IGNORED

Should we be worried?

sglosbcfc

Since Nigel has been removed we have only won one game and we have started shipping goals. In the game we won, we still conceded twice. With an average of one point per game under Manning, with the bottom three now seemingly improving, how worried should we be about relegation? I'm not looking over my shoulder yet, but I have to admit I am very concerned about how the defence has crumbled since big Nige was sacked.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Not especially worried about the drop personally. NP left us in a solid place.

Injuries will ease up too, but the sad thing is it shouldn't really be a discussion- not that we are some wonder side who are too good to consider relegation but more that a low risk position with some room for growth if all fit etc was inherited.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not especially worried about the drop personally. NP left us in a solid place.

Injuries will ease up too, but the sad thing is it shouldn't really be a discussion- not that we are some wonder side who are too good to consider relegation but more that a low risk position with some room for growth if all fit etc was inherited.

Yes, I think you are right. But it is a very congested Championship and we have only taken a point a game under Manning against teams like QPR and Norwich who were both in dreadful form going into the matches. I just don't want us stuck in the bottom 6 looking nervously over our shoulder.

Just now, sglosbcfc said:

Yes, I think you are right. But it is a very congested Championship and we have only taken a point a game under Manning against teams like QPR and Norwich who were both in dreadful form going into the matches. I just don't want us stuck in the bottom 6 looking nervously over our shoulder.

I get it, we have brought about some needless jeopardy onto ourselves. QPR are picking up but who knows if that'll be sustained.

Things can go wrong quickly if a rot sets in..we need only look at 2016-17 and 2020-21.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

We just don't know how the rest of this season will go, or what LM will be like. We don't, and cannot, know. The future under Nige looked steady; the future now, no-one knows. Not even Brian Tinnion.

He’s seeing us in the Prem apparently!

• Haha 2

I think we should be worried about what a change on tactics is doing to some of the players. Max’s distribution is worse than ever (is he feeling the pressure) and he makes few saves.

Likewise Cam Pring (until the last 10 today) seems much less effective.

Andi’s dip is probably nothing to do with a new Manager but it certainly hasn’t helped him.

Conway also is either struggling to lead the line alone or struggling to make an impact in this system.

This is why I’m worried!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I think we should be worried about what a change on tactics is doing to some of the players. Max’s distribution is worse than ever (is he feeling the pressure) and he makes few saves.

Andi’s dip is probably nothing to do with a new Manager but it certainly hasn’t helped him.

Conway also is either struggling to lead the line alone or struggling to make an impact in this system.

This is why I’m worried!

Weimann was very close to Nige and had played under him before. Nige also got the best out of him with WSM combination up front. He ended the season with over 20 goals and a recall to the Austrian National team after many years out. Plus he scored for them at the Stade de France about 18 months ago.

If you want the best out of Andi Weimann play him centrally. Which comes back to too many players playing in less than favoured positions or formations today. If you want a really radical suggestion how about playing Weimann up front with Conway, who clearly needs to play off another striker, with Knight tucked in behind. Then go 3 at the back with Dickie in the centre, Vyner on the right and Pring on the left. Have a 4 man midfield of Williams, James, TGH and Sykes. That probably shoehorns in all our of fit/best players in a formation that probably suits them better. Plus it might give a bit more attacking intent especially as it stops that playing along the back 4 all the time.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

This is why I’m worried!

Or maybe they are playing badly.

8 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I don't think the change of coach is the reason for our inconsistent form, we've struggled to score goals since Nhaki got injured, once he's back things should get better 

I'm more concerned about the goals we are shipping. Under Nigel we didn't score lots but we had a mean defence, now we seem very open.

21 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

And next season, 1 point per game?

Well that would be 46. Which also sees you stay up in most seasons.

In most divisions 1 point per game just about keeps you safe in most seasons.

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Which, let’s face it is quite the turnaround from what we were told about a month ago.

Yep. 

It's also not what I'd expect at this point. I still think this squad, whether managed by Pearson, Manning, me, you, or Barney the Dinosaur, finishes somewhere around 11th.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Coach said:

My concern is not this season but the next. We will most likely end up lower end/mid table again this season thanks to NP and team. But going into next season under Manning and team is a huge concern.

No need to worry, he’s been brought in to improve things with a play off quality squad.  
If things aren’t better he’ll be gone. Surely? 

17 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Not really noticed his distribution being worse, people have complained all year. As for saves , he's faced 12 shots conceding 5 implies he saves some.

Pring hasn't hit the levels or consistency of last year yet , nothing to do with the manager or tactics.

Again, not looked the same player so far this year, had very little impact. 

And again , tactics have little to do with his lack of form. Being the lone striker doesn't suit him, didn't under Pearson and doesn't now. I think he needs a partner.

This is why I’m worried!

No need to worry , the main difference is trying to get us to hold the ball better. I said at half time some people will complain as it can be slow. As they become more accustomed to what Manning wants , they should move the ball quicker and should create more. 
4 games in , I've seen some good signs and some of the old City popping up . It will take time and we have had days like this before, and will again. Bloody frustrating , but that's the Championship. When we have more options up front available , we will see where we are. Could easily have got something at Southampton and could easily have won today, we lose the next 4 , then it's time to worry.

4 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

No need to worry, he’s been brought in to improve things with a play off quality squad.  
If things aren’t better he’ll be gone. Surely? 

Only way we exit this league is the other end, not the PL dream which isn’t a reality! Only way PL happens is if we have a complete change of strategy behind the scenes. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1