IGNORED

West 'Am - Sunday 7th Jan. 2pm

cheese

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Yep. I think the Sunday youth leagues are gonna mean quite a few people with chips covered in urine. 
And even if the games get weathered off, it’ll be too late for them to get a ticket or make arrangements. 
Shame really. I’d have expected a sell out on a Saturday but Sunday means I’d knock a fair few off of that. 

Or all the kids that play on Saturdays & can't do away games can now go...

I've never even heard of kids football on Sundays- thought that was just pub league stuff. 

Every kids team I know of play on Saturday mornings & this now means I can take my son without missing his game, so all good for me. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I've never even heard of kids football on Sundays- thought that was just pub league stuff. 

Every kids team I know of play on Saturday mornings & this now means I can take my son without missing his game, so all good for me. 

There is a huge contingency of kids playing Sunday league football - Hanham minor for up to 11 year olds and then the Avon youth league 12-18 .  To give you an indication at u12’s level alone there are approx 75 teams all playing every Sunday 9 a side - there’ll be a few thousand kids really, all registered and playing Sunday league footy I imagine when you pull together all the teams from u7’s through to u16’s .. 
My lad plays Sunday PM so we were hoping for a Saturday,  however now we want a  tactical postponement of his game on the Sunday ! 

Edited by Brann-red
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Brann-red said:

There is a huge contingency of kids playing Sunday league football - Hanham minor for up to 11 year olds and then the Avon youth league 12-18 .  To give you an indication at u12’s level alone there are approx 75 teams all playing every Sunday 9 a side - there’ll be a few (2-3?)  thousand kids really all playing Sunday league footy I imagine when you pull together all the teams from u7’s through to u16’s .. 
My lad plays Sunday PM so we were hoping for a Saturday or now a  tactical postponement on the Sunday ! 

I'm sure there are - I've just never heard of it.

My kids football was always Saturday. My sons (Under 10) is Saturday morning & everyone I know who's kids play, all play Saturdays. 

Sunday has always been more of a Rugby day, where I live. 

18 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Absolutely loads of kids football on Sundays. Grassroots leagues in our area tend to rotate annually between Sundays and Saturdays as they progress through the age groups, then at U13 it switches to Sunday afternoons rather than mornings.

But you’re right that this does make this game feasible for those ordinarily tied up on a Saturday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Yep good point. Fortunately a drive from here in Chippenham to the edge of London is easy enough. The new Elizabeth line has made traversing from the West of the city over to Stratford a lot easier - I did it earlier this year for ABBA (next door to London Stadium)

I’d keep the ABBA thing to yourself if I was you 🙈😂😂

4 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

With 9,000 tickets for City supporters, I'm sure lots of the Sunday League matches will be rearranged. You're giving the opposition plenty of notice so it shouldn't be an issue.

If only it was that easy. If your team have a free Sunday, the Avon youth league is now actively moving fixtures forward, without even discussing it with the coaches of either team ! The team we were due to play is involved in the cup and the only team they could force us to play, we would have already played twice. So we've got lucky that weekend.

52 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

If only it was that easy. If your team have a free Sunday, the Avon youth league is now actively moving fixtures forward, without even discussing it with the coaches of either team ! The team we were due to play is involved in the cup and the only team they could force us to play, we would have already played twice. So we've got lucky that weekend.

That is some extreme good fortune. 

But there will be plenty of people where they don't have the fortune that you do so I'm expecting you to make numerous posts complaining that the game has been moved to the Sunday. 

But I guess because it's been moved for football and not rugby, you won't have an issue with it being moved at all. 

24 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

That is some extreme good fortune. 

But there will be plenty of people where they don't have the fortune that you do so I'm expecting you to make numerous posts complaining that the game has been moved to the Sunday. 

But I guess because it's been moved for football and not rugby, you won't have an issue with it being moved at all. 

The game hasn't been moved.

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

You have never heard of kids football on a Sunday,Jesus Christ when I played as a kid I played Saturday and Sunday and that’s a long time ago and still exists,honest question have you ever played football 

2 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Genuine question as I’m curious, what happens if one or both teams don’t turn up? Presumably if one don’t they forfeit but what about both?

5 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

You have never heard of kids football on a Sunday,Jesus Christ when I played as a kid I played Saturday and Sunday and that’s a long time ago and still exists,honest question have you ever played football 

I sometimes referee in the Woodspring Junior League, that's always Sunday 2pm ko Under 15's and 16's has been for years...

• Robin 1

5 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Yeah, only to fun/pub league stuff.

On Saturday mornings as a kid & then only ever wanted to play on Sundays from my mid teens onwards, because Saturdays were all about watching City.

Since I've had my son & he's been of playing age, we have lived in North Somerset & it seems to be Saturday = football, Sunday = Rugby for his  age groups around here.

0930 or 1030 kick off times mean we can always make City home games but no chance of away games - so this one being on a Sunday is good for me & anyone else with that schedule - was my point.

I'm not questioning if there is kids Sunday football - there just doesn't seem to be around my way.

35 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yeah, only to fun/pub league stuff.

On Saturday mornings as a kid & then only ever wanted to play on Sundays from my mid teens onwards, because Saturdays were all about watching City.

Since I've had my son & he's been of playing age, we have lived in North Somerset & it seems to be Saturday = football, Sunday = Rugby for his  age groups around here.

0930 or 1030 kick off times mean we can always make City home games but no chance of away games - so this one being on a Sunday is good for me & anyone else with that schedule - was my point.

I'm not questioning if there is kids Sunday football - there just doesn't seem to be around my way.

Been involved in junior football for years in North Somerset and when they get to U14s games are played on Sundays, so kids that play both football and rugby have to make a choice 

3 minutes ago, Gunner Jones said:

Been involved in junior football for years in North Somerset and when they get to U14s games are played on Sundays, so kids that play both football and rugby have to make a choice 

That would explain it then my son is 9 so not got to that yet. 

17 minutes ago, Gunner Jones said:

Absolutely morning's and afternoons depending on age groups!

Historically Bristol children's football (hanham minor league) was always on a Sunday, Saturdays followed on much later 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Historically Bristol children's football (hanham minor league) was always on a Sunday, Saturdays followed on much later 

When mine were playing it was always Hanham minor on the Sunday morning then onto the Avon youth league on the Sunday afternoon spent about 15 years doing one or the other or both !!!

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

53 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

When mine were playing it was always Hanham minor on the Sunday morning then onto the Avon youth league on the Sunday afternoon spent about 15 years doing one or the other or both !!!

Yep, Bristol Junior League for me on Saturday afternoons in early 80s, HML on Sundays for younger kids, AYL on Sundays for older kids.  I never played Sundays though.

Just now, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Yep, Bristol Junior League for me on Saturday afternoons in early 80s, HML on Sundays for younger kids, AYL on Sundays for older kids.  I never played Sundays though.

Was always Sundays for me, fair furlong and Whitchurch Sports both HML, all my boys were in the North Somerset leagues so predominantly Sundays again!

7 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Was always Sundays for me, fair furlong and Whitchurch Sports both HML, all my boys were in the North Somerset leagues so predominantly Sundays again!

Fair Furlong were a Saturday team in my day.  A lot of them played for FF on Saturday and West Town Harriers (City feeder) on Sundays.  They used to hammer little old Broadwalk Wanderers!!!  By u15s things evened out a bit and we drew 0-0 once.  Steve Yates was playing for FF and Jimmy Wring (who played for years at Cheltenham - flip me he was quick).

Happy memories, even getting stuffed 5-0, 8-0 a lot of games.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fair Furlong were a Saturday team in my day.  A lot of them played for FF on Saturday and West Town Harriers (City feeder) on Sundays.  They used to hammer little old Broadwalk Wanderers!!!  By u15s things evened out a bit and we drew 0-0 once.  Steve Yates was playing for FF and Jimmy Wring (who played for years at Cheltenham - flip me he was quick).

Happy memories, even getting stuffed 5-0, 8-0 a lot of games.

:laugh:, happy days indeed, I started FF in 1976, I don't think they were even in a league then, the HML followed a few years later. Our managers were the character Bob Clifford and Harry Peacock, his son Darren went on to play for Newcastle amongst others!

Just to confirm what people have said, there are 29 divisions across age groups in the AYL. Average of 10-12 teams per division. The U12 is 9 a side then its 11 a side upwards. With 7 divisions of 9 a side and squad for each game (typically) 12 players then U12 alone it’s 840 kids each week! If you assume 14 players per squad after that then the higher age groups is over 3000 kids.

HML is 5, 7 and 9 a side at various levels. 29 groups. The 5 and 7s are double fixtures so squads there are often c18-20 players, although less teams. Conservatively I’d guess around another 4000 kids per week.

Its a lot of people and helps explain the empty seats vs Norwich - I had to move my fixture to the am and make a dash for that one.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

The two biggest youth leagues in Bristol and surrounding areas are Sunday..

HML for U7 - U11 

AYL for U12 - U16

Teams from Bristol, Somerset & Glos at most age groups, 7 - 8 leagues at each each group.

I'm at coach at Imperial and have been for a few years... But me and my lads are booked on the train to West Ham for this weekend 🔴⚪🔴⚪

Edited by RobImps
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, frenchred said:

:laugh:, happy days indeed, I started FF in 1976, I don't think they were even in a league then, the HML followed a few years later. Our managers were the character Bob Clifford and Harry Peacock, his son Darren went on to play for Newcastle amongst others!

Nice one.

Darren was in my Bruv’s year at school (2 years above me).

I remember playing against Dean Clifford (assume he was Bob’s son?).  My first game for Broadwalk was against FF at Hengrove Lane / Harvey’s ground.  We lost 15-1 having scored first.  I was RB, their LW (Hallett) was far too quick for me - I was playing a year up.