IGNORED

I'll go against the tide

cheese

6 hours ago, italian dave said:

I agree with you, and there have been any number of similar comments over the past few weeks, which I take to mean that there are lots of us who think so too.

So why didn’t they do something like this? The Lansdowns, their senior staff, their advisers, must realise that too. They aren’t (in all seriousness) stupid.

My guess (that’s all it is) would be that they worried that bringing NPs health into it would leave the club open to risks in relation to either privacy or employment legislation.

In a football world, football reasons is always going to be the easy option for a risk averse organisation. And they’ll no doubt have had legal advice along the way, and corporate lawyers in these scenarios will generally be pretty risk averse. 

@exAtyeoMax @Sheltons Army - just intrigued why the confused/hmmm emojis. Do you not think this a possible scenario? Do you think they really meant what was said publicly about the reasons for his departure? 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

IMG_0748.gif?format=1000wObviously aimed at the hierarchy not yourself but they made their bed.

Perhaps our expectations should rise a bit if money is spent in January.

If they spend a load of money in January after NP had comparatively little despite selling AS, I think we can all justifiably be pretty angry.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

IMG_0748.gif?format=1000wObviously aimed at the hierarchy not yourself but they made their bed.

Perhaps our expectations should rise a bit if money is spent in January.

If they spend a load of money in January after NP had comparatively little despite selling AS, I think we can all justifiably be pretty angry.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, italian dave said:

@exAtyeoMax @Sheltons Army - just intrigued why the confused/hmmm emojis. Do you not think this a possible scenario? Do you think they really meant what was said publicly about the reasons for his departure? 

Of course not, it was utter rubbish. I can't believe that anyone thought otherwise. 

I can't remember why exactly, probably as to why they would have to mention his health at all. Just say it had reached the end of the road or something 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Just to say, some great debate and insight in this thread.

Thanks all.

@Harry do you have any confidence that JL-BT-GM-SL will back LM sufficiently when he tells them he's gonna need to recruit quite a few players (I've no idea how many - 5 or 6?)  to get us playing his brand of football effectively?

Especially when their rhetoric was essentially 'that we had the players here, just not the right manager' a few weeks back.

No slight on LM that he is finding out the shortcomings of his new team on the fly, but you'd have hoped BT would have understood this when we were considering LMs appointment.

Don’t know to be honest mate. 
They’re being coy about it aren’t they. JL said (as they’ve said before) “it’s a bad time of year but if we can bring something forward we will”. 

I think that something will definitely be GardnerHickman. We’ll make that permanent in Jan rather than July (which is about another £700k or something). 

Whether we do anything though I don’t know. 
Manning is definitely going to want another attacking option (I think this would be a number 10 rather than out and out striker). He’s going to want that creativity in that position. Whether the recruitment team agree on the type of player is another matter though! 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Manning is definitely going to want another attacking option (I think this would be a number 10 rather than out and out striker). He’s going to want that creativity in that position. Whether the recruitment team agree on the type of player is another matter though! 

If he does he can start to transition to playing JK and TGH together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luke_bristol said:

I'll be well pleased.

It means the squad gets some depth.

The guff about Maxed out salary budget and no money from the AS sale applied to NP, we all know that now.

13 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I'll be well pleased.

It means the squad gets some depth.

The guff about Maxed out salary budget and no money from the AS sale applied to NP, we all know that now.

It'll reinforce a view perhaps that the hierarchy are liars and that won't go down well.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It'll reinforce a view perhaps that the hierarchy are liars and that won't go down well.

Not unusual though. They did the transition very poorly, but not a new thing favouring a new Manager. 
I'd say a high percentage of sacked Managers were gone way before they were actually sacked , then it makes sense to keep some budget for the new man.  
Whether it was fair, right or what we wanted is gone now. I get people are angry at the people in charge , but for me that's done and I'm focused on where we are going. 
If there was actually money or not , whether they intended to originally spend money in Jan or not , we surely must want Manning to be given funds in January . TBH if it makes them seem like liars I'm not really worried, how many times and how many teams have given the dreaded vote of confidence only to sack the Manager within days ?
We have proven this team can compete with the top sides in this division, if we could add even just 2 good additions to improve and deepen the squad and I think we could get top 10 or higher. 

I didn't like or agree with Pearson's sacking, but Managers come and go . The one thing that would have made things better , some honesty . If they said the plan was Manning all along , and circumstances made them feel it was right to pull the trigger when they did, I still wouldn't have liked it, but it would have been easier to accept .

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

4 hours ago, italian dave said:

No I don’t Dave , not for a minute

But sorry , I also don’t believe your guess about avoiding mentioning any medical issues for fear of legal mitigation

Came across as trying to think of some sort of defence for their actions

4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

But sorry , I also don’t believe your guess about avoiding mentioning any medical issues for fear of legal mitigation

I agree….just give him time off if you really care about his health.  Then you don’t have to worry about legal implications.

Edited by Davefevs

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I agree….just give him time off if you really care about his health.  Then you don’t have to worry about legal implications.

Somebody with better employment law will know but I’d summise it’s also relevant he as wasn’t a salaried employee but on a contract , and assuming we continue to pay or pay up the contract , the potential issue of wrongful dismissal would not be a legal issue 

10 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Thanks SA. Just to be clear, my post wasn’t intended to defend anything. I’m just trying to understand (guess) why they said what they did. Why they messaged it the way they did.

Almost everyone thinks there was more to it. And I’ve seen more and more posters suggesting perfectly reasonable statements that would have seemed much more honest.

It just seems so self evident that would have been a better approach that there must have been a reason not to go that way. And I’m just struggling to understand what that is.

Are we really happy that Manning is given transfer funds if we are on a losing streak and BT chooses the new players?    

Better to keep it for the summer when I dream of new owners bringing Nige back!

I can dream can’t I?  Because daydreaming is all many of us fans feel we have left.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Again, this is just my pure speculation but…….

Club is concerned about the health issues, and wants to give him time off and/or to leave any decision on renewing his contract until the outcomes of tests are know.

NP doesn’t want to do that/wants an earlier decision so goes “public”, with that statement about being frustrated about not knowing his future. Club sees that as a major breach of trust, breakdown of relationship with board - of the type @ExiledAjax described earlier when explaining contract terms.

Or maybe I’m talking compete nonsense and they just thought we should be top 6 😂😂

15 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Again, this is just my pure speculation but…….

Club is concerned about the health issues, and wants to give him time off and/or to leave any decision on renewing his contract until the outcomes of tests are know.

NP doesn’t want to do that/wants an earlier decision so goes “public”, with that statement about being frustrated about not knowing his future. Club sees that as a major breach of trust, breakdown of relationship with board - of the type @ExiledAjax described earlier when explaining contract terms.

Or maybe I’m talking compete nonsense and they just thought we should be top 6 😂😂

It’s certainly a possibility.

Personally, I think they reneged on the Alex Scott money, and that pissed him off.  They then they created a fabricated back story, that PA was uncomfortable delivering.  PA lost his job.  Nige played along for a bit with the “the budget was maxed out” until he found them plotting to remove him / sounding out other managers.  Then he started calling out the situation in the media.  Was only gonna end one way.  But he had support from the fans, results were okay, so he tried his luck, tried to see if he could keep his job on results and make sacking him impossible.

His gamble didn’t work.

• Like 2