’m mainly reading it’s all positive but it’s just a case of being patient / it will take time, etc!! 😉

FWIW I talked about our “high press” in the week and that it’s been anything but a high press so far.  I don’t have a problem with blocking, but it shows the bollox rhetoric we are asked to swallow as fans - “front foot high press”.

Its just data, but our 5 worst pressing games this season from a numbers point of view are:

Leicester 27.58 passes allowed

Norwich City 25.38

Southampton 22.27

Middlesbrough 16.74

Hull City 16.13

~~~~~~

Avg. 13.58

Even under Nige we weren’t really high pressing either, but this is an area we need to be careful.  Because I think it’s taking some intensity out of the game, and leading to less transition, and transition we are pretty good at!

14 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I am arguing a more attacking and pressing style will attract even more and possible better calibre. I have no narratives I have opinions and I believe in them. So yes I’ll argue them.  

At the moment that’s just words though.  I cringe when I hear “front foot, high press, forward thinking, attacking football”, because I rarely see it.

Money will attract better calibre imho.

———-

see post above re high press.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

As I previously wrote on here , we should be in ‘ evolution ‘ not ‘revolution ‘ if our new head coach is smart he won’t rip up the game plan , which these players have been used to for nearly three seasons, in mid-season and expect our squad to come out swinging.
We are a bit weak with the number of injuries we have and the depth of our squad so it would seem suicidal to confuddle the players with new tactics and responsibilities from the off.

However , Manning is young and ambitious and wants to stamp his methods straight away at the club . We are in for a rough ride in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The players and the fans being united was our best chance of getting out of this division. That's how Sheffield Utd and Luton got out of it. Its how Coventry got to the play off final. Obviously they had some good players too but for example Sheffield Utd didnt really play too well, they just had that team spirit. 

It's all well and good having processes and all that but unity is a massive ingredient in a successful team. Mix that with some decent players and you're onto a winner. 

We didn't get to the play off final previously by playing fantastic attacking football. We got there because of that unity we had. 

We have every chance of getting out of this division. Unfortunately, not in the direction we want to go.