IGNORED

Should we be worried?

sglosbcfc

It’s early days and if we got the win today, there would be a completely different mindset.

It’s going to take time and criticism aimed at LM at this stage is unfair, the guys had 4 games.

That being said, it’s not unfair to be critical of the board, the dismissal of Nige was a poor decision and poor timing.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Tony Tootle said:

Worried about relegation, probably not. One thing I am worried about is Manning being able to get the most out of players as Pearson did e.g Vyner, Pring and even Conway. I’m not talking about coaching but in terms of motivation and self belief.

I agree. Sadly the cretins who make the decisions at our club don’t appreciate these sorts of things . This is why they thought Lee Johnson was a good appointment. I always felt Johnson was ok tactically but was a shit motivator and man manager , evidenced by him throwing players under the bus and never taking responsibility himself for poor performances. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if i  look back on the appointment of Manning the same way in years to come.

• Like 1

My concern has always been that a lot of hard work had gone in to shape the squad and installing the hard working run through brick walls culture. 

For the 1st time in a very long time I felt as if we didn't really have any dead wood in the squad and that we have a really talented group of players with lots of potential. 

It's very unusual to replace a manager in such circumstances. Normally it's because you're either playing badly or the manager has been poached. 

I didn't agree with replacing Pearson, however once I got my head around it I felt it was a huge decision with who they choose to replace him with because the wrong appointment risks undoing all the good things we have going for us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I think we should be worried about what a change on tactics is doing to some of the players.

I was going to post a prediction after LM’s first game that we would see an extended run of silly errors by Vyner, but felt it unnecessarily negative at the time.

I thought this because he was error prone prior to NP, but NP told him exactly what he had to do to rectify this… and fair play to Vyner, he did.

Now he’s being asked to do some very different things and I feel that he’ll take some time to get into his new role and responsibilities. I believe he’ll get there if he’s afforded the time. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

We won’t go down this year, we’re in every game we play. It’s always close and enough will swing in our favour.

I do fear that it’ll be another season with bugger all to play for after February. 

It is a becoming a bit of a mind numbing existence. Ashton Gate is so stale. I do wonder whether it will begin to impact crowds or ST retention. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Coach said:

That’s been my response for some time. But we all know he’s going nowhere unless things are real bad.

If we’re doing worse than when he took over and we’re playing a series of dead rubbers the atmosphere will be poisonous towards JL and SL. They’ll hate that and do the honourable thing…. sack their latest golden boy.  

I feel for Manning a little…. Only a little. It’s a stupid decision to jump from high-flying Oxford (so soon into his time there) on the bluff and bluster of JL to join a club that’s been trapped in the second or third level off English football for 40 years.  

• Like 2

Yes I'm worried, we're following Birmingam down the table for similar reasons (play stupid games win stupid prizes) and the bottom 3 corpses are now showing some signs of life. If we lose at Huddersfield then we'd be just two points ahead of them and could be behind Plymouth. Both teams that will be nearer the bottom than the top. Stoke are also in trouble.

Next 3 games are pivotal, once you get sucked into the bottom 6 it's difficult to get away.

Interesting footnote - since we and Birmingham sacked managers we've had 3 wins between us and 2 of them were home to Sheff Wed!

3 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Weimann was very close to Nige and had played under him before. Nige also got the best out of him with WSM combination up front. He ended the season with over 20 goals and a recall to the Austrian National team after many years out. Plus he scored for them at the Stade de France about 18 months ago.

If you want the best out of Andi Weimann play him centrally. Which comes back to too many players playing in less than favoured positions or formations today. If you want a really radical suggestion how about playing Weimann up front with Conway, who clearly needs to play off another striker, with Knight tucked in behind. Then go 3 at the back with Dickie in the centre, Vyner on the right and Pring on the left. Have a 4 man midfield of Williams, James, TGH and Sykes. That probably shoehorns in all our of fit/best players in a formation that probably suits them better. Plus it might give a bit more attacking intent especially as it stops that playing along the back 4 all the time.

He was hiding today to avoid getting the ball played to him but hes very good at pointing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

We will finish somewhere between 10th and 15th in my opinion, and be as uninspiring as usual. Should anyone shine they will flog them off in the summer.

I’m looking forward to WHU away, and hopefully a cup run, . 

Keep up with the medication GF :thumbsup:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Max’s distribution is worse than ever (is he feeling the pressure) and he makes few saves.

Not really noticed his distribution being worse, people have complained all year. As for saves , he's faced 12 shots conceding 5 implies he saves some.

I can only comment on the home games under LM but against Boro 4 on target and we conceded 2 and against Norwich 3 on target and we concede 2.

These are not great stats and (again based on home form) he was supposedly brought in because he was better (than DB) with his feet to start an attack and yet he seems to punt the ball out of play now more than ever - all the people sat around me notice this and groan?

10 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Since Nigel has been removed we have only won one game and we have started shipping goals. In the game we won, we still conceded twice. With an average of one point per game under Manning, with the bottom three now seemingly improving, how worried should we be about relegation? I'm not looking over my shoulder yet, but I have to admit I am very concerned about how the defence has crumbled since big Nige was sacked.

For every team that goes from the bottom six to the top six during the course of a season, there's one that goes the other way!

So we should not be complacent. It happened to us in 1979-80.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I can only comment on the home games under LM but against Boro 4 on target and we conceded 2 and against Norwich 3 on target and we concede 2.

These are not great stats and (again based on home form) he was supposedly brought in because he was better (than DB) with his feet to start an attack and yet he seems to punt the ball out of play now more than ever - all the people sat around me notice this and groan?

4 games , one clean sheet and one conceded at Southampton . Then 2 goals Vs Boro , one an amazing OG the other poor defending. At a push you could blame trying to play out, but that would have been the same under previous regime's , the pass was on to Tanner but he tries to go inside and is robbed. 
Yesterday an unlucky OG and the second has nothing to do with anything apart from poor defending from Vyner, who TBF was decent most of the game until that moment.

The stats are Boro 4 on target 1 conceded ( OG original shot off target ) , Norwich 3 on 1 conceded ( deflected cross OG).

While OLeary does stick some clearances out of play, and it is frustrating , he has been clearly under instruction for some of them. I think that may change as Manning gets his ideas over. Better movement , players more aware of needing to find space and offering more options. He tends to go to that wide long pass when nothing else is on, it's going back to when LJ pushed Flint wide and Fielding would punt to him for the flick on. Pring and the nearest MF can compete for it hoping to knock on for TC or whoever. I don't particularly like it as if you aim for the touchline it's easy to get it wrong . 

There are already signs that he has had an impact, though not everyone is happy keeping the ball and probing . All changes will take time, I've no doubt Manning will take time with Max as if he's giving the ball away it goes against his philosophy . 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

4 games , one clean sheet and one conceded at Southampton . Then 2 goals Vs Boro , one an amazing OG the other poor defending. At a push you could blame trying to play out, but that would have been the same under previous regime's , the pass was on to Tanner but he tries to go inside and is robbed. 
Yesterday an unlucky OG and the second has nothing to do with anything apart from poor defending from Vyner, who TBF was decent most of the game until that moment.

The stats are Boro 4 on target 1 conceded ( OG original shot off target ) , Norwich 3 on 1 conceded ( deflected cross OG).

While OLeary does stick some clearances out of play, and it is frustrating , he has been clearly under instruction for some of them. I think that may change as Manning gets his ideas over. Better movement , players more aware of needing to find space and offering more options. He tends to go to that wide long pass when nothing else is on, it's going back to when LJ pushed Flint wide and Fielding would punt to him for the flick on. Pring and the nearest MF can compete for it hoping to knock on for TC or whoever. I don't particularly like it as if you aim for the touchline it's easy to get it wrong . 

There are already signs that he has had an impact, though not everyone is happy keeping the ball and probing . All changes will take time, I've no doubt Manning will take time with Max as if he's giving the ball away it goes against his philosophy . 

Very happy to see ‘probing’.  And most people are.   It’s the lack of probing that’s bugging me so far………

You should be worried.

It’s not only Manning that lacks in experience (didn’t play much at any level), his coaching team lack it too.

The comparison of the current setup compared to the likes of solid ex-pro’s like Jason Euell and Curtis Woodhouse who have seen and done it at this level is stark! 

I take it you at least still have Andy King there?!?

34 minutes ago, BristolFox said:

You should be worried.

It’s not only Manning that lacks in experience (didn’t play much at any level), his coaching team lack it too.

The comparison of the current setup compared to the likes of solid ex-pro’s like Jason Euell and Curtis Fleming who have seen and done it at this level is stark! 

As someone very learned said to me earlier…there is nobody left with any top-level experience above the playing squad!

Jamo, Kingy, Andi and Nahki is your lot!  LM needs to lean on them massively over the coming weeks.

1 hour ago, BristolFox said:

You should be worried.

The comparison of the current setup compared to the likes of solid ex-pro’s like Jason Euell and Curtis Woodhouse who have seen and done it at this level is stark! 

You mean Curtis Fleming. I believe Curtis Woodhouse gave up pro football to be a pro boxer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm worried that come Saturday, we could be at least 9 points off the play offs and potentially just a few points off the relegation zone. 

Chances of having a good season are pretty much over already. 

I didn't expect anything other than another mid table season personally with the squad we have, and the tightened purse strings from Lansdown.

I would absolutely settle for 12th -16th right now, as I only personally see Rotherham as nailed on for relegation.

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm worried that come Saturday, we could be at least 9 points off the play offs and potentially just a few points off the relegation zone. 

Chances of having a good season are pretty much over already. 

Let’s not worry about being nine points off the Play Offs - that’s a distant dream.

Right now, I will take being in the same division this time, next season……

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

As someone very learned said to me earlier…there is nobody left with any top-level experience above the playing squad!

Jamo, Kingy, Andi and Nahki is your lot!  LM needs to lean on them massively over the coming weeks.

And Naismith. Point still stands though. We do have managerial experience in Sid, mind, who we were informed likes to tell the manager how it is in team selection but on the basis he promised one thing and delivered the opposite I think Liam would do well to avoid him like the plague.

On 03/12/2023 at 22:24, BCFCGav said:

We won’t go down this year, we’re in every game we play. It’s always close and enough will swing in our favour.

I do fear that it’ll be another season with bugger all to play for after February. 

Sums it up pretty well. 

I dont think anyone would have minded that 2 months ago...but now the fanbase feel pretty alienated that for some (a minority I might suggest ) even a top 10 finish would be viewed as unacceptable. This is the boards fault and they've put themselves in the firing line by sacking NP. 

I am willing to give Manning plenty of time but am sadly already looking towards next season.

Fail to win either of the next 2 and I will be looking down the league , not up it. 

• Like 1