IGNORED

West 'Am - Sunday 7th Jan. 2pm

cheese

12 minutes ago, eardun said:

I think (hope) we’re lucky the match isn’t tomorrow- hopefully lines ok and trains in the right place by Sunday 

Yeah, no more rain forecast so should dry up and if there’s no damage to lines should be fine.

It’s the lack of information that annoys me, how bad are things? Is the water reducing at a quick enough rate? Is there any damage to the lines?

I don’t want to hear 30 minutes before it’s due that my train is cancelled. The other problem is every weekend here there’s a train to London cancelled due to lack of staff. The whole system is shambolic atm. 

8 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Yeah, no more rain forecast so should dry up and if there’s no damage to lines should be fine.

It’s the lack of information that annoys me, how bad are things? Is the water reducing at a quick enough rate? Is there any damage to the lines?

I don’t want to hear 30 minutes before it’s due that my train is cancelled. The other problem is every weekend here there’s a train to London cancelled due to lack of staff. The whole system is shambolic atm. 

Yep. Our train system is just not resilient enough and I fear it’s only going to get worse given the way the weather (rain intensity) and the sea/gale levels (in the case of places like Dawlish) are going. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Thanks, that’s reassuring.

Interestingly it appears the rail seating at West Ham is just an adaptation of the existing seating, rather than a bespoke rail seat that can be locked in position.

Not sure I’d want my son standing on them though, that wouldn’t be very stable, particularly if you suddenly react to something on the pitch.

C898D326-A86D-45C0-B9BC-82F5317D275F.jpeg

Given that you were considering bringing a step for your teenage child, I was hoping to reassure you that your view wouldn't be spoiled rather than making a serious suggestion.

1 hour ago, sticks 1969 said:

Have a good day mate 

You too mate, long time no see!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Thanks, that’s reassuring.

Interestingly it appears the rail seating at West Ham is just an adaptation of the existing seating, rather than a bespoke rail seat that can be locked in position.

Not sure I’d want my son standing on them though, that wouldn’t be very stable, particularly if you suddenly react to something on the pitch.

C898D326-A86D-45C0-B9BC-82F5317D275F.jpeg

I don't think that's a safe standing area. It looks like it's a safety rail. See here for info

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2020/december/04-december/supporter-update-safety-rail-installation

5 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I don't think that's a safe standing area. It looks like it's a safety rail. See here for info

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2020/december/04-december/supporter-update-safety-rail-installation

You’re right. Not quite sure what the practical difference is though? Either way, I think that’s what we’ll be getting in the away end - article refers to the Sir Trevor Brooking stand, which is where we’ll be.

19 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You’re right. Not quite sure what the practical difference is though? Either way, I think that’s what we’ll be getting in the away end - article refers to the Sir Trevor Brooking stand, which is where we’ll be.

The difference is that it can't convert to a safe standing area 😀.

What I think it's there for is to prevent you falling out your seat onto the row below, and installed because of the high rake. I had issues with the steepness of the rake high in the millennium stadium and the upper lansdown. That rail would probably make me feel safer if nothing else.

11 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Line between Westbury and Reading is still closed today, with the line between Swindon and Reading due to be closed for engineering work tomorrow some decisions might need to be taken later on today

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

The difference is that it can't convert to a safe standing area 😀.

What I think it's there for is to prevent you falling out your seat onto the row below, and installed because of the high rake. I had issues with the steepness of the rake high in the millennium stadium and the upper lansdown. That rail would probably make me feel safer if nothing else.

Genuine question - are you suggesting the intention is for people to still be sitting in this area? Because surely that bar is going to obscure you view if you’re seated and looking down towards the pitch?

My interpretation is simply that this is their version of “safe standing”, and what we should expect to find in the away end on Sunday.

If it is as you say, I also don’t understand why West Ham would have this rail when other stadiums with an equally high rake don’t.

Edit - this article appears to support my theory. The headline refers to “safe standing” and then talks about the addition of a rail.

https://www.thestadiumbusiness.com/2021/11/16/london-stadium-safe-standing-system-fitted/

280CEA3A-CB98-4D65-892B-ADB29062EADF.jpeg

Edited by ChippenhamRed

34 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

Line between Westbury and Reading is still closed today, with the line between Swindon and Reading due to be closed for engineering work tomorrow some decisions might need to be taken later on today

Yeah, I’m already working on plan C and D 

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Genuine question - are you suggesting the intention is for people to still be sitting in this area? Because surely that bar is going to obscure you view if you’re seated and looking down towards the pitch?

My interpretation is simply that this is their version of “safe standing”, and what we should expect to find in the away end on Sunday.

If it is as you say, I also don’t understand why West Ham would have this rail when other stadiums with an equally high rake don’t.

Edit - this article appears to support my theory. The headline refers to “safe standing” and then talks about the addition of a rail.

https://www.thestadiumbusiness.com/2021/11/16/london-stadium-safe-standing-system-fitted/

280CEA3A-CB98-4D65-892B-ADB29062EADF.jpeg

I booked that area to specifically stand, as I do at Ashton Gate. I see it as exactly the same 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Yeah, I’m already working on plan C and D 

Plan B for me already due to issues between Westbury and Reading which sound like they won’t be resolved until later tomorrow.

Tivi to BTM and then to Paddington - GWR expecting issues today but hoping things are back to normal for tomorrow 🤞🤞

Just hope my change of plan doesn’t backfire on me!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Plan B for me already due to issues between Westbury and Reading which sound like they won’t be resolved until later tomorrow.

Tivi to BTM and then to Paddington - GWR expecting issues today but hoping things are back to normal for tomorrow 🤞🤞

Just hope my change of plan doesn’t backfire on me!

The point being that as things stand there’s no route open tomorrow between Bristol and London unless either the flooding subsides or the engineering work is cancelled 

3 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

The point being that as things stand there’s no route open tomorrow between Bristol and London unless either the flooding subsides or the engineering work is cancelled 

Not sure where the flooding is but trainline shows that trains from Bristol to Paddington this morning are getting there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eardun said:

Not sure where the flooding is but trainline shows that trains from Bristol to Paddington this morning are getting there.

Flooding is on the diversion route due to be used tomorrow 

Also I’d never trust what trainline says, they try to sell tickets for trains that don’t exist.