IGNORED

Attempt to lift the gloom

Clutton Caveman

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

Everyone knows that January is not the best time to do  business but as BT said the club have summer targets that they might be able bring forward - we’ll just have to wait and see.

Its very likely that Manning will want to bring one or two players from Oxford - that begs an obvious question, could they make the step up in standard?

Who ?

Okay a couple of names, of varying likelihood but all 3 have their contracts up in summer 2024.

Derby

Cashin and Bird

QPR

Willock

Do we make a play for any of them. As it stands all 3 add out of contract- the first 2 perhaps could reunite with Knight, the latter with Dickie.

Granted Cashin is also linked wirh a few PL clubs but also Middlesbrough. Bird had that injury back in August.

I would add Chair but he feels like he would be out of reach.

Too expensive, higher level of interest and his contract is up in 2025, with a further year in favour of the club- could easily be 2026.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

19 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Weimann more of a case but he is over 30, has had injuries. Naismith ditto- albeit I'd be keen on him starting if he were fit- his lack of fitness will be a disincentive to clubs who maybe looking at him.

These two players are the sort who could interest clubs in less intense leagues like in Saudi Arabia, USA, Greece etc . 
They have quality but not necessarily the level of fitness needed for the Championship. 

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Okay a couple of names, of varying likelihood but all 3 have their contracts up in summer 2024.

Derby

Cashin and Bird

QPR

Willock

Do we make a play for any of them. As it stands all 3 add out of contract- the first 2 perhaps could reunite with Knight, the latter with Dickie.

Granted Cashin is also linked wirh a few PL clubs but also Middlesbrough. Bird had that injury back in August.

I would add Chair but he feels like he would be out of reach.

Too expensive, higher level of interest and his contract is up in 2025, with a further year in favour of the club- could easily be 2026.

probably a high-chair !!!

17 hours ago, Harry said:

The time for Twine was 3 years ago when he was leaving Swindon on a free. 
Too late now. 

For what it’s worth, I think January will see us “bring forward” the Gardner-Hickman deal. That will be made permanent with the additional fee of £700k. 

I think the only other incoming will be an attacking midfielder. But it may not happen as we certainly won’t overpay.

I don’t think anything else in midfield happens until the summer when James & Williams are out of contract. And King. 
Basically means there’s 3 squad places in midfield to be filled in the summer, with Knight & TGH staying. 

However, if it were me, I’d have a new Gk, Rb, Rcb, Dm, Am. That ain’t happening though! 

Remember LM has a different feeling on loans compared to NP

12 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Who ?

The Oxford players who I’d assume we’d be interested in would be Cameron Brannigan or Marcus McGuane. 
Both I understand are on lengthy contracts (at least that’s according to the Oxford press chap I spoke to at FGR last night). 
I like Ruben Rodrigues (how he plays is exactly what we are missing, ie attacking midfielder who oozes confidence, finds the spaces between midfield and defence and can receive the ball between those lines and create). I’m not sure he’s at Champ level, but that’s the ‘type’ we’re missing. 

He didn’t play last night but Oxford have a keeper on loan from Brighton who is highly rated. Perhaps we loan him next year?? 
I also quite like the look of Stephen Negru, a young centre back. The next centre back cab off of the Oxford rank maybe (after Dickie, Atkinson, McNally)……. 

Just now, Harry said:

The Oxford players who I’d assume we’d be interested in would be Cameron Brannigan or Marcus McGuane. 
Both I understand are on lengthy contracts (at least that’s according to the Oxford press chap I spoke to at FGR last night). 
I like Ruben Rodrigues (how he plays is exactly what we are missing, ie attacking midfielder who oozes confidence, finds the spaces between midfield and defence and can receive the ball between those lines and create). I’m not sure he’s at Champ level, but that’s the ‘type’ we’re missing. 

He didn’t play last night but Oxford have a keeper on loan from Brighton who is highly rated. Perhaps we loan him next year?? 
I also quite like the look of Stephen Negru, a young centre back. The next centre back cab off of the Oxford rank maybe (after Dickie, Atkinson, McNally)……. 

As I understand it McGuane is out of contract end of season but Oxford hold a years option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

As I understand it McGuane is out of contract end of season but Oxford hold a years option.

Yeah I wasn’t sure. The press chap from Oxford I spoke to last night seemed to suggest both were on long contracts. But I wasn’t so sure. I think he was just putting me off 🤣🤣

I did a bit of a lookback and found these quote pertaining to January etc.

"The 38-year-old did note during his press conference on Tuesday that he’ll instinctively and immediately look to the academy to resolve any gaps in playing resources, like his predecessor, and the next step after that is the transfer market but over time there will surely be a desire to recruit externally."

Alignment?

"Manning therefore looks likely to have to work within the same sort of framework for the forthcoming window, with Lansdown cautious over what and how much can be achieved in alignment with overall club strategy in January.

'We’ll approach it the same way we always do,' Lansdown said. 'It’s commonly known that January’s not the best time to try and do business but if the opportunity comes up, of course we’ll look at it. You normally plan for your summers and if you can bring something forward that fits that then that’s great. The bits where you normally struggle or have difficulties is if you’re trying to force something, and you’re going away from what you would do otherwise.'"

Alignment!?

To sum that up:

*Academy before purchase

*January not a great time to recruit .

*If spending good for here and now or the chance to bring forward arises and he it's possible- let's do it!

On the other hand IMO, useful loans or contacts to tap..CFG. Modern game is increasingly about contacts, could this be of use.

While I agree with the views that a lot of Academy played aren't deemed ready, not very aligned is it.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I did a bit of a lookback and found these quote pertaining to January etc.

"The 38-year-old did note during his press conference on Tuesday that he’ll instinctively and immediately look to the academy to resolve any gaps in playing resources, like his predecessor, and the next step after that is the transfer market but over time there will surely be a desire to recruit externally."

Alignment?

"Manning therefore looks likely to have to work within the same sort of framework for the forthcoming window, with Lansdown cautious over what and how much can be achieved in alignment with overall club strategy in January.

'We’ll approach it the same way we always do,' Lansdown said. 'It’s commonly known that January’s not the best time to try and do business but if the opportunity comes up, of course we’ll look at it. You normally plan for your summers and if you can bring something forward that fits that then that’s great. The bits where you normally struggle or have difficulties is if you’re trying to force something, and you’re going away from what you would do otherwise.'"

Alignment!?

To sum that up:

*Academy before purchase

*January not a great time to recruit .

*If spending good for here and now or the chance to bring forward arises and he it's possible- let's do it!

On the other hand IMO, useful loans or contacts to tap..CFG. Modern game is increasingly about contacts, could this be of use.

While I agree with the views that a lot of Academy played aren't deemed ready, not very aligned is it.

Of course he’ll look to the academy first.  However the likelihood is that (in terms of what is required) the cupboard will be bare.  So he will have to look to the transfer market.

I have no issues with that.  But it’s just another example of spin versus the reality.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Of course he’ll look to the academy first.  However the likelihood is that (in terms of what is required) the cupboard will be bare.  So he will have to look to the transfer market.

I have no issues with that.  But it’s just another example of spin versus the reality.

Wonder of he could tap CFG for some promising loanees or Idk soon to be out of contract but  useful here.

Spin, disarray at the top- we have both IMO.

Manning would have been given a brief and target to achieve, he would also have been advised as to the budget available in each window 

I’m not expecting any significant improvement until February at which point I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t go on a decent run and finish the season strongly 

The summer will see 3-4 incomings and the same leaving 

2024/25 season will be the season where I think Manning will show his value and we will finally have a front foot attacking team that will make an impact