IGNORED

Attempt to lift the gloom

Clutton Caveman

8 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I dont believe much that the club put out, including that there is no budget for new signings, im sure its been announced since that we might be looking to bring 1 or 2 in, in january,, there’s propaganda going on constantly. It their new manager wants a couple of signings the wage budget will be found.

Will add weight to a view that the hierarchy just cannot be trusted though.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Will add weight to a view that the hierarchy just cannot be trusted though.

I think we are way past that point! It would surprise no one if a new signing or 2 is confirmed in January to go against that wage budget is full story.

i don’t necessarily believe just signing new players all the time should be done… ideally several would be moved out to cut the wage bill, but that’s probably not likely til the summer now, if we are going to challenge, some quality is clearly required.

We need 

GK

CAM 

ST

do I think manning will be allowed to get those In  the building maybe but I don't think he will be afforded the finances to bring in the quality needed to push us on. Unless they have done some seriously good du diligence and have some gems hidden up there sleeves which going off our past recruitment I very highly doubt it. I would also say a RB to give Tanner a kick up the backside but with mccrorie coming back in Jan I beileve he will give us what we don't currently have in that position that's 1 competition and 2 an attack minded outlet on that side.

The players I'd like to see the back of is as follows 

Weimann 

cornick 

Both to be replaced with quality as I feel these two offer us absolutely nothing.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

A keeper, scott twine and adam idah would be a good start,, though i dont see any reason to think we might finish between 10-15th, unless we go on a really bad run, which is certainly possible 

Scott twine is playing a staring roll at promotion chasing Hull city not sure why he would come here unless we offer Burnley money for him and they have a recall option on his loan. Could be one to visit in the summer though! 

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Everyone knows that January is not the best time to do  business but as BT said the club have summer targets that they might be able bring forward - we’ll just have to wait and see.

Its very likely that Manning will want to bring one or two players from Oxford - that begs an obvious question, could they make the step up in standard?

Tbf cameron brannagan has been bossing that leauge for a couple of years now I'd argue he would adjust okay imo

4 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Scott twine is playing a staring roll at promotion chasing Hull city not sure why he would come here unless we offer Burnley money for him and they have a recall option on his loan. Could be one to visit in the summer though! 

Exactly that,, could we afford it?? Yes clearly we have the funds for that level of signing, but whether the club are willing to do it is another matter.

7 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

We could look to offer a more attractive financial offer to Burnley to loan him for half a season, it isn't unheard of.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We could look to offer a more attractive financial offer to Burnley to loan him for half a season, it isn't unheard of.

But then if your scott twine playing regularly, confident and helping a team towards a promotion push would you want to come here ? Personally I'd be telling burnley to leave me where I am! The summer is totally different because then you have a player surplus to requirements at burnley unless they go down who then may be interested given his past associations with manning and hogg plus I think we can do the wages ( he will know he won't be able to pick up his prem salary in the championship) and I feel he could be convinced this of course all goes out the window if say a middlesbrough westbrom or Norwich come in for him who would just blow us clean out of the water much to my frustration.

Edited by BCFC31

2 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

But then if your scott twine playing regularly, confident and helping a team towards a promotion push would you want to come here ? Personally I'd be telling burnley to leave me where I am! The summer is totally different because then you have a player surplus to requirements at burnley unless they go down who then may be interested given his past associations with manning and hogg plus I think we can do the wages ( he will know he won't be able to pick up his prem salary in the championship) and I feel he could be convinced this of course all goes out the window if say a middlesbrough westbrom or Norwich come in for him who would just blow us clean out the water.

Norwich could financially, West Brom more on pitch than off their financials are questionable, Middlesbrough yeah bigger club.

Oh Norwich are out of Parachute Payments after this year, may have to tighten their belt somewhat more.

Isn't always up to the player, albeit as you say is unlikely as Hull going well and chasing the playoffs etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Norwich could financially, West Brom more on pitch than off their financials are questionable, Middlesbrough yeah bigger club.

Isn't always up to the player, albeit as you say is unlikely as Hull going well and chasing the playoffs etc.

Personally the best thing to do which I'm sure happens anyway is put the feelers out to twines representative's and gauge if twine would be interested. Then enquire to burnley but this would be a very speculative approach with the chances of a happy player getting games in a promoting chasing side coming to a side which let's be honest is clearly destined for mid table obscurity is highly unlikely.

• Like 1

The time for Twine was 3 years ago when he was leaving Swindon on a free. 
Too late now. 

For what it’s worth, I think January will see us “bring forward” the Gardner-Hickman deal. That will be made permanent with the additional fee of £700k. 

I think the only other incoming will be an attacking midfielder. But it may not happen as we certainly won’t overpay.

I don’t think anything else in midfield happens until the summer when James & Williams are out of contract. And King. 
Basically means there’s 3 squad places in midfield to be filled in the summer, with Knight & TGH staying. 

However, if it were me, I’d have a new Gk, Rb, Rcb, Dm, Am. That ain’t happening though! 

• Thanks 1

@Harry I believe the agreed fee is £1.300m, and we’ve already paid a loan fee of £0.700m (making it realistically a £2.000m transfer).

You could argue that if we did this in January, we might ask for a refund of some of his loan fee, but then West Brom would ask for the difference to be added to the fee.

I’d like us to bring this forward purely because he can play against West Brom if we do the deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCFC31 said:

Tbf cameron brannagan has been bossing that league for a couple of years now I'd argue he would adjust okay imo

I take no interest in the lower leagues so wouldn’t know that but it’s pretty obvious Manning would want to sign any of Oxfords better players.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I hope to be proven wrong but I think this sesson will drift to nothingness by mid March.

If we can bring forward some summer business that could help but what's the point really.

Half a season of bedding new signings in to our tippy tappy sideways patterns in competitive games, rather than off season training and friendlies.

Ideal scenario is we ofload the out of contract ones we don't want and sign their replacements all in January. Then we wake up and it was all a dream.

Most likely, no departures but Pearson's budget is miraculously increased and the new boy is allowed a few quid to spend.

A tippy tippy CM and a LW would be handy. Then play Sykes in his best position and Conway or Wells should score enough goals to stave off a relegation battle.

Hardly top 6 though is it.

"See you in the Prem" 😆

6 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Budget was maxed out in August wasn’t it?

Shouldn’t be any signings without people leaving.

I dont believe this for a minute. SL has always backed new managers too so im sure we’ll see 2-4 signings in Jan. 

Then the ‘budget is maxed’ comments will be like the departure of Nige, all lies!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

We are maxed out on our wage budget already, so how can we bring any in? And we have a top 6 squad, so why would we need to?

Was chatting to my cousin the other day, and he says exactly the same thing. Can someone chime in here who knows the actual nailed on facts to this, maybe @Mr Popodopolous he was saying that no matter what money we've brought in due to transfer activity, i.e. Scott and semenyo, makes no difference as the wage bill is maxed out and this is linked to FFP?

Didn't entirely believe him at the time, but didn't have all the facts either. It made no sense to me that we could bring millions in via transfer revenue, but couldn't spend it on wages!

I was just speculating tbh.

I was wondering if we somehow had agreed a kjnda Business Plan with the EFL in prior years and were still having to stick to it but yeah that would be ridiculous @McNasty Filth

Had we not sold Scott perhaps we would be close to limits- I was speculating as Huddersfield seem to have their hands tied for reasons thst aren't entirely clear.

Otherwise our policy makes zero sense.

I now believe we are well clear of FFP.

1 hour ago, BCFC31 said:

Hull having a good season. Good players, good manager  No reason to think they'll fall on their arse.

So if we wait until the summer, he'll either stay at Burnley because they've been impressed by his form or Hull will buy him.

So January is our only window to gazump them.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Half a season of bedding new signings in to our tippy tappy sideways patterns in competitive games, rather than off season training and friendlies.

Ideal scenario is we ofload the out of contract ones we don't want and sign their replacements all in January. Then we wake up and it was all a dream.

Most likely, no departures but Pearson's budget is miraculously increased and the new boy is allowed a few quid to spend.

A tippy tippy CM and a LW would be handy. Then play Sykes in his best position and Conway or Wells should score enough goals to stave off a relegation battle.

Hardly top 6 though is it.

"See you in the Prem" 😆

Sykes on the left definitely isn't an experiment we should revisit.

Shame if Mehmeti has stalled totally as when he first came in he looked exciting. Bell has promise but has stalled of late.

Not terribly inspiring is it the whole current state of play- could think Naismith could help in midfield but another rebuild fills me with huge indifference. Hope it's building on the good things that were inherited not a 120 degree shift.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Naismith, Mehmeti, Weimann.

How many takers will there be? All have some strengths and weaknesses.

Are we wanting rid of some or all of them anyway- Manning was keen in Mehmeti according to an early article iirc. Still think there is a player in there anyway...

Weimann more of a case but he is over 30, has had injuries. Naismith ditto- albeit I'd be keen on him starting if he were fit- his lack of fitness will be a disincentive to clubs who maybe looking at him.

If we were going to move either weimann or Naismith on ( which I don’t think we will tbh ) it would be weimann for me atm offers absolutely nothing as for Naismith ( when fit arrrgggghh ) I think we are a better team with him in it .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, redkev said:

If we were going to move either weimann or Naismith on ( which I don’t think we will tbh ) it would be weimann for me atm offers absolutely nothing as for Naismith ( when fit arrrgggghh ) I think we are a better team with him in it .

Will be a real shame if AW left in that way, though he really is struggling at the moment.

He’s always given 100% for City, rarely playing in his preferred position, and at one time was even filling in at AWB for NP.

Other than GK and Left and centre back he’s played pretty much everywhere I think. 

• Like 1

First, we have a small squad so any additions will have to be additions . Otherwise anyone we give away, which seems to be the idea will have to replaced by 2 and we don't have the budget .

That said , I am 100 % convinced there will be money, maybe not as much as we'd like but some.

We won't sign a keeper. Bentley was what I thought was a bargain £2m , so to improve on what we have it would cost about double that IMO. Ain't gonna happen.

I would say we need a left footed AMF , someone to play on the left. 

I would like a striker, but you have to doubt getting one without substantial funds. 

54 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sykes on the left definitely isn't an experiment we should revisit.

100% , he has looked so out of sorts out there. What annoyed me was when he went back to the right Sunday, we created a couple of chances and scored, then we went back to him on the left .

Shame if Mehmeti has stalled totally as when he first came in he looked exciting.

I thought he looked decent in a couple of cameos, playing centrally at Cardiff I thought he looked good. Needs work , but something there IMO.

Bell has promise but has stalled of late.

Been disappointed with him this year , if we had a solid option he would have been benched a while ago.

Not terribly inspiring is it the whole current state of play- could think Naismith could help in midfield but another rebuild fills me with huge indifference. Hope it's building on the good things that were inherited not a 120 degree shift.

I still think we have the bones of a good squad and a few that could improve. If we could add a couple of bits of quality some how , I don't think we're miles away. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luke_bristol said:

Will be a real shame if AW left in that way, though he really is struggling at the moment.

He’s always given 100% for City, rarely playing in his preferred position, and at one time was even filling in at AWB for NP.

Other than GK and Left and centre back he’s played pretty much everywhere I think. 

I agree about 100% but like you say he is struggling at the moment and has for a while , we as a club really need to start being much stronger and resilient and make some tough decisions I always feel like we as a club and a team has a soft under belly 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Hull having a good season. Good players, good manager  No reason to think they'll fall on their arse.

So if we wait until the summer, he'll either stay at Burnley because they've been impressed by his form or Hull will buy him.

So January is our only window to gazump them.

I dont reackon we stand a chance any way you look at it. why would he go now when if he carries on his form at hull and let's say hull get promoted he stands a stong chance of being signed on a perm by a Premier league club if he were to leave Burnley. I'd say he is abit out of our range now unfortunately. 

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, McNasty Filth said:

Was chatting to my cousin the other day, and he says exactly the same thing. Can someone chime in here who knows the actual nailed on facts to this, maybe @Mr Popodopolous he was saying that no matter what money we've brought in due to transfer activity, i.e. Scott and semenyo, makes no difference as the wage bill is maxed out and this is linked to FFP?

Didn't entirely believe him at the time, but didn't have all the facts either. It made no sense to me that we could bring millions in via transfer revenue, but couldn't spend it on wages!

At the end of the day, nobody on here knows, unless Gavin Marshall, Tom Rawcliffe, etc signed up for OTIB!!!

Nige told us we were at the top of our wage budget as the window was closing.

Phil Alexander told us we were too, and that the budget was set in March, and SL underwrote that budget and any overspend had Scott not been sold.

This is where the story unravels.

So was it wage budget, playing budget or some other budget?

In one of the interviews JL mentions both a wage budget and transfer budget, and he also mentioned top-ten budget (and Nige was underperforming against it).

Tins when challenged by Ed on SOTC that we didn’t have a top-ten budget and it was more mid-table, conceded  that it was mid-table.

Gavin Marshall on his ITV interview suggested the Scott money be spread across multiple windows to avoid the need to “wait to sell before we can buy”, ie get ahead of the game.

So, as you can see, the ones that should know can’t get a joined up story between them.

One thing I do know, is that we do not have to worry about FFP.

The second thing I know is that SL no longer wants to fund the operation of BCFC to the tune he was.  I’ve no idea whether he will revisit that stance now he’s got rid of Nige! 😉

Basically if SL wants to give LM’s squad a leg-up he can and he will.  The only budget constraint are dictated by SL.  FACT 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, luke_bristol said:

I thought he had a decent game on Sunday in the main.  He has been below par in recent games though.  I thought he was last okay v Sheffield Wednesday.

• Like 3