IGNORED

Attempt to lift the gloom

Clutton Caveman

Looking forward would seem to be a good idea at the moment so lets think ahead to the January transfer window

Where should we strengthen

Who could we realistically afford

How much if anything will LM get.

Should we move anyone on

Just to kick it off, I think we need strikers. As per normal we will almost certainly be shopping in League 1 or 2 where I don't have a enough knowledge to identify potential signings, I think LM will get approx 1.5 million, I think if we got a decent offer for either Wiemann or Mehmeti we should take it. Based on his injury record Naismith should also leave.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Looking forward would seem to be a good idea at the moment so lets think ahead to the January transfer window

Should we move anyone on

Just to kick it off, I think we need strikers. As per normal we will almost certainly be shopping in League 1 or 2 where I don't have a enough knowledge to identify potential signings, I think LM will get approx 1.5 million, I think if we got a decent offer for either Wiemann or Mehmeti we should take it. Based on his injury record Naismith should also leave.

Attempt failed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

12 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Based on his injury record Naismith should also leave.

I always love comments like this because it assumes two things:

- That other clubs are falling over themselves to sign an injured player

- That either the player is prepared to take a pay cut or we’re prepared to continue to fund a proportion of wages.

Even if (I) was true the likely saving on (II) is so limited that we’re better off keeping the player (not specific to Kal, this came up loads with Joe Williams)

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

22 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Should we move anyone on

Any new additions will push from a top 6 side to chasing the top 2.

• Haha 5

Naismith, Mehmeti, Weimann.

How many takers will there be? All have some strengths and weaknesses.

Are we wanting rid of some or all of them anyway- Manning was keen in Mehmeti according to an early article iirc. Still think there is a player in there anyway...

Weimann more of a case but he is over 30, has had injuries. Naismith ditto- albeit I'd be keen on him starting if he were fit- his lack of fitness will be a disincentive to clubs who maybe looking at him.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

59 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Should we move anyone on

53 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Attempt failed.

Yup!

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

We need a goalkeeper, convinced again he is too easy to score against and foot work is poor. 

In addition to that a creative CM who can score goals, plus a pacy left winger in Semenyo mould and a powerful, quick striker. 4 players, not going to happen but it’s what we need. 

These players with the attributes that Semenyo had are a massive rarity unfortunately. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

A keeper, scott twine and adam idah would be a good start,, though i dont see any reason to think we might finish between 10-15th, unless we go on a really bad run, which is certainly possible 

So. That’s a new keeper. £5m signing and Prem wages Scott Twine and 30+ prem games age 22 on parachute wages Adam Idah.

It’s a nest egg. Not a chicken farm.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Idah seems fanciful, Twine how is he doing at Hull. Nothing wrong wirh the idea of a GK to challenge O'Leary, you need a bit of depth and competition to drive standards. Some areas we are lacking it due to injury.

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

So. That’s a new keeper. £5m signing and Prem wages Scott Twine and 30+ prem games age 22 on parachute wages Adam Idah.

Twine on loan at Hull, is possible he could be loaned to a 2nd Championship club if not going well there.

Everyone knows that January is not the best time to do  business but as BT said the club have summer targets that they might be able bring forward - we’ll just have to wait and see.

Its very likely that Manning will want to bring one or two players from Oxford - that begs an obvious question, could they make the step up in standard?

24 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

We might as well not bother then, we got 25 million for our best player a few months ago, a 5 million attacking midfielder in the right age group who has worked with our manager previously and is on loan at hull city shouldnt be out of the question, especially given what weve spent on so much shite over the years. If it is, then why are we bothering?

7 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

We might as well not bother then, we got 25 million for our best player a few months ago, a 5 million attacking midfielder in the right age group who has worked with our manager previously and is on loan at hull city shouldnt be out of the question, especially given what weve spent on so much shite over the years. If it is, then why are we bothering?

Dont get me wrong I agree with you but that’s not the message from on high. Without going over old ground in depth, had we spent a smidgen of that £25m after we got it on a couple of players this season could look very different right now.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Have to agree,, unless we are looking over our shoulders by then..

Yeah a relegation battle can bring albeit a negative one, excitement of sorts. Not that I want one, think we have enough to stay up but especially with the injuries not enough to join the pack chasing 6th.

Excitement isn't the word but a relegation battle not that I want one is more dramatic than midtable mediocrity.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Hmmm 1

47 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

We are maxed out on our wage budget already, so how can we bring any in? And we have a top 6 squad, so why would we need to?

I dont believe much that the club put out, including that there is no budget for new signings, im sure its been announced since that we might be looking to bring 1 or 2 in, in january,, there’s propaganda going on constantly. It their new manager wants a couple of signings the wage budget will be found.